PDA

View Full Version : When you joined LHC...

krissykins
February 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Were you more interested in finding out how to grow hair faster or how to take better care of your hair?

I'm asking because I've seen lots of "how can I grow my hair faster??" threads pop up and a lot of the replies are more about taking better care of your hair rather than actually speeding up growth.

I, personally, joined to take better care of my hair :cheese:

Roseate
February 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I joined for the hair care (I was looking for natural hair care recipes and more info on curly care), but since I was also growing my hair, I tried some of the "miracle treatments" when I first got here. Megatek, MSM, biotin, scalp massage.

Nothing worked, so I settled in to watch my hair grow at its own slow and steady pace!

Chamy
February 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I joined for the care. I actually don't believe in the miracle-treatments and don't have any urges to try them.

Izae
February 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Better hair care!
I figure that if I can take care of my hair properly, then it will look much better whatever length it is.

RedCat
February 16th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I joined to find more ideas for better hair care.

Anywhere
February 16th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I was growing my hair and wanted it to hurry up, and I knew it would mean I needed to take the best possible care of it. Then I found this place. :D

einna
February 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hair care!
But I am growing my hair too ;). I have not tried any of the fancy hair growth treatments, as I can not see how they could work. But never say never ;)

linnepinne
February 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I joined because of the hair care. But as a result, my hair HAS grown faster, and also (amazingly enough) thicker! My hair has increased its circumference with a whole 0.1 inches (3 mm)! It might not sound like much, but my hair strands are very fine, so there's alot of new growth on my head. I love LHC :)

krissykins
February 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hair care!
But I am growing my hair too ;). I have not tried any of the fancy hair growth treatments, as I can not see how they could work. But never say never ;)

Ah, yes, I am growing my hair too, and I assume most people on the boards are right now lol. I asked because I wondered if people came here looking for miracle growth treatments :p

I personally have found that castor oil on my scalp helps boost growth, as does taking vitamins, but I'm here for the hair care :)

joyellen
February 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I joined to learn about better hair care.

Regan
February 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM
i joined to learn about better care. as long as i get a respectable amount of growth in a year, it's healthy and i dont reach terminal before i'm happy with the length - all is well.

spitfire511
February 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I actually joined for the support in growing and updo ideas/instruction. All the care info was a wonderful bonus!

Angeletti
February 16th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I joined because I was going through a thin ends dilemma and wanted to ask for advice on that particular issue as well as wanting to learn how to take better care of my hair.

lapushka
February 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hair care. I knew that you couldn't rush hair growth. And although some people here seem to have great results with some of the earlier mentioned methods, it's just not my kind of thing, way too much of a hassle for the difference it makes. It'll grow.

When I first got here, I was overwhelmed. It took me a while. There's tons of information here on how to take care of your hair the best way possible.

What I'm most happy about to this day, is that I discovered that I don't have straight, but wavy hair (eye opener). I understood zip about my hair. Gaining some insight into my hair and hair care in general has made dealing with my hair so much more pleasant, and less saddening. I was so not happy with my frizzy texture, to the point of hating my hair.

monsterna
February 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Initially because I wanted to see about growing faster. Then I read about better hair care and I'm doing both now.

Madora
February 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
No, I already knew how to take care of my hair.

I joined because I was curious to see any different methods of hair braiding.

Fiordiligi
February 16th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I joined for all the great updos. I had had long hair for the majority of my life before then but never could get it looking reliably tidy and secure before LHC.

GlassWidow
February 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I joined because I like long hair, and want long hair for myself, but always end up cutting it off because it becomes unmanageable. So, I guess that's for the hair care...but I think of it as how to LET it grow. ;)

bluesnowflake
February 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Taking good care of it so it would grow faster.

Blandine
February 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I joined to learn more about what to do with my hair: how to make updos and braids, how to use hair toys, how to make hair toys.

HairColoredHair
February 16th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Hair Care, and updos are what I was looking for.

Come to realize while here, though, that the only way to get my hair to 'grow faster' is to take the very best care of it I can. :)

oktobergoud
February 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I joined because I wanted to take better care of my hair, but also so I could have some support/inspiration to let it grow! I've been trying to grow it for years but I'm very impatient and impulsive so I always cut it again :(

MissManda
February 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I actually found LHC through a random Google search for something unrelated to haircare. I remember I saw a beautiful photo of a member's hair and really wanted my hair to look like that, so I read up on taking better care of my hair and I've been around ever since! :D

Hatsumomo
February 16th, 2011, 02:57 PM
A bit of both really. When I joined, I had been playing with hair dyes and wanted to care for it properly so it would grow longer. I got side-tracked by henna and I now have shorter hair than I did when I first joined but it's much healthier as well:)!

Vorvolaka
February 16th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I joined more for the community, to be honest. I already took care of my hair (although it has got better since joining) and I don't really think anything can substantially increase your growth rate. I would love to be corrected though!

eshta
February 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I found this place while searching for henna recipes and general henna information, so I guess that falls under better haircare. I wasn't actively growing it then, it was somewhere between APL and BSL.
I joined (after lurking) because I fell in love with the look of long hair (it really has grown on me, lol :cheese:) and wanted to grow long myself.

growing2shine
February 16th, 2011, 03:31 PM
About six months before I joined, I stopped dyeing my hair and I wanted to grow it out (and looong). I remember I was searching for care for long hair, but the only thing I could find was long hair cuts and styles, and that was so annoying. I had been searching for months and didn't find anything useful... But then one day I found this place, and I soon joined! :D

cinemax
February 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I came here for growth and hair care. Didn't realize how badly I was treating my hair.:(

monkfish
February 16th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I joined for another reason, to get inspiration and strenght to let my hair grow out!
Its very inspiring to see how other peoples hair journeys turns out and so...

:)

jeanniet
February 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM
For hair care ideas, and just to hang out with like-minded people I really don't think there's a way to have a sustained increased growth rate--although I still do take my biotin and MSM, just in case. :D

enfys
February 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I came for the styling. :D

I joined here 5 years after another hair site so I wasn't exactly a haircare novice and I knew my growth rate.

RachieBaby
February 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I was looking for ways to make my hair grow faster, but i knew it would only grow faster with better care (stop it breaking off at the ends) and thats how I ended up here :) So I guess mine was both :)

Lianna
February 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I came for the hair growth, not "miracle" hair growth, but when one can double their hair growth is pretty impressive and "worth the hassle" to me! Here isn't the first place I looked for faster hair growth, so I knew it was possible. It is not just the result of hair care (retention wise)!

It's fun to try the new hair care routines, but I didn't come here for that and I'm happily back to my old pre-LHC routine. Unheatstyled, virgin hair in protective updos isn't the only way to grow healthy shiny soft strong hair (some of these are just genetic anyway). I only do things to my hair that I know it can stand.

A little bonus for me was all the styling and hairtoys. I mainly just read the sections related to hair.

wildblue
February 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I found LHC after a google search for growing hair faster, hahaha. After reading a few of the articles on here I decided I simply need to take better care of my hair. I used to pile it all on my head to wash & condition, then rub it with a towel, and then rip a comb through it. : Shudders : My poor hair lol, I am amazed it isn't in worse shape.

Cirafly24
February 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I actually joined for the support in growing and updo ideas/instruction. All the care info was a wonderful bonus!

This, exactly. I was bored with my hair, and rather than cut it (which is what I've always done in the past), I wanted to find out more things to do with it. I just wish I'd found LHC sooner!

princessp
February 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I didn't join for either of those reasons. I found LHC and was just so excited to find so many other long hairs in one place. As a pretty much life-long long hair myself I had to join!

jujube
February 16th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I believe I initially came across LHC when I started to not like my pixie anymore, and was looking for hair growth tips. The hair care advice I have found on here is just amazing.

Kaeita
February 16th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I actually found LHC through a random Google search for something unrelated to haircare. I remember I saw a beautiful photo of a member's hair and really wanted my hair to look like that, so I read up on taking better care of my hair and I've been around ever since! :D

Yep, this!

I'm still figuring out what my hair likes in terms of a routine. Also trying to figure out what I was doing when my hair was growing fast (1cm in 4 days, for over a month), that I'm not doing now, that caused my hair to stop growing all together. But that's not why I joined.

jaine
February 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I honestly just wanted a treadmill of sorts ... I want to read about hair care and "feel" like I'm moving forward and making progress with my hair growth ... when actually my hair is growing at the EXACT same rate that it would if I weren't here! Yay! Oh, I love irony.

LisaMonster
February 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'll admit it, I was looking for how to make my hair grow faster. :P

jaine
February 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Now that I think back in more detail I probably also joined because I'll need some moral support when I get to the awkward stages and I want to trim ... I'll need encouragement to keep growing even if I get cowlicks and whatnot. My growth rate is the same with or without this forum, but I'm definitely trimming less. There was a time several years ago when I couldn't go more than a couple of weeks without trimming my own hair (which I think was a sort of OCD urge to make it look even and perfectly oval-shaped.)

Becky Safari
February 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
The first time I discovered LHC was when I was looking to grow my hair longer, faster. When I finally joined it was to learn to take better care of my hair

ellen732
February 16th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I found this place by using Google to find ways to trim my hair myself. I joined because I found better ways to take care of my hair and I also became interested in Henna. The bonus for me was all of the buns I learned and the hair toys I purchased.

jasper
February 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hair care. I never thought there were ways to get hair to grow faster.

RocketDog
February 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I first stumbled upon tLHC looking for information on coconut oil for hair, and stuck around for the herbal haircare and hairtoys :D

Red_Wednesday
February 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Definitely for hair care. I never thought growing hair faster was even an option.

Hotrox
February 16th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I found it through google when looking for ways to grow my hair faster

Then I got reading about better hair care and it was a light bulb moment :D

Better hair care = faster growth

utdesertrunner
February 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Faster hair growth....I'll admit it....but now that I'm here I've learned that faster hair growth is really achieved by treating it better. I had no idea how bad heat and product were. A whole new world has been opened up to me with natural hair care, henna, updo's, hair toys!

Although I'm sure I'll try some of the "miracles" along the way too!

1hunky5monkeys
February 16th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hair care. :)

kteachone
February 16th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I stumbled upon LHC when searching for long hair styles. I stayed because one--hairtoys are awesome! and two-because I love learning about hair care.

Shermie Girl
February 16th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Definitely for better haircare. :D

Your growth rate is your growth rate. All the vitamins, water, stuff you smear on your scalp isn't really going to do much, if anything to change that. But better care means better hair. And, no matter how fast your hair grows, if it is looking and feeling fabulous, the process is a lot more enjoyable. :)

rena
February 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I know the hair's going to grow no matter what I do, but it sure won't care for itself. I would definitely say for the haircare all the way! After all, healthy hair is awesome at any length (just a little more so when loooonger) :D

Debra83
February 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Growing fast!!!!!! But, I'm taking better care of my hair as well, and learning all sorts of stuff I never even thought to look for.

Jenn of Pence
February 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I suppose I came for hair care because I'd lost so much length to poor hair care. I just assume my hair shall progress slowly and steadily towards a healthy, long length. :)

Mountaingrrl
February 16th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I joined because I like long hair, and want long hair for myself, but always end up cutting it off because it becomes unmanageable. So, I guess that's for the hair care...but I think of it as how to LET it grow. ;)

This sums up my reason for coming here exactly.

ericthegreat
February 16th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I already had long hair for years before I even joined. When I joined, I was looking for a forum where other fellow longhairs were posting. Along the way, I of course also came across all the different hair care articles and recipes, and I tweeked my own routine into something that best fit me. I CO regularly every day, do a coconut oiling about once a week, and about once a month I clarify with a pH balanced shampoo.

pepperminttea
February 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I found it by accident after I'd already been experimenting with 'alternative' haircare for a while; not so much for a purpose as a happy accident. It's been really useful though? :)

boudica
February 16th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I came because I was searching for ways to control my split ends. Since arriving here, I've found that 99% of what I thought was damaged ends is actually new growth! It just doesn't look good when it's damp. I'm coming off of an illness that affected my hair growth and it's all coming back. yay!

