PDA

View Full Version : help on faster hair growth??

gthlvrmx
February 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM
pleaseee im going to grow my hair as far as it can go and id love good advice from people that have used anything that made their hair grow faster
i had braids in for two weeks cuz my hair grows pretty fast and new growth was everywhere(literally, a fuzzyness on the top of my head) and when i took them out my hair was an inch longer, though i had to trim off all the damaged ends. but that was in october. :P
rite now im using Biotin and my vitamins
anything else that has worked and will aid me on my journey? :)
MAHALO! :D

EDIT: Thank you all for the advice, i loved it! I have taken a lot of information since the beginning and tried several things (you're right....my hair is already healthy enough, EVOO doesn't work nor does castor) and i just hope some people who are looking around for "faster" hair growth might be able to get tips on here. But this is a pretty old thread and i feel bad everytime someone replies because i feel like it's as if im STILL asking! As for my "fast" hair growth....psh! No fair, for every inch i gain my curls take away 3! So there! :D Playing.

growing2shine
February 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I can tell you what has been working for me so far (and my hair grows fast!):

Scalp massages.
Silica.
ACV (Apple cider vinegar) rinse.
Lots of protein and water!
Less washing.

... I think that's about it. :)

Happy growing!... Oh and welcome!!! :D

arwenevenstar37
February 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I would suggest keeping it in updos or braids, try playing with it as little as you can and eat healthily :)

Dina L.
February 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Maybe you should try castor oil massaged into to scalp. You can search the forum, there are already some threads about it.

GuardGirl
February 13th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Protein protein protein!!!

Nae
February 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Okay, I have not tried this. And frankly I don't want to scare you off seeing as how this is just your second post but some members here have had really good luck using........wait for it......... monistat. Seriously.

Here is the thread for your reading pleasure. http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156

It may sound strange but they say it works. So instead of strange lets just call it creative.:D

Welcome to the boards!!!!!!

Red_Wednesday
February 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Protein protein protein!!!

I just bought a big container of protein, plus castor oil - wow - I'm really excited to see how these things work:D.

gthlvrmx
February 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Scalp massages.
Silica.
Less washing.

silica, where may i find that? and how do i do the apple cider vinegar rinse?
i tried the mayo treatment and baby oil before but stopped because my color was changing and i wasn't liking it

Okay, I have not tried this. And frankly I don't want to scare you off seeing as how this is just your second post but some members here have had really good luck using........wait for it......... monistat. Seriously.

Here is the thread for your reading pleasure. http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156

It may sound strange but they say it works. So instead of strange lets just call it creative.:D

Welcome to the boards!!!!!!
jajaja monistat ill be sure to try that someday :) do you just massage it into the hair and rinse?

Nae
February 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
jajaja monistat ill be sure to try that someday :) do you just massage it into the hair and rinse?

I believe so, I read a bit of the thread a long time ago but can't remember exactly how they did it. I would just read through there when you have a little time. I am sure all the answers to your questions would be there. :)

Cailie
February 13th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Be and stay the healthiest you can be (:

Veviticus
February 13th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Scalp massages.
Silica.
Less washing.

Where can I find Silica? Can I get it from a health food store, (GNC, etc.?) or do I have to order it online?

MrsGuther
February 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I would say benign neglect, stretching washes, and updo's most of the time will definitely help! :)

gthlvrmx
February 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM
mahalo :) thank you for the advice :)

Where can I find Silica? Can I get it from a health food store, (GNC, etc.?) or do I have to order it online?

like double that, where? cuz i just read a thread, ohhhh i forgot wat it was called :(, but of some earthly thing meant for pools and gardens but the food type , DE?? i think it was called, was actually full of silica and great for the hair, the lady said it helped her hair grow 1/2 inch in two weeks

cinemax
February 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM
you can buy silica in your health food store, under $20 for the brand biosil.

growing2shine
February 16th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Oh sorry for the late responce! :o I buy my silica in a regular grossery store. In my country it's available everywhere! :)
And about ACV rinse I don't exactly know the mix. I've experienced with it for quite awhile... I have a 2 liter jug in my bathroom, and I just fill it up and then add a little ACV. It's a great rinse for me (I live an a hard water area). ACV rinse can also be great for an irritated scalp because it helps restore a healthy PH balance.
This is a possible resipe:
Add three tablespoons of acv or white vinegar (if you are blonde and don't want red tones) to a cup of cold water. After washing your hair, squeeze as much water as you can from your hair, and rinse your hair/scalp with the dilluted vinegar. Leave in for about a minute, and then rinse with water.
^ My mix isn't as strong, and I leave it in.

