PDA

View Full Version : How should I wash my hair?

CastaDiva
February 16th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Hi, I need some advice:) I wash my hair from the scalp down to the ends with shampoo every time and follow up with a protein and deep conditioning mask or just a conditioning mask. I then rinse, apply conditioner and rinse again. Now and again I do an ACV or beer rinse. I let my hair air dry before I sometimes apply a coney serum. Then I apply oil to the lengths, olive oil, sweet almond oil, camellia oil or argan oil. I apply more oil the following days. I usually wash my hair every three to four days and when I finally wash it, it is really, really greasy. My question is; is it a way to wash out all of the oil and the coney serum and get clean hair without using a shampoo down the lenths of my hair every time I wash or is shampoo necessary to be able to wash everything out?:)

Marjolein
February 16th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I can't answer your question in regards to the coney serum, but oils are easiest removed with conditioner. Just slap some conditioner on your dry (unwashed) lengths, wait 10 to 20 minutes and hop under the shower. Then you can shampoo your roots and let the suds (sp?) run down your length. After you've washed all the shampoo out, you might wish to use another layer of conditioner on your lengths.

chopandchange
February 16th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I use coney conditoner and sometimes a coney serum, and personally I don't find I have to shampoo at every wash.

If only using coney CO, I can generally get away with clarifying every couple of months.

If also using a heavy coney serum, it's more like weeks.

Have you actually tried not clarifying, to see if you get instant build-up, or are you just assuming you will?

Hope this helps.

Edit: just read it properly and see it's not build-up, it's grease.

Do you mean greasy at the roots?

If so, that might just be due to all the over-shampooing.

If greasy lengths, you're just applying too much oil.

CastaDiva
February 16th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I can't answer your question in regards to the coney serum, but oils are easiest removed with conditioner. Just slap some conditioner on your dry (unwashed) lengths, wait 10 to 20 minutes and hop under the shower. Then you can shampoo your roots and let the suds (sp?) run down your length. After you've washed all the shampoo out, you might wish to use another layer of conditioner on your lengths.
Thanks for your reply. I`ll try with conditioner only on my dry unwashed lengths and see how that works:)

CastaDiva
February 16th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I use coney conditoner and sometimes a coney serum, and personally I don't find I have to shampoo at every wash.

If only using coney CO, I can generally get away with clarifying every couple of months.

If also using a heavy coney serum, it's more like weeks.

Have you actually tried not clarifying, to see if you get instant build-up, or are you just assuming you will?

Hope this helps.

Edit: just read it properly and see it's not build-up, it's grease.

Do you mean greasy at the roots?

If so, that might just be due to all the over-shampooing.

If greasy lengths, you're just applying too much oil.
I guess I just assumed that I wouldn`t get the oil and coney serum out if I didn`t use shampoo evey time:o and yes, my roots also gets greasy very quickly. If I wash my hair in the evening, the roots are very greasy the next morning. Greasy to the point that I can`t wear my hair down. I`ll cut back on the shampoo and see how that works out.

kdaniels8811
February 16th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I found that when I quit shampooiing my hair so often - I was washing every day or two because the roots were so greasy - my roots stopped being so greasy and I could go to washing every 5 days or so. Amazing, since my hair used to get so oily it looked wet. It did take several weeks to make the adjustment, if you are interested, search for threads on stretching time between washes. It seems when my scalp was overstimulated from so much washing, it overproduced oil.

Another thing I changed was to wash with herbs only and use catnip soaks for conditioning. My hair grew 8 inches in a year on that routine!

CastaDiva
February 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I found that when I quit shampooiing my hair so often - I was washing every day or two because the roots were so greasy - my roots stopped being so greasy and I could go to washing every 5 days or so. Amazing, since my hair used to get so oily it looked wet. It did take several weeks to make the adjustment, if you are interested, search for threads on stretching time between washes. It seems when my scalp was overstimulated from so much washing, it overproduced oil.