I've never had hair as long as I really wanted. I'm going to try for hip or tailbone length. I've learned so much here. I'm trying megatek. It's only been a couple of weeks, and I haven't measured, but my fingernails are growing like crazy and I think I could claw my way through concrete!

I've stayed for a lot of reasons. One of the biggest is that it's an international community of diverse people who are all patient and willing to wait for something worthwhile, and willing to nurture something beautiful.

If there were more people like the people in this community, the world would be a much better place.

Hiriel
February 16th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I joined to learn more updos. Then I learnt the nautilus bun and fell into a very deep rut ;)

Masara
February 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I found LHC when I was looking for bun instruction for my daughters. I had very short hair then and I wans't really contemplating growing it. I got fascinated by the discussions about more natural haircare and kept coming back.

Six months on, I decided to grow my hair .... to my shoulders!! So I joined mainly to get any help possible to grow faster, mainly because I was dreading that terrible growing out stage from chin to shoulders.

milagro
February 17th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Were you more interested in finding out how to grow hair faster or how to take better care of your hair?

The latter. I'm not really in a rush to grow out except for the top/side layers.Sometimes I wish my hair grew faster when I see some updo I can't manage with my current length, but overall I take it as it is.
I was in search of good routine to make my hair more healthy(looking) and TLHC has been an immense source of helpful tips! :flowers: It's friendly and fun, too :D

sakuraemily
February 17th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I joined because I realised that this is the one-stop hair destination.

varintalonguard
February 17th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I actually joined for both. I've seen this community for a few years but I've only lately been interested in growing my hair and with it came a want to take care of it the best that i could. Its odd, when it comes to beauty my house is all backwards...as in I am now teaching my mom how to better care for her hair.

owlathena
February 17th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I joined because I'm obsessed with growing my hair as long and as fast as possible...but whats the point of having long hair if you don't take care of it? So yeah I do all the growth things-castor oil, MN, massage, vitamins-but I also need advice on general care and updos so I don't cause too much damage and have to cut it all off.

Mírien
February 17th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Last autumn I decided to continue growing my hair at least to tailbone. But I not only want to have it long but in the best possible condition. So I started searching for better hair care tips and that's how I found LHC. :eek:

Yamainu
February 17th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I came for the hairstyles - I could barely do an english braid. Now at least I can manage a rope, a cinabun, and and a nautilus.

Nera
February 17th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Better care!

Amelia
February 17th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I had been already growing my hair since July 2009, but I wasn't really taking care of it, more like benign neglect. Then I found out about the LHC and decided to swim in the sea of information that this forum is. I'm now capable of taking good care of my hair.

Second reason would have to be the hairstyles- possibly the most important reason why i decided to let it grow. I've learned so much, became a little wizard with braids ;)

As for fast growth- I learned to be patient. My hair will never grow fast or fast enough for me. It doesn't grow slow, mind you. But the shrinkage i get from my curls *sigh* well, I live with it.

Lielananna
February 17th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I joined because I was looking for some new an interesting hairstyles to do as I was getting tired of my basic braids and cinnabuns. I've also learned a lot about different care techniques, but I'm on the lazier side of the fence so I don't do as much as I probably could to take better care of my hair, but I figure its gotten this long and looks this good this way, it can't all be bad :).

Sientara
February 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I came for the hair styles. I could already do a french braid and a cinnabun, but I was wanting to learn how to do more. Since I am at BSL, I cannot do many of them yet, but I am trying. I am close to getting a presentable crown braid, again. I used to be able to do them. :p The hair care advice was an added bonus.

