PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...Argh! :(

Kaya
February 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
So, I was picking through my braid tassel with a yarn darner, since I had noticed a fairy knot in it right after I finished braiding it this morning. I've had a fairy knot before, so I wasn't too worried.
This time though, I found at least 4 of the nasty little knots and, to my utter horror and panick, a split end. I know I should have expected splits ends, but my hair seemed to be doing so well. :sad (Heck, I was the one who posted the thread wondering if it was possible NOT to get split ends.) Irony at work.
Granted, it only was one split that I trimmed but I'm a little paranoid that there is a crap-load more on the ends that are hidden in the braid. :scared:
Any recommendations on good S&D scissors and ways not to go completely crazy worrying about split ends? I tend to dwell on things. :crazyq:

chopandchange
February 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM
You are feeling utter "horror and panic" because you found ONE split end?

LOL you should see my hair.

Split ends are a fact of life.

Skin gets wrinkles.
Nails sometimes break.
Hair sometimes splits.

It's good to keep on top of it and keep your hair as healthy as possible, but there's no need to worry just because ONE hair (out of the thousands on your head) has split!

By all means get some proper hair scissors from Sally's or elsewhere and do some S&D, but be warned it can become addictive and strain your eyes so I've mostly stopped doing it. I only snip splits I encounter in tangles.

Anywhere
February 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Don't worry about it. If you haven't noticed splits before then you probably have few to none.

As for scissors, I believe I read in a thread that the $10~$40 hair scissors are great because they aren't cutting hundreds of heads of hair a week and therefore won't dull as fast as if they were being used by a salon.

Kaya
February 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
You are feeling utter "horror and panic" because you found ONE split end?

LOL you should see my hair.

Split ends are a fact of life.

Skin gets wrinkles.
Nails sometimes break.
Hair sometimes splits.

It's good to keep on top of it and keep your hair as healthy as possible, but there's no need to worry just because ONE hair (out of the thousands on your head) has split!

By all means get some proper hair scissors from Sally's or elsewhere and do some S&D, but be warned it can become addictive and strain your eyes so I've mostly stopped doing it. I only snip splits I encounter in tangles.

:roll: I definitely deserve that! :gabigrin: I tend to freak out over little things until someone can talk some sense into me. Thus, why I posted it here. I knew that this lovely community could offer some sane advice. It's worked before.
Thank you! :) I will definitely not take ONE split end too seriously and maybe S&D whenever I get a chance and have the patience for it.
Now those pesky fairy knots are going to be a pain. My poor yarn darner might become a regular hair tool! :p

Mesmerise
February 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Oh I often get those little knots, and the occasional split end, but it's not so bad that other people would notice! Sounds like your hair's fairly normal ;)

I do the occasional S&D and all is good!

Alvrodul
February 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
As chopandchange said, split ends are a fact of life. I know that I always have a crop of the nasty things, though admittedly fewer than before I started S&Ding regularly. And one split end? I would be popping champagne bottles if I had only one!:p

lyria
February 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Sounds to me like your hair is pretty healthy. But S+D is a great way to keep it that way. I love the Tweezerman scissors from Sephora (and have several pairs). Good luck and stay calm :)