Lianna
February 16th, 2011, 04:53 PM
What works for me concerning just growth:

keeping scalp clean at all times (you must find your balance)
eating healthy (so vitamins didn't boost anything for me)
monistat (virgin roots sprouting twice as fast)

Some like castor oil, I found too sticky and unconfortable due to my hot weather.

There's also retention (ends):

keeping your ends from braking with gentle brushing/combing
have your hair always moisturized (dry hair brakes easier)
sealing the ends for protection (cones, oils) - damp oiling can be very beneficial

Some things that may or may not affect according to individual:

rubbing agaisnt clothes (some choose to wear updos often)
hair dyes/heat/perms (some can, some cannot)
sleeping with hair loose, or without a bonnet (some choose updos/braids to sleep since avoids tangles)
washing too much may have your hair dry and brake/washing too little may cause you fungus that prevents hair growth

That's some things I learned here, I picked what worked for me. Good luck!

French Braider
February 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Cold water rinses work well for me. I am also into natural herbal stuff and I found out that Stinging Nettle is good for hair growth. Vinegar rinses also work for me. Good luck!

curlychica702
February 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM
what really effects your hair growth is diet.. first cut out soda, and junk food, make sure you eat lots of fruits veggies, beans, drink lots of water and eat as healthy as you can.
wear your hair up in loose buns held up by hairsticks or hairpins (scrunchies can snag hair ouch!)

curlychica702
February 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
and put coconut oil in your hair and scalp (:

utdesertrunner
February 16th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Lots of good ideas! Can I suggest not trying them all at the same time? Give one a shot for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, so you can pinpoint what is working. Also, you don't want to go broke buying everything or have different products contradict each other.

Happy Growing and Welcome!

ritza
February 16th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Protective styling,Eating healthy,Drinking plenty water,scalp rubs & lite oils to seal..

Happy Hair Growing!

gthlvrmx
June 22nd, 2011, 10:34 PM
Well, the funny question that makes me laugh everytime i see it :p
I hope this thread can help answer a few questions if anyone see's it :p
Not much can really make it grow faster as i have learned, but the best you can do it protect your little hairs and ends and keep them from breaking :)
Strengthen, protect, and condition these babies! Seeing that hair is already made of protein, don't always need so much of it if it's strong enough. Thanks for everyone's replies! :)

Nothing really made sense when i first joined :(

And oils just are not quite cutting it for this hair yet. Oh well!

McFearless
June 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
If your hair grows so fast, the hell do you need our advice for? :D Don't be greedy! :p

Haha are you using monistat? castor oil? scalp massages?

How much biotin are you taking? Be careful with that stuff.

gthlvrmx
June 22nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
If your hair grows so fast, the hell do you need our advice for? :D Don't be greedy! :p

Haha are you using monistat? castor oil? scalp massages?

How much biotin are you taking? Be careful with that stuff.

Haha, i didn't even realize a single thing about my hair until i came here and saw for myself :p
I am scared to be using monistat first off, i saw some people got headaches and that was enough for me. Anything that i'm using for my hair that causes problems are just a no for me.
I tried the castor oil and i got sheds that worried me so i had to stop.
But plain scalp massages are good for me! :) I love them :) Very comforting
I stopped taking biotin (and my nails are now a tad weaker), i was taking the 5000 mcg which supposedly is 150 times more than the reccomended ammount. I read Igor's old posts about it and that was enough for me, plus seeing that someone got renal failure. Wasn't worth it for me, plus i saw my hair grows fine without it anyways. Maybe i'll pop a pill randomly every two months or so to get rid of the bottle someday, but nope.