Another thing I changed was to wash with herbs only and use catnip soaks for conditioning. My hair grew 8 inches in a year on that routine!
Thanks for your reply, kdaniels8811:) It`s nice to hear from others who have managed to overcome the problem with super oily roots. I think I can come to the conclution that I have been using too much shampoo. I`ll search for threads on stretching time between washes and maybe I`ll try to wash with herbs as well because 8 inches of growth in one year is amazing!

sal00n
February 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I found in my transition period of not washing my hair so much...I use baby powder. (i dont know if everyone else does, or thinks it is smart, my grandma taught me it and she had knee length hair until she died and she did it.) A very small sprinkle for darker hair...like mine...and i guess a little more with lighter hair. however, you cannot do that everyday otherwise you look like your hair went grey quick! you wanna do it the last day to stretch it out. and then your hair will just be used to it.

CastaDiva
February 17th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I found in my transition period of not washing my hair so much...I use baby powder. (i dont know if everyone else does, or thinks it is smart, my grandma taught me it and she had knee length hair until she died and she did it.) A very small sprinkle for darker hair...like mine...and i guess a little more with lighter hair. however, you cannot do that everyday otherwise you look like your hair went grey quick! you wanna do it the last day to stretch it out. and then your hair will just be used to it.
Thanks for your reply and tip, sal00n:) I will definately put baby powder on my list of products I`ll have to try.

Madame J
February 17th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Um, do you like the way your hair looks? If this method of washing is making your hair nice, I see little reason to mess with it. If it's working, don't try to "fix" it. Plenty of people here wash their hair every day or every other day and have gorgeous hair. Plenty of people here use lots of 'coney products and have gorgeous hair. Personally, I wash my hair every 3-4 days, and I have no plans to go longer between washes.

If you're having a problem with this routine, then try troubleshooting a specific problem. For example, it sounds like you dislike how greasy your hair is the last day before you wash it. Perhaps try not adding oil/serum to it on days you haven't just washed it. Or if you're worried about the expense (since it sounds like you use a lot of products), try eliminating one product from your routine for a couple weeks to see how it affects how your hair looks. Simple, small steps, in a controlled way, based on specific issues, rather than a generalization like "Washing your hair too often is bad."

CastaDiva
February 17th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Um, do you like the way your hair looks? If this method of washing is making your hair nice, I see little reason to mess with it. If it's working, don't try to "fix" it. Plenty of people here wash their hair every day or every other day and have gorgeous hair. Plenty of people here use lots of 'coney products and have gorgeous hair. Personally, I wash my hair every 3-4 days, and I have no plans to go longer between washes.

If you're having a problem with this routine, then try troubleshooting a specific problem. For example, it sounds like you dislike how greasy your hair is the last day before you wash it. Perhaps try not adding oil/serum to it on days you haven't just washed it. Or if you're worried about the expense (since it sounds like you use a lot of products), try eliminating one product from your routine for a couple weeks to see how it affects how your hair looks. Simple, small steps, in a controlled way, based on specific issues, rather than a generalization like "Washing your hair too often is bad."
Thanks for your tips. I like how my hair looks when it has just been washed according to my current routine. The problem is that I get super oily roots so soon after I washed it. Washing at night, oily roots the next morning. The rest of the hair is soft and not oily at all, it`s just the roots. The greasyness I get when I apply oil to my lengths doesn`t bother me as long as I wear my hair up, and I do that 99% of the time. I have to wear my hair up due to the oily roots and when I comb my hair back to bun it, the hair near the roots is dark and really shiny. It doesn`t help that my hair is also very thin and fine. I don`t put oil near my roots, so the oily root problem is not from excessive oiling. Maybe my scalp just produces a lot of sebum and if I want my hair to look good enough to wear down I will have to go on and wash it every day, and as long as my hair doesn`t seem to get damaged by that I guess it is ok to wash it often.