PDA

View Full Version : Amish Pins

CarpeDM
February 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know if brown colored (as opposed to the standard silver metal type) amish pins are sold anywhere?

lapushka
February 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I think Amish pins only come in metal. There is such a thing as regular U-pins (crinkled or plain) and the stronger, dancers' Bunhead pins. Regular U-pins and Bunheads come in blond, brown, black.

CarpeDM
February 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Where can you get the regular U-pins in brown at?

Roseate
February 15th, 2011, 04:48 PM
They usually have the regular brown u-pins at beauty supply places, Sally's or the like.

The amish ones really are much better, but I feel you on not liking the silver. I hate how they stand out in my hair. I haven't tried Bunheads yet, but I'd like to: I hear they are a step up from the regular ones, and they come in colors.

ravenreed
February 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I am considering coloring the top of mine with some black nail polish. I have tried many a pin and only two stay in my hair- The crinkly Amish pins and Spin Pins.

pepperminttea
February 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
The amish ones really are much better, but I feel you on not liking the silver. I hate how they stand out in my hair. I haven't tried Bunheads yet, but I'd like to: I hear they are a step up from the regular ones, and they come in colors.

This. My hair laughs in the face of normal U-shaped pins. The straight Amish pins are much better strength-wise, but they slipped out of my updos sadly (I've never tried the crinkled ones though).

I admit, I have coloured in the tops of a few of mine in Sharpie, and then washed it off later. :o

McFearless
February 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I like ravenreed's idea of painting it. I'd probably use a sharpie too, like pepperminttea :p

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I am considering coloring the top of mine with some black nail polish. I have tried many a pin and only two stay in my hair- The crinkly Amish pins and Spin Pins.

I like this idea, please let me know if it still glides into your hair the same way if you end up using the nail polish...

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
This. My hair laughs in the face of normal U-shaped pins. The straight Amish pins are much better strength-wise, but they slipped out of my updos sadly (I've never tried the crinkled ones though).

I admit, I have coloured in the tops of a few of mine in Sharpie, and then washed it off later. :o

Yes I definitely love the amish pins, but the silver does stick out like a sore thumb, especially when I use the longer ones, and I would love for them to blend in more. I have tried the U-pins before but they don't hold the same way...

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Bunhead pins?

ravenreed
February 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I have some Bunheads and they are okay. They do slip out easier than the two I mentioned above. Here is a link: Bunheads from Discount Dance Supply. (http://www.discountdance.com/spframe_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/style_BH434.html&camp=Froogle_BH434&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=BH434&utm_campaign=Spring+2009)

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Interesting, thanks for the link!

varintalonguard
February 17th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I hate to sound like an utter nub but what are Amish hairpin? I feel likes its a very odd question considering I had Amish neighbors for years but you all have made me curious.

CarpeDM
February 17th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Here is a link of what they look like: http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=27
In my opinion they are much better than bobby pins (bobby pins always pull my hair and they don't hold a lot of hair either). Amish pins are thicker and don't pull out your hair, they basically hold much better. The issue I have with them is that they only come in a steel color which sticks out in my hair, BUT last night I spray painted them brown and now they are blending :cheese:

varintalonguard
February 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
thanks for the information, I'm still pretty new to all this up-do stuff.

CarpeDM
February 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
No problemo!

Messyhair
February 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I just use Goody hair pins, which are a bronzey colour. They are shorter (I think) than Amish hair pins, and they slip out like crazy. I've never seen Amish hair pins for sale. :(

Masara
February 17th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I've been painting my Amish pins with brown nail varnsh for years! I only bother doing the top half so I don't have to worry about blobs on the ends or anything like that.
I was lucky to find a pot of nail varnish that is a very good match for my hair colour.

An unplanned advantage is that two toned (silver and brown) pins are very easy to spot when I'm looking for pins and nobody takes them!

Paranda Belle
February 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I'm going to recommend indian hair pins (http://jazzybangles.com/hair-accessories/jura-pins.html), usually called jura pins. They are so strong, don't fall out, reasonably cheap and painted black. If you wear them everyday for a few years like I do, the paint eventually comes off and they turn silver, but they are much better than the usual u pins which bend even before I've tried to get them to hold my bun.