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2011, 09:00 AM
For me it was both. I wanted to grow long hair really fast but I learned that the only way to grow hair "faster" is if it's healthy and well taken care of. I think of my hair as a plant. :D If I water it, prune it, give it healthy nutrients, it will grow and hopefully blossom one day....

lokiveil
February 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I originally joined to learn more about henna, secondary was better hair care, and growing my hair is a plus, but not something I am too worried about. I deal with such straight thin hair that just keeping split ends away is enough for me:)

Artsy
February 17th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I joined when I started CO washing, and decided to look around the net if others ever do the strange thing like this and to see if I wasn't crazy:D Surprisingly, I have found a lot of haircare advise, and found out that long hair can look good if properly cared for.

elaiesusandavie
February 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM
for me it's all about the support and encouragement..and all the cool styles too

SummerSkye
February 17th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I joined a couple of years ago after reading about it on a belly dance site I went on. At the time I read for a bit but had to stop as at that time I was suffering from hair loss and lhc actually made me feel a bit depressed because of all the gorgeous hair pics on the site and no matter what I did my hair continued to fall out! I stayed away for a couple of years only lurking occassionally but have become completely addicted since I have managed to hopefully stop the hair loss and Im looking for any help and advice from the people here. I also find this site very friendly with some lovely sounding people. Ive learned loads of things about hair care already!

Nipushiau
February 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I joined for both reasons, having come to the conclusion that my hair was growing slowly because I wasn't caring for it properly. I also like the sense of community and support from talking with other long hair enthusiasts, which doesn't happen very much in my day to day life otherwise.

For example, my co-worker confessed to once having ankle length hair at one point and then chopping it all off. She said that the lady at the beauty parlor cried while she was cutting it. I said that I would have cried, too, but my co-worker could only talk about how much of a pain it was to take care of.

Also, I like admiring the pictures both of so many beautiful heads of hair and so many pretty hair toys. ;)

Aarlene
February 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I was looking for styles and less harmful coloring.

SeaPhoenix
February 17th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I actually found LHC while looking for hairstyles. I'd had hip length at that time, and was stumped with what to do with it aside from a braid, bun, ponytale, or loose hair. Better haircare came after, as I began reading through more and more of the forums.

silverjen
February 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I first came for inspiration to help me stop compulsively chopping. That's been a success. My goal length is much shorter than that of most other people here, but now I have a much better chance of getting there and staying there.

Once I started reading i became completely fascinated by the breadth and depth of the collective knowledge on this site. It empowered me to take better care of my hair and also of the rest of myself. So ultimately it became all about better care.

Nae
February 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Oh my, I have always wanted to grow out my hair but always got frustrated because it ended up so dry and damaged on the ends. I was googling growing out healthy hair and ta da!!! Here you all were, and you sucked me in like some sort of pod people. (But I love you for it!)

Coan-Teen
February 17th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I joined as motivation to stick out the growing out phase from chin to shoulder, but I stayed for the care tips. I'm not really interested in trying to achieve faster growth. It'll get there on its own as long as I can chill out and let it do its thing.

At the moment I'm experimenting with different washing methods. I tried CO and it left my hair too flat for my tastes so I've switched to WO when I shower and intend to wear my hair up. If I want to wear it down, however, I do a scalp only CO wash to break up some of the sebum and blow dry to set in the down style. So yeah, I'd say I've stayed for the care tips.

Quixii
February 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I was pretty content with my hair, so I just joined because I thought we might have good discussions about hair. I pictured funny stories involving really long hair, or at least people that can relate to events that happen involving hair.

Cholera
February 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I joined for both reasons, I suppose. I wanted to learn how to grow my hair longer, and faster, by taking care of it better. I knew straightening it every day was probably making the ends break off, and I wanted to learn how to salvage the rest of my hair.

maddog_running
February 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Inspiration and motivation, I've made changes to my routine veeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly. But mostly I'm here for the community and motivation to not cut while I grow out my mohawk.

2peasinapod
February 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I joined for both reasons, but mostly to see if I could grow my hair faster. I was interested in the hair care, too, but mostly because I wanted my hair to look nice when I was growing it as fast as I could. I also wanted to learn how to do the fabulous updos I saw on here (and have enough hair for them, ASAP, of course ;))

I stayed because this was the largest resource for hair care and the best natural hair care forum I could find. The members were (and still are :p) super, and my hair looks the best it ever has. So, yeah, I kind of shifted priorities. :)

squintinschool
February 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I joined because of the updos? No really, my main motivation was things like the Elling woman bun, and all the awesome braids.