princess03
June 22nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
what really effects your hair growth is diet.. first cut out soda, and junk food, make sure you eat lots of fruits veggies, beans, drink lots of water and eat as healthy as you can.
wear your hair up in loose buns held up by hairsticks or hairpins (scrunchies can snag hair ouch!)
lol made me feel guilty drinking soda and a cup of tapioca pudding :(

what helps is less stress too, try to relax and keep hair up alot :)

gthlvrmx
June 22nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
lol made me feel guilty drinking soda and a cup of tapioca pudding :(

what helps is less stress too, try to relax and keep hair up alot :)
Don't feel guilty! :) Guilt=more stress. Hehe, very true! Keeping it up helps a bundle!

Auksaplauke
August 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
but it seems to be very popular. and I will try everything isbandyti.As can stimulate hair growth for me no matter how much it cost

Madora
August 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
pleaseee im going to grow my hair as far as it can go and id love good advice from people that have used anything that made their hair grow faster
i had braids in for two weeks cuz my hair grows pretty fast and new growth was everywhere(literally, a fuzzyness on the top of my head) and when i took them out my hair was an inch longer, though i had to trim off all the damaged ends. but that was in october. :P
rite now im using Biotin and my vitamins
anything else that has worked and will aid me on my journey? :)
MAHALO! :D

Your hair will only grow as fast as nature ordains. You can, however, protect what you have by:

eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water and exercising moderately

What you EAT is much more important than what you put on your head. You derive more nutrients by eating the avocado (or eggs) than putting them on your hair.

Protect your hair by wearing your hair up..or contained in some way.

Don't wash the daylights out of your hair. Avoid hot curlers,hot irons and blowfrying.

Use a WIDE tooth comb to detangle and use your fingers to untangle the snarl!

Always detangle first with a comb before brushing.

Brush with a pure boar bristle brush. Over time it will give your hair shine, softness and brushing also is good for the scalp and hair follicles.

Above all, be patient. Beautiful, healthy hair takes time to cultivate! Also be sure and give it minute trims every 3 months.

gthlvrmx
August 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Your hair will only grow as fast as nature ordains. You can, however, protect what you have by:

eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water and exercising moderately

What you EAT is much more important than what you put on your head. You derive more nutrients by eating the avocado (or eggs) than putting them on your hair.

Protect your hair by wearing your hair up..or contained in some way.

Don't wash the daylights out of your hair. Avoid hot curlers,hot irons and blowfrying.

Use a WIDE tooth comb to detangle and use your fingers to untangle the snarl!

Always detangle first with a comb before brushing.

Brush with a pure boar bristle brush. Over time it will give your hair shine, softness and brushing also is good for the scalp and hair follicles.

Above all, be patient. Beautiful, healthy hair takes time to cultivate! Also be sure and give it minute trims every 3 months.

You are always full of great advice Madora :D And the brushes of course! I'll have a more open mind to them eventually, im afraid of handling my poof.

Veviticus
August 12th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I purchased a 3lb. container of Silica on Amazon.com., for $8.00. Just make sure that it says "100% food grade silica" and not the type used for swimming pools. The benefits of silica are so vast, it would take up too much space to post it all here. A little goes a long way, so it will take me forever to use up all of mine. I take two tablespoons every morning with juice, but make sure you drink plenty of water. You can use it as a facial scrub, and as a toothpaste power added to your regular toothpaste or baking soda. It has helped my hair to grow like insanely quicker, and it's good for joints, makes your body create more collagen to diminish wrinkles. It detoxifies and de-worms for both you and your pets, just sprinkle a little in their water or food. It improves their coats. It even lowers cholesterol! Now get this: You can put it around your house to get rid of bedbugs and roaches! Put just a little around where your pets sleep to get rid of ticks and fleas. It's better than using the very expensive stuff that you get from your vet. Again, I could go on and on, but do your research and see what you can find out.

squiggyflop
August 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
boy if i had a dollar for every time i read this question on lhc..

