PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About Unlikely Hair Products

Natalia
February 14th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I laugh as i type that title considering what we consider hair products around here :p. Anyway these two i dont recall reading about for hair so id love your advice :). I have some squaline and unrefined lanolin around for my skin problems and i wondered if they could be used on hair and if so what are some good preperations?

I remember reading about squaline on here before but i think it was for dry skin so i figure id check in before slathering it onmy head ;).

Natalia

Kaijah
February 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I think squalene would be fine - a lot of times it's derived from olive oil or palm oil. Even the animal oil derived version should be fine, it just tends to be a little more.. well... oily in texture.

I hesitate a bit on the lanolin, just because it can be very thick and waxy. It might build up pretty quickly.

Neither should hurt your hair though, so I'd go right ahead and experiment if you already have them on hand. :p I think they'd be fine on their own for a regular oiling or mixed with a bit of conditioner or something. Pretty much anything you'd use any other oil in.

Kaeita
February 14th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I wondered about lanolin myself.

The way I use lanolin is to soften and coat wool soakers (nappy or diaper covers), and I've heard it works well for wool socks too. It does leave the wool very soft, but can give it a slightly greasy feel too.

It may be worth trying, it will wash out if it doesn't work. When I'm doing soakers, I usually melt a teaspoon of lanolin in a cup of hot water, add an equal amount (ie teaspoon) of liquid detergent (which can be used for washing hair and body as well, so is very mild), then either let it cool and tip it straight over the garment so it all soaks in (resulting in more lanolin in the garment), or add some cooler water to it for a soak. Either way, my hands end up feeling a bit greasy, but after they air dry, they're very soft. I've never tried it on my hair though.

Natalia
February 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I think squalene would be fine - a lot of times it's derived from olive oil or palm oil. Even the animal oil derived version should be fine, it just tends to be a little more.. well... oily in texture.

I hesitate a bit on the lanolin, just because it can be very thick and waxy. It might build up pretty quickly.

Neither should hurt your hair though, so I'd go right ahead and experiment if you already have them on hand. :p I think they'd be fine on their own for a regular oiling or mixed with a bit of conditioner or something. Pretty much anything you'd use any other oil in.

Thanks for the tips, i figured squaline was the safer bet but i wasnt about to go mess up my freshly washed hair on a whim :p. I actually like the texture of squaline very much on my skin its been a huge lifesaver through the winter months. Good point on the lanolin it soaks into my hands in under 15 minutes without a film whereas oil tends to leave a slight film no matter how long its on so i figured maybe it would react similarly on hair. I think if i try that one i will mix it with a little coconut and use spairingly.

I wondered about lanolin myself.

The way I use lanolin is to soften and coat wool soakers (nappy or diaper covers), and I've heard it works well for wool socks too. It does leave the wool very soft, but can give it a slightly greasy feel too.

It may be worth trying, it will wash out if it doesn't work. When I'm doing soakers, I usually melt a teaspoon of lanolin in a cup of hot water, add an equal amount (ie teaspoon) of liquid detergent (which can be used for washing hair and body as well, so is very mild), then either let it cool and tip it straight over the garment so it all soaks in (resulting in more lanolin in the garment), or add some cooler water to it for a soak. Either way, my hands end up feeling a bit greasy, but after they air dry, they're very soft. I've never tried it on my hair though.

How funny when i was reading last night most of what i found was for woolen diaper covers :). Thanks for the info thought it gives me a bettr idea of how it migth act in my hair.

skaempfer
February 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I can imagine that rubbing a tiny bit into your palms (the lanolin, that is) and then over your hair might be goodie winter. Lanolin is a good anti-staticker, and static seems to be somewhat of a scourge around here in the winter.

Natalia
February 14th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I can imagine that rubbing a tiny bit into your palms (the lanolin, that is) and then over your hair might be goodie winter. Lanolin is a good anti-staticker, and static seems to be somewhat of a scourge around here in the winter.

Great point!