PDA

View Full Version : what is your "got to have hair toys" convential and non convential?

sunnyhope
February 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM
please explain why and if you can add a photo and maybe even a link to where you can get it.

ddiana1979
February 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Ficcare Maximus Clips (http://www.ficcare.com/Collections.aspx?catId=1). They hold my very straight, slick hair securely. They're also gorgeous. :)

Goody Spin Pins (http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Hair-Accessories/Simple-Styles-Brunette-Spin-Hair-Pin/ID=prod6024772-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku6023514). They're inexpensive AND they hold a bun perfectly, all day. So much easier than putting 50 million hair pins in.

sunnyhope
February 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM
i have been tempted to buy a ficcare but there is so many kinds< which one would you recomend?

sunnyhope
February 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM
would it be possible for you to make a video or a sequense with photos where you use the goody pins btw?

Alvrodul
February 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Amish hair pins! My hair really needs industrial-strength hairpins - it will twist the ones I find in the shops into pretzels, but Amish pins - they cain hold my hair on their own, or help tacking down the ends when I use hairsticks in a wound style.
You can get prettily decorated ones at Ravenslair (http://www.etsy.com/shop/RavensLair), if you are fast enough,:p and plain ones several places (Sorry - I haven't any links right now due to computer woes)

elaiesusandavie
February 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Big oval leather stick barrette. It hides a lot of messiness behind it!

ravenreed
February 14th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Crinkled Amish hair pins, (http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=212&catid=27&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D27) Goody Spin pins, this Javacentric wood barrette, (http://cgi.ebay.com/Handmade-wood-Hair-Pin-Barrette-Slide-inlaid-paua-shell-/290531090044?pt=AU_Women_Accessories&hash=item43a5009e7c#ht_3210wt_996) my white spalted Ketylo pair, (http://www.ketylo.com/servlet/StoreFront) OR my sterling silver topped Quattos. (http://www.etsy.com/shop/quattro)

I wear the Ketylos or Quattros about 90% of the time since I am home a lot and those are the most comfortable and easy to take down if I need to quickly take them out and rest.

Natalia
February 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM
My single absolute must have is actually my homemade U pin. I bent a double point knitting needle around the neck of a water bottle :p lol. I honestly just about sobbed when i thought i lost it traveling to my nephews birthday party. I made 3 originlly and i only have one left now so i guard it very carefully.

I love it becasue its hard to see once inserted and is very versitile. It hold several very secure buns it will easily hold a cinnabun all day with only one redo and i can do a nautilus in the morning and not touch it till showering ta night and its still firm on my head :).

lapushka
February 15th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Bent knitting needles, Amish pins, and other assorted U-pins, claw clips, metalfree elastic bands, Quattro's, Ficcare's (maximas, ficcarissimo), Flexi-8's, wooden hair sticks and forks (from various favored and loved sellers around here).

I'm sure if you look around the boards a bit, you'll discover these hairtoy makers and their sites and/or shops all on your own. :flower:

Vercelli
February 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
As to Ficcares I would recommend Ficcarissimo as they seem to be easier to handle (to my taste).

With regard to hair stuff in general I think you could differentiate between "toys" and "tools". In some cases these categories might even be mixed together. (I know, it's a science...) But to me most hair forks fall into both categories whereas certain single hair sticks are mainly toys and not so much tools.

But as I said that's my personal taste.

Specifically, I am more a "fork person" which means nothing else than that I am not very talented in using hair sticks on its own. However, with forks I can manage quite well even though I am not a very patient and creative person, so I tend to wear the same bun style day after day. Boring me.:o

saskia_madding
February 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
My absolutely favourite hair toy in the 'most practical' department is my 60th Street 4 prong hair fork. Honestly, nothing has ever held better than that.

