PDA

View Full Version : The red thread!

Pages : [1] 2

Isilme
June 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I decided since we have a thread for dark haired people, one for blondes and one for brunettes we could have one for redheads! So, how do you keep your red, do you dye, or is it natural?
I have red hair, natural red hair, I mean, henna is natural, isn't it?;) I try to not go too dark since I like it light/bright. And I have to wash quite often if I don't want it to appear darker. I also find a rinse with white vinegar keeps it brighter.Let's talk about red hair!

(Mods, if you feel it gets too much with invidual threads about the colours, feel free to delete this one!)

Islandgrrl
June 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM
<----- Redhead. I henna, though, every now and again to cover grey, but I'm going natural for a while at least, just to see how much grey I have and whether or not I still hate it.

Euphony
June 10th, 2008, 01:42 PM
My hair has a lot of natural red in it, but mine is currently henna'd. I think you could call mine auburn, maybe leaning a bit to red more than brown though.

I look better in darker hair with my complexion, eye color and eye brows, nature had a good laugh in creating me however. My natural hair color is a chocolate brown that bleaches to gold, which those colors look fine with my complexion, but they should be much darker so it doesn't look like I bleach.

I always find it funny when I read about people insisting that your natural hair color is superior no matter what the color is. Yeah try living in my world for a while, thick, wavy hair that bleaches out to blonde during the summer if I live in a climate with a lot of sun. Right on top of a woman that has extremely dark brown eyes, dark brown nearly black eye brows and washed out Native American skin color.

I've actually gotten into arguments with people over whether I bleach my hair! With henna I get, What BEAUTIFUL hair! Yeah, I'll take the latter.

So yep, call me red!

heidihug
June 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I always find it funny when I read about people insisting that your natural hair color is superior no matter what the color is.
My natural color is a really ugly - and I mean ugly - dark flat brown with lots of dull gray around my face. Hideous. I inherited the saddest, most un-shiny hair texture from my mother. She, my sis and I all color, thank goodness.

I love that I can color it - I used to just lighten up the brown to a medium, and this covered the gray, too. But for the past several years I have been going auburn - a medium in the summer, a dark medium in the winter. Auburn red really seems to suit my coloring, and I love the way it looks in up-dos. I don't plan on changing anytime soon. And my hair loves to be colored - it's soft and silky afterwards, and I rarely get split ends.

Henna enthusiasts seem to really like that method of coloring, but it seems like quite a bit more work than chemical, though I could be wrong. I figure, I found a method and color that I like, I don't want to mess with it.

Islandgrrl
June 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM
heidihug, if you can maintain healthy beautiful hair at your length *and* chemically color it, you're obviously doing something right! Gorgeous, by the way!

angelthadiva
June 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm a bottle fed medium Auburn here...I do have natural red highlights though.

KatKeRo
June 10th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I'm a hennahead.
My natural color is an ashbrownish thing that gives me a washed out look.

sweetlidlred
June 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I am a natural red head, I have started to do henna glosses though just to make my natural red hair a little more spunky. I did not like being a red head until I read Anne of Green Gables when I was 13 and from that moment on I was so Happy to have red hair just like Anne.

p.s-you can view my profile to see my last henna gloss

Anje
June 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm naturally somewhere in the titian-auburn spectrum. Looks something like KatKeRo's sig in the sun. (Well, you can see my profile pic, which is un-colored hair.) Then I've got henna on top of it, except for the top few inches.

Pikkukala
June 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I henna my hair - I'd much rather have it red. Naturally it's (in my opinion) a rather drab brown, although it was a more red/ginger colour when I was little - but unfortunately it got darker as I got older :wail:

Fencai
June 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM
well, the last time I saw my natural color... about 12 years ago.. ahem:whistle: it was a light brown/dirty blonde with a LOT of natural red highlights in it.
Now I henna my hair (only just started and have done it twice) I havent seen the color budge at all! and I LOVE it!!!

mugglemomof3
June 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I was born a blonde, but it turned brown in junior high. I was convinced that I should be blonde so for years and years I tried to dye my hair back to it's "original" blonde. :rolleyes: Always turned out a horribly brassy orange color. I finally had a nice colorist (who had known me for years, incidentally) tell me that I had tons of red highlights and a red undertone, so "quit ruining your hair and just go red".

So maybe I was meant to be a natural red! :eyebrows:

I use ION stuff from Sally's (Medium Red Brown (4R-4.6)) and I've never been happier!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a link to some of my haircolors over the years:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=1269
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=1267

I keep saying I'd like to try henna, but I can barely find the time to do my roots as often as they need it, so I don't think I'll be able to spend all the time necessary for henna, not for awhile anyway. *sigh*

EvaSimone
June 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am an involuntary, unnatural auburn head :D

Red is one of those colors that won't go away . . . no matter how much you wish it away (or color it). I love red hair on other people but after 3 years I want to go back to my natural color which is an almost black/brown. I have about 6 inches of natural roots and about 22 inches of an auburn/red.

One day I'll probably say that I have 22" of natural hair and only 6" of auburn left, I can wish right?!?!

Sceleste
June 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm a redhead, not natural though. I have hennaed my hair for about a year. My natural color is medium brown - I really really dislike it.

I love red hair, I've loved it for as long as I remember. I don't really like red as a color (in clothing for example) but there's something about red hair that makes me go "ooooh". It's fiery, passionate, vivid and alive. I do like all shades of red but bright orangey red is my favourite.

I use henna for the color, not for the hennaing process itself. I don't find it any harder than using box dyes but it's messy, takes time and makes my hair smell of grass, yuck. Now I henna only roots because I don't want the color to go too dark red, and do it about every 3 weeks.

I'm still experimenting with the color and how to keep it bright. I'm using ACV as a final rinse but might try white vinegar if it keeps hair brighter like Isilme said. I've tried a few ingredients like tomato on my hair but haven't noticed any change in hair color.

I wish I had more freckles. Red hair + freckles = :heart:

Riot Crrl
June 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I love red hair you guys.

I'm a henna head but I've only been one for a few months. I really like it!

I don't really do anything to keep it red except add more henna. I think henna is easy. It seems complicated because lots of people are mixing it with millions of adjuncts. I think people just like mixing stuff. I just slop some water in it and glop it on.

EvaSimone
June 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I think henna is easy. It seems complicated because lots of people are mixing it with millions of adjuncts. I think people just like mixing stuff. I just slop some water in it and glop it on.

:rolling:
I don't know how many times I've thought that when I've heard 30 ingredient long lists of Henna concoctions... I've always been like :confused:

Elainehali
June 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
=P another box dye red here. Though I've been considering henna.

Those of you with red hair, what colors do you think look best on you clothing-wise?

Riot Crrl
June 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Those of you with red hair, what colors do you think look best on you clothing-wise?

Black; charcoal. LOL.

Kirin
June 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Flaming henna head here. My natural hair is a liver-black mess with wide white stripes of gray. Now, its dark jewel red with flaming candy apple stripes, woohoo! I get comments on "how did you get that cool stripe effect??". Nature honey, just nature........*nail buff* lol.

i dont worry about darkening, in fact i welcome it and saturate my whole head about once every two weeks to help that big ol white frontage from appearing. Henna isn't difficult, just time consuming....... i hate sitting around for hours every two weeks, its a drag.

squiggyflop
June 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
my natural color is auburn.. i intensify it with henna.. i wish i had my brothers color.. it is a wonderful shade of orange..

well green always looks good on me.. as long as its not lime green.. i look great in browns too.. ive been told that i look good in dark purple.. gray makes me look like a zombie.. pink looks weird next to my red hair.. tan looks ok.. i find that as makeup goes browns and violets look good with my red hair and pale freckly skin..
however black maskara looks awful. it just screams "unatural!!" next to my red hair..

though you have to remember that clothing doesnt just have to go with hair but with skin tone aswell.. im pale and freckly

rchorr
June 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
My natural color (or at least it was natural when I was younger! ;^) ranges from almost strawberry blonde in the summer, to a darker auburn in the winter. My hair bleaches out as fast as my skin burns (yup ... celtic blood there :-)

However, now I also henna because there's an awful lot of gray (actually silver) in there, too. I only leave the henna on for 5-10 min. or I'd look like Bozo! LOL!

RCHORR'

kwaniesiam
June 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM
For a while I was a bottle red, then I switched to henna. Now I'm letting my natural brown grow out because the henna had gotten too dark, and I'm curious what my natural color is. If I ever decide to color again, it will definitely be henna red, its the only other color that suits me.

flapjack
June 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
My hair is red/brown with some blonde streaks and tones that like to randomly show up if I'm in the sun for 0.5 seconds. Lately, I feel like I'm getting more blonde hairs every day, my hairline near my forehead is having a blonde party at the moment.

As for colors I look good in, like mentioned, skin tone is a lot of it. My skin tone is light/medium with yellow tones. Supposedly I look good in black, blues, greens, some pastels and any color that is bright looks pretty good against my skin. That's why I like summer because I can bust out all my obnoxiously bright t shirts. They make my arms and face look really tan and my eyes look really green. Works for me, haha.

curly girl fla
June 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hey-can I join y'all? I've just recently started posting here, and feel another forum addiction coming on...I used to be a natural light auburn, and always chemically colored all sorts of reds usually (sometimes slid off the blonde or brunette end), but now I am an official henna head -talk about addiction--henna is a major one. As I get older, my hair is coming in more of a very dark brunette with red tones, just a tad of grey on one side. 3a/b with some 2 shot through it, I guess about bsl, maybe longer...I am naturally fair, but tan easily, and have peachy/pink undertones to a neutral complexion-at least, that's what I determined via mineral make up, lol...colors that look best on me-definitely earthy-rusts, greens, browns, yellows and reds...blues and pastels really wash me out, but it doesn't always stop me from trying the :-p

Anje
June 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Clothing colors... For me (and I'm fairly high-contrast, with pale freckly warm skin, auburnish hair, and dark eyes, brows, and lashes), I look best in dark browns, army greens, pumpkiny oranges, and black. Warmer burgundy and purple are OK, but not the best. Lighter "autumn" shades like camel and oatmeal are just too close to my skintone and aren't nearly as good as the standard color spectrum would indicate. I also advocate ivory over cool white, but it's not wonderful on me.

paradoxx
June 11th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Oddly, I am both a natural and a bottle redhead. My hair is naturally a bright, strawberry blonde with tons of orangey-red streaks. As this color clashes badly with my cool-toned skin, I dye my hair a cool auburn. However, everyone assumes that it's my natural color. :D

jel
June 11th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I've been a redhead for about 3 years, first with box dyes (which kept fading very quickly), and then henna. Before that I was a bottle blonde for about 10 years or so - my natural colour being an ashy version of mousy dark blonde/brown.

I love the brightness of henna, but in addition to the colour I really appreciate the strengthening effects. I sometimes add cassia to my mix (which is henna powder + red tea), but recently I've gone back to pure henna, with cassia conditioning treatments in between.

Regarding clothing colours, I love the contrast of greeny-blues, like aqua, turquoise and teal.

Isilme
June 11th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Nice to see so many redheads! Both natural and bottle as well as henna. Those of you who use bottle, doesn't it fade very fast?
Interesting to bring up the topic about clothing colours, I tend to avoid true red in clothes near my face, and some shades of pink/magenta. On the other hand I love plum purple, all kinds of blue and green. And with red hair I no longer look washed out in grey.
Do most of you turn red in the sun? I do, even if I wasn't born a redhead.
ETA. mugglemomof3, you could have been born a redhead!

betsala
June 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM
another natural redhead here! my hair lightens in the summer and darkens in the winter depending on sun exposure. i burn if i even think about the sun :) oh and i freckle like mad. i cannot wear red or pink (i think this is because of a clash with my skintone) and i look best in greens, plums, brown and cobalt blue. i just want to say that i love the beauty and variation of naturally (and unnaturally) occurring reds, esp. with henna. yay redheads of all kinds!

Sam-I-Am
June 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I'm a natural redhead with cool-toned (pinkish) skin. I don't have super freckled skin, but I do get freckles when I am out in the sun too long. My skin burns very easily.

Green is the best color on me ever. I was looking in my closet yesterday and of the 8 summer shirts I have for work, 5 of them are some shade of green! I also wear a lot of blue, any shade of blue, and, oddly, I can wear rosy pink and coral really well. I can also wear brown and burnt orange and I look fantastic in them. I could probably wear ivory but I am prone to staining things :silly:

Not so good colors are any shade of purple, pastels, and black.