JulietCapulet
February 18th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I joined so I could get support for having long hair, despite people encouraging me to chop it.

Nini
February 18th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I came across the boards while searching for instructions on bunning, and where to get decent hairsticks. Back in 2003 actually, but I didn't join for a couple of years:)

hanne jensen
February 18th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I joined for both reasons. I've always wanted very long hair but have never been able to have it. I wanted to learn how to care for my hair so it didn't look like a fried haystack. I also wanted to learn how to get my hair to grow faster. Since joining LHC I've learned both.

luxepiggy
February 18th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I'd been maintaining at the same length for years before I found LHC - definitely joined mostly to learn about better hair care. I also wanted to see if I could learn some cool new hairstyles! (^(oo)^)v

cuticom
February 18th, 2011, 02:01 AM
I guess I joined for both reasons. My hairs been thinning for a while now and I've had to steadily chop it shorter, so I'm here both to learn how to look after it in it's weakened state and also how to get it to grow back.

annieangel149
February 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
i joined because i was worried about my dry/damaged hair and was looking for ways to help it without having to cut the ends! i learnt some great tips on caring for my hair. and then of course the added bonus of discovering MN Cream that really boosts my growth! i did have to accept that trimming away my damaged ends was my only option! my hair is soo much healthier and it is stronger, longer and thicker already and i have only been here since december! thankyou LHC xx

charalito
February 18th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I lurked for several years always looking for hair care tips, specially since I ditched shampoo a year ago. And I joined so I could make like minded friends and share my findings.

Crazy fast hair growth? That doesn't happen to me unless I fall in bed sick, but since I don't want to get sick, better take good care of the tresses because it's going to be a long journey to waist :)

homeschoolmama
February 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM
For me it's about taking better care of my hair. I'd love if my hair could have grown longer, but at this point I'm most interested in seeing how healthy & enviably-shiny I can keep it.

Laurenji
February 18th, 2011, 09:20 AM
You know, I actually don't remember why I joined, except that I stumbled on the LHC when googling how to dye my hair with kool-aid. (Don't ask.) Thankfully, because of a thread on here, I didn't. I think I stayed for the hair care though. I think I was just intrigued.

NouvelleNymphe2
February 18th, 2011, 09:21 AM
i joined to learn more about henna. i had no idea i wasn't really taking good care of my hair with my daily coney S&C, blowfryer, and metal styling round brush. once i started to read my eyes were opened, to say the least, to what taking care of one's hair really means. i'll just keep on reading :)

heidihug
February 18th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Neither. My hair was already quite long by most people's standards (45"+), so I didn't give a wit about getting it to grow faster, or how to take better care of it. I already knew through experience about protective updos, oiling and the importance of a healthy diet.

I just wanted to be around like-minded people, get ideas for updos and hair toys, etc. Honestly, I don't do much of anything different, regimen-wise, now than I did before I found the LHC.

BrightEyes7
February 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I joined to learn how to take care of my hair better and how to style long hair. I knew how to do one bun, and do braids too (english,french, dutch), but I wanted different buns. Different ideas of how to deal with so much hair. I'd never had very long hair and when I joined here I was at my longest (at the time). I was between BSL and Waist.

Now I'm at about hip, maintaining here trying to grow out dye!

3azza
February 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM
What attracted me the most about LHC were the beautiful updos and the info about ingredients. I already had healthy waist length hair and was using oils and henna, but after spending sometime here i wanted more length. Now i have learned how to do other than english braids and i have adopted CO method which i feel is helping me gain more length, but on the expense of defined curls, will see about that.

Gypsy Librarian
February 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I joined because I wanted to learn how to care for my hair better. I know it grows just fine on its own, but I want it to be healthy so it looks its best, therefore making me look my best!

