PDA

View Full Version : How do I find an LHC friendly stylist/salon in Oregon?

NordicPandi
February 16th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Hi Everyone :) I've been reading on here for a while, and have so enjoyed all the information and ideas!

I've had a few less than ideal stylists and I'm wondering how to find one that is long hair friendly, anywhere from Eugene to Corvallis.

I've been to too many to count and still haven't had luck, so hopefully I'll be able to find someone soon :)

lippleyluv
February 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I can recommend a FABULOUS stylist. She follows directions very well and when I say "clean up the tips" she will take off like, 1/8 of an inch. She is awesome. I am in Klamath Falls, though, a little far south. If you are ever in the neighborhood, let me know and I can give you her name.:)

UltraBella
February 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM
A lot of stylists are great with long hair. I suggest asking someone with fabulous hair who their stylist is. Most people are happy to give a referral.
Also, please do not judge a stylist by their own hair. This is a common mistake. In my salon, the stylist who does the best job with long hair has very short spiky hair with bright pink bangs. No one would know that before she decided to experiment, she had hair down to her butt. You can not judge a stylist's ability to handle long hair by their own hair length.

NordicPandi
February 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
awww, wish I was closer to Klamath! I do get down there every once in a while. It just might work if I'm not going in frequently. It's worth a lot to me to not have so much more cut off than I asked for. My latest "trim" will take about 8 months to grow back :sad

thanks for taking the time to reply :flowers:

Wonderful idea to look for someone with fabulous hair :) I'll be on the lookout!

Are there other people on here that are in Oregon? Maybe there is a way to search that...oh I'm so technically challenged.

MissManda
February 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM
There are other Oregonians here, so hopefully they will see this and chime in. I live in Oregon as well, but I'm in a more southern area, so I'm of no help. I hope you find a great stylist! :flower: Good luck!

patienceneeded
February 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I'm a Portlander. I know a stylist in Albany (Oregon) that I went to when I was younger (and lived there). My mother still goes to her, she's great. She had waist-length curly hair last time I saw her, don't know if that changed in the years since I've been there. She works at Artistic Hair Design and her name is Angie McArt. The salon looks kind of shabby on the outside, but it's nice and clean and Angie is really good. She'll listen to you.

Mesmerise
February 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM
To me the rule with a salon is just finding someone who will DO WHAT YOU ASK. They don't necessarily have to be good with long hair as long as they keep to your exact specifications!

I will tell them exactly how much to trim, and I will show them. I will not let them do anything else to my hair like add layers (my last hairdresser asked about three times if I wanted layers...yeah...like I want my thin ends any thinner :rolleyes: good grief)... but ultimately she did what I told her to ;) I also tell them not to dry my hair (once a stupid hairdresser fried the ends of my freshly cut hair...I was cutting off several inches of damage from bleached hair, but still had some of the bleached hair there... well it had been FINE for several months but she managed to fry it... I ended up going home and cutting off the fried bits myself... so NO MORE HEAT!)

autumn_aqua
February 17th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Hi there,

I know you keep receiving replies that are a either north/south of you, but I wanted to share the good experience I had with Sarah (owner) of Kiss Kiss salon here in Portland. She is a Deva trained stylist, but she does regular, non curly cuts as well.

I went to see her for the first time in November, and I had waist length hair when I walked in, and waist length hair when I walked OUT. :) I think the real test is after the second visit, but my first experience was very positive and she listened to and understood my fears about having too much cut off. I felt comfortable and as trusting as I can be when there are scissors in the vicinity of my hair.

If you are ever headed north, I definitely recommend her!

NordicPandi
February 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks so much everyone :) It's great to see other members in Oregon!

Thank you, Patienceneeded, I'll definitely call Angie. Her salon is just 10 minutes from where I work :)

Agreed on the blowdrying Mesmerise. I hope your ends have recovered and are happier now. I used to let them blowdry thinking it wasn't doing any real damage, but now that I pay attention, it sure does! They might think it's strange, but I try to tell them that my hair is just easily damaged, that seems to help.

Autumn aqua, I'm so glad you had a good experience. It's great to be able to trust someone. I also love the hula hoop I see in your picture! :) I'm totally addicted to hooping, it's the best!

Thanks again everybody :love: It's great to be here, there are so many interesting things to learn and wonderful people to learn with :flower: