PDA

View Full Version : Are hot rollers really that bad??

julliams
February 14th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I went out on a "date" with my husband for Valentine's day and my hair was looking a little messy. I had about 40 mintues so no time to wash and dry - I could straighten but I'm not doing that anymore. So, I decided to get the hot rollers out just to try them once more.

Now my straightener is SO hot that I could never physically touch it, a hair dryer can be so hot that I can only blow it on my hand for so long before it's too hot. But these rollers - well I can hold them in my hand and they just aren't really all that hot.

So I decided to use them - I just put my hair in a high "Liz Hurley" style ponytail and rolled small pieces with different sized rollers. It took about 10 minutes to do and then put a hair-net over them, took a shower and sat them in the rollers for about 20 minutes or so whilst I got dressed and did make up. I got a really nice curl that stayed in the ends all night and made my hair nice and smooth - all in just about half an hour!!

So are they really all that damaging? I can't imagine they were hotter than a hot shower would be and as they are in there, they are only getting cooler.

Is anyone with me or am I deluding myself?

dinnee
February 14th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I think the problem with straighteners and hot curl irons is that they boil the moisture inside the hair, hence the steam when you use them. I think, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, that when your rollers are not boiling anything they are pretty much ok.

julliams
February 14th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Yes I agree. There is definitely no steam whatsoever here. It's more like "are these going to work" kind of heat. You can totally hold them in your hand and yes, they are hot, but very bearable to hold.

Mesmerise
February 14th, 2011, 04:50 AM
My hair straightener goes from 180 degrees C to 230 degrees C... that's obviously waaaay hotter than something you could hold in your hand (no more than 70 degrees or 80 degrees C?? I'm not sure... if they're heated with steam they could get to 100 degrees C and no more)... and your hot rollers will start cooling down straight away, so by the time they're on your hair they won't be that hot.

I think it's a biiiig difference between using them and a curling iron or straightener!

Eire
February 14th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I used hot rollers for about a year while weaning myself off of blowdryers and straighteners. The damage wasn't as bad, but there was still damage.

Then again, I have hair that dries out at the slightest provocation, so maybe if you have more durable hair than I do, you'd be fine.

If you want a damage-free way to curl your hair, have you ever heard of Caruso rollers? That's what I used to get the curl in my siggy pic. They curl your hair with steam and aren't hot at all to the touch.

julliams
February 14th, 2011, 05:16 AM
See that's the thing I don't understand about the Caruso - steam comes from boiling water and you can't touch steam - it burns. I can't get my head around it. I'm certain I'd have to see it and have a go. I'm sure it's what everyone says it is - I just can't get my head around it.

The hot rollers I have are heated from a hot rod down the centre of each roller. They are flocked and really just warm. I'm figuring anything I can touch with my skin comfortably is safe for my hair. I won't be doing it that often but at least I don't have to throw them out which I had thought I would have to.

littlenvy
February 14th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I like hot rollers. And there are usually two setting on them; one for hot and one for warm. The curl only happens after you keep them on for a while so to me that's gentle enough as not to damage.

As for Caruso steam ... there is a difference between something being infused with steam and boiling the moisture right out of your hair. That's why Caruso is safe while hot irons are not. (plus esternal steam cools of pretty fast)

UltraBella
February 14th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I agree with littlenvy, the Caruso rollers are infused with steam, you are not putting the steam directly on your hair. Steam dissipates very quickly and you are left with moist, gentle heat.

Generally, the damage from blow dryers and hot rollers is about equal. Not as bad as flat irons but still damaging. Most that I know of get too hot to hold directly in your hand so I am unsure of what kind you have.

Thinthondiel
February 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I love hot rollers and I use them occasionally. I don't know if it has caused any damage, but for me it's a lot gentler than blow drying (my hair feels like straw whenever I've blow dried it). The curlers just leave my hair feeling soft and bouncy. :)

Shermie Girl
February 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I agree with littlenvy, the Caruso rollers are infused with steam, you are not putting the steam directly on your hair. Steam dissipates very quickly and you are left with moist, gentle heat.

Generally, the damage from blow dryers and hot rollers is about equal. Not as bad as flat irons but still damaging. Most that I know of get too hot to hold directly in your hand so I am unsure of what kind you have.

This. :)

In my personal experience hot rollers are just too hot. Every time I used them, I burned my fingers. And if something is hot enough to burn skin, it is definitely burning your hair. :) Caruso rollers, which I have used since 1989 are gentle, give fab curl and never burn my skin or my hair. In fact, when I take my hair off the rollers, it is cool, silky and feels moisturised. Gotta love that. :D

I like to wear my hair sleek and smooth and I can achieve it with a good blowout. I never set my blow dryer any warmer than in comfortable on my face, but I still try not to blow dry too often. ;)

julliams
February 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
The one I have is called Vidal Sassoon Complete Curls. It's ancient - about 15 years old I think. It looks like a big version of this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VIDAL-SASSOON-Hot-Rollers-BIG-CURLS-Set-5-Box-EUC-/280625803156

I understand that when something is too hot to hold it would be damaging. I guess I'm saying that my kit is more of a "hand holding" heat so I'm thinking it would not be damaging - no more than wearing a heat pack cap on my head to make my treatment sink in.

julliams
February 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgUVTa0mA1A This particular video is very 80's/early 90's but it has the creator's daughter explain exactly how the Caruso works.

I really need to find one here in Australia.

elaiesusandavie
February 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I know they take longer...but I've been using some old-fashioned sponge rollers lately. Yes it needs a bit of forward planning (or you don't have to mind being seen in them) but I've found they are much kinder to my hair

julliams
February 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
They do work well too but I do find that it can be a little hit and miss for me. Sometimes I wake up and my hair is still wet and other times they spring up so high that I end up having to rewash my hair. You are right - it is about planning. It's just that sometimes, when you want to be spontaneous it is good to have a fallback - or just bun - lol