LILBERT
February 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I actually found LHC because i was googling for long hair styles. I wanted to learn some new updos. I lurked for a good two years, then joined because i wanted to be a part of this awsome community. I felt like you guys were the only ones who understood how i felt about my hair.

CaityBear
February 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM
The hair care. My hair already grew pretty fast. I had went from chin length to about BSL before I decided I seriously wanted to grow my hair out which meant taking care of it.

Of course now my hair is slowing to a stop and I'm hoping that I won't hit terminal. I would cry if I hit terminal now. :(

Rapunzelwannabe
February 18th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I joined for prettier hair faster. Before I signed up I read enough to know that there's not a lot to make growth speed up so although I jump on growth bandwagons if it sounds like people are getting good results (and I just love scalp massages) but I don't obsess over every cm.

CariadA
February 18th, 2011, 10:40 PM
My hair naturally grows at least an inch a month, so that wasn't really a concern of mine.
I really wanted to learn about good hair care and how to thicken hair and keep a healthy hemline.

Tia2010
February 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I was googling for articles on argan and other oils and came across LHC. I joined for the hair care tips but would love if faster growth was a side effect ! :D

AnnaJamila
February 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hmmmm... I guess I'm kinda here for both!

crystal_89
February 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Hah! I wanted my hair to grow faster.

Cloverleaf
February 19th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I joined as my hair was growing longer and I wanted to see different styles, as well as get tips on hair care to aid in growing successfully. I continue to check in regularly, and get a lot out of the recommendations on the boards, and what works and doesn't work for others.

princess03
February 19th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I joined to learn about better hair care. I used to want to speed up growth but its not happening lol Well aftr my salon disaster last November my hair seemed to have grown an inch per month. is dat even possible? its been three months and ive almost gone back to my regular hair length yippy!

ScarlettAdelle
February 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Neither, for me, it was to obtain a support group of other ladies and gents who ignore people who tell them that long hair is basically a disease or something, and to find long, beautiful hair to ue as inspiration for growing my own.

I am/was a hairdresser for some time, I left the salon because I detest cattiness and now only do hair out of my home as a source of supplimental income and to keep my skills sharp should I decide to go back to the industry when long hairs are no longer seen as crazy. I got incredibly tired of the constant pressure to cut my hair, which I saw as disrespectful... but southern Californians seem to think everyone elses business is their business *eye roll*

Cowgirl16
February 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I joined LHC to learn how to keep my hair healthy; I also wanted to find ways to fix my hair other than my standard braid.

Finoriel
February 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I joined LHC to learn more about updos, which is in the "taking better care of it" category I guess :)

RedheadMistress
February 19th, 2011, 04:21 PM
- Both, I find that they're linked together .
My hair never really goes as long as I want it, even when I have been letting it grow for years because I do too much damaging things to it like straighten with a hair straightener/blowdryer, always on highest heat, bleach it lots, dye it a lot .

Now I use henna, straighten by using wrapping method (no heat,just water, clips, scarf + sleep) don't use hairstraightener or blowdryer . Used to straighten my bangs, now I just clip them to the side in order to stand them while they grow out . I use henna, I CO wash only, oil my hair a lot, braid it or wrap it while I sleep so it doesn't get damaged . . yeah that's some things I learned and do now, so I want it to be long And healthy .

Ofc I will keep my damaged bits but I put more emphasis on long than healthy, once it's long I can maintain the length and slowly trim damaged bits off if they're horrible !

Shell
February 19th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I already had tailbone length hair when I arrived--I came for the updos! I have tried hair vitamins (I'm not sure if they work or not--even after trying them), and MegaTek, which definitely worked. I have also learned a lot about great hair care.

ibleedlipstick
February 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I was losing my hair, and I wanted to find a way to stop the loss. In my desperate googling, this site came up. Although my shedding has just now started to slow down, after losing half of my hair, what little I have left is in awesome condition. Too bad I didn't have this site before :rolleyes:

boomtownrat
February 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I found LHC by googling for sulfate-free shampoo, which I was interested in at the time because I was dyeing my hair. Long hair wasn't really my main goal, just taking good care of my hair. The thread that made me join was the conditioner-only washing thread. After I started reading the Salt & Pepper Thread I soon decided to stop dyeing my hair, and I do use sulfates now, but I remain interested in hair care techniques.

svehex
February 19th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I joined to grow healthy hair, because last time I had to cut it off.