Second are a pair of Ketylos, preferably in acrylic, so I can wear them in damp hair. That's another hair toy that has never let me down.

dancingmegs
February 15th, 2011, 02:55 PM
When my hair was long, my needs were pretty simple and basic. Metal-free hair bands for braids, large ficcare maxims clip, and a long straight wooden hair fork. I don't care for a lot of fuss and glitz, and my nearly knee length hair required heavy duty tools!

krissykins
February 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Definitely my Ficcare Maximas and my Barefoot Maiden hairsticks :)

LILBERT
February 16th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Honestly, my 'got to have hair toys' are my ketylo and my ficcare maximas. I couldnt wear my ficcare up till a couple of months ago. Now i wear a french twist with my ficcare maximas. And i wear a pencil bun with my ketylos, the corkscrew shape makes them hold like a rock and they are so simplistic they go with everything. They are the workhorses of my hairtoy collection.

smileycat
February 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM
60th Street fork (3-prong for me) and a pair of Ketylos

sapphire-o
February 19th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Wooden hair forks, Ficcares and velvet scrunchies for bedtime. These are the ones I won't go without.

Kristin
February 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM
Goody Ouchless Elastic hair ties for the ends of braids and Goody Spin Pins because they are awesome and the only thing that will invisibly hold a bun for more than 5 minutes. Right now my favorite unconventional hair toy is a pink ivory 2-prong fork from Grahtoestudio. I use it pretty much every day at some point because it can hold at least three different types of buns in my hair.

elaiesusandavie
February 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
My silvery stick barrette is my go-to. I'd love to get one of those 70-s style leather oval stick barrettes too...

Yamainu
February 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I have a simple spiral wooden hairstick that was the first toy I ever bought. It's still what I use (in a Nautilus) when I can't find/don't want to mess with anything else.

Non-conventional... my silk pillowcase. No more rats nests!!!!!

wavykisses
February 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Since my hair is still pretty short (APL) and very fine, I use claw clips I have
them in different shapes like butterflies, rounds.... with a little gems and stones.
Even though I wear my hair in the same form almost every day because of my lenght,
it looks different with my claws.

wavykisses
February 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Here are some of my claws hope you can see them

http://http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p457/karla409/IMG_1574.jpg

carabean
February 24th, 2011, 12:13 PM
would it be possible for you to make a video or a sequense with photos where you use the goody pins btw?

Sunnyhope...I am with ddiana on the spin pins. They looked quite daunting to me at first, but they are quite easy. You just make a ponytail (I use a terry cloth circlet to hold up my ponytail) and then wrap the tail around cinnamon bun style. You screw one scroo in the top and one in the bottom. Viola! Magic....

Lianna
February 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Metal hairsticks so I can use with damp hair (everyday washer), plain hair ties (I often start a bun with a ponytail), small pins to aid in some buns, scrunchies for sock buns, "sock donut" for sock bun. I have a few forks but not "necessary" since I prefer sticks (pairs). I need some kind of hair toy for half-ups aswell, being cute barretes/slides or small flexi 8's. Side combs are nice too, I like that style a lot (sides pushed back).

RocketDog
February 27th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Ficcare Maximas clips and spin pins are my favorites, but I have amish pins and a wooden fork along with a whole mess of bobby pins, both decorated and plain, along with goody hairbands in a few sizes.

meriellyn
March 23rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Small no-snag elastics for the ends of braids (I have fine thin hair so a regular elastic at the end is bulky and looks ridiculous), amish hair pins, and my big plastic clip that is vaguely ficcare-esque in shape for quickly tossing it up. Also, Goody makes these new kinda jelly-like ponytail holders that are great. They're soft and gentle for my hair but stay put at the gym and don't absorb sweat and whatnot. I have some spin pins as well but I've only used them a time or two so far. Seem promising though. I love the large hairpin from the same line, although it does flake after a while which kinda sucks.

And my wide toothed combs. I have combs everywhere... every room in the house and every bag I use. Lol.

ladypurple
March 27th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Grahtoe hair forks for sure! They are simple, functional, and go well with everything I wear. Bare Maiden hairsticks are gorgeous and perfect for glamming up a simple outfit, and for my bangs that get in the way I love those tiny claw clips that hold without snagging my hair or drawing too much attention to themselves. I'm thinking of getting a Ficcare Maximus after hearing all the raves about them though....