PDA

View Full Version : My hair is so crunchy , Help?!

Luna12345
February 15th, 2011, 09:52 PM
hello evreyone , my hair has been so crunchy lately it becomes crunchy the same day i wash it, by the end of the day its crunchy ...Its driving me crazy, what can I do? any suggestions?.....I washed three time with shampoo yesterday and then applied conditioner, I thought maybe it wasn't clean enough but I don't know what else to do.=(
I also trimmed the ends but it hasn't changed anything.

TheMechaGinger
February 15th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Mine was doing this for a while too. The best fix for it for me was to put a little oil on the ends when my hair was still a little damp. Not enough to make it greasy but to keep it from going crunchy later

gthlvrmx
February 15th, 2011, 10:02 PM
i suggest you try oils, castor oil, lemon maybe? i heard lemon or vinegar truly makes your hair so soft. and dont use so much shampoo!! you want more oils in ur hair :D honestly, my hair didnt get back to normal again after my dry and damaged stage after a good trim and plenty of deep conditioning/oil treatments. i also used the mayowithegg treatment worked like a charm:D

Madora
February 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Every time you shampoo your hair you remove some of the oil. Shampooing 3 times in one day is overdoing it.

I'd suggest applying coconut oil to help combat the crunchies.

Luna12345
February 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I have actually been using oil on the ends , i tried almond oil and also tried olive oil,,.......I guess I'll haveto try vinegar or lemon.

Luna12345
February 15th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Every time you shampoo your hair you remove some of the oil. Shampooing 3 times in one day is overdoing it.

I'd suggest applying coconut oil to help combat the crunchies.

I dont usually wash it that much...I was trying to get rid of the crunchiness.( i guess i didnt know what else to try.)
Do you mean coconut oil for hair or just natural cocnut oil,.....?
any idea where i can buy some?

HairColoredHair
February 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I would say you might be overdoing the oil, but if it's doing it out of the shower, it likely isn't that.

In my experience, crunchy is caused by three things:

Build-up (which you've likely eliminated by shampooing three times)
Too little moisture (very dry hair, perhaps requiring a SMT or other deep conditioning treatment)
Too much protein (does your shampoo/conditioner/treatments contain protein? Some people's hair reacts poorly to too much protein. This is usually combated by adding more moisture, without protein in it...)

HairColoredHair
February 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I dont usually wash it that much...I was trying to get rid of the crunchiness.( i guess i didnt know what else to try.)
Do you mean coconut oil for hair or just natural cocnut oil,.....?
any idea where i can buy some?
Just plain coconut oil. Coconut oil marketed for the hair is often chock full of other stuff that's unnecessary or may not work well in your hair. You can find coconut oil all over, I've seen in in regular groceries in the oil section and in health food stores as well.

thirstylocks
February 15th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Frequent shampooing? Lemon?? Vinegar??? You cannot do anything worse for your hair.

Debra83
February 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I would try a chelating (like Joico) shampoo which takes off hard water deposits as well as product build up, and then a good coating of the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner for like half an hour under a shower cap or plastic bag, then rinse and use a little of the GFTN as a leave in, especially where the crunchies are the worst (like the ends) but all over. If that doesn't help, it could mean that you really need the dreaded trim to take off the damage, do you see splits and white dots a lot near the ends?

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion, but that's what I would try first before trimming for sure.

p.s. when I had damage about a year and a half ago, I tried coconut oil before trimming, and it just made it crunchier because my hair was dry, dry, dry where the damage was. Coconut oil just dried it out worse, which is supported by the coconut oil/shampoo method thread. With the shampoo, people were finding (myself included) that our drying times were quite a bit shorter. It does not let the water "hang" around, therefore, I think if it is damaged hair, it won't let it get some much need moisture.

Fufu
February 15th, 2011, 10:55 PM
here's a website that mention what causes crunchy hair.

http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-prevent-hair-feeling-crunchy-a199999

Debra83
February 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM
here's a website that mention what causes crunchy hair.

http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-prevent-hair-feeling-crunchy-a199999

Hey!!! :D That backs up what I said!!! After two years of being a member, I AM learning something afterall!!!!

mneh
February 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Luna12345, I have coarse hair that has a tendency towards feeling crunchy from the mid-length to the ends. Over the last few months I have reduced the crunchiness of my hair by using coconut oil in my shampoo (details are available in the movie star shampoo thread) and by doing regular deep treatments with 1% fat yoghurt (I use the very low fat type of yoghurt because my hair dislikes large amounts of protein). I apply the yoghurt to my hair, wrap my hair in cling film, and leave it for a few hours before shampooing it out. It always leaves my hair feeling silkier :)

Good luck with finding something that works for you :)

HairColoredHair
February 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Frequent shampooing? Lemon?? Vinegar??? You cannot do anything worse for your hair.

Actually vinegar rinses can be quite good for hair, in moderation....

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
My hair was getting crunchy when I was using a chemical based shampoo, once I switched to natural shampoos, my hair was no longer crunchy....

Endymion's_Star
February 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yes! It's surprising how many people don't know this?

Your cuticle responds wonderfully to a mildly acidic bath, and this can often solve lots of problems. :) especially protein-related crunchiness, because it makes the 'scales' lie flatter, and dry better.

Anje
February 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I'm with the others: you've probably eliminated buildup as a cause since you've shampooed several times. That leaves dry hair and protein overload as potential culprits. Luckily, protein-free moisture treatments will fix both.

My personal favorite is the SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). 4 parts conditioner (I like Suave Naturals), 1 part clear aloe gel, 1 part honey, and 1 shower cap or plastic bag. You can even substitute something like pancake syrup or corn syrup if you don't have honey. Mix together, warm it up, smear it on, and rinse in an hour or two.

Luna12345
February 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hey, Thankyou to all of you for helping me out.....I found a solution! =)...My conditioner did have protein in it so I went out and bought a different one. I used vinegar.....also to rinse .....and I got some virgin coconut oil today, I used some on my ends......and all my crunchiness is gone!...My hair must not like protein. =).....Thankyou so much for helping me !
I also didnt use my regular hair serum which has silicone in it......so it's either the silicone or protein....I guess.

tigr
February 16th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hey, Thankyou to all of you for helping me out.....I found a solution!
Yay! Success!