I love my red hair. My dad is a natural redhead too, and when my mom was pregnant with me, he told everyone that he didn't care if it was a boy or girl, just as long as the baby didn't have red hair. He hated his hair. Well, in the delivery room, as my mom was pushing me out, a nurse said, "I can't see if it's a boy or a girl, but whatever it is, it's got RED HAIR!" And that has never changed :) I think I have some pictures of me as a kid in one of my photo albums if you want to see!

ilovelonghair
June 11th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Sam-I-Am, you got the perfect red color, I'm jealous!

I henna my hair, but haven't been able to get that right color yet. I want it more bright but I'm afraid if I henna too much I will get cherry toned hair.
My own hair color is some sort of dark blonde with a faint copper tint. But because I still have old chemical hairdye in my lenghts so my hair is two toned now. I'm experimenting to find a way to get the right color in those lenghts.
I noticed that henna makes my virgin hair much darker and in artificial light it often looks brown. No idea how to change that. or maybe it's normal.

heidihug
June 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM
if you can maintain healthy beautiful hair at your length *and* chemically color it, you're obviously doing something right! Gorgeous, by the way!

Thanks, Islandgrrl, that's sweet of you to say. I've always admired your hair and its color. I'm pretty careful not to apply touch-up color to much more than the roots, that probably helps keep it relatively undamaged.

Those of you who use bottle, doesn't it fade very fast?

Isilme, it doesn't fade much on me, perhaps because I am a darker brown underneath? I touch up my roots every two months or so, when I get to the point that I can't stand the dull brown and gray showing through.

When I was in my 20's, I had my hair colored at a salon. I always wanted to have beautiful auburn red hair. But I always ended up with purply-red hair (What's up with that color, anyway? When you tell a stylist auburn, shouldn't they be able to figure out how to give you auburn? But I see so many women with that purply tone to their hair.). Silly me, I kept going back and having it colored the same way though. Isn't that the definition of madness? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? I finally realized that it was not worth the $60 I was spending every 3 months when I didn't like the result. I let my natural hair grow out, then started coloring at home. My hair is in better shape, and is a much more natural color now than it has been since I was a little girl.

angelthadiva
June 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I love red hair you guys.

I'm a henna head but I've only been one for a few months. I really like it!

I don't really do anything to keep it red except add more henna. I think henna is easy. It seems complicated because lots of people are mixing it with millions of adjuncts. I think people just like mixing stuff. I just slop some water in it and glop it on.

I love the color of henna heads!! It does seem complicated to me, that's the main reason I haven't taken the plunge myself...If I screwed my hair up--I would be beyond ticked off...Let's just say, THAT would not be a good day!

There are too many variants and potential outcomes--And the whole IT'S PERMANENT scares the stuffin's out of me! :shocked:

burns_erin
June 11th, 2008, 09:29 AM
nature had a good laugh in creating me however. My natural hair color is a chocolate brown that bleaches to gold, which those colors look fine with my complexion, but they should be much darker so it doesn't look like I bleach.

I always find it funny when I read about people insisting that your natural hair color is superior no matter what the color is. Yeah try living in my world for a while, thick, wavy hair that bleaches out to blonde during the summer if I live in a climate with a lot of sun. Right on top of a woman that has extremely dark brown eyes, dark brown nearly black eye brows and washed out Native American skin color.

So yep, call me red!

Yeah, that is definitely me too, except my roots come in just a few shades under black with lots of red highlights. Then if I do nothing, by the time it is BSL it is almost white yellow at the ends. But I am a henna head and love it. Healthy, shiny, more even colored hair. What's not to love. Now if I can just get up the courage to do the eyebrows, I will be set.

Anje
June 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Wow, lots of people who wear blue. Blue in just about any form is awful for me. It needs to stay far away from my face.

burns_erin
June 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Since I am very tan, it is awkward to find colors that work. I wear a lot of black. But I can pull off bright greens-but not jewel tone green, blues of almost any color-including the only pastel I can wear (sky or baby blue), and oddity of oddities, true red.

Shell
June 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm a blonde to strawberry blonde, and I've done a couple of henna glosses. My sig shows my color while it's fresh and glowing! It's much more sedate now. Here it is yesterday:

http://www.gossamerstrands.com/Hair/dupattahair.JPG

I wear brown (obviously), tan, black, green (green is very good--jade to lime to sage--all but emerald), pumpkin, red, grey, and plums. I have to be careful with blues (some are good, but many are bad), white is bad, ivory is only okay, yellow sometimes, taupe rarely, mustard is bad. My husband calls the last two colors "death colors" because apparently they make me look ghastly!

I guess I'm kind of a neutral, my hair and skin are similarly colored, I have dark eyes and I tan, and I have reddish hair. Like Euphony, whoever put me together was confused!

Sam-I-Am
June 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM

angelthadiva
June 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
[quote=Shell;145358]I'm a blonde to strawberry blonde, and I've done a couple of henna glosses. My sig shows my color while it's fresh and glowing! It's much more sedate now. Here it is yesterday:

http://www.gossamerstrands.com/Hair/dupattahair.JPG

<snip>

I love your hair, Shell! It's so pretty! :D

Hypnotica
June 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3145/2357598481_91026c8b89.jpg?v=0

I look good in dark, rich colours, black, grey, dark brown. I prefer them to be "cold" to suit both my hair and my skin.

heidihug
June 11th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I look best in most greens (I have green eyes), black, gray, true (tending towards the blue) red and navy blue. My wardrobe is very boring. Mostly blacks with occasional accent colors. That's OK, most days I like my hair to be the focal point of my ensemble, anyway.

mugglemomof3
June 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Nice to see so many redheads! Both natural and bottle as well as henna. Those of you who use bottle, doesn't it fade very fast?

The fade has always bugged me until now. This ION color from Sally's works both ways for me - I love the "just colored" shade and I love the shade it fades to!!!! :cheese:

ETA. mugglemomof3, you could have been born a redhead!

