PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie - General Questions

jujube
February 16th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm having some hair blah-ness these days and I have some questions for you guys.

1. For co-washers, I don't know if the problem is me not doing it right, or co-wash just not being for me. I use a light conditioner like Suave and apply it generously to my hair and leave it on for about 5-8 minutes, then rinse it out. But when my hair dries it feels moisturized but not that clean, like I still have sebum underneath a layer of conditioner (if that makes sense). Am I not rinsing thoroughly enough? Do I need to leave the condish on longer? Any input?

2. How do you know if your hair likes or doesn't like a certain oil? I use coconut oil as a pre-wash deep treatment, and today I tried to CWC it out without using that much poo, and there's still some oil left in it. My hair is not oily but rather kind of coconut-oily, soft and looking nice (I think) but not quite feeling like my hair. Could it mean coconut oil isn't the oil for me? Should I just wash it out more and use it as a leave-in instead?

3. All you coarsed hair-folk, how do you deal with your hair? Mine is so coarse and thick for its length, that it won't even move. It's feeling more like a "block" of hair. Would more moisture do the trick? Should I get it thinned out (I'm only at chin)? Could protein be the answer, or it is my enemy?

4. I admit I have dyed and flat-ironed before (and even after) discovering LHC. I don't know it that's the reason (my hair has always been this way, IIRC), but my cuticle takes a long while to lie down after washes. When my hair's just dried, it looks so frizzy and dry, and it takes a few hours for it to look normal again. Henna, protein, ACV and cold water don't seem to do anything. What can I do?

Thanks for any input. :cheese:

LisaMonster
February 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
1. For co-washers, I don't know if the problem is me not doing it right, or co-wash just not being for me. I use a light conditioner like Suave and apply it generously to my hair and leave it on for about 5-8 minutes, then rinse it out. But when my hair dries it feels moisturized but not that clean, like I still have sebum underneath a layer of conditioner (if that makes sense). Am I not rinsing thoroughly enough? Do I need to leave the condish on longer? Any input?
For me, personally, I have to lather and scrub the same as I would with shampoo. What I do when CO-ing... I put a glob into my roots, scrub/lather, then let a little water run over it, so it thins out and starts running down the length, and I scrub/lather some more before rinsing it out, then I condition the length/ends. This is what works for me.

4. I admit I have dyed and flat-ironed before (and even after) discovering LHC. I don't know it that's the reason (my hair has always been this way, IIRC), but my cuticle takes a long while to lie down after washes. When my hair's just dried, it looks so frizzy and dry, and it takes a few hours for it to look normal again. Henna, protein, ACV and cold water don't seem to do anything. What can I do?
Jojoba oil while my hair is damp has done wonders for post-wash dryness/frizziness.

jujube
February 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hmm, we seem to have a similar hairtype (and color!) so I'll definitely give jojoba oil a try. Did you ever try coconut oil (or other oils), though? What was the difference for you?

krissykins
February 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Hi all,

I'm having some hair blah-ness these days and I have some questions for you guys.

2. How do you know if your hair likes or doesn't like a certain oil? I use coconut oil as a pre-wash deep treatment, and today I tried to CWC it out without using that much poo, and there's still some oil left in it. My hair is not oily but rather kind of coconut-oily, soft and looking nice (I think) but not quite feeling like my hair. Could it mean coconut oil isn't the oil for me? Should I just wash it out more and use it as a leave-in instead?

3. All you coarsed hair-folk, how do you deal with your hair? Mine is so coarse and thick for its length, that it won't even move. It's feeling more like a "block" of hair. Would more moisture do the trick? Should I get it thinned out (I'm only at chin)? Could protein be the answer, or it is my enemy?

1. I massage my scalp when I first apply conditioner and then again right before I rinse to loosen up the sebum.

2. Try applying a little bit less coconut oil. It could be that you are using too much. If it doesn't help, then I would experiment with different oils. I haven't ever had my hair react badly to oils I've tried, so this is the best suggestion I have :p

3. I don't know what to say to this one, as my hair type is only slightly coarse and thick, but definitely give protein a shot!

4. Are you adding enough moisture to your routine? Try a deep conditioning treatment like SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) if you haven't already :)

HTH!

Shermie Girl
February 16th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

When you CO, do you add some water to your head and really smush your hair well, as if you are shampooing your hair and massage your scalp well before doing your rinserinserinse? Agitation can really help work up a "suds" of sort and cleanse your hair. Hair cleaned by CO and with shampoo feel different. My hair when CO washed feels clean but softer, heavier, as if it is more dense, somehow. When shampooed, my hair is very light, bouncy, fluffy.

It sounds as if you are doing fine with your coconut oil. Well oiled hair feels a little different form hair that isn't oiled. Again, it can be clean, but have that heavier, more soft and dense feel to it. If your hair feels outright oily after washing, try using a little shampoo. When you pre wash oil, your hair should be thoroughly coated but not dripping in oil. If you over wash, you will strip all the oil away and defeat the purpose. :) If you think that your hair isn't fond of coconut oil, try jojoba, camelia, almond, olive... There are tons of lovely oils to try. And your hair may just love one or more of them. Mine likes jojoba and coconut oils.

I don't have coarse hair but I do have hair that loves to expand and pouff up and make a real pain in the keester of it's self after washing. As it dries, I need to put it up into a cinnabun for a few hours while it relaxes. Then when I take it down it is much smoother and behaves as it should. Crazy hair. :lol: Since your hair isn't long enough to put up, yet, try oiling it lightly after washing, using a little leave in conditioner, maybe something with a little silicone in it (cones and oils can work together) and try not to manipulate it too much. Maybe these things can help. Or just gently blow it dry on low heat to smooth it as it dries.

Dyeing, done right isn't evil. But dye does lift the cuticle a bit, making your hair more porous and more inclined to absorb moisture. If you like to colour your hair, be sure to pamper your tresses and do roots only touch ups to maximize condition and minimize damage and the possibility of breakage.

Flat irons are death to hair and should be rarely or never used. Seriously, flat irons are my only hardcore don't go there! as far as hair is concerned. Smashing your hair between two blazing hot plates and dragging them down the length is terrible for your hair. It causes the natural moisture in your hair to boil, causes ruptures, permanent bubbles as your hair cools and leads to splits and breakage. Silicone products can help the flat iron to glide down the hair easily but they can't protect your hair from the terrible damage a flat iron can inflict. And inflict fast. So, if you want your hair to look and feel better, consider ditching the flat iron.

There are gentler ways to smooth your tresses. Again, try a little leave in with silicone, or some smoothing drops, gently blowing it out on low heat using your fingers or a wide tooth comb when wet, then a paddle brush to polish as it finishes drying, then use a little polishing spray or drops to finish.

I hope this helps, a little. :D

LisaMonster
February 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hmm, we seem to have a similar hairtype (and color!) so I'll definitely give jojoba oil a try. Did you ever try coconut oil (or other oils), though? What was the difference for you?

I haven't tried coconut oil, so I can't say anything about it. I generally use EVOO for heavily oilings and jojoba as a leave in.

I like jojoba oil because it's light enough that my hair feels soft and not frizzy without being oily.

Roseate
February 16th, 2011, 09:12 PM
1: Ditto previous posters, you gotta massage that scalp, let it sit, then add a little more water and smoosh it all through your hair, then maybe massage some more. CO takes a little more elbow grease than shampoo, since there are no detergents. And rinse a lot.

3: My hair is just a block, period. More moisture helps, protein does nothing or makes it worse, but coarsies are never going to have that flowing slippery hair. It will get better as it gets longer and at least has a little swing to it.

Thinning was a nightmare for me, the shorter strands stick out at all crazy angles as they grow in and it is just bad news. I got mine thinned at around chin length and regretted it.

4: My hair is also bushy after a wash. Drying contained in some way helps- damp bunning or braiding, leaving it wrapped or plopped in a non-terrycloth towel for a good long time. I can't do hair wrapping but I imagine that would work too.

Anything that holds it down as it dries and keeps it moist a little longer makes it softer and sleeker. Also, leave-in conditioner or oil.

Hope your blahs improve!:)

Hi all,

Roscata
February 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM
4. Concerning the frizz, these are good threads to read (I use the lemon rinse myself and LOVE it):
Lemon Rinse (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745&highlight=lemon+frizz)
Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277)

1. And about the CO, have you checked out this thread yet: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) ?

Good luck! :D

jujube
February 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks so much for the replies every one. I thought I was the only one who experienced these issues, and I guess it made me feel like my hair wasn't normal and could never be beautiful when it grew. I think I just have some more experimenting to do as it grows, and I'll definitely give CO-washing another shot.