PDA

View Full Version : Do You Trim Your Own Hair?

NorthStar
February 15th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Do you trim your own hair? I've gotten very comfortable with trimming mine. It's BSL. I put it (dry) into a high pony, bend over and twist the hair to a point. Over the sink I snip the tip of the point. If it's not enough, I repeat the process. I live in an expensive town, and I know I've already saved a few 100 bucks doing this. PLUS, I do have a healthy fear of haircutters -- ask for a half and inch, and somehow 2 inches will disappear. Whatcha all think of trimming your own? Is it a practical, good idea; or is it actually self-barbering in its worst meaning?:cheese:

LocustSpawning
February 15th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I think most members do.

I don't trust any hairdresser with my hair! :p

Nago
February 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM
yes, always! I only go to he hairdresser when I want a new style. Then I learn how to cut it and I don't return.

ashlayne
February 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM
My hair rarely needs full trims, except to even it out. When my sister was living with me, she could do that pretty easily. Now that she's not anymore, I go to a stylist I trust, who only takes the dead ends off and evens it up. You can barely even tell anything was done, and my hair is in such good condition that I always get compliments. :D Also, I only have to do this once every 6-9 months.

In between times, I still have the scissors my sister used to use on my hair, and if I see a strand starting to do something weird that might snag other hairs and make them start weirdness, I snip it. It's a tip I picked up from a LJ long hair community.

BrightEyes7
February 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I always self trim. I use Feyes self trim method. I've been doing it for years. I haven't been to a hair dresser since December 2007. That was when my hair got BUTCHERED. She really did a bad job. It was almost BSL, went in for a trim and some layers came out with randomly longer peices in my hair all different lengths... nothing close to what layers should be. And my hair was barely APL. :(

So now I do it myself! And I do a darn fine job too! I even have some face framing layers.

ETA: Here is a link to Feyes Method.

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

Dragon
February 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I do, I don’t trust hairdressers. Plus the hygiene of salons worries me.

CaityBear
February 15th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I've been trimming my own hair for a while now. I much prefer it. It's a hassle to have to book an appointment just for a trim.

CariadA
February 15th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I have also been trimming my own hair for years. I also put it in a high pony and then trim straight across the end of the pony (I do not twist it though).

I have gone to stylists twice in the last five years, and both times my hair got butchered.

3azza
February 15th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Today, within 15 minutes my hair went from almost classic to hip length, because i dont trim my own hair :( I don't know what happened, the hairdresser used to trim minimally but not this time. I just don't have the courage to do it myself

Zefyra
February 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Ive been cutting/trimming my own hair for a couple years now. I do a pretty good job too... The only hairdresser I trust is my step-aunt, but she lives a half hour from my house and I cant be bothered to drive that far for a half inch...

Fairlight63
February 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I always trim my own hair.
It is so easy to just trim off the very ends. If I was going to do a major cut from waist to BSL for example, I think that I would go to a salon to make sure that it was even.

Pixna
February 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Yes. I don't trust anyone else to do it. :D

Anywhere
February 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Yes I do, and I hardly cut anything when I trim. I've had too many bad haircuts in my life.

NorthStar
February 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks for post the url to the hair cutting methods, BrightEyes7. I am SO glad that everyone cuts her hair here (I didn't see any men in this thread). Usually you are admonished not to do this. How nice to find a whole community of scissor sisters. ;)

Cirafly24
February 15th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Yep, I use Feyes self trim method as well. Saves me lots of money and inches of hair!

Speedbump
February 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I've trimmed my own for years, and I couldn't be happier about it. Nowadays "hair cuts" are stress-free, quick and accurate to exactly what I want. And, I really trust my hair stylist. A lot. :lol:

ETA: I just wanted to give a shout-out to Feye's self-trim method. That's what I use and it works like a charm.