HeatherJenae
February 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I definitely found this site because I was just interested in long hair in general and mine was getting long for me, so I figure no one know's how to take better care of it than other people who have it and live with it! Of course I was interested in finding out if it could grow faster but eventually after a few big hair mistakes over the time I've been a member of LHC, my focus has definitely shifted to hair care. Because of LHC I bought coconut oil for the first time ever today and it has seriously changed the entire future of my hair. I can't stand frizz and I thought the only way to truly rid my hair of that was through serums and flat irons. Well that ruined my hair of course. Now, with the oil, my hair is SO soft and the frizz is gone. I can't stop touching it! I am so relieved and excited to think of the future of my healthy long hair. Thank you to all the members who contribute here.

Aveyronnaise
February 20th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I came here for support and to break the cycle of myself getting frustrated around BSL to APL. I never really knew that thick hair like mine has to grow out past that before you can do much with it in the way of updos and cool styles.
The support angle is that everyone wants me to chop it off so I need some voices to say that long hair is beautiful. I have learned some really cool interim styles here while my hair is growing out as well. I 've been reintroduced to henna too! I haven't used any yet but I used it as a teen and had fun with it.
I am just loving my time here and learning so much, LHC has also taught me to manage my expectations a bit for how long it takes to grow to certain lengths too. That helps with impatience, for some reason.

islandboo
February 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I had visited off and on for years whenever I wanted info about a particular product I was considering using but just joined because I am determined to keep my hair as healthy as I can. I actually just had 4 inches chopped off a few days ago because my ends were a bit dry and "scraggly" (i.e., fairytale - who knew there was such a sweet name for the look?) so I decided to cut off the dry stuff and work on keeping the ends as healthy as possible.

natatatt
February 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I joined to learn how to take better care of my hair as I grew it long, but was still interested in anything that would speed up the growth. I've since just settled in on accepting that it will take a few years, and I focus on care so I can get there quicker in the sense of not having to cut damaged hair off.

pariate
February 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
No question about it - how to take care of my hair, absolutely. I knew it would grow eventually, didn't even consider that I could do anything to hurry it along, so just wanted to focus on having hair that was WORTH growing, i.e. in good condition, looking good and feeling good :)

BunnyBee
February 20th, 2011, 10:16 AM
When I came here, I knew my hair was in awful condition, I'd seen the splits for myself and knew they had to be chopped!

Although I have tried a few wacky hair growth experiments, I wasn't looking for a miracle.
I think I was more interested in henna/indigo after I realised I could never use conventional hair dye again (allergy :( ) it was like a tragedy - "Natural hair colour? No thanks!"

So err... to answer, i suppose... hair care?

aznchck14
February 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I've been a die hard straightener for awhile because I never liked my hair texture but now my hair has seen the effects of all the abuse and never seems to grow past BSL so while I want my hair to grow, I know that I have to work on my hair health and good hair care first!

Solange
February 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I joined for the hair care, hoping to regain my lost thickness, and trying to replace the irreplaceable TLHS.

Schipperchow
February 20th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I joined, after lurking for years, for the hair care info because I was losing clumps of hair (which stopped once I identified the cause).

akilina
February 20th, 2011, 03:13 PM
both. but i know you cant make your hair grow faster.
i like learning all the different natural hair care that some on here use.
and now that im in beauty college to become a cosmetologist i always educate my guests on cool at home things that are natural that they can do.

jil
February 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Just joined this month! It was definitely for the hair styles. Two blogs mentioned this website as the best place to get style tips and inspiration.

christine1989
February 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I didn't really have an objective in mind when I joined- I just wanted to increase my knowledge of hair care in general. I was definatly interested in increasing growth but also learning about products to improve my hair's texture and decrease dryness.