PDA

View Full Version : Need updo help...

CarpeDM
February 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM
This week I am attending a formal event. I have a strapless ball gown and I'm not sure what to do with my hair. I also bought three of these pins to go with my dress http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Pearl-Floral-Bridal-Hair/dp/B004IORRVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qlEnable=1&qid=1297797432&sr=1-1&searchContext=B004IORRVY,B000WNLH4S,B001139H68,B00 2642E48.
I thought of doing a french twist but the pins are sort of top heavy and are falling out when I try. I could really use some help. Any ideas or even pictures of some good formal updos I can try?? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Anywhere
February 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM
For christmas I did a high pony in my hair and then took indivudual chunks and twisted them around my finger (as if I were going to pincurl) and pinned them to my scalp around the hairtie. It gives off the illusion of a curly updo and you can fix parts as needed. You could put the pins in as a decoration if you didn't want to use those fancy ones to hold up the hair.

If you really had your heart set on a french twist you could secure the twist with something else and then add the pins as decorations.

shikara
February 15th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Well, I have googled 'chignon images' and boy oh boy there are some gorgeous nape ones, and you could stick your lovely pins in for decoration. At any rate, chignons are easy and can be dressed up or down. You could even curl a bit at the bottom and leave some of that out at the ends. Let us know what you decide!

LHC100
February 15th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Hi CarpeDM! See my avatar? Proud of me? Ha.

These pics are poor quality since the pixel setting was HUGE when taken, and they seem to have lost something when I resized them down to fit LHC requirements...

ANYway, the half-up rope bun I told you about is in my signature. (I don't have time to figure out Photobucket, etc., so this is the best I can do, right now. Sorry so tiny.)

I'm thinking that a strapless gown is a PERFECT opportunity to have at least SOME of your hair down and flowing. If you had a strap or neck detail, THEN it would be rather imperative to do a complete updo, so it wouldn't interfere with any of that. (Did you happen to catch some of those music stars at the recent Grammys (?) messing up the shoulder lines of their gowns, with hair stringing all over them, covering up parts? Gads...)

The more I think about it, this bun might fit the bill nicely. It will give a pretty formal detail on top, but if you, say, hot roller or otherwise curl the free length into some frothy volume, you'd have sexy locks gracing your bare shoulders.

With this bun, you'll have to try different "volumes" of hair in the pony-rope to get it right for you, and a careful wrap to cover the ponytail holder (maybe you could even self-wrap with a hair lock), but heh, that's standard work for a bun... Guide/hold it rather "flat" with one palm while wrapping with the other.

And it will look weird a few times before it looks "nice", but it CAN be done, and 2 spin pins (scroos) will hold that baby like cement, comfortably. This isn't even my best effort, but it's the only pic I had the patience/skill to make - ha.

You could also work in your pin.

Whatever you do, I know it'll look nice - be sure to get a pic for us!

Oh, the avatar picture is just a high, half-ponytail split into two rope braids with the ends secured together under the free length. I think it's rather elegant, to be so damned simple. It'd be better with the length curled, and it actually needs a toy or hair-wrap at top, but that's no biggie...

Have fun at the "do"!

milagro
February 15th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I second half-up if it is not a white-tie event. You may also do a sock bun and decorate/fix it with these pins.

LHC100
February 16th, 2011, 12:18 AM
PS -- I just realized I'm calling this a "rope bun" but it's technically called a "ROSE bun", though done with a rope braid. Sorry, it's late...

Alvrodul
February 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I am personally very fond of the rose bun - it is very secure, is actually both easy and quick to do (though you may need to practice rope braiding if you aren't used to it), it looks a lot more complicated than it is, and is pretty - I have gotten lots of compliments on my rose buns!:D

Two examples - single rose bun:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5879&pictureid=85722

Double rose buns:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5879&pictureid=87537

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Hi CarpeDM! See my avatar? Proud of me? Ha.

These pics are poor quality since the pixel setting was HUGE when taken, and they seem to have lost something when I resized them down to fit LHC requirements...

ANYway, the half-up rope bun I told you about is in my signature. (I don't have time to figure out Photobucket, etc., so this is the best I can do, right now. Sorry so tiny.)

I'm thinking that a strapless gown is a PERFECT opportunity to have at least SOME of your hair down and flowing. If you had a strap or neck detail, THEN it would be rather imperative to do a complete updo, so it wouldn't interfere with any of that. (Did you happen to catch some of those music stars at the recent Grammys (?) messing up the shoulder lines of their gowns, with hair stringing all over them, covering up parts? Gads...)

The more I think about it, this bun might fit the bill nicely. It will give a pretty formal detail on top, but if you, say, hot roller or otherwise curl the free length into some frothy volume, you'd have sexy locks gracing your bare shoulders.

With this bun, you'll have to try different "volumes" of hair in the pony-rope to get it right for you, and a careful wrap to cover the ponytail holder (maybe you could even self-wrap with a hair lock), but heh, that's standard work for a bun... Guide/hold it rather "flat" with one palm while wrapping with the other.

And it will look weird a few times before it looks "nice", but it CAN be done, and 2 spin pins (scroos) will hold that baby like cement, comfortably. This isn't even my best effort, but it's the only pic I had the patience/skill to make - ha.

You could also work in your pin.

Whatever you do, I know it'll look nice - be sure to get a pic for us!

Oh, the avatar picture is just a high, half-ponytail split into two rope braids with the ends secured together under the free length. I think it's rather elegant, to be so damned simple. It'd be better with the length curled, and it actually needs a toy or hair-wrap at top, but that's no biggie...

Have fun at the "do"!

AH! So proud!! Now I get it :) I am not sure yet if I want to put it all up or leave some of it down. I kind of like the idea of having some of it down because the dress is strapless, but I don't know how formal it will look. I've never tried the rope or rose style before, so I might give it a try today and practice...I will for sure post a picture of whatever I come up with in my hair toy album :)

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I am personally very fond of the rose bun - it is very secure, is actually both easy and quick to do (though you may need to practice rope braiding if you aren't used to it), it looks a lot more complicated than it is, and is pretty - I have gotten lots of compliments on my rose buns!:D

Two examples - single rose bun:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5879&pictureid=85722

Double rose buns:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5879&pictureid=87537

Do you think it is possible for me to do a rose or rope bun with APL length hair? I've been trying to do just a regular bun lately and I can't get it to stay, the ends keep slipping out??

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM
For christmas I did a high pony in my hair and then took indivudual chunks and twisted them around my finger (as if I were going to pincurl) and pinned them to my scalp around the hairtie. It gives off the illusion of a curly updo and you can fix parts as needed. You could put the pins in as a decoration if you didn't want to use those fancy ones to hold up the hair.

If you really had your heart set on a french twist you could secure the twist with something else and then add the pins as decorations.

Would you by any chance have any picture of this? I am envisioning one of those buns that look like a flower with petals that come out??

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I second half-up if it is not a white-tie event. You may also do a sock bun and decorate/fix it with these pins.

The idea of a sock bun did cross my mind with the hair pins around it...

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Well, I have googled 'chignon images' and boy oh boy there are some gorgeous nape ones, and you could stick your lovely pins in for decoration. At any rate, chignons are easy and can be dressed up or down. You could even curl a bit at the bottom and leave some of that out at the ends. Let us know what you decide!

This is another good idea to try out and practice today...

Alvrodul
February 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Do you think it is possible for me to do a rose or rope bun with APL length hair? I've been trying to do just a regular bun lately and I can't get it to stay, the ends keep slipping out??
I find it easier to manage my hair when it is being teflony when I braid it first and then bun it - I find that it reduces the amount of little bits of hair sticking out - or just falling out of the bun.
If your hair is too short for making one rope braid and then bun it, you could try making a ponytail, making two rope braids from it, and then coiling one around the base of the pony, and coil the other braid on the outside of that coil.
And when braiding, I sometimes use a bit of aloe gel on the ends of my hair - that makes my braids less fuzzy.:)

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I find it easier to manage my hair when it is being teflony when I braid it first and then bun it - I find that it reduces the amount of little bits of hair sticking out - or just falling out of the bun.
If your hair is too short for making one rope braid and then bun it, you could try making a ponytail, making two rope braids from it, and then coiling one around the base of the pony, and coil the other braid on the outside of that coil.
And when braiding, I sometimes use a bit of aloe gel on the ends of my hair - that makes my braids less fuzzy.:)

Many thanks!

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Ugh for both the chignon and rope style my hair is unfortunately too short, I need longer hair...:(

mneh
February 16th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Do let us see some pics of whatever style you decide to go with :D

LHC100
February 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM
:)

That sounds like a very good idea, to do ALL the hair! I can't do a single bun yet, with all the hair, because the "rope" is too stocky/short to work (same with regular buns), but with a smaller rope (using half the hair) I can do it, because it's less bulky/longer.

I will definitely try this. CarpeDM, you should be able get a complete updo like this. Rose buns DO look much more complicated than they are. They are beautiful, and look very sophisticated.