to get my hair to grow about 3 inches a month, i took: natrol skin hair nails, knockoff centrum, drank a gallon a day of milk and was mostly carnivorous, oh and a zero stress lifestyle helps too.. i no longer do any of these things.. too lazy and they are too expensive

everyones hair has a genetic max hair growth speed.. mine is very high.. most people would be lucky to get an inch a month even in optimal conditions

archel
August 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I am using a blend of castor oil on my scalp and I am amazed. My hair is growing faster AND I have tons of NEW growth (baby hairs everywhere). My blend is 50/50 castor/grapeseed oils and then 10 drops of lavender and 10 drops of helichrysum (both stimulating/healing essential oils) and some vanilla oil for fragrance. It's like my special aromatherapy time when I apply it to my scalp before bed (every other night on wash nights). I wash it the next morning and my hair is shiny and happy. I also use a couple drops on the tail of my braid that I wear for sleeping.

Hope this helps!

RitaPG
August 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM
In all honesty, supplements don't make hair grow faster, they may improve your potential IF you have some sort of vitamin deficiency which causes slow growth (my sister and I for example suffer from occasional anemia, and let me tell you, it's a b*tch!) but overall I don't think anything makes your hair grow faster, per se.
I take a multi-vitamin for general health. Started fish oil a while ago (my skin hair and nails never looked better OMG) and joined the biotin train a couple days ago, let's see how that one goes.

The best way to improve your growth potential is to avoid health hazards:
* Keep your scalp and hair clean, moisturized and styled in friendly ways.
* Eat well.
* Don't stress.
And I can't stress the last one enough, stress is your worst enemy, back in high school I was all nervous and depressive, these days I'm more of a "bitch, calm your tits" :rollin: taking everything not so seriously was a major improvement, in my life and on my hair ^^'

That's probably because your scalp and hair already get enough moisture. Maybe later, when your hair starts getting longer and your ends feel more thirsty you'll find that you need oil, but if you don't need it, you don't need it ^^'

Oh, and avoid supplement overdose. Even if something is water soluble, doesn't mean you can take more of it, since your body can only absorb so much at a time, and your kidneys will have to go through all the excess. Megadosing is kinda pointless and may have the opposite reaction.

What you're doing right now seems more than perfect :)
And
Seriously, your hair grows pretty fast already, so shut up :p

RitaPG
August 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
A LOT of people will suggest oils, so you should mention that on your original post. Just sayin' :p

Busybee
August 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
To not stress over hair that sucks is such an oxymoron, and easier said than done. I mean, I wouldn't be on LHC if I wasn't so vain and obsessive over my hair - so EPIC FAIL, in that category of helping my hair health

However, in the last year, whenever my hair has grown (I only notice by my dyed roots) it just grew slowly and only about 1/2 every 6 weeks. Since doing every 3 day castor oil massages and then coating my hair in coconut oil - I have sprouts of NEW hair all over my head. I am like a damn potato!! This is totally seperate from my growth on the length - so there is no denying that the castor oil did work.

I am taking 300mg of Nettle 2x a day too, but I started that only 2 weeks ago - and some of these sprouts are already 1/2 inch or more. Check out my profile album to see what I mean.

I'm just saying - maybe dilute the castor oil and give it another try [I know you said you shed from it].

archel
August 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Busybee, those are some exciting results! I am so happy for you!

PinkyCat
August 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Is it true that hair grows the most while you sleep?

If so, g'night kids... :cheese:

gthlvrmx
August 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM
boy if i had a dollar for every time i read this question on lhc..

to get my hair to grow about 3 inches a month, i took: natrol skin hair nails, knockoff centrum, drank a gallon a day of milk and was mostly carnivorous, oh and a zero stress lifestyle helps too.. i no longer do any of these things.. too lazy and they are too expensive

everyones hair has a genetic max hair growth speed.. mine is very high.. most people would be lucky to get an inch a month even in optimal conditions
Oh lord,such an old thread here. I feel foolish everytime i come back and read this! That's amazing, 3 inches a month!!

That's probably because your scalp and hair already get enough moisture. Maybe later, when your hair starts getting longer and your ends feel more thirsty you'll find that you need oil, but if you don't need it, you don't need it ^^'

Oh, and avoid supplement overdose. Even if something is water soluble, doesn't mean you can take more of it, since your body can only absorb so much at a time, and your kidneys will have to go through all the excess. Megadosing is kinda pointless and may have the opposite reaction.

What you're doing right now seems more than perfect :)
And
Seriously, your hair grows pretty fast already, so shut up :pinktongue:
Jajaja i'll be quiet. :p I stopped overdosing on anything (i learned my lesson with my DE overdose, detox too fast!) Thank you! :D Oh and by the way, this is an old thread i should probably say something in my old thread that i'd like for people to not really bother with this since i realized genetics is pretty much overall the most important thing with hair growth.

To not stress over hair that sucks is such an oxymoron, and easier said than done. I mean, I wouldn't be on LHC if I wasn't so vain and obsessive over my hair - so EPIC FAIL, in that category of helping my hair health

However, in the last year, whenever my hair has grown (I only notice by my dyed roots) it just grew slowly and only about 1/2 every 6 weeks. Since doing every 3 day castor oil massages and then coating my hair in coconut oil - I have sprouts of NEW hair all over my head. I am like a damn potato!! This is totally seperate from my growth on the length - so there is no denying that the castor oil did work.

I am taking 300mg of Nettle 2x a day too, but I started that only 2 weeks ago - and some of these sprouts are already 1/2 inch or more. Check out my profile album to see what I mean.

I'm just saying - maybe dilute the castor oil and give it another try .
Jaja maybe! I will try it someday in the future! :D

Is it true that hair grows the most while you [I]sleep?

If so, g'night kids... :cheese:
Yes, i think it's pretty true...i mean you regenerate a lot in your sleep. And sleep=less stress which then might mean=better hair growth. Being overall healthy is very crucial on your hair!! Sheds SUCK when you are sick and it shows sometimes.

jojo
September 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I think 3" a month is like very unusual and could be down to measuring wrong too, measuring isn't exact and is just an estimate. I am not saying squiggy doesn't get 3" a month but at that rate you would be floor length in no time! Height and build also play a part. I also think worrying about how fast/slow you grow doesn't help; just enjoy the journey no matter how fast or slow it is!

unknown
September 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Castor oil! Apply to scalp 1-2 times a week and wash after about 30min. It makes your hair thicker as well.
I did this for two months, my hair managed to grow three(!) inches.

jojo
September 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
^^ yes ive heard caster oil is good, its just a bit too sticky for me, even when mixed with other oils. We do have a long thread about members success stories with caster oil.

Safira
September 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I was thinking, what I mad differently when my hair grew suddenly a lot just in three months, and it was Omega 3-product I was taking, and in different problem :D

gthlvrmx
September 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I think 3" a month is like very unusual and could be down to measuring wrong too, measuring isn't exact and is just an estimate. I am not saying squiggy doesn't get 3" a month but at that rate you would be floor length in no time! Height and build also play a part. I also think worrying about how fast/slow you grow doesn't help; just enjoy the journey no matter how fast or slow it is!
It sounds like one amazing thing to do, 3 inches a month :p
Just enjoy, just let it do it's thing :) Thanks.

Castor oil! Apply to scalp 1-2 times a week and wash after about 30min. It makes your hair thicker as well.
I did this for two months, my hair managed to grow three(!) inches.
glad it worked for you :D

I was thinking, what I mad differently when my hair grew suddenly a lot just in three months, and it was Omega 3-product I was taking, and in different problem :D
Omega ay? Might want to add that to my vitamins list, i have been off them for a while :| I've only been doing protein shakes every other day.

McFearless
September 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Growth is going to happen to matter what. Just let it happen. For a hobby, because a lot of us like to feel like we are actively doing something for our hair(well i do), I try to experiment with routines and herbs that will reduce my shedding to as little as possible. I'm really into essential oils at the time. They smell beautiful.

Auksaplauke
February 28th, 2013, 11:38 PM
My hair growth faster tips
Eat healthy
use vitamins sometimes
use some oils coconut oil
do not wash hair often
go sport
nettle helps it make my hair stronger and thicker
be patient and not to worry

jacqueline101
March 1st, 2013, 05:26 AM
Good health protein and Monistat vitamins.