PDA

View Full Version : Weird Ends? Help?!

Jimothea
February 17th, 2011, 09:38 AM
The tips of my hair (bottom two inches, maybe) have a very strange texture to them, very similar to what I remember Barbie hair feeling like. I don't know how else to describe it, but they definitely do not feel "right," let alone healthy. Kind of...fake feeling, I guess? They've been this way for approximately two or three days, but it's really noticeable today. What to do?

The ends of my hair are really porous due to pre-LHC bad habits. I just finished with a really experimentive stage which left my scalp and me really unhappy, and went back to my tried and true CO-ACV rince-CO method, with a cold water finish and a touch of coconut oil/milk. I haven't done anything new to my hair yet this week; no DT's or clarifying or anything. The ACV rinse ratio I use is 1:1, because I have such hard water. The first CO is no-cone, the second CO is with-cones. I last did this Tuesday....

I compared my hair to Kirin's diagnostic article, even though I didn't do it with freshly-clarified hair as it suggested, and none of those options fit the way my hair feels, so I'm not sure what to do. Ordinarily, my hair dislikes protein, loves cones, and gets along very well with acid rinses.

I usually wouldn't clarify today unless I absolutely had to, but it is a wash day with the CO-ACV-CO routine. Now I'm wondering if I should clarify so I could figure out what's going on with my ends....I just hate how oily my scalp gets when I clarify too often.

Has anyone else dealt with sudden weird ends like this?Am I over analyzing? If there are any suggestions you wonderful folks might have, please let me know!!! TIA

Artsy
February 17th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I deal with all kind of buildup problems from water all the time. You can try chelating shampoo instead of clarifying, they work differently. Also try a club soda soak or a soak in very mild lemon juice or vinegar dilution with some heat on.
My ends usually get bent at the end and crunchy, but my hair is coarse, so it might feel different for you to touch.

xoxophelia
February 17th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I get that as well. The only two things I have found that take it away are either olive oil mixed with honey left in for 1 hour-overnight OR a dilute ACV rinse. Since you already do the second, I would try the first. It makes my ends floppy again.

pariate
February 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM
The tips of my hair (bottom two inches, maybe) have a very strange texture to them, very similar to what I remember Barbie hair feeling like.

Mine tends to feel like this because of dryness. Inflexible, dry... Barbie-like! I use a little coconut oil on the ends and give it a micro-trim, taking off a few millimetres. You'd be surprised at what a huge difference such a tiny trim can make!

krissykins
February 17th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I would also recommend a chelating shampoo, since you say you have hard water. It could be buildup.

BabyRay33
February 17th, 2011, 09:56 AM
OMG! I just solved this same problem a couple days ago. I used a protein treatment and then I used some olive oil moisturizing treatment and it cleared that feeling right up. I think this was the best method I have EVER used to get rid of that.

Anje
February 17th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I'd suggest clarifying. "Barbie hair" is how I describe mine with silicone buildup. If it's just the ends, you might be able to clarify only the ends and leave your scalp alone.

Jimothea
February 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I really love that LHC is filled with such wonderfully helpful and sincere people...I shudder to think what I would have done before I started lurking around here--probably ran for sizzors!

No chelating shampoo at the store in town (boonies) but I put in an unofficial request so maybe in a few weeks or a month. I've been considering geting one anyway. And since my hair doesn't like protein very much I didn't go that route...I did however tweak my DT and did a third CO, only on the length.

I don't want to jinx myself but it seems to have done the trick! Plus I think I might dust the ends tomorrow, just in case. Again, I really appreciate all of your wonderful tips!

Kathie
February 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I second using olive oil to get rid of those sort of ends :)

varintalonguard
February 17th, 2011, 08:30 PM
i've been having this same problem too for about the last week or so, i will have to try washing my ends, which i almost never do and get rid of any build up

freecelt
February 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
That's how the last 6 in of my hair always felt even with regular trims. Since I started taking care of my hair it's actually soft! Second things that help with moisture, glad to hear you found something that helped :)