PDA

View Full Version : Calling all polytexturous hairs out there

rena
February 14th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Does your hair seem very impressionable? Will it willingly change its texture at the drop of a hat or stroke of a comb? Even though it seemingly has its own personallity, does it also seem very obedient when you try to make it do something else, even when its dry? Does it always mold into whatever you want (or don't want) it to be? Do you even have drastically different types of hair on your head at once that all behave in their own peculier way?

I call this kind of hair "polytexturous" because it takes on other appearances insanely easily instead of staying a certain texture all the time.
I've looked, but I have not seen any other threads about this, so I would like to start one :)

So, is your hair (dun dun dunnn...) poly/multitexturous?

dinnee
February 14th, 2011, 06:52 AM
My hair is naturally wavy to curly, but on my forehead (?) is't uber curly. Like tight curls that always go their own way. It's not even my entire fringe, just like the way front part.

As a child I hated it, because I could never have bangs without my hair sticking up at odd ends. Now, I like it, because it's unique and I have never seen anyone with this kind of hair combination. :D

Beansidhe
February 14th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Yes, my hair is that way. It can't decide what it wants to be. Ever. It can be anything from almost straight to spiral curls depending on the weather, how recently it's been washed, what products have been used. If I put it in any kind of updo or braid it takes that shape on almost instantly. The hair around my hairline is wavy and full of cowlicks. If I wash my hair, everything from my ears down gets spiral curls for a little while. My canopy is the straightest part of my hair, with the underneath being very wavy. Yet sometimes in the winter if it's dry and I comb it all out it's almost straight.

sakuraemily
February 14th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Not particularly.

MissCoco
February 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Oh yes, definitely. I think my hair goes from 1c to 3a! :p It holds heat styling (both curling iron and straightening iron) and wet styling very well. If I use a sulfate/coney shampoo with baking soda and comb my hair afterward while it's wet, I get pretty straight hair. If I do a cold ACV rinse, I can get 2c/3a wurls and spirals. When it's humid, I get puffy curls!

Every season, type of weather, climate, product, etc. has its effect on my hair! :D

Cool thread!

rena
February 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Wow, just us four huh? Guess we've got a pretty rare and unique kind of hair then :D

jasper
February 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I have hairs of different textures within my mop if that is what you mean.

Bucatini
February 14th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I have both kinds. Different textures on my head (straight underneath and canopy, wurly length) AND the overall texture changes almost constantly. I have some of it figured out but there are times when the stars would be aligned for a curly day and it falls straight, and also days when experience tells me it "should" be smooth but it becomes puffball of frizz.

Now that I'm a longhair I kind of think that back when I had a short hairdo that I had to style daily, that all those "bad hair days" were just "differently textured days" that I was fighting against. What you've touched on, rena, sums up why I wear my hair long.

CarpeDM
February 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I have two textures, fine straight and thick wavy...

patienceneeded
February 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I think this is where my hair belongs. Some days my hair is super-wavy with some spirals, other days it's almost straight. If I put my hair up, it stays in place and hold its shape. Braid waves stick around until the next wash, even if I braid while dry. The front of my hair spirals, while the back can't decide if it's straight, wavy, or curly. Back when I heat-styled I could straighten or curl and have it last perfect until the next wash. Or, perversly, my hair won't do anything I want it to and I have to yank it into a ponytail, where it waits happily for me to come back and try again.

thirstylocks
February 14th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Woah yes! My long layers are smooth and straight. My short layers are wavy and course and unruly. I think its because of all the chemical damage =/

kwaniesiam
February 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Yes. My hair won't hold a curl or braidwaves to save it's life, but a ponytail in for 5 minutes will leave that annoying bump :rolleyes:

Nera
February 14th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Just like dinnee, I have more textures at the same time.. I have tight curls underneath some Heavy waves, and the hair just behind my forehead is straight and thin.
Also in my nape I have one small thin lock.

tarn
February 15th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I'm in the group of people whose hair has a myriad of different types of hair thrown in there. Straight, wavy, afro. I have an assortment of strands all vying for power = flyaway++ :(

Chamy
February 15th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I think my hair has polytexturous tendencies. I think its kind of annoying, since my hair kinks every way but down sometimes. Other than that, i enjoy variation. :D

milagro
February 15th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Yes, my hair is fine in the hairline and medium in the back/crown. It is also less wavy at the nape, maybe because it's being weighted down or just crushed most during sleep etc. And as it gets longer it gets straighter at the roots due to the weight. I'm not surprised since it had been slightly wavy with loose spirals at tips before I cut it long ago. I only discovered my true curly potential when I went from about waist up to nape length :)
And my hair behaves depending on weather, routine, cycle and what-not. I never know for sure how it will be when I'm coming out of the shower :D Keeps things interesting.

kanzer
February 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Me too! I've got tight ringlets at the very front, waves at the sides and very slight waves at the back. My top layer of hair is very frizzy, the bottom is smooth and shiny. If I blow-dry I have smooth, straight hair, if I air-dry I have curls and waves. If I put a braid in it it keeps the waves for days. But if it rains my straightened/blow-dried hair will morph into ringlets within minutes. :confused: It can be great cos I can really go both ways, straight, wavy or curly - but it can also be very frustrating at times when it just does what it feels like with no regard for my feelings!

Am I right in thinking that most of us have 2a/2b hair?

rena
February 15th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Am I right in thinking that most of us have 2a/2b hair?

I think so. I have 2b/2c hair, but its still quite wavy, and prone to go either straight or curly as well. Perhaps its just a popular wavy feature? Thats one of the beauties of being wurly/wurlyish; having so most versatility and being comfortably in-between ;) Its great to hear from other polytexuries out there!

rocket_surgeon
February 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure if I have the kind of hair you're talking about, but I do have more than one texture in my hair at any given time. Overall, I have a body wave; it's big s-waves that are about four to six inches in length. But I have a lot of baby hairs, especially at my temples and nape, and they ringlet. You can't see them when my hair is down, but when I put it back, they halo and it's very obvious.

chopandchange
February 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Umm yeah, that would be me.

Underneath I have coarse, spirally, dry, dark brown hair.

On the top sides of my head, I have smooth, almost 1b, dark blonde, shiny, fine hair.

I like the coarse curly hair because it gives me more volume.

I like the fine shiny hair because it gives me more shine and looks "healthier."

But sometimes I look at other people's uniform hair and feel like a freak of nature.

It almost seems like I have two completely different heads of hair. I am a curly and an almost-straighty both at once. :confused:

Most of the time my hair is in braid or bun waves, so the curls get stretched out and the straight parts get crimped, and they both agree on a middle ground!

GeoJ
February 15th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I think my hair is polytexturous. It varies in it's waviness, sometimes even appearing straight. It varies in how it feels. Some days it feels very course, some normal, and sometimes silky. My routine seems to have very little impact on this. It seems to be mostly influenced by the water I washed my hair with and the weather.

Bellona
February 15th, 2011, 05:06 PM
YES! My underneath hair is curly. The top 6 inches of my hair is straight to slightly wavy, and the rest of it is wavy! It always makes me look unkempt, I think. I can brush it all out to s-waves when I want it to behave. I can get it to go wurly most of the time. If it's really humid, I'll be curly. I haven't figured out how to get it all to be straight without heat :)

chopandchange
February 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Going by some of the responses I think there might be a difference between "polytexturous" and "multitexturous" but I'm not sure which is which.

i.e. Hair that is all the same, but all of it changes texture together, according to its mood,

as opposed to hair like mine, that is not all the same texture, but each different texture is always the same and remains either stubbornly curly or stubbornly smooth.

I don't think those two things are the same.

kanzer
February 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I think so. I have 2b/2c hair, but its still quite wavy, and prone to go either straight or curly as well. Perhaps its just a popular wavy feature? Thats one of the beauties of being wurly/wurlyish; having so most versatility and being comfortably in-between ;) Its great to hear from other polytexuries out there!

It's so good to hear that there are other people out there with shiny/frizzy/straight/wavy/curly hair! Today mine's nearly straight and feeling very silky, I think it's cos I CO-washed and over-oiled a little :p

varintalonguard
February 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Left along my hair becomes very curly but i can influence it easily but brushing it out after spraying it with a little mixture of water, glycerine and natural perfume oils I got off of etsy and then i get sort of 1940 waves. I can bun it while wet and get nice, though somewhat tangly, spirals. I think my hair is rather crazy.:D

Amelia
February 18th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I'm in the group of people whose hair has a myriad of different types of hair thrown in there. Straight, wavy, afro. I have an assortment of strands all vying for power = flyaway++ :(
YES!! In a nutshell!

The 'monster' (as I called it) that leaves on top of my head reminds me of a cat. It only does what it's in the mood for.

Also like someone else said, while wet i can style my hair very easily. It's the only way I can make it look a bit straight (although these days I stopped trying). But I can always modify the curls and waves to my wish.
Such a pity that it doesn't go for the flyaways too :shake: