PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with my hair?

kristymarie87
February 16th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Firstly, i apologise for the dark pictures - i took them at the last minute last night.

So ive always had straight hair. Not even a slight wave to it.

I had the "pob" aline cut 2 years ago and have been growing it out. When i got the SL i noticed a kink, but put it down to just being at that flippy stage.

Now it seems i have waves? They arent super waves, more subtle. (spelling?)

So could this be due to the fact i straighten once per week? Caused from the damage? Or has my hair just decided to go wavy? I havent really tried making the most of the waves yet.

This is the back (i doubt you can see!)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/Bexley-20110215-00384.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/Bexley-20110215-00383.jpg

The left side (sorry for my crappy face! It was before bed!)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/Bexley-20110215-00379.jpg

The right

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/Bexley-20110215-00377.jpg

Could it just be that its curving to my neck?

My routine at the moment is condish on the ends, shampoo the scalp (as if CWCing) and using olive butter on the ends (my friend gave it to me, not sure what it is exactly). I have a quick brush and then leave it to air dry.

lyria
February 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
It looks to me like your hair does have a natural wave to it. Very pretty. :) I'm not sure what a "pob" aline cut is, but was your hair very short before? If so, subtle waves might not have had the chance to appear before being cut off. I like your waves and would vote to chuck the straightener altogether!

kristymarie87
February 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM
It looks to me like your hair does have a natural wave to it. Very pretty. :) I'm not sure what a "pob" aline cut is, but was your hair very short before? If so, subtle waves might not have had the chance to appear before being cut off. I like your waves and would vote to chuck the straightener altogether!

Sorry, forgot there are people from all over the world here. Its shorter at the back and gets longer towards the front. The back was shaved a bit and the front was to my chin. Pob comes from Victoria Beckham who was Posh spice who first had the haircut = Posh Bob = Pob!

I've never had waves before so this is new! I've tried scrunching and plopping but i cant get the waves to look nice! If i could and it didnt take forever i would!

Anje
February 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Those look like real waves to me. Maybe 2a-ish...

I've heard of people going wavier with some damage (such as from flatironing it), but in my experience it happens more when hair becomes more moisturized. So either of those could be the cause. Some of it could also be that your hair has simply changed since you last saw it this long; hair often changes texture over the course of our lives.

rena
February 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Well, it is possible it could be damage if you faithfully straighten once a week. Even with the best heat protectants that couldn't be too great for your hair.

Besides the straightening, if you're taking good care of it otherwise, your real texture could be coming out more if your habits have changed drastically. I've heard many accounts of people inadvertently straightening their hair and finding out it was actually wavy to some degree and not as straight as they thought. Some hair responds very quickly to certain things and can easily lose any textural pattern just by brushing, combing, blowdrying, etc. Other times, their hair just simply changed its texture. This varies.

Also, I'm not certain if this is just me, but I've noticed that with hair of any sort of actual texture, (not stick straight), mechanical and/or other damage can accentuate the texture, like for example, waves may noticably tighten...If the outer layer of the hairs have been damaged enough, the hair can become more porous because the cuticles have been raised and worn too many times. Heat will do this to cuticles. I know high porousity is reaking havoc on my hair at the moment and if I neglect to put conditioner in it before it dries, my wave pattern on the ends will go ballistic, with lots and lots of frizz, but the hair close to my scalp will feel soft and smooth.

Besides this, a short length for newer hair that has a texture which is not being hidden or changed too frequently may help bring out any movement as well because of lack of weight, though, again, this varies from individual to individual. Your hair may straighten considerably with more length, or get wavier. You never know with hair, which is what makes growing it so fun ;)

Yikes, I think I've rambled my way into oblivion. Sorry for the overly long explaination. I hope you find out what you need to know.

P.S. Your waves are so pretty! I wouldn't be worried about them if I were you.

jesis
February 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
The more layers I have, the more wavy/curly my hair becomes.

vanillabones
February 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM
My hair is naturally very very straight but whenever it hindered at just around my neck/shoulder length in my life mine did give a weird curve around my neck. Right now my hair is extremely damaged so when I don't brush after showering and sleep on it I wake up with a lot of damagy-type wavies and curlies, it's weird for me but I am also hoping it's natural and came with growing older. Your hair looks so pretty I hope the waves stay ^_^

curlychica702
February 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry, forgot there are people from all over the world here. Its shorter at the back and gets longer towards the front. The back was shaved a bit and the front was to my chin. Pob comes from Victoria Beckham who was Posh spice who first had the haircut = Posh Bob = Pob!

I've never had waves before so this is new! I've tried scrunching and plopping but i cant get the waves to look nice! If i could and it didnt take forever i would!

i like that posh bob=pob thats so funnny

Mesmerise
February 16th, 2011, 07:09 PM
My hair has gotten curlier as I've got older! Go figure ;) Maybe the same thing is happening with you?

However, if you always straightened it before, then maybe it was hard to tell that it had a bit of wave, especially as it was shorter?? There are some lengths where a slight wave doesn't really show. If you were always straightening, well you wouldn't notice it at all ;)