The rope braid is easy - I mastered it very quickly. Just take two strands, and twist-twist-twist then cross it over the other strand, hold all securely, then repeat on the "new" strand (you only need to twist on that one strand, each time).

It really is easy. The hardest part is remembering to twist AWAY from the direction that you are going to "cross". Then, after securing the end and before wrapping the bun, twist the whole braid a bit, in the "cross" direction, to maintain the tension and shape of the braid while wrapping.

If you do a full up-do, you can also use more dramatic earrings...

IStand4u
February 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Have you thought about doing the bun with pinning your hair to your head in fake curls (mentioned before), but if you want some down you can leave some strands down and curl only those, it looks very romantic! I had that done with my hair, with an accent braid at the top. Super easy to do, my cousin is not a hairdresser and did it for me! If you would like pics I can post one up if you like.

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I was just looking at some youtube videos that show you how to do it, when I try my hair falls short, literally....I need a couple more inches to do any sort of bun style, I just don't have enough length yet. I'm leaning more towards the french twist since my hair is shorter...

Anje
February 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM
If you can normally do a french twist and that's what you want to do, go for it!

I would suggest that you secure it with normal pins, then just work the fancy ones in as decoration. That way, if they do slip or need adjustment, your hairstyle will stay intact.

LHC100
February 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM
...If you would like pics I can post one up if you like.

I'd like to see a picture! I like that "piled curl" look. It helps to roll/curl (with roller/curling iron) those curls before forming/pinning them, right?

Angeletti
February 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM

This sounds like the style I was going to mention. I usually secure each "curl" I make with a bobby pin on each side pinning it to my head. I've been doing this style since I was 13 so it works well with shorter hair. Here are a couple pictures that show you what it can look like.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5388&pictureid=74609http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5388&pictureid=75105

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Wow that looks amazing!

SummerSkye
February 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
That's beautiful!

Alvrodul
February 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Those styles look wonderful, Angeletti!

IStand4u
February 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'd like to see a picture! I like that "piled curl" look. It helps to roll/curl (with roller/curling iron) those curls before forming/pinning them, right?

That's right, she pinned my bangs back last, as well as the rope braid (that was done right before pinning my bangs back), and she left enough hair out at the nape of my neck when she put my hair in a ponytail for the bun to make a few ringlets to make my hair look longer than it was. My hair was barely BSL during my grad... When she used the curling iron on my hair she only did certain pieces and only held them around the barrel for 5-10 seconds and spritzed with hair spray before pinning then a little bit after. The ringlets at the bottom she held for a little longer. This hairdo also passed the "puddle jumping test" as well as the "rough soccer test" during the trials.

Pics!
These are both of the back more so.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/princess1313666/ChuckysGrad984hjjklk.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/princess1313666/ChuckysGrad984.jpg

These are the two sides

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/princess1313666/ChuckysGrad024.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/princess1313666/ChuckysGrad137.jpg

Yup, stood up to puddle jumping in heavy rain as well as playing soccer in rain...

Angeletti
February 16th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Thank you! : )

IStand4u
February 16th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I've always loved your hair Angeletti! Beautiful btw!

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I need an on call hair stylist!

IStand4u
February 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Lol, no you don't! You just need an hour or a little more, a bunch of bobby pins and an elastic band! :)

Get creative! It seems that messy curly buns are now considered very elegent as long as the bangs are put nicely to the sides and they look polished. Randomness is beautiful.

Or you can get a friend to help you :)

brelj
February 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Maybe angelthadiva's formal brookie updo is a good option?!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=34

@ Angeletti, very pretty!!

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Ok I just attached a picture of my french twist attempt in my album if anyone is interested :)

IStand4u
February 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Ok I just attached a picture of my french twist attempt in my album if anyone is interested :)
Your french twist is amazing!!! Beautiful work!

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Your french twist is amazing!!! Beautiful work!

Really? I'm afraid it is subpar, I can't manage to hide those darn pins :luke:

Alvrodul
February 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Really? I'm afraid it is subpar, I can't manage to hide those darn pins :luke:
Did you insert the hairpins horizontally, or have you tried to put them in at an angle? I sometimes find it is easier to "hide" the hairpins in my hair if I stick them in at a diagonal. Not that I am experienced with the french twist. My hair is really too long for that style.:(

IStand4u
February 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I don't think so, if you are worried about the pins then do a low pinned bun with the sides rolled into the bun, that way you can have the pretty pins going up and down and they wont show the prongs then. HTH

CarpeDM
February 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah I will have to try and angle the pins differently and play around with the style some more...