PDA

View Full Version : Matted hair, especially at the nape?

ArienEllariel
February 13th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Everything was going just fine hairwise today, no problems until I took a nap this afternoon with my hair loose. I woke up with two giant mats on either side of my head partly at the nape of my neck. :( I've never had this happen before... what do you suggest to get them untangled? I've tried oil and a light conditioner but that didn't help much.

I really don't want to have to cut them out!

Edit: This is the first time that I've slept with my hair loose in a long time. I had some bad news earlier today so I didn't remember to bun or braid my hair beforehand... It was one of those cry then feel overwhelmingly tired after things.

Oh, besides the obvious containing of the hair, any other tips to keep mats from happening again besides forgoing sleep? :p

Cailie
February 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM
wet and use a lot LOT of conditionner :)
and patience (+ work gently from the tips up with a comb, do not start at the roots !)

SpinDance
February 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I'll second wet. Get into the shower, apply conditioner and then detangle with your fingers slowly from the ends up.

ArienEllariel
February 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks both of you !

I ended up hopping in the shower and doing a deep treatment with a heavy conditioner for about half an hour. I lost a bunch of hair but the tangles came out without snapping and breaking my hair and I didn't have to cut!

RavennaNight
February 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
You say you lost a bunch of hair? Sometimes when I naturally shed, I notice the hairs get tangled in the nape on their way out.;) Is it possible you were just shedding some? Because I get that scenario once or twice a year. A hellacious nape tangle, that I comb out, and discover many naturally shed hairs (you can see the roots of the hairs).

Cailie
February 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks both of you !

I ended up hopping in the shower and doing a deep treatment with a heavy conditioner for about half an hour. I lost a bunch of hair but the tangles came out without snapping and breaking my hair and I didn't have to cut!

good news !:cheese:

ArienEllariel
February 13th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Well I have noticed that I've been shedding a lot more lately than usual. Possibly.. :) I just hope it isn't a result of the medicine I've been taking (which takes 6 months to reach its full effect and can cause hairloss).

1953Diygal
February 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM
You may need to break the mat apart with the pointy end of a rat tail comb. That's what it took to get my mats apart. If the mats have become "locked," all of the conditioner in the world won't help. Trust me. I know of what I speak. ;)

Magdalene
February 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I do a few modified CO's with a very coney conditioner before i attempt to comb thru- I'll finger comb it the shower and, after enough cones the matts will come out mostly on their own. Eventually.

kteachone
February 14th, 2011, 02:50 PM
When I get tangles in the nape area, I use a tiny bit of coconut oil to loosen it.