PDA

View Full Version : Can these curls be saved??

Allychan
February 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
PLEASE SEE PAGE#2 POST #13 FOR AN UPDATE AND PHOTOS OF MY DAUGHTER'S HAIR

OR TRY CLICKING HERE ... http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65600&page=2

This is a photo of my daughter's hair. Unlike mine, it is quite thick and used to be the type of loose curls you'd see in Disney Princess movies. Unfortunatly I was left in charge of taking care of it and have all but destroyed her once enviable curls. They are now very knotty and very frizzy. I have tried putting coconut oil in it but she just looks greasy and in need of a wash. I don't have curls so I am at a complete loss as to the curl care routine.

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x476/Allychan1/ChayseshairFeb.jpg?t=1297648446
ps:And if you are wondering, I used Kero and shampoo on it as a desperate measure to get rid on nits!
pps: Happy Valentine's Ladies (and some Gents) :love: :heart:

Mesmerise
February 13th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Well kero is pretty bad for hair ;) For nits I use lots of conditioner (cheap stuff) and add lavender oil and tea tree oil (pretty generously), mix it all together, liberally coat the hair with it and put on a shower cap, which is left on for several hours. This kills ALL the lice and seems to also kill the nits (cause I don't manage to get them all out when I use the lice comb, and yet there are no more new ones after a couple of weeks...so the eggs seem to be dead too).

However, for the moment I'd say the best thing to do would be to clarify your daughter's hair (no idea if kero leaves any residue on, but I'd say it would have some nasty stuff in it) and put on a deep conditioning treatment and let it soak for awhile, before combing out all the knots and tangles.

Coconut oil is good to leave in overnight, but needs to be washed out again or it will look greasy. When I use it on my hair during the day I do so very, very lightly and even then I have to be careful not to make it look oily!

ScarlettAdelle
February 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM
You could try brushing / combing her hair at night, putting the coconut oil in and washing it with a good moisturizing shampoo / conditioner in the morning (I personally like ENJOY's Moisture line, but any good moisture shampoo will do... although, if you can get your hands on some ENJOY Luxury Shampoo and Conditioner, that's my personal favorite) in the morning, comb only while it's being rinsed, then spray with a leave in conditioner, scrunch with your fingers and then leave it alone. If that doesn't yield the results you seek, a curl boosting cream may help.

Good luck! :)

Cailie
February 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I would try clarifying first
and then a deep conditionning (comb gently with the condish in)
well rinsed with water and a dilluted acv rinse at the end (rinse her hair standing up in normal position, not head bent forward)
towel very gently, no rubbing
air dry without combing
(try adding oil only before washing, not after a wash)

lacefrost
February 13th, 2011, 08:33 PM
You should pop over to the Wurly and Curly hair thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

Roseate
February 13th, 2011, 08:51 PM
How do you currently care for her hair? How often do you wash it and with what, do you comb or brush, do you condition, do you use any leave-ins?

General curly care includes plenty of conditioner, no brushing, gentle combing to detangle (either before a wash or while wet and saturated in conditoner), and usually some kind of leave in (either some of the same conditioner you used as a rinse-out, or something else). Let it airdry without touching, and admire!

There are of course many variations on that. Do check out the curly thread!

manderly
February 13th, 2011, 09:15 PM
OMigoodness, what lacefrost and roseate said.

Curls don't require shampoo regularly. Once and a while to clear up any buildup if at all.

Conditioner only washing, combing out tangles while hair is full of conditioner in the shower, rinsing well and applying a little extra to the ends and scrunching out the extra water with a non-terry towel (think t-shirt). Allow to dry without touching (touching=frizz).

A little gel can be scrunched in right after the leave-in for more definition if desired.

And conditioner only washing is sufficient to remove excess oil - you don't need to clarify.

Your daughter has very pretty hair and it will look lovelier when her curls get happy again :)

Allychan
February 14th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Thank you to all you wonderful people.
My daughter is excited at the prospect of her curls returning.
I will pop over to the Wurly and Curly thread now and have a browse, but what you have shared so far will be put to good use.
I will post a picture when we see some results...

Joliebaby
February 14th, 2011, 03:38 AM
My niece has lovely waist length curls. Her hair gets washed once a week with a gentle shampoo and conditioned afterwards. She uses a detangling leave-in spray, and I gave her my own concoction leave-in cream (coconut oil, shea butter and conditioner with a dash of honey) to use in the ends of her hair.

jasper
February 14th, 2011, 04:30 AM
kero as in kerosene? :scared:

DuckyDot
February 14th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Your daughters hair is what mine looked like before I stopped 'cones and what-not. (And before I chopped my hair off......) I don't have any other advice because all I would have said has already been mentioned. But definitely try deep conditioning!

Sanyia
February 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Lots of conditioner in the shower, get all the tangles out (I use - and love - a tangle teezer for this), rinse with lukewarm water, wrap in a towel until it doesn't drip anymore. Put half clear aloe vera gel and half water in a small spritz bottle and mist her hair. Holding the hair by the ends so that it doesn't tangle again, gently shake it from side to side to help the curl form again. Don't touch until dry!

Allychan
July 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
This is an old post of mine and here's an update. Not long after I started my hair journey, I also started taking better care of my two kid's hair and put into practise a lot of the recommendations from this post. As you can see, after two years of intensive hair care, the kid's hair has flourished. In both photos their hair was not brushed or styled, just freshly oiled with coconut oil. I cut their hair myself every six months
http://mylushlonghaircarejourney.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/c-2011-to-2013.jpg?w=300&h=286
and my other daughter so she does not feel left out
http://mylushlonghaircarejourney.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/r-2011-to-2013.jpg?w=300&h=256

Leeloo
July 29th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Their hair is gorgeous! I love the shine

CurlyCap
July 29th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I would try clarifying first
and then a deep conditionning (comb gently with the condish in)
well rinsed with water and a dilluted acv rinse at the end (rinse her hair standing up in normal position, not head bent forward)
towel very gently, no rubbing
air dry without combing
(try adding oil only before washing, not after a wash)

Seconded. :D