awwww - thank you!

~~~~

I don't care what colors look good on me - I just wear whatever colors and patterns I like to see when I look down! ;) That said, I love it when I am wearing a teal or blue or black when I take hair photos because I adore the way my hair looks against such pretty backdrops! :cool:

angelthadiva
June 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Hypnotica: I love your hair color, especially when you did that one updo w/the green hair toy!! Wow, girl! :)

shawngal
June 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Can I join in the fun?

Natural redhead here(pics in my photo album) who has had to resort to dyeing it now that I'm going gray. I haven't colored in over 6 months since Garnier stopped making the color I used and I haven't really found one that's close.

I tend to look good in black, turquoise, aqua, most shades of green, dark browns and oddly enough, pink.

Hypnotica
June 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hypnotica: I love your hair color, especially when you did that one updo w/the green hair toy!! Wow, girl! :)

The quill stick with dangles?

angelthadiva
June 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
The quill stick with dangles?

I think that's the one--Total hair (color) envy!

Hypnotica
June 11th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I think that's the one--Total hair (color) envy!

Well, it's not that purple IRL :)

ilovelonghair
June 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
But I always ended up with purply-red hair (What's up with that color, anyway?

That nasty kind of eggplant purple-red. I had that once with henna, I bought pre mixed henna (shouldn't have done that) and my hair ended up all cherry red, really awful. I'm still scared that henna would do that somehow to my hair.

kissedbyfyre
June 13th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Natural redhead here with strawberry blond coloring. I've started doing henna glosses myself for the conditioning qualities. Strand tests of pure henna showed NO color change. All the henna glosses do is pump up my shine and make things more vivid in sunlight. Here's my most current photo. My henna stained arm is due to slopping the goo on my boyfriends hair the day this photo was taken.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/laughingsatyr/hair/Photoexpirmentcopy.jpg

I tend to prefer A LOT of black. But I also look great in blues, greens, and certain shades of purples.

almudena
June 13th, 2008, 05:29 AM
kissedbyfire you are absolutely gorgeous. Cover Model girl.
LOVE your glasses :)

kissedbyfyre
June 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Thank you! :flowers:

Isilme
June 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
kissedbyfyre, I have to agree with the previous speaker! Absolutely! It looks smashing with your green eyes, purple eyeshadow to your red hair. Now, where did I have that purple eyeshadow of mine...

sibylla
June 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Henna redhead here!

I have strawberry blonde with much red in it as my natural color. It brings out the green in my eyes and I love how it makes me stand out in a crowd...

kissedbyfyre
June 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Thank you Isilme. =) Purple eyeshadow is wonderful! I need to buy some more, hehe.

Gothic Lolita
June 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm joining too! My natural color is brownish with a great tendency to look red in the sunlight. After I joined LHC I started doing really light henna glosses to enhance the reddish look more and more. I prefer this dark shade of red natural redheads get and that you can never get with chemical color. Like here when you scroll to Majbritt A.
http://www.redhead-models.com/FrontEnd/

I have a fair complexion but get lightly tanned with no freckles (unfortunately). My eyes are green and I look best in black (which is what I wear nearly always, talk about goths and so on), purple and dark green. Sometimes I even wear white but I always think that I might looks sick in it. Also some shade of red looks great.

Oh yes and silver, purple and black eyeshadow!

Elainehali
June 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
my natural color is auburn.. i intensify it with henna.. i wish i had my brothers color.. it is a wonderful shade of orange..

well green always looks good on me.. as long as its not lime green.. i look great in browns too.. ive been told that i look good in dark purple.. gray makes me look like a zombie.. pink looks weird next to my red hair.. tan looks ok.. i find that as makeup goes browns and violets look good with my red hair and pale freckly skin..
however black maskara looks awful. it just screams "unatural!!" next to my red hair..

though you have to remember that clothing doesnt just have to go with hair but with skin tone aswell.. im pale and freckly

I'm pale on purpose. There are too many fake tan girls where I live, and I enjoy being different.

I agree green is the way to go for us. I like emerald green, and dark purple.

As far as makeup goes, have you tried L'oreal eyshadow #820 golden sunset? That looks very nice with brown eyes. (I think I remember seeing a pic of you, and I seem to remember brown eyes.) I use a lot of fake eyelashes, but I blend them with my real ones with a brown mascara. Black does look unnatural, I agree.

Gothic Lolita
June 16th, 2008, 06:24 AM
What I think is interesting is that people always connect red hair with green eyes. But if you see it from the genetic side, green eyes are really rare. Most people with red hair have blue or brown eyes.
But I agree, red hair and green eyes look so pretty. I adore everyone who was born with a head full of pretty red hairs.

heidihug
June 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM
But if you see it from the genetic side, green eyes are really rare.
Lolita, I agree. True green eyes are pretty rare where I live, but, oddly, blueish green eyes are not. I know several people who say they think they have green eyes but really don't - they just have flecks of green in blue. I am lucky in that I have true green eyes, which is one reason that I like my hair to be auburn instead of brown. I think the colors complement each other nicely.

unaspenser
June 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM
So much beautiful red hair! I'm a natural auburn/red, though lately my hair color has seemed to cool and acquire more of a very dark blonde look. I have done henna glosses in the past, but they really didn't seem to change my color much, and I have no discernable roots. I'm one of those odd redheads with pale skin and freckles but dark enough hair that I often get told it's brown, especially because I wear it up/hide it the vast majority of the time. I love my red though.

Gothic Lolita
June 16th, 2008, 09:24 AM
heidihug: I know what you mean. Here in Germany blue eyes are the most common ones, followes by brown ones. I am lucky that I have green eyes too. and for the same reasons as you do, I prefer my hair more reddish and brownish.

Shell
June 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I love your hair, Shell! It's so pretty! :D

Thanks! It's so nice to hear encouragement.

redcelticcurls
June 23rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Natural dishwater blonde who bottles red. My dad is a redhead and I seem to have gotten the skin from him, but not the hair color, lol.

Delenn
June 23rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
Checking in! I'm a dark blond who uses henna. I love the color, it's a lot more interesting to me than what I have naturally. I think I mentioned this in another thread but either I like my hair natural and chemically highlighted or with henna. Henna is much easier and more practical for me so... here we are. :)

Gothic Lolita
June 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
redcelticcurls, you know I was really shocked when I read for the first time that your color is dyed. It looks so natural and I'd murder to have that color!

But on the other side, I've developed my henna mix, know using cassia and henna which is also giving me a nice color. I need to take a picture. And I want orangish sun streaks!

squiggyflop
June 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'm pale on purpose. There are too many fake tan girls where I live, and I enjoy being different.

I agree green is the way to go for us. I like emerald green, and dark purple.

As far as makeup goes, have you tried L'oreal eyshadow #820 golden sunset? That looks very nice with brown eyes. (I think I remember seeing a pic of you, and I seem to remember brown eyes.) I use a lot of fake eyelashes, but I blend them with my real ones with a brown mascara. Black does look unnatural, I agree.
im just unnaturally pale.. i dont do it on purpose.. when i went through my goth stage i didnt even need goth white foundation..

if i get money ill check out L'oreal for the eyeshadow you mentioned.. i dont wear makeup often (too lazy) i always wanted to use fake eyelashes but i touch my eyes too often i think.. i do wear brown volume exact mascara on occasion..

Belisama
June 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
My natural hair, which I haven't seen (counts on fingers) in nearly 9 years, is a ash-blond, dirty dishwater color. It looks blah, especially against my pale un-sunkissed complexion. And the roots look grey compared to the red as they grow out, though it does allow me to see that my hair is still growing, so there is a positive side to it.

I have been a henna redhead for 3 years now and love it. It's healthy, it is simple, and it forces me to stay home on the weekend and clean the house as I am certainly not bumming around town with green mud gooped on my head beneath saran wrap, a shower cap, and a towel. :D

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Belisama-I usually stay home and clean too when I henna, it is a really good way to manage time. ALthough I did learn something interesting this weekend. If you do go out with a henna head wrapped in Saranwrap, you get awfully quick service. LOL

LongForLife
June 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Well... I always thought of myself as having dark brown hair with red in it, that is really enhanced in the sun. I just recently realized that probably means I am actually a Dark Auburn. Here are some close up pics of my hair... what do you think? Dark Auburn? I don't have any pictures of my hair out in the sun, but it brings out the red even more. The pics show my hair in different lighting.

http://www.countryartistantiques.com/Close Up Hair Color1a.jpg
http://www.countryartistantiques.com/Close Up Hair Color2a.jpg
http://www.countryartistantiques.com/Close Up Hair Color3a.jpg

ItalianFlower
June 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Wow. There are a LOT more hennaed people here than I expected! ^_^ Henna or natural though, all the redheads on this site have GORGEOUS hair and I'm sure it makes you stand out that much more! ^_^ (Obviously I'm not a redhead...I couldn't pull it off regardless as I'm naturally really darkskinned/non-freckly. :O But I still admire it nonetheless.)

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Wow. There are a LOT more hennaed people here than I expected! ^_^ Henna or natural though, all the redheads on this site have GORGEOUS hair and I'm sure it makes you stand out that much more! ^_^ (Obviously I'm not a redhead...I couldn't pull it off regardless as I'm naturally really darkskinned/non-freckly. :O But I still admire it nonetheless.)

Never say never, lots of us are dark skinned not freckled people. Myself and my father included. You get some very strange things genetically speaking when you cross native americans with irish.

flapjack
June 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I have light olive toned skin with no freckles and quite a bit of red in my hair. So I'm somewhere in-between. However, I'm also not Irish or Native American at all, hahaha. Mine is the result of some madness between southern France, Russia and Central Asia.

LuXious
June 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Mine is henna, but started box dyeing it red in high school. just can't get away from it. Went from red to blonde, went between bleach and blonde-dying torture and brown for about two years, grew out the natural color then turned around and dyed it red in 2002 and it's been red ever since. I love it though. Better, since you can't get rid of henna.

Oskimosa
June 25th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm a hennahead.

KatKeRo, I absolutely A D O R E your hair!:inlove: I don't mean to gush, but your's is almost exactly my goal length and color. We've got similar wave too. I ran across your siggy pic in another thread but didn't wanna go terribly off topic, but wow!

Seems you also have a similar starting color to me. Tell me, what is your henna mix and method?

And yes, I'm an artificial redhead :p Yay, henna!

ailin
June 25th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I'm a hennahead.

Same here.

MyFireElf
June 25th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I'm in awe of all the gorgeous hennaheads! My color is natural, which I suppose is lucky because I'm way to disorganized and impatient to maintain color like that. I thought it was interesting what Isilme said in the OP about the color getting darker when it's not washed - that's certainly been my experience. :p

Somebody mentioned Anne of Green Gables - when you think about it it seems like redheaded heroines are pretty consistently awesome; along with Anne are Strawberry Shortcake, Ginny Weasley and Lily Potter, Ariel, Fiona from Shrek, Little Orphan Annie, Donna Noble on Doctor Who, Nancy Drew, and (of course) Pippi Longstocking. A random sampling would indicate that red rocks pretty hard, and I'm glad to be one. :D

KatKeRo
June 25th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Thank you Oskimosa and Ailin.

KatKeRo, I absolutely A D O R E your hair!:inlove: I don't mean to gush, but your's is almost exactly my goal length and color. We've got similar wave too. I ran across your siggy pic in another thread but didn't wanna go terribly off topic, but wow!

Seems you also have a similar starting color to me. Tell me, what is your henna mix and method?

And yes, I'm an artificial redhead :p Yay, henna!

I use copperhenna from the BodyShop (unfortunatly they don't sell it anymore) mixed with a tablespoon of lemonjuice and cheap conefree conditioner. The last 3 henna's I mixed acajouhenna from Henné Color in my mix: usually about a third of the red with 2 thirds of the copper.
I mix my henna in the evening and apply it in the morning.
When my henna from the Body Shop is gone I plan to use copperhenna from Henné Color.

Oskimosa
June 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thank you Oskimosa and Ailin.

I use copperhenna from the BodyShop (unfortunatly they don't sell it anymore) mixed with a tablespoon of lemonjuice and cheap conefree conditioner. The last 3 henna's I mixed acajouhenna from Henné Color in my mix: usually about a third of the red with 2 thirds of the copper.
I mix my henna in the evening and apply it in the morning.
When my henna from the Body Shop is gone I plan to use copperhenna from Henné Color.

So do you think that has some cassia in it or something? Or is it pure BAQ henna? Do you do roots only or apply all over? Heehee sorry for the interrogation, your hair is fabulous and much to be envied, pea green and all. :D

KatKeRo
June 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I don't think it has cassia in it: it doesn't say on the box and I don't think it's BAQ henna.
I apply all over.

LadyMoon11
June 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hello!:waving:
I am a fellow red head. My natural color is a dark strawberry blonde- close to kissedbyfyre's color, but a little less vivid. I use henna and cassia to richen the red in my hair.

I have henna'd for about three years now with BAQ. Before that I used non-BAQ henna, and/or changed my hair color to all sorts of colors. All the hair on my head now is virgin with only BAQ henna.

I adore red hair. :inlove: With my complexion, the warm, vivid red I achieve with henna and cassia is very complimentary and natural. I recently contemplated ceasing henna and going au natural, but I nixed that, caved in and henna'd two days ago. :silly:

BTW- if any of your red heads are looking for a wonderful mascara, I purchase mine from justforredheads.com (http://www.justforredheads.com/). they have great colors for red heads- light strawberry to dark auburn. I have one that is a light red that I use most of the time- it is just enough color to naturally accentuate. I have a medium red I use when I want to go out or be more made-up. I have never been able to find red mascara before, so I was very excited when I found that website. I do not bother buying any of the other make up form there, but red mascara is virtually impossible to find.
Cheers to my fellow reds!:beerchug::toast::bottomsup:

Missa
July 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I have light auburn hair naturally but I use henna to tame the frizz and make it looks brighter red.

Cinnamon.locks