MissManda
February 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Yes, I trim my own hair and I won't have it any other way until I find a decent hairdresser. :D I was terrified of it at first, but now I am perfectly comfortable with it. My DBF even trusted me enough to trim his hair from about midback to between shoulder and APL last week, so I guess I must be pretty decent at it. :)

christine1989
February 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I only started self trimming since joining LHC and now I do it way too much! If I stopped trimming so much I would be nearing waist now. I have a good hair stylist and he never takes off more than I ask but it is over $60 for a trim so doing it myself once in a while is a good habit.

Jenn of Pence
February 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
So, I'll be the oddball and say that I don't trim my own hair, and there are quite a few people on the forum who don't. I've only had one trim since coming to LHC last year anyway, and I went to a stylist. I made absolutely sure how her "inch" compared to my "inch" before the snipping; we communicated and I got only what I wanted off. Now, I do intend to learn how to self-trim in the future, but I made the decision to go to someone this time (and she wasn't someone I'd even ever gone to before).

ScarlettAdelle
February 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I do, I don’t trust hairdressers. Plus the hygiene of salons worries me.

I am a licensed hairdresser and worked in salons for years. Unfortunately, I have to validate this fear. Every time state board came around they used to tell me how clean my station was and I've heard more than my fair share of out and out horror stories from them about the "fun" things they find in salons

Anyway, I also self trim. Even from other hairdressers whom I know on a personal level and who know how attached I am to my hair, I've gotten butchered. The only way I've found to avoid this is to trim my own hair and enforce a 5' radius rule by which no one is allowed within 5 feet of me with scissors.

Too many hairdressers get the idea in their head that they know better than the person in their chair what will look good and how long the hair should be. Sure, you went through hours and hours of school and study to get where you are, but at the end of the day, the hair you work on isn't yours. The person in the chair should ultimately decide how they look, after all, they're a walking business card. If they're not happy, they won't refer people to you.

One of the guest speakers in school said: "A bad cut travels ten times as long as a good cut" which is absolutely true.

Pixna
February 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I am a licensed hairdresser and worked in salons for years. Unfortunately, I have to validate this fear. Every time state board came around they used to tell me how clean my station was and I've heard more than my fair share of out and out horror stories from them about the "fun" things they find in salons

Anyway, I also self trim. Even from other hairdressers whom I know on a personal level and who know how attached I am to my hair, I've gotten butchered. The only way I've found to avoid this is to trim my own hair and enforce a 5' radius rule by which no one is allowed within 5 feet of me with scissors.

Too many hairdressers get the idea in their head that they know better than the person in their chair what will look good and how long the hair should be. Sure, you went through hours and hours of school and study to get where you are, but at the end of the day, the hair you work on isn't yours. The person in the chair should ultimately decide how they look, after all, they're a walking business card. If they're not happy, they won't refer people to you.

One of the guest speakers in school said: "A bad cut travels ten times as long as a good cut" which is absolutely true.

Excellent post! Thanks for sharing an "insider's" perspective!

Here's another shout out for Feye's self-trim method. I've been using it for many, many years. She's a genius! :heart:

enfys
February 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I've used Feye's method for years too. Probably since she first posted it I think. It came out crooked once, one of my first tries.

I've never visited a hairdresser in my life; for my hair and it's lack of "style" I don't think it would be worth either of our time, effort of money.

UltraBella
February 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I trim my bangs and the layers around my face sometimes, but I always have a stylist cut my hair and add my layers back when they start looking grown out. I just had somewhere between 2 and 3 inches cut off last Thursday, plus I added highlights. My current stylist has never cut more than I wanted and I am super pleased with her. She does a GREAT job :)

growing2shine
February 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have been selftrimming since I was about 12... I think it's wonderful to trim my own hair. I don't trim much, but it is a little ritual for me. :) And of course, I save a lot of money! I have also been cutting both my mom and little brothers hair for years. When I was much younger I always watched the hair dressers every move... And one day my mom asked me to cut her hair, because she saw how well I cut my own. :D

Ashenputtel
February 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I don't. I have the same stylist since 4 years and I have full trust in him. I actually love going there, with the scalp massage and the latté. I'm just trying to go every 6 months instead of every three months and I'll be saving 160$ a year.