July 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Joining this fun thread! Natural red head here, born light copper started to turn a weird dark copper in high school and then realized the color changed depending on seasons. in summer my hair lightens to a ginger/light copper if i spend alot of time in the sun and in winter it goes to dark copper/cinnamon red. pale skin with some freckles. 8 out of 10 in my family has some tint of red hair, it goes all the way from strawberry blonde to dark red and from stick straight to super curly.

Best colors for me are : turquoise, emerald green, sapphire blue, royal purple, black and even pale baby pink. have never tried wearing orange or red, but like browns and have been told that i look good in a cherry red and in cranberry color. but i've always preffered turquoise it's my fave color.

will take more pics and share the different shades that can be seen inside and outside.

Pegasus Marsters
July 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I dye my hair a bright awesome red using schwarzkopf live color xxl in Red Passion. It's the most awesome red shade ever ^.^ Pics in my albums!

Patrycja
July 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I can't believe I haven't added to this thread yet :shocked: I'm a bottle red,dark red to be exact.I have natural slight red highlights in my hair.I have been trying to deny myself the red for many years but it keeps coming back.Every color I've tried,I've always ended up red again.So,I'm sticking with it this time.I love it even though it fades horribly.Maybe one day I'll try henna,but I'm too chicken to do it.

kwaniesiam
July 23rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I'm as red as red can get, thanks to trusty henna and manic panic. Oh how I've missed being a redhead :D I will attempt pics soon as I can get some good lighting, its been cloudy here and it looks too dark indoors.

rapunzhell13
July 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I love red hair, but unfortunately it does not love me. :( I'm always tempted though!

ilovelonghair
July 24th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I finally got a fresh new picture of my hair, here is my ever color changing hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=17540

It is still not the color I want it to be, as you see it changes color depending on lighting.

turpz
July 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I prefer this dark shade of red natural redheads get and that you can never get with chemical color. Like here when you scroll to Majbritt A.
http://www.redhead-models.com/FrontEnd/

Ooh, love her colour - http://redhead-models.com/setcards/RedHeadModel_70.png

Love the shades of the natural red heads in here too, kissedbyfyre, sam etc... I'm so tempted to henna mine but not sure how close/natural it'd look on my hair, cos I'm not entirely sure what my own hair colour is at the moment! Not used to seeing my natural colour (it's grown out about 3/4 inches, but the rest matches quite well) and it looks different all the time. Got a pic in my profile, and one recent one here: http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v296/66/78/606370623/n606370623_3651091_5291.jpg
(http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v296/66/78/606370623/n606370623_3651091_5291.jpg)
The fact I've actually posted after weeks of lurking suggests that the idea is still hanging around in my head though :p
(http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v296/66/78/606370623/n606370623_3651091_5291.jpg)

ReddestDream
August 2nd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Ooooh! Finally a thread for us redheads! :D

Cinnamon.locks (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=15071): Same thing happens to me! The summer sun lightens my hair and adds more kinda light red/blonde color to the mix.

LOL! Turquoise is my favorite color too! I like to think it helps bring out my eyes (green/hazel). I can wear oranges and yellows, but reds and pinks tend to wash me out . . . :rolleyes:

Someday, I need to get that camera working so I can share pics!

berr
August 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Natural red. Green hazel eyes. They can appear to change color depending on the color I wear. There is a dingy, cloudy day photo in my profile. I need a sunshine pic. :eyebrows:

Nyghtingale
August 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Bottle fed redhead here. Not ready to go gray, so I color. :pumpkin:

Elainehali
August 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Does anyone else put manic panic in their conditioner for a red-boost?

=P I just started doing this when I went CO.

JadeRyan
August 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Natural Redhead...Grew up being a true carrot top, that transistioned into a copperish/gold version of "strawberry blonde" I have never been one of those pale reddishblonde colors with cool toned skin...I've got very pale skin with loads of freckles, but I have a gold undertone.....I used to dye...from a box..started out with dark auburn when I was sixteen, through out early adult hood...then went to natural with dark red lowlights and strawberry blond highlights...I haven't actually colored my hair since I had my DD's (twins) almost 6 years ago...the pic that I used to have in my sig is the real color.

Nyghtingale
August 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
I am loving the henna color. Is there a thread here that explains how to get started with henna? I have searched but haven't found one yet. Never done it before so I don't know where to start.

wintersun99
August 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
here:
H4H (http://www.hennaforhair.com)

and here:
Articles (http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7)

crebbsgirl
August 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Nyghtngale, there's a really good article here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7) by Nightshade I suggest you read about henna.

I was born a medium brunette, but started chemically dying my hair in university as a solution to boredom. After I started dying it, no matter what colour, my hair would pull red. So I stopped fighting it and just started dying it red. Unfortunately, red chemical dye faded to a gross ginger colour on me. It didn't suit at all! So I tried going back to my natural colour but it just didn't suit either. Finally, a month or so ago I started to henna. I LOVE it!! I've got pictures on here somewhere :)

Colours I wear usually are black, grey, white, and jewel tones. :)

Nyghtingale
August 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Nyghtngale, there's a really good article here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7) by Nightshade I suggest you read about henna.

I was born a medium brunette, but started chemically dying my hair in university as a solution to boredom. After I started dying it, no matter what colour, my hair would pull red. So I stopped fighting it and just started dying it red. Unfortunately, red chemical dye faded to a gross ginger colour on me. It didn't suit at all! So I tried going back to my natural colour but it just didn't suit either. Finally, a month or so ago I started to henna. I LOVE it!! I've got pictures on here somewhere :)

Colours I wear usually are black, grey, white, and jewel tones. :)

same with me, no matter what color i put on it, it always has red highlights. i switched to red several years ago, but it just is never what i want. looking forward to giving this a try. thanks for the links guys

ChatoyantLocks
August 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
I'm a natural redhead and have the pale skin to go with it, so I have to stay out of the sun. My eyes are blue-gray.

The colors I look best in are purple, blue, green, orange, cream, gray, and black. I look strange in most pinks, reds, and browns, so I tend to avoid them.

VanillaTresses
August 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Sigh. Red! My favorite hair color. This is what happens when you have lots of redheads in your family but you don't happen to be one of them... I used to dye it red (please take it as a compliment!) but then stopped for a bit. I am currently in inner turmoil over whether to return to that shade. Dyed or hennaed it is never the same as natural, but I still think maybe it is time for a change. :confused:

Rapunzelwannabe
August 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I love the color of henna heads!! It does seem complicated to me, that's the main reason I haven't taken the plunge myself...If I screwed my hair up--I would be beyond ticked off...Let's just say, THAT would not be a good day!

There are too many variants and potential outcomes--And the whole IT'S PERMANENT scares the stuffin's out of me! :shocked:

Me too! I love red hair, and when my hair gets lots of sun it goes auburn-y brownish red, but I don't get enough sun to turn it naturally. Is it really that easy to get a good henna color? Sounds like a lot of initial experimenting and possiblities to go wrong.

redfirecherryop
September 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Another redhead. When I was born it was alburn..then mud brown red in high school.Now with
henna (red henna with chamomile tea)its a lovely red/copper.With my pale-pasty skin
(almost marshmellow white) it glows a bit but have been told its the color of "Rose Dewitt"
from Titanic movie :) yes..Im a bit vain.:P

ilovelonghair
September 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I got a color update picture:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=21819

This is the most accurate and very different to my signature pictures (in sun light it's brighter, but haven't had chance to take pictures in the sun yet). I want it more coppery-red, but very carefully trying that with henna.

redtea
September 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
ilovelonghair - That looks close to what my color always oxidizes to. When I first henna, it's always brighter, but after it oxidizes it looks mostly brown, except for out in the sun. I'm a little nervous to try a stronger henna/cassia mix since I don't want my hair really red, but I doubt I'll ever get it to stay exactly the color I want it (more like the color in my avatar which was taken in the sun right after a strong gloss).

HazelnutDelight
September 25th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I hennaed my hair a couple of times. I'm not sure exactly if it helped the condition of my hair, but I have natural strawberry blond hair.

Elainehali
September 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM
The other day I used a protein filler in red. (it's the stuff salons put on hair before coloring to even out how porus the hair is. It's supposed to help get even color)

It really helped boost my red color!

anyone else use a protein filler?

Dolly
September 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I wish my hair was naturally red! I LOVE red hair.....the redder the better!

But, mine is a deep boring brown. Thankfully, I can get the red that I love from a bottle.....and since I baby my hair otherwise, the chem color doesn't seem to be causing too much damage.

naturechild
September 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I have a lot of red tones in my hair, My brother and sister are red heads but I didn't get so lucky. Is their a way to get more red in my hair with out henna or a box dye? something like the beets idea?

CopperHead
September 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I've had to switch from the brunette thread to this one. I am using henna again and am back to a redhead. I love it!:)

soprano
September 26th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Another henna-red here. My natural color had reddish tones, and I think that the red suits my complexion much better than my natural blonde did.

I've been outside lots this summer, and I'm getting fabulous highlights.

HairyCarrie
September 26th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I think I belong in this club! I colored my hair for years with auburn. When I was younger I did blonde, then realized reds look better with my hazel eyes and medium skin tones.

I stopped coloring it last year to let whatever my natural color (with grays) come out. As it turns out, the sun highlights my hair with red tones, so I probably didn't need to color all those years after all!

So now I have reddish on top, dark brown underneath and gray sideburns. It will be interesting to see the mish mash effect when I have the length to do updos. :laugh:

kittymomma
September 26th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Oh my goodness, KatKeRo...we sound like twins! My mom always said I had her hair, which is so dark as to be almost black, but with NO SHINE. Completely flat. No red.

Maybe that's why I've had hair every color of the rainbow?

I just henna'd my hair for the first time this week after laboriously reading this forum, and I'm SO pleased. I'd prefer a cooler red (I have rosacea, bummer, otherwise it's perfect) so I'll try adding to the henna next time...

ilovelonghair
September 29th, 2008, 02:22 AM
ilovelonghair - That looks close to what my color always oxidizes to. When I first henna, it's always brighter, but after it oxidizes it looks mostly brown, except for out in the sun. I'm a little nervous to try a stronger henna/cassia mix since I don't want my hair really red, but I doubt I'll ever get it to stay exactly the color I want it (more like the color in my avatar which was taken in the sun right after a strong gloss).

Same for me: I'm really scared my hair ends up cherry red! I have a clear idea of what I want, but I'm too chicken to try other henna recipes. I'm hoping to slowly getting there with careful applications of henna-cassia mixes.

Billie
September 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Here a natural redhead, always been red, still am. I've just uploaded some childhood pictures to see how bright it was.

I am afraid that it's not that bright anymore, but it's definitely still red. Well, jugde for yourself...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=163

Anje
September 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM
So I need to ask (the natural reds, at least). How many of you experience the phenomenon where all your hair changes color seasonally?

It was the darkening/dulling of the red in winter that got me to henna in the first place. Now that I haven't hennaed for quite a while, I normally can't see the line where the henna ends (though there's a big difference if I compare the tips of hair to the roots). Now that the season is getting later and I've spent less time outside, I'm noticing the line more. It's like my hair changes color with the seasons.

naturechild
September 29th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I just hennaed...sort of I think. I was going for a henna gloss but I got carried away. I used the (not always recommend) light mt. I need instant gratification sometimes and they don't sell real henna any wear up here. So I used the box added conditioner until it was like a thickish paste. I froze that for 24 hours. brought it out and thawed on the stove (gas stove with pilot) I added lime juice and applied. I bagged it and wrapped it for 1 hour.

I love it!!

I must say the real nice henna is MUCH better to work with and maybe I just got lucky with the color but I like it. Its a real soft strawberry. I am going to get some nice henna to have on hand for next time though.

What would you all say is the best henna gloss recipe?

I love my pretty :ppink hair!! LOL

hennabrain
September 29th, 2008, 10:14 AM
i'm a henna redhead, too. my hair was very pale blond when i was little, golden honey blond with light highlights when i was a teenager, and dark ash blond with some honey tones by age 30. the henna red looks awesome ... sometimes. mostly it looks too darn dark and brownish, though.

Boudicca
September 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
So I need to ask (the natural reds, at least). How many of you experience the phenomenon where all your hair changes color seasonally?

It was the darkening/dulling of the red in winter that got me to henna in the first place. Now that I haven't hennaed for quite a while, I normally can't see the line where the henna ends (though there's a big difference if I compare the tips of hair to the roots). Now that the season is getting later and I've spent less time outside, I'm noticing the line more. It's like my hair changes color with the seasons.

Yes, I'm a natural redhead and my hair changes with the seasons. Lighter in summer, darker in autumn and winter. It's really noticeable.

AnimaSola3o4
September 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I'm a natural redhead. I've considered henna just to brighten it up and intensify it, but really i don't want to get stuck having to do it all the time or have my hair end up darker in the end. I would try a gloss though.

Anywho, the colors I wear most are: black, grey, green, purple. I rarely wear blue, but if it's the right shade it does look good on me. Purple is great in almost any shade.

Bronwyn Grace
September 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Before I commited to growing long, healthy hair, I was obsessed with dying my hair. Brown, blonde, red, I've done it all. Naturally, my hair is a golden brown that turns ashy in the winter. Right now my hair is auburn where red dye has faded out, but in the sun it appears a golden strawberry light brownish. -pokes siggy and profile pic- It's weird, I know.

Anyway. I prefer having red hair, because I am so very pale 80&#37; of the time. Also, people really notice me when my hair is fiery. :)

ilovelonghair
September 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I've also had all hair colors possible (exept unatural colors) and red and black/very dark brown look the best on me. My own color is a dark blonde with red tones. I had my hair dark brown to black for 10 years and wanted something different, so that's when I started with the henna. Sometimes I miss my dark hair, but if I'd indigo it I can't go back to red, so I stick to red now :)

Speaking of which colors suit best, I have a very pale yellowish skin, but I can actually still wear any color I like, only yellows and weird colors like salmon don't suit me (and never did).

Auntbeast
September 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Let's see, I have very pale skin with freckles that makes my hair...well, depending on the light and the opinion of at least one person standing around me, red. Or blonde, or strawberry blonde, or brown, or auburn. I have literally had people standing around me, arguing over what color my hair is.

The damnedest thing, my daughter has the same noncommittal hair. You'd swear she was a blondebrunetteredhead.

I'm one of three people in the world that can wear bright, screamingly blinding yellows and look great. Although I prefer darker colors as a general rule, I am trying to broaden my color horizons.

unaspenser
September 30th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Anje, I've noticed the color changing phenomenon too. I started using henna to counteract the very blonde streaks I get in the summer. My winter color is muted, cooler, and closer to brown, and I definitely see a difference in color through the seasons.

I'm debating a henna gloss these days, especially after seeing this photo of my hair from Saturday... the light is cloudy outside light, which makes it look way less red than normal, but you can really see the light streaks on top.

Anyway, here's the photo. Any thoughts? Should I try a gloss? I love being natural, but I'm not that averse to a small change.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1112&pictureid=22149

Gothic Lolita
September 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM
unaspenser, I think your hair looks really fine! But if you'd like a change, the gloss would be a great option, because you would get deeper red tones and also lighter ones.

I'm a redhead myself (auburn/brown naturally, now intensified with really light henna glosses every 2 to 3 months), and I just tried a strong tea made of tried hibiscus flowers. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and rinsed my hair a couple of times with it.
It gave a nice warm reddish shine to the hair and if done regularly (every wash) it should last a little. But be sure to condition it's a it drying.

patissegrietje
October 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I'm a natural redhead, no extra's added, although my colour is starting to fade a bit... i'm probably 'greying' so maybe just maybe i'll go back to henna anytime soon...

burns_erin
October 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM

I am one of those who changes seasonally, but really on mine the only thing you notice growing out is the bands of grey.

patissegrietje
October 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
My hair tends to get lighter in summer and darkens again in autumn...

UP Lisa
April 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Anje, I've noticed the color changing phenomenon too. I started using henna to counteract the very blonde streaks I get in the summer. My winter color is muted, cooler, and closer to brown, and I definitely see a difference in color through the seasons.

I'm debating a henna gloss these days, especially after seeing this photo of my hair from Saturday... the light is cloudy outside light, which makes it look way less red than normal, but you can really see the light streaks on top.

Anyway, here's the photo. Any thoughts? Should I try a gloss? I love being natural, but I'm not that averse to a small change.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1112&pictureid=22149

Your hair is so gorgeous, I wouldn't worry about the color! I just can't imagine having as much hair as you do!

Maddy25
April 22nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Just wanted to say hello :) I've got red hair at the moment and doing henna next week :) I think red hair is just so gorgeous <3

VitaR86
April 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
I'm a new red head. I used a regular box hair dye.....three days later, I discovered this site as well as what henna is. Now I wish I had waited.

Aevra
April 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Totally natural red. No henna or dyes.
(It doesn't look it in my picture, poor lighting)

sophistiCat *
April 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
I love red hair so much! My sister has naturally red hair and doesn't like it, I have brunnette hair and hena it red! You can't win can you lol. I love the sunset shades henna creates in the sun :D

MonikaHa
April 22nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hello!
I returned to being a henna head after being a blondie for like 10 years. I love this color, and apparently everyone else does. I was at the mall yesterday only for an hour, but I had three people complement my hair color.
And one more at the grocery store today. No one EVER did that when I was a blonde haha!

UP Lisa
April 23rd, 2010, 05:41 AM
Hello!
I returned to being a henna head after being a blondie for like 10 years. I love this color, and apparently everyone else does. I was at the mall yesterday only for an hour, but I had three people complement my hair color.
And one more at the grocery store today. No one EVER did that when I was a blonde haha!

I'd say that you look great with either color!

MonikaHa
April 23rd, 2010, 05:48 AM
Thank you very much Up Lisa. Yes, blonde suits me, but after 10 years it got kind of old. :) Just HAD TO change it up a bit, plus I love henna.

UP Lisa
April 23rd, 2010, 06:13 AM
Thank you very much Up Lisa. Yes, blonde suits me, but after 10 years it got kind of old. :) Just HAD TO change it up a bit, plus I love henna.

I guess that's why I'm planning to go Red after all these years. I've always been a blonde, and never had any interest in changing that till recently. I must be going through a "midlife crisis" or something:confused:

MonikaHa
April 23rd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Like everyone says, before you henna do your reseach, it's very permanent blah, blah, blah... but I am sure you will love it!

UP Lisa
April 23rd, 2010, 07:04 AM
Actually, I'm not ready for the commitment to henna, and plan to use a semi-permanent chemical dye. Just hoping for minimal damage.

AriaDraconfly
April 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/AriaDragonfly/prettymore.jpg I'm a natural redhead, but it seems to be fading, I think it's because since I moved to Florida I spend a great deal of my time indoors and the sun is what coaxes the red complexities out, but it also coaxes the red in my skin out as well no matter how much sunscreen I put on ><. I'm considering trying beet juice or clove tea to try and get my color to stand out more. Anyone have any other suggestions? I hate that my hair is dulling!

Rapunzal2Be
April 23rd, 2010, 07:57 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/AriaDragonfly/prettymore.jpg I'm a natural redhead, but it seems to be fading, I think it's because since I moved to Florida I spend a great deal of my time indoors and the sun is what coaxes the red complexities out, but it also coaxes the red in my skin out as well no matter how much sunscreen I put on ><. I'm considering trying beet juice or clove tea to try and get my color to stand out more. Anyone have any other suggestions? I hate that my hair is dulling!

Since you are already a redhead, I say go for henna! Healthy, strong, shiny hair plus a boost to your natural color!

AriaDraconfly
April 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Too be honest I'm kind of scared of henna, most of the henna red I've seen ends up that weird... purple red color? Which I don't really like at all. I prefer the more vibrant reds. But I hardly know anything about henna (except for the henna tattoos, gotten my fair share of those!) so I could just be assuming and you know what that does! >.> Okay lame overused joke I know!

Rapunzal2Be
April 23rd, 2010, 08:37 AM
Too be honest I'm kind of scared of henna, most of the henna red I've seen ends up that weird... purple red color? Which I don't really like at all. I prefer the more vibrant reds. But I hardly know anything about henna (except for the henna tattoos, gotten my fair share of those!) so I could just be assuming and you know what that does! >.> Okay lame overused joke I know!

If you want to, check out http://www.hennaforhair.com/ because I believe you can achieve the color you are looking for with a mixture of henna and cassia and possibly by doing glosses instead of full applications. It may give you that boost you are looking for without going dark or burgundy. :D

AriaDraconfly
April 23rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Burgundy, yes that was the color name I was looking for! Thank you I will check it out!

princessp
April 23rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
I am a "natural" red henna head too! :D
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/sideview.jpg

AlleyKitten
April 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure if I belong here or in the "blonde" thread -- my hair is usually described as "strawberry blonde". When I was a kid, it was carrot-red in the winter and very blonde in the summer. I briefly dyed two long dark red streaks in the front of my hair, but not in years.

I tend to think of myself more as a redhead. For one thing, I'm pale pale pale, I freckle and then burn, can't tan to save my life. My arm and leg hair is blonde and invisible, but my underarm (and other) hair is sort of auburn.

I like my color a lot, I just wish I could tell what it is!

*Rose Red*
April 24th, 2010, 06:23 AM
@ princessp: This hair is beautiful (and all the others, too). I&#180;m really a fan of red curls, but I only got long straight red hair.

Rapunzal2Be
April 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I am a "natural" red henna head too! :D
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/sideview.jpg

Gorgeous!!

Milui Elenath
April 24th, 2010, 10:58 PM
My hair in its natural state is auburn. It's been that way all my adult life but strangely as I was growing my natural hair wasn't. It started off red as a baby then went blonde gradually darkening to mid brown with streaks of lighter browns and reds until about 16 when it started to return to an auburn colour.

Now its going grey and darkening I keep it bright with henna. I try to tell myself that going grey is wonderful as the henna will just be brighter. :D

Over the years I've tried commercial dyes which NEVER held, dye resistant hair. Also hibiscus rinses which are a bit burgundy. I was ecstatic to find Henna and the beautiful way it blends with my own hair colour. My sig pic below is before Henna and before LHC. My avatar is after Henna and LHC

I love seeing others shades of red hair. But I also love the other colours since LHC, I am even beginning to like other colours I previously didn't.

Rhiannon7
April 25th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Joining the club! I'm also a natural red/copper head that uses Henna to brighten and maintain the natural red/copper hair.

I am so happy to have found this thread. now i can share special comments and all those anecdotes about our hair color that we get from others. anyone got any?

I'll start: when i was in jr. high school (middle school.) i was always teased about how bright copper my hair was, students sometimes called me a witch ( you know that comment back in the middle ages about women with red hair being witches?) also have been asked how i can control my fiery temper, and yes i was called some names also. but always loved my hair color and I am proud to be in the unique 1% of people with natural red hair in the world.

VitaR86
April 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM
My recently colored red hair.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/Vita86/photos/DSC01434.jpg

Fiferstone
April 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hennahead here. I'm naturally a mousy brown. I was using LUSH caca marron, but switched this past year to Yemeni henna from HennaSooq. One of the reasons I chose Yemeni on HennaSooq's advice is that it does not tend to get that purple/burgundy cast that other henna can get. This is a recent picture showing the color (I have to take a few more). http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/Fiferstone/Hair%20Stuff/002.jpg

VitaR86
April 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
For a second there, I thought you were giving us the finger.

KBG
April 26th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Just here to admire all of the beautiful red hair!:blossom:

My cousins have bright red, auburn, and reddish-sandy hair & freckles. I've always loved that look. Many of my photo posts in the Dream Hair thread here are reds. :o Maybe next lifetime!:D

Fiferstone
April 26th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Wrong finger :)

Domino
April 26th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I'm in, I'm in!!

I'm also a "natural" henna head :p My hair was platinum blond as a toddler, then turned golden and then mousy brown. I'm paper white so I thought I should either be a blond or redhead...even though I also considered blue black (I sing symphonic metal \m/)

I've been hennaing for 2 years now and everyone thinks it's natural :cheese:

Here's a pic:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5297&pictureid=69279

UP Lisa
April 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I'm not sure if I belong here or in the "blonde" thread -- my hair is usually described as "strawberry blonde". When I was a kid, it was carrot-red in the winter and very blonde in the summer. I briefly dyed two long dark red streaks in the front of my hair, but not in years.

I tend to think of myself more as a redhead. For one thing, I'm pale pale pale, I freckle and then burn, can't tan to save my life. My arm and leg hair is blonde and invisible, but my underarm (and other) hair is sort of auburn.

I like my color a lot, I just wish I could tell what it is!

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous! You centainly look like a Redhead to me!

Milui Elenath
April 26th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Oh yes, Alley Kitten I think you belong here too. You can definitely see the red and red toned hair is like that, changeable and deceptive. Sometimes I get funny looks from people when my hair is up and I mention its red. Then I take it down and they usually react with "you're right! It is red."

Also here is a link some redheads might enjoy - I originally saw the link from LHC but I have no idea in what thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo46jknMFTc

EtherealOde
April 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I was born a redhead, though not a bright coppery red but sort of drabbed a bit with a light brown. With very fair skin, and green eyes, I should have stayed out of the sun more in my youth, as I always burned every time. Now my natural hair looks really drab, especially with all the grey in it to contrast. So I became a hennahead! I mix BAQ henna and cassia, 1 part henna to two parts cassia by weight, and after my initial whole head application I only do roots. The color has held up quite well over the past aprox 8 months with 2 henna/cassia glosses over my whole head to maintain the brightness in my length.

When I do my roots the color is a bit scary until it oxidizes, and then I love it! The color looks natural with my skin and eyes so I don't feel like I have a strange look. Colors that look good on me are creams, purples, greens, and certain blues. Black and grey work well too. I have worn pink and it looks ok, but it isn't a color I am fond of in general, so my pink clothes are limited to 2 shirts, lol. But pinks DO look good in makeup, so I wear pinks, pluns, and cream colors. I don't have frecklesin my face though I do have some very tiny freckles on my arms (lots of them!) like someone took a pepper mill and ground out the freckles.

lundmir
April 26th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I'm as naturally away from being a redhead! Naturally, although I'm quite pale, I hav got dark brown eyes and bluish black hair. That doesn't stop me from chemically lightening and then hennaing my hair, plus I enhance it with deposit only red/pink dyes.

rach
April 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4505495539_983b483175.jpg
Hennaed red at full satiation level.

Don't get me started on the variations in light :p

Druida
April 26th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Natural redhead here, checking in! There's a picture of my hair in my avatar. :)

tokidokichi
April 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I'm a natural strawberry blonde ^__^
here is a pic from 2004, the last time my hair was all virgin (also the longest my hair has been in 6 years without extensions)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5358&pictureid=70151

I've been almost every color out there, but I always go back to red =]

nyia
April 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I'd like to join all of you red-heads!

My hair has darkened as I've aged, but as a kid it was somewhere between carrot and Irish Setter. I have the very fair skin to go with it, and burn easily, even in my scalp. My genetic background is Celtic and Italian, which would seem to be opposites when it comes to skin and hair tones, but I've found that lots of Northern Italians have red or reddish hair. However, my eyebrows are dark, and my eyes are a lightish kind of brown - about the color of cider vinegar. There's a hair picture in my album, if you're interested.

I hated my red hair when I was growing up, probably due to a lot of teasing and tormenting by class-mates. Sometimes, in the winter, the boys would warm their hands over my head! I tried dying to other colors, with some outrageous results. When I tried going blonde, I got orange hair with greenish streaks. I tried going to black, but, in addition to making me look rather like my skin had been drained of all blood, the dye didn't take well, leaving black streaks in a dark-dark-dark red undertone. I've tried other colors in between, with mixed results, often including greenish or brassy streaks. For some reason, red hair doesn't take well to dye, unless it's already close in color.

So, now my hair is a dark auburn with silver running through it. I admit to using a dye that's very close to my current natural color to even it out, although the silver doesn't take the dye very well, so it looks dark red with red-red streaks. It also brightens the overall color, so I'm pretty happy with it. I apply the dye to the roots, and then after ten minutes or so, do the rest of my hair (knee length). and leave that in for another ten minutes. This usually takes two to three boxes of dye.

One of the other things I've noticed, when talking to other red-heads, is that red hair tends to be a bit more tangly. Have any of you noticed this?

truepeacenik
April 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Natural Born Redhead here, complete with green eyes.
and I have the skin cancer to prove it, so sisters of melancortin-1, wear that sunscreen!

UP Lisa
May 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
My hair is now a gorgeous Red! I colored it Saturday night after much research. Now I'm just afraid the color will come out when I wash it!

growing2shine
May 3rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
I don't fit in anywhere. Well i'm sort of a redhead. My hair is sort of dark blond with a red shine. Sometimes it looks like its light brown or dark blonde, and sometimes it looks very red. It depends a lot on the light.

lundmir
May 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
My hair is now a gorgeous Red! I colored it Saturday night after much research. Now I'm just afraid the color will come out when I wash it!

I'd definitely would like to see that! You can try stretching washes and dry shampoo. I just retouched mine with a deposit only wonderful ruby red.

UP Lisa
May 4th, 2010, 06:40 AM
My natural color:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/lmreddin/Hair/08bystones.jpg

and my new color:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/lmreddin/Hair/Img_0676.jpg

Oskimosa
May 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM
!! You did it huh!

UP Lisa, it does look wonderful. Like titian red. I hope you're happy with it :)

UP Lisa
May 4th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yes, I really do like it. I don't know if it looks like a very natural Red, but it is a beautiful color.

princessp
May 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
UP Lisa, I love your new color it looks fantastic!

CaityBear
May 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I am a natural blonde, but I henna my hair to red! :) And I love it. I actually don't find it much work so I don't mind. Also my hair feels great afterwards.

I'm looking forward to hennaing my hair on Sunday...or Saturday for grad on next Friday. :)

ibleedlipstick
May 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I dye my hair red. I have the most boring brown that is so dark I look corpselike in the winter, and goes to a grayish-brownish-muddy water brown in the summer. I'm really super pale, and I can't tan- at all, even when I try. I go fried red, and then back to death white. I can't buy drugstore foundation- I'm paler than even the translucent shades :(

The red dye doesn't seem to damage my hair much, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. I have given up all heat styling, and I try to make sure that my hair is oiled 3x a week, and I do the ends daily.

Igor
May 5th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Sorta red hair. Strawberry blonde, dark reddish blonde, titian-ish kind of colour depending on the light

The funny thing is that it’s only the last 3 years or so I realised my hair had any red in it. Weird, huh? I always thought I was a dark blonde. Maybe it’s because no one in my family has even a hint of red

Of course it makes a lot more sense that I’m redhead because I’m pale and have a tendency to get freckles :wink:

Couple of pictures in different lights (and one with wet hair)

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/1st%20october%202009A.jpg

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/29th%20april%202009-3.jpg

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/5%20years%203.JPG

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/3rd%20february%202010D.jpg

moonlight
May 5th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm a wavy henna-head that goes BRIGHT copper around my face because that's where all the grey is. (the rest of it is a pretty bright auburn, too) People comment on the color all the time, I think they mostly like it. I do...I have pale-ish grey eyes and it makes an interesting combination, I think. I also have warm, light, yellowish toned skin that you wouldn't think would go with red hair, but it does!

I use BAQ and Cassia half and half. I've been doing that for several years and have never gotten anything even close to burgundy. It's always bri-yi-yight!

kittylover
May 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I have been hennaing my hair for a few years. My natural colour is medium brown. I liked it for the time being but I it has gotten so dark over the years like almost purple. So I have been trying to lighten it with bleach to a more orange red which suits me much better.

Oskimosa
May 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
:thud: Igor, wow!

unaspenser
May 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks, UPLisa! I <3 my hair.

Igor, your hair has gotten SO long! I guess this is what happens when I go MIA for a while. I am in awe of your ends... they are so thick! What is your trimming schedule like?

/hijack

Also, I definitely see the red there.

ETA: here's a recent pic of my hair, no color added, in sunlight:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/camelliabramble/Long&#37;20Hair%20Community/27224_706724541306_11512063_4028786.jpg

UP Lisa
May 5th, 2010, 01:38 PM
UP Lisa, I love your new color it looks fantastic!

Thank you so much!

Igor, your hair is beautiful!

walterSCAN
May 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
My hair is only about 1/4 red right now... The majority of the length is super-saturated with semi-perm darkdark brown (read: just a half of a half of a shade above black), and I've been hennaing over it. I :crush: henna!

My goal is to get the darkest burgundy red I can with the henna over time. Right now, the henna kinda blends down into the dark parts, which actually looks pretty cool...

Igor
May 6th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Thank you Oskimosa, Unaspenser and UP Lisa! :inlove:

I’m maintaining the length for now (My hair has simply outgrown my arms which make it difficult to handle for me. Funnily enough, I totally didn’t see that one coming) and I made a trimming schedule for 2010 following the Morocco method strength dates. I don’t really believe that cutting one day as opposed to another will affect my hair but who knows, I’m open to the idea that I’m wrong and if nothing else, it’s a nice reminder to trim those ends
I’m going to cut on equinox dates and S&D on the other dates listed

February: 25th, 26th (Strengthen)
March: 19th, 20th (Beautifying) Spring Equinox
April: 5th, 6th, 7th (Strengthen)
May: 3rd, 4th, 5th (Strengthen)
June: 21st, 22nd, 23rd (Strengthen) Summer Solstice
July: 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th (Thicken)
August: 15th, 16th, 17th (Strengthen)
September: 21st, 22nd, 23rd (Beautifying) Fall Equinox
October: 23rd, 24th, 25th (Strengthen)
November: 10th, 11th (Strengthen)
December: 21st, 22nd, 23rd (Thicken) Winter Solstice

I’ll probably let it grow longer some day, but for now I’m really happy with the length. I can do a lot of cool up dos with it and it’s still easy to manage for me. I’ll just let the ends thicken up a bit more and then see what happens

Side by side comparison from my last trim (Bandanna indicates knee length)
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/6th%20april%202010.jpg http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/7th%20april%202010.jpg

JenniferNoel
August 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM
After all these years I finally realized I do have some noticeable red tint to my natural hair color. I have enough roots to be able to see it now.
After my indigo faded I decided to go ahead and put some red back in with henna but avoided the roots.
I look the absolute best with red (even slightly) hair.
So that's to say I'm joining the thread.

estherbeth
August 29th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Haven't got a hair photo I'm happy enough with to post right now, but I'm a not-quite-carroty-orange natural redhead. I got a lot of 'redheads can't wear pink!' :poop: when I was a kid, but I've always loved being a redhead. We're pretty darn unique - less than 4% of the population! :heartbeat

redheadlynn
September 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM

I henna my hair, but haven't been able to get that right color yet. I want it more bright but I'm afraid if I henna too much I will get cherry toned hair.
My own hair color is some sort of dark blonde with a faint copper tint. But because I still have old chemical hairdye in my lenghts so my hair is two toned now. I'm experimenting to find a way to get the right color in those lenghts.
I noticed that henna makes my virgin hair much darker and in artificial light it often looks brown. No idea how to change that. or maybe it's normal.

Have you ever tried turmeric to add more yellow into the mix? I do better when the henna is more yellow-based (as opposed to a cherry/burgundy), so I always add tons of turmeric.

Naturally, my hair is dark blond and DRAB. I colored it at 14 and haven't seen natural since! I love my hair red and feel thinner and happier with it red. It suits my irish-germanish blood.

wvgemini
September 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Another redhead here. My hair is naturally a medium/dark auburn, but I do enhance the red tones with henna :) I will be doing another application on Saturday, so I'm going to update length and color pics then.

squiggyflop
September 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
well since i havent updated my posts here in 2 years,
im starting to think the reason i never get any bad comments on my hair (when others with my length do) is because of the color.. the world is a kind place to redheads

Danaus plexippu
September 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Red hairs have always showed up randomly on my body...weird...bam a red arm hair, hey, where did that one red highlight on the left side come from? And..reddish "other" hair.:eyebrows:

My dad has brown hair but a bright red beard. Otherwise, I'm naturally light golden brown that bleaches out spun gold in the sun. I have cool skin tone with lots of blue undertones, gold freckles and green eyes with gold and brown flecks. I tried chemical reds, but they faded so fast. Recently tried henna and I am in love. It has given me that lovely auburn with coppery highlights that I've always wanted.

Colors are difficult because of my cool skin tones with warm freckles, hair, eyes. Green is good, dark browns and blues. Yellow makes me look like zombie death and orange isn't much better, although a russet orange I can pull off.

Anyone else have cool skin with warm accents? How do you cope?

UP Lisa
September 3rd, 2010, 06:18 AM
I have Cool skin and hair, with Warm hazel (mostly green) eyes. I just wear cool colors. Orange clashes with my skin. I can wear black since I am not at all pale.

JenniferNoel
September 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Heh, I'm the paler, ever so slightly freckly kind. The things that clash the most are pinks, browns, reds, and blues. I can not wear blue. I can have dyed blue hair if none of my tawny-reddish natural hair is showing, but when my hair is red, just, no.

Danaus plexippu, I too have that happen once in a while. More so on my legs than my arms/upper body for some weird reason. It's like the Italian part of me likes to show on my arms but the Irish takes over everything else. :p

akuamoonmaui
September 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
My hair is naturally strawberry blond. When I was a kid it was much brighter, as I've gotten older it turned a brownish-amber. I have always had freckles, although they've mostly faded. I have brown eyes that have "orange" in them. My ex used to say my eyes matched my hair. I guess I see it in the sun.

It's interesting how varied the reds are in this post. I look best in blues and greens. Pinks, oranges and yellows look horrid!

Henna red doesn't look right with my coloring, mostly I lighten it,to take away the brown-er tones and brighten up the red.

Findabhair
April 8th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Lets resurrect this thread!

I have natural red hair, it's more of an auburn with streaks of copper, it was true red when I was little though.... Unfortunately I tan, and have no freckles though. I want to henna it this summer and make it really copper.

Lucky_Lucy
April 8th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I was wondering if this thread actually existed! XD

My natural hair colour is a dark brown/looks black. And I don't hate it...completely. I have always had a love for red hair, I've had red hair for about a year or so, and now that my hair isn't red anymore, I miss it so much, I just don't feel like myself in a way :( So I'm thinking on bringing out the henna, lightening my hair, hennaing and enjoying my new red hair.

Violet Raine
April 8th, 2014, 05:40 PM
My hair was more red as a child-- since then it's faded to this sort of strange auburn-on-ends and ashy-at-roots kind of deal. I'm going to henna it soon, though. 'Cause I miss my red.

Agnes Eliza
December 5th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Reviving this thread....

I have been coloring my hair since I was sixteen, so I don't even really remember very well what my natural color looks like! I was blonde as a child but grew into a sort of dark auburn that was ashy in winter and warmer in summer. I have hazel green eyes, but rather cool-toned skin, which means I'm not a true Autumn, but a "cool" Autumn in that I have to find cool versions of Autumn colors to wear. The colors that look best on me are all the burgundies and deep cool reds, olive and forest green, and certain purples. Blue and yellow look terrible on me, as does pink and any bright or pastel colors. I henna my hair and top it off with Manic Panic Vampire Red to get a cherry-burgundy color that screams red in the sun! Any time I've been complimented on my looks--not my hair, but my looks--was when I had this cherry-burgundy hair color. I love love love red hair in all its shades!

nyia
December 5th, 2014, 03:05 PM
It's funny how things change. When I was a kid, my hair was a sort of cross between a carrot and an Irish setter. During high school, I hated the color so much, I tried to dye it often, with sometimes hilarious results. Using black dye left my hair striped purple and black. Trying to go blonde left me with green and orange streaks. dulling the red down to brown left it brassy.

As an adult, I still try to tone it down in the summer, when it tries to blaze out, but I use a color only a shade or two off from the natural color, and lately, to cover some of the silver. which is just as stubborn about taking dye as the red is.But, I don't hate the color nearly as much as I used to.

I'm not the typical type of redhead, I have light brown eyes and dark brows and lashes. But, I grew up in a snowy climate, and the boys used to tease me unmercifully. Among other things, there'd warm their hands over my hair in the cold, pull my braids and act like their hands were burned.. Thinking back, it's no wonder I hated my hair color!

lady mechanic
December 5th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Yay other gingers!!! I'm proud to be a Redhead. sadly it's not my natural color I'm a henna head but oh do I wish I was! I've always been envious of natural read hair and the beautiful frecklfreckles fair skin and light eyes that come with it. It's nice to see so many other redheads natural and otherwise

sycamoreboutiqu
December 6th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Henna / dye combo here to get my auburn shade, I have been doing it for over 25 years.

I really wish my grey would hurry up and take over then I could switch to just henna (need to use box color to keep the dull brown roots
at bay until then). I would love to just use Henna/Cassia to get a lovely strawberry blonde effect on the grey hair.

Nebulae
December 7th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Another hennahead here! I'd describe my color as auburn with copper highlights. Natural color (judging from roots and memory) is dark blonde/light brown.
Interesting to read about what colors you look good in.. I prefer black, moss/military green, teal/dark turquoise, navy/dark blue. If it's the right tone, I can wear light beige and ivory. I know it when I see it, but can't describe it. :p I look horrible in pastels.. it's like I disappear :shudder: I'm very pale and think I'm neutral in skin tone. Don't really tan at all in the sun, but I like being pale so that's good!
Interesting that so many listed purple as a good color.. might need to try some purple things in the future :hmm:

CassandraMarie
December 8th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Another natural redhead, for better or worse. Even before I had hair and hair bows were stuck on with loops of scotch tape, I'm told (and photos confirm) my head glowed red. Not even strawberry blond. Bright bright bright red. Given that I'm really more of a quiet, sit in the corner and read, keep to my self and don't stand out sort of person, it's certainly not what I would have chosen, but so it is. And given that my father is in his 50s and only barely beginning to see gray strands, I suspect it's here to stay a good deal longer. I pray my children get red undertones rather than circus-clown bright hair that clashes with anything the rest of the world would consider a color, but if not, at least I'll know how to dress them! I've had a lifetime to hone my skills.

To answer the earlier poster's question on colors, I've found that browns tending toward the cool tones, and just about any color that could coordinate with brown, works well on me. Brown is my black, in fact. As far as greens, it can be wonderful, or an absolute train wreck, but olive greens, deep forest greens, soft sage greens, and greens tending more toward blue than yellow work for me. Blue in general is amazing without fail, as is teal, and lighter robin's egg type shades. Purples can work well, but I find the best ones to be fig/wine shades, dark almost blue purples, and my favorite, dusty muted purples and lavenders. Dusty or greyed pinks, or else really pale cherry blossom pinks tend to look nice, but not bubblegum and barbie shades. Other colors that work well are rust type oranges with a slight hint of pink (again, less yellow is better) deeper garnet reds (more on the berry/wine side than the fiery shades). Cream rather than stark white, and this one particular shade of yellow that is not lemony, but not so far to qualify as mustard either. I'd almost say dandelion, but even that is a hint too lemony. All other shades of yellow are out.

In general, the "pure" saturated color NEVER works (except maybe blue) but if it looks like it could have come from an antique store, or you've added some gray or brown, and maybe mixed it with another color to find one that even the deluxe Crayola box couldn't identify for you, you might have a winner. Unless it includes yellow, which pretty much dooms it to failure. The rule of thumb is half a shade off, and it's going to look horrendous, but if you get it right, it's amazing. Hence the super complicated descriptions! I hope that helped someone. I am reminded that it's a wonder that I manage to get dressed and leave the house.

diggem
January 8th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I wonder if anyone else has noticed. Just about every ad on TV these days has at least one redhead, and quite often it is the main person in the ad. I've seen both redheaded men and women. Has anyone else noticed?

diggem

nyia
January 8th, 2015, 04:17 PM
It's not just ads, it's the entire entertainment industry. If there's no redhead cast, they give someone a dye job, or some kind of "alternative" red color.

Eastbound&Down
January 11th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I'm back to my beloved red after a couple years of focusing on my hairs health and going from a pixie to APL where I am now. I'm so glad to be back! I wish I was a natural red but I was handed boring medium ash brown. Any tips for maintaining color with natural means?

starlamelissa
January 11th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Fake redhead here with 2 naturally redheaded kids. I tell people I wished for it hard enough while pregnant....!

Eastbound&Down
January 11th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Fake redhead here with 2 naturally redheaded kids. I tell people I wished for it hard enough while pregnant....!

Wow how amazing is that?! My son haso white blonde hair like I did as a kid, I hope it stays and doesn't turn like mine did.

Olympias7
January 11th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Natural red head here! I find that the best colors to wear are black, grey, neutrals (but some whites and creams can really wash out my pale skin), sage green, and dark blue. Of course, these colors are also easy to match, so that may also inform my preferences.. ;)

maborosi
January 11th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Copper henna-head here. I have neutral/warm toned, very fair skin and no freckles, with hazel eyes. Everyone assumes my henna dyejob is my natural color.

I like greens, blues, gray, black, and off-white. (Normal white looks really weird on me) I like bright colors a lot.

tokugawa.miyako
January 11th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Not sure how I didn't notice this thread before!

I fall into the "fake redhead" category. Well, sort of. My natural hair color looks brunette under most circumstances, but it has natural red highlights that make it look orangey red under bright light. A few years ago, I started dying my hair more of a darker, more burgundy red. I can't imagine it any other way now.

Eastbound&Down
January 12th, 2015, 10:18 AM
What shampoo(s)/conditioner(s) do you all use? Anything special?

tokugawa.miyako
January 12th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Most of the time, I just use Organix argon oil shampoo and conditioner. I like what it does for my hair, but it doesn't do anything to protect my color. In the past, I've used Garnier Fructis color shield shampoo and mixed semi-perm dye in with my conditioner to help brighten up the color. Those help preserve the color a little. That, and washing in brain-freeze cold water. shudder:

At the end of the day though, I tend to stick to semi-permanent dye so it's going to wash out eventually. I've been mostly focusing on length and health rather than color. :)

starlamelissa
January 12th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I use plain ol' shampoo and conditioner, and slide serum from the ears to the ends (which is quite aways!) My kids use baby shampoo, and a bit of detangler to fight winter static.

Loribelle
January 12th, 2015, 11:35 AM
another Hennahead here. I am naturally a really mousy ash blonde color. My hair was always a pretty blonde until somewhere in my thirties when it started getting darker. No mousy color here..I love the color of my hair, now

Red'N'Curly
January 12th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Natural redhead here! But I'm really looking at henna for strength, shine. Have any other natural redheads used henna? I'm worried it might come out strange if I start off red ;)

maborosi
January 13th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Natural redhead here! But I'm really looking at henna for strength, shine. Have any other natural redheads used henna? I'm worried it might come out strange if I start off red ;)

I think it's pretty popular among a lot of natural redheads to enhance the color (and give immense shine and strength) but there are mixed results. Some people say that henna doesn't take to their naturally red hair, others say otherwise. I know a lot of natural redheads have resistant hair that doesn't take color well, but everyone's different!

Definitely strand test, though-- not just for the color factor, but some people say it stretches out their curls and some find henna to be drying.

You might be interested in a henna gloss- less of the coloring factor, and more of the shine and conditioning benefits. The conditioner really helps add moisture to the whole process, but also makes it a billion times easier to wash out, too! (Straight henna mud is pretty much one of the most annoying things to wash out ever- and I only do roots applications). Take some henna mud after it dye releases, mix with equal part conditioner (any cheap cone-free one usually works well in my experience) and then apply, let it sit under cling wrap for at least 1 hour (the longer you leave henna on, the more benefits, coloring and otherwise, you'll get). You can also pre-oil with coconut oil and it won't affect the dye uptake at all.

Hope that helps!

PS- I love hennasooq (http://www.hennasooq.com/) for the BAQ henna, but I've been head-over-heels in love with Nightblooming's herbal henna mixes as of late. They smell better, are less drying, and she has a lot of really nice mixes for different shades of red. She has a strawberry blonde one that I loved (https://www.etsy.com/listing/100180026/strawberry-blonde-rusalki-herbal-hair?ref=shop_home_active_12)- it imparts really subtle gold-red tones in the hair because the henna ratio is lower.

Alex Lou
January 14th, 2015, 04:19 AM
I'm a natural redhead but I'm dying it now. I never liked having red hair but it became part of my identity. So when it darkened to a true auburn as I got older, I kind of freaked out. Haven't really figured out how to deal with that yet. I wish I could just accept the brunettish hair that I wished I could have as a kid when my hair was orange. This summer I bleached it a bit with some ombre dye and It came out yellowy which I thought looked terrible. So I bought a box dye and dyed it a very similar to my natural color, but it's still lighter and redder, and pinkish instead of sunset orangy. And I do like the dyed color, so I'm planning to keep it up for now. I just hate explaining to people who ask my natural color about how my hair is red, but not as red as it was and it's boxed dye now, kind of...

Well that's a rant. Why does hair color matter so much to me? How can I let it define me? Ridiculous.

But also I think there are certain things only natural redheads understand. Like needing to buy alternative make-up. Or when I went to a doctor and asked to dermatologist to check my moles because I have a lot of moles and "I don't know if you can tell anymore, but I'm a redhead", I told her. She said, "The sun will do that." No.. there is a genetic difference. I didn't argue with her, I just switched doctors.

Alex Lou
January 14th, 2015, 04:46 AM
Another natural redhead, for better or worse. Even before I had hair and hair bows were stuck on with loops of scotch tape, I'm told (and photos confirm) my head glowed red. Not even strawberry blond. Bright bright bright red. Given that I'm really more of a quiet, sit in the corner and read, keep to my self and don't stand out sort of person, it's certainly not what I would have chosen, but so it is. And given that my father is in his 50s and only barely beginning to see gray strands, I suspect it's here to stay a good deal longer. I pray my children get red undertones rather than circus-clown bright hair that clashes with anything the rest of the world would consider a color, but if not, at least I'll know how to dress them! I've had a lifetime to hone my skills.

To answer the earlier poster's question on colors, I've found that browns tending toward the cool tones, and just about any color that could coordinate with brown, works well on me. Brown is my black, in fact. As far as greens, it can be wonderful, or an absolute train wreck, but olive greens, deep forest greens, soft sage greens, and greens tending more toward blue than yellow work for me. Blue in general is amazing without fail, as is teal, and lighter robin's egg type shades. Purples can work well, but I find the best ones to be fig/wine shades, dark almost blue purples, and my favorite, dusty muted purples and lavenders. Dusty or greyed pinks, or else really pale cherry blossom pinks tend to look nice, but not bubblegum and barbie shades. Other colors that work well are rust type oranges with a slight hint of pink (again, less yellow is better) deeper garnet reds (more on the berry/wine side than the fiery shades). Cream rather than stark white, and this one particular shade of yellow that is not lemony, but not so far to qualify as mustard either. I'd almost say dandelion, but even that is a hint too lemony. All other shades of yellow are out.

In general, the "pure" saturated color NEVER works (except maybe blue) but if it looks like it could have come from an antique store, or you've added some gray or brown, and maybe mixed it with another color to find one that even the deluxe Crayola box couldn't identify for you, you might have a winner. Unless it includes yellow, which pretty much dooms it to failure. The rule of thumb is half a shade off, and it's going to look horrendous, but if you get it right, it's amazing. Hence the super complicated descriptions! I hope that helped someone. I am reminded that it's a wonder that I manage to get dressed and leave the house.

This is spot-on. My mom has red hair too and was more conservative about her color choices than I am. I grew up thinking I couldn't wear any bright colors, but it turns out I can. Teal is absolutely the best color and salmony pink. Pink with any purple in it is out; pinks must be on the orange side. Anything between blue and green is great. Dark muted purple is my black. Yellow or any brown with yellow in it like camel is the worst. Although I've seen redheads wear yellow and make it look good. Maybe because I never find clothes in that exact color. I agree that there is only that one yellow shade that would work; I can picture it! All the colors I look good in are in-between colors or muted colors. Not the "standard" colors that clothes usually are sold in. I'm not sure if this color advice applies to those with henna. I think that the colors I can wear are determined not just by hair color but by my pinky-ruddy-pale freckled skin as well. So someone with red hennaed hair but a tanner face can get away with more colors, I think.

diggem
January 15th, 2015, 03:23 PM
This is spot-on. My mom has red hair too and was more conservative about her color choices than I am. I grew up thinking I couldn't wear any bright colors, but it turns out I can. Teal is absolutely the best color and salmony pink. Pink with any purple in it is out; pinks must be on the orange side. Anything between blue and green is great. Dark muted purple is my black. Yellow or any brown with yellow in it like camel is the worst. Although I've seen redheads wear yellow and make it look good. Maybe because I never find clothes in that exact color. I agree that there is only that one yellow shade that would work; I can picture it! All the colors I look good in are in-between colors or muted colors. Not the "standard" colors that clothes usually are sold in. I'm not sure if this color advice applies to those with henna. I think that the colors I can wear are determined not just by hair color but by my pinky-ruddy-pale freckled skin as well. So someone with red hennaed hair but a tanner face can get away with more colors, I think.

BTW: I think a royal blue looks absolutely breathtaking on a redhead.

diggem

DreamSheep
January 16th, 2015, 03:00 AM

I'm not a red head, but I first heard of henna from a girl who was a red head and used henna to enhance it, it looked incredible.
(sadly she has now bleached it out).

So I'd say, go for it! :)

Alex Lou
January 20th, 2015, 08:14 AM
I'm curious about this as well. I'd like to add permanent true red/pink tones I think because I dislike the yellowy-orange tones in my hair. I would hate it if I used henna and it added more yellow/orange-yellow. What is the true hue of henna?

maborosi
January 20th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I'm curious about this as well. I'd like to add permanent true red/pink tones I think because I dislike the yellowy-orange tones in my hair. I would hate it if I used henna and it added more yellow/orange-yellow. What is the true hue of henna?

Henna is usually going to give orangey tones, especially on lighter hair. I've done straight, 100% henna applications and my hair turns very orange-red.
Many applications of a high lawsone content henna will give more of a burgundy color.

You might consider mixing in manic panic for a more red result. Some people also add in herbs like hibiscus to help enhance the red tones of henna, but herbal dyeing in general can be really finicky and somewhat unpredictable. Definitely strand test

diggem
January 20th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Hi All Red Heads (actually anyone with natural red hair or highlights),

This question has probably been beaten to death numerous times, but I cannot seem to find it when I did a search. So here it goes,

I have always correlated red hair and freckles. I know many people who have freckles, but not red hair. Though, in the few cases where I know something of the family history, there were ancestors that were red heads. I have not known any red heads without freckles. So the question becomes, is there a real relationship between freckles and red hair, or is it more an issues of skin type for freckles and red heads tend to have very light skin, prone to freckling?

Thanks for indulging me.

diggem

truepeacenik
January 20th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I'm follicle red, Caucasian extraction. So, pale.
I have freckles, but no raised moles.
Sun exposure increases the appearance of the freckles ( I've always joked that one day they will merge and I'll be tanned).

What I observe on follicle Reds is that no matter their ethnicity, they have at least a few spots. Maybe not on their face, but somewhere.

As for colors of clothing, I fall between fall and winter, colorwise. Basically earth tones plus some jewel tones like sapphire and emerald.
Not brights, no limes. Pastels make me look sickly.
Blacks after they faded from a few washes and charcoals.
I wear various shades of brown, but I like darker ones and keep khaki far away.

quendelyn
January 20th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I'm a natral rehead whose ends and top layers lighten in the summer. Have been hennaing them for years to match the under layes. I love being a redhead, though hate sunburns. I ear sunblock year round. My eyes are green. I can wear most any color, though I tend to favor black, grey, all greens and purples. Light blue a is awful on me because my skin picks up on it.

diggem
January 20th, 2015, 11:51 AM
I'm a natral rehead whose ends and top layers lighten in the summer. Have been hennaing them for years to match the under layes. I love being a redhead, though hate sunburns. I ear sunblock year round. My eyes are green. I can wear most any color, though I tend to favor black, grey, all greens and purples. Light blue a is awful on me because my skin picks up on it.

Hi Quendelyn,

I'd think you'd look good in Royal Blue (something to offset your light color). Also, I bet yellow makes you look jaundice (it does me). Reds and pinks are my best colors, but then again I am a blonde. My twin daughters were born with red hair that eventually grew out to be very blonde.

Diggem

Eastbound&Down
January 20th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I did an experiment with koolaid as hair dye and it worked! I used 4 packets of orange and 1 packet of cherry unsweetened kool-aid mixed with conditioner and coconut oil. I let it sit for 2 hours and washed it out. My roots are a lovely copper orange and the length is much brighter :) I'm shocked I didn't think it would actually work but I'm excited that it does, even if it doesn't last very long. It's cheap and doesn't do any damage so I can do touch ups weekly if I want to :)

Alex Lou
January 20th, 2015, 10:36 PM
There is 1 gene that is responsible for most red hair and freckles. Basically, if you have 2 copies of the gene, you have red hair. If you have 1 copy, you probably get freckles and can have children with red hair. And that's oversimplified, and therefore wrong, but here you go:

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask195

Alex Lou
January 20th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Well I found this: http://gingerparrot.co.uk/2014/04/10-step-guide-to-using-henna-to-dye-your-hair-red-or-boost-your-natural-ginger-hair/

And yeah, looks like henna's not for me. It's not unusual for me to admire similar colors on other people. But I have no desire to have screaming orange hair again. I really like the color I get from the boxed dye I've started using but I know it's frying my hair: https://www.google.com/search?q=9rb&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS578US578&espv=2&biw=764&bih=843&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nj2_VJCKJ8jcoATc84LgCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw#tbm=isch&q=8rb&imgdii=_

I like the idea of manic panic but I suspect it would not last very long and I'm too lazy to be applying it all the time. My hair tends to be dye-resistant. Furthermore, I'm doubtful I'd be able to achieve that mild titian color.

diggem
January 21st, 2015, 01:33 PM
There is 1 gene that is responsible for most red hair and freckles. Basically, if you have 2 copies of the gene, you have red hair. If you have 1 copy, you probably get freckles and can have children with red hair. And that's oversimplified, and therefore wrong, but here you go:

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask195

Perfect, Alex. Thanks.

diggem

gingeralex
March 5th, 2015, 01:32 AM
Hi!
Natural ginger here :)
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using henna on light red hair and not getting any colour change? I really like the sound of the shiny, thick effect, but I really don't want to change my colour, since it'd take so long to grow out.

Alex Lou
March 5th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Hi!
Natural ginger here :)
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using henna on light red hair and not getting any colour change? I really like the sound of the shiny, thick effect, but I really don't want to change my colour, since it'd take so long to grow out.
My understanding is that it will change your color. You can find formulas that are a very subtle color change, but with multiple applications over time the color will add up. It should make your hair redder and gradually darker since it deposits color. I wouldn't touch the stuff if you want to keep the exact color you have. Henna never comes out. Check out the link on my previous post. You can see the before and after of a natural redhead who used henna.

Eastbound&Down
March 6th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Redoing my color tonight! I'm excited. I let it fade pretty much back to brown so it's time to get back on track.

Eastbound&Down
March 7th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Ahhh back to red, it feels good :)

Alex Lou
March 9th, 2015, 01:25 AM
Redoing my color tonight! I'm excited. I let it fade pretty much back to brown so it's time to get back on track.

Ahhh back to red, it feels good :)
Awesome. Glad you're happy with it. What kind of dye did you use on it?

Eastbound&Down
March 9th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Colorsilk medium auburn. I know it's not the best health wise but my hair takes it very well and with my weekly (sometimes twice weekly) DTs I can't really see any damage, even with no trims for going on 14 months! Once I'm out of the military I want to give henna a shot, I think I would really enjoy to vibrancy :)

Alex Lou
March 10th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Colorsilk medium auburn. I know it's not the best health wise but my hair takes it very well and with my weekly (sometimes twice weekly) DTs I can't really see any damage, even with no trims for going on 14 months! Once I'm out of the military I want to give henna a shot, I think I would really enjoy to vibrancy :)
Oh cool. I've decided having the color I want is worth the damage, so I'm not one to judge. At the length I have now, I'd have splits anyway, but I have a ton more since I started with conventional dye.

Eastbound&Down
March 10th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Oh cool. I've decided having the color I want is worth the damage, so I'm not one to judge. At the length I have now, I'd have splits anyway, but I have a ton more since I started with conventional dye.

If you like oils, you can give my concoction a try!

1 tsp (or 1/2 tbsp if you have longer hair) of:
-coconut oil
-extra virgin olive oil
-I use this stuff called "Doo Grow", it's in the black hair care section, very affordable and it has tons of essential oils and other great oils and it smells fantastic! If not, use a different oil here :)
1 tbsp:
-VO5 Strawberries & Cream conditioner

I heat it up enough to melt the coconut oil then apply and leave on from 3 hours to overnight. I am notoriously bad at leaving it in for up to 24 hours out of pure laziness, but my hair has yet to complain!

Alex Lou
March 10th, 2015, 11:16 AM
If you like oils, you can give my concoction a try!

1 tsp (or 1/2 tbsp if you have longer hair) of:
-coconut oil
-extra virgin olive oil
-I use this stuff called "Doo Grow", it's in the black hair care section, very affordable and it has tons of essential oils and other great oils and it smells fantastic! If not, use a different oil here :)
1 tbsp:
-VO5 Strawberries & Cream conditioner

I heat it up enough to melt the coconut oil then apply and leave on from 3 hours to overnight. I am notoriously bad at leaving it in for up to 24 hours out of pure laziness, but my hair has yet to complain!
The Doo Grow sounds the most interesting. I'd be interested to know what's in it. I do a coconut oil treatment every now and then which I leave in over night. And I have a oil/cone mixture for my ends that seems to work better for me than just oiling. Damage is just something that happens when hair is long and you put harsh dyes on it. Probably the only thing I could do better is put coconut oil on it before applying the dye.

AmberLouise
March 10th, 2015, 12:11 PM
So I just gave in and dyed my hair red after spending two years growing out my natural color... I have to say even though part of me feels like I failed (because I gave in and dyed it) I love the color! My sister is a natural redhead with a beautiful face full of freckles... I got the pale skin that burns easily but missed out on the rest. Oddly enough though my redheaded sister tans and doesn't burn. My natural color is a medium golden blonde that turns a bright light yellow in the sun, often times people think my hair is just a bad bleach job because of how yellow it gets. I've actually had girls come up to me and recommend toners for my "brassy" hair. Considering that I'm not a huge fan of blonde hair to begin with all the negative attention never made me feel any better about it. So now it's a nice light copper color, I think it goes well with my complexion.

I seem to be able to wear all the same colors now that I did when I was blonde, which are pastels or rich jewel tones. The only colors I look bad in are bright primary colors, and I think I look the best in soft pinks and sage greens.

Here is my hair before dying (my natural color)
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/raingirlred/IMG_3165-002_zpsrtgeo1z7.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/raingirlred/media/IMG_3165-002_zpsrtgeo1z7.jpg.html)

After
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/raingirlred/IMG_3194-002_zpsivhp7sia.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/raingirlred/media/IMG_3194-002_zpsivhp7sia.jpg.html)

Eastbound&Down
March 10th, 2015, 12:45 PM
The Doo Grow sounds the most interesting. I'd be interested to know what's in it. I do a coconut oil treatment every now and then which I leave in over night. And I have a oil/cone mixture for my ends that seems to work better for me than just oiling. Damage is just something that happens when hair is long and you put harsh dyes on it. Probably the only thing I could do better is put coconut oil on it before applying the dye.

I posted about it when I first found it, here's a full listing of ingredients:

Glycine Soja (soybean) oil, Methyl Soyate, Glycine Vulgare (wheat) Grem oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) oil, Limanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Extract, Melaeuca Alterifolia (tea tree) Leaf oil, Zea Mays (corn) oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ergocalciferol, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Lawsonia Intermis (Henna) Extract, Humulus Lupulus (hops) Extract, Equisetum Hywmale Extract, Chaomila Recutita, (Matricaria) Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Propylparaben, BHA, BHT, Fragrance/Parfum, Green 6, Yellow 11, Red 17.

Alex Lou
March 11th, 2015, 04:39 PM
AmberLouise,
That color looks amazing and natural on you with your complexion and eye color. I'm sure your natural color looks great too. There are very few natural light blondes. But I can see how it wouldn't be trendy right now with cooler toned blondes being the thing. But count yourself lucky that you can dye your hair whatever color you want without bleach! What dye are you using?

Alex Lou
March 11th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I posted about it when I first found it, here's a full listing of ingredients:

Glycine Soja (soybean) oil, Methyl Soyate, Glycine Vulgare (wheat) Grem oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) oil, Limanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Extract, Melaeuca Alterifolia (tea tree) Leaf oil, Zea Mays (corn) oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ergocalciferol, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Lawsonia Intermis (Henna) Extract, Humulus Lupulus (hops) Extract, Equisetum Hywmale Extract, Chaomila Recutita, (Matricaria) Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Propylparaben, BHA, BHT, Fragrance/Parfum, Green 6, Yellow 11, Red 17.

Wow, thanks for posting that.

JellyBene
March 11th, 2015, 05:40 PM
I already put it on the 'post your hair photos cos you really want to' thread but here is my red :) I had one coat of pure henna, a coat of Deep Red from The Henna Guys and did one vitamin C treatment to brighten it up. My natural color is ashy and dull light brown. I have tons of freckles and green eyes so I think I pull off the red pretty well, now if only my eyebrows weren't black! But those don't even match my natural color anyway...
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag75/Brea4012/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxumxxzvr.jpg (http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Brea4012/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxumxxzvr.jpg.html)

AmberLouise
March 11th, 2015, 05:59 PM
AmberLouise,
That color looks amazing and natural on you with your complexion and eye color. I'm sure your natural color looks great too. There are very few natural light blondes. But I can see how it wouldn't be trendy right now with cooler toned blondes being the thing. But count yourself lucky that you can dye your hair whatever color you want without bleach! What dye are you using?

Thanks! I do love that I can easily dye over it, that was really helpful when I was dying it pink. Right now I'm using L'Oreal Reddish Blonde, I though about doing henna but I'm kind of scared of how permanent it is.

Eastbound&Down
March 11th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Wow, thanks for posting that.

Welcome :)

evalina
March 14th, 2015, 04:31 AM
AmberLouise, love your color. Suits you perfectly. Especially with the brows.

I'm a natural bright redhead to strawberry blonde. As a kid I hated my color until I made the fatal mistake to cover it with henna and it even got worse. So had to stick to my color and find my peace with it.
Now I love it, with the length it has now, looks even better.

Quahatundightu
March 18th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Just posting this here as I think it's one of the only photos I have that faithfully represents my hair colour, loving all the other reds :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13259&d=1411616650

omidaverde
March 18th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I'm a natural red head :) I don't generally get freckles now though I did when I was younger. Love my hair colour :) This pic is a crop from when I had long hair, but the colour looks kinda weird... like dirty? I dunno, anyway enjoy :)

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/omidaverde/Croppedhair_zpsffv8uzzg.jpg

DizzyGinger
March 31st, 2015, 12:22 PM
Yay gingers! Everyone has lovely colors (henna included!)

I'm a natural strawberry blonde...this picture is pretty accurate. I get really light in summer if I don't protect myself, almost blonde.

http://i.imgur.com/dDn9RSf.jpg

Alex Lou
May 5th, 2015, 10:35 PM
DizzyGinger,

Gorgeous color. I've been into strawberry blonde lately and that's the color I've been wanting the achieve. Nothing too bold or crazy, just a "subtle" light red. I wish I could say that I ever had that color naturally, but when I was strawberry blonde I think it was always very orangy. Also, are you at the Long Beach aquarium?

Pat Wright
May 21st, 2015, 07:23 AM
Hi! I'm fairly new here, but would like to join in. I'm a bottle red, growing out old damage from making too many color changes.:doh: Now I am being a lot more protective about my dyeing methods. I hope to learn from fellow bottle babies.

pastina
May 23rd, 2015, 03:15 PM
i've got red hair now too (obviously not natural, though!!)

so, i just wanted to check in, say hi, and tell pat wright ^^ up above me ^^ that i'm here to help!

Pat Wright
May 25th, 2015, 04:46 AM
i've got red hair now too (obviously not natural, though!!)

so, i just wanted to check in, say hi, and tell pat wright ^^ up above me ^^ that i'm here to help!

Thank you! I'll need it! Lol

LadyMantis
May 25th, 2015, 10:38 PM
I was born with red hair but it started to fade as I got older. So I have natural reds in my hair, but I color it more to bring it out. Since I have pale skin and freckles (the highlights of being a ginger other than red hair), no one looks twice and me and thinks I use a little dye. ;)