PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a "hair stupid moment"?

Curlsgirl
June 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I was reading a thread yesterday (can't remember which one) and someone mentioned a braided bun. She said she didn't tie the braid off before bunning. I thought, hmmmm, maybe if I did that then the band wouldn't show when I do my bun as I have trouble with sometimes. So I tried it today and ALAS it works! DOH!! Seems SO obvious and I felt so silly that I had never thought of it before!

Ever had a "hair stupid moment"?

Fillette
June 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Me! me! me! I had a "hair stupid moment."

For some reason, there was a brief moment when the idea that a perm is "permanent" just did not hit home for me. I don't know what happened, I know better.

heidihug
June 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I've had many stupid hair moments. Let's see...how about when I found LHC and discovered that I could use my hairsticks for things other than holding a cinnabun in place? It never occurred to me to stick it behind a ponytail, for instance, and then wrap the hair around it. Duh.

Delenn
June 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Usually it involves wearing it down + walking in high wind conditions.

FrannyG
June 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Curlsgirl, with all the wisdom you gained and given since you've been at LHC, I think you're to be forgiven for not thinking up this one thing! :)

Islandgrrl
June 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Stupid hair moment....sometimes I think I have more of those than non-stupid hair moments....:wink:

AJoifulNoise
June 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Stupid hair moment....sometimes I think I have more of those than non-stupid hair moments....:wink:

Amen to that! :lol:

Euphony
June 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Ummmm yeah, but mine was a bit <ahem> severe...and I'm not sure if it was 'hair' stupid or just plain stupid and involved hair.

Before I started using hair soap regularly I was learning about it (yeah, duh right). Okay so I have my wonderful hair soap that I'm dying to try. I hate the smell of vinegar so I decide I'll try citric acid instead. I go in the kitchen, I have my measuring spoon, my citric acid, my pitcher and my water. I start with one tablespoon of citric acid, dump it in - then think hmmmm if a little is good, I bet a lot would be better - 2 more tablespoons.

I take my shower, I wash my hair, I fill my pitcher with 3 litres of water, I dump it over my head and immediately begin to scream. Hubby comes in, I'm red everywhere! He grabs shea butter, I take it and yell BAKING SODA! He gets the baking soda, we pour baking soda every where, smear shea butter everywhere. I was a half hour later to work and red for 5 hours.

The bad thing is, I make bath and body products - I should REALLY know better - live and learn. I won't go into when I turned myself green and stained my body pink. (that's why you always experiment on yourself first!).

spidermom
June 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I was reading a thread yesterday (can't remember which one) and someone mentioned a braided bun. She said she didn't tie the braid off before bunning. I thought, hmmmm, maybe if I did that then the band wouldn't show when I do my bun as I have trouble with sometimes. So I tried it today and ALAS it works! DOH!! Seems SO obvious and I felt so silly that I had never thought of it before!

Oh CG that's so funny because I've been trying to come up with a way to do a braided bun that is comfortable. I don't put a tie on the end, and by the time I've tried one or two variations on my theme, it's all loose at the nape and the braid is coming out. Yesterday I thought "ya know - dummy - if you put a tie on the end, at least the braid won't come out."

n3m3sis42
June 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Does attempting to oil my ends and somehow managing to get the oil all the way up to my roots *yet again* count as a "hair stupid moment"?

I didn't have time to wash it out before I had to leave for work. I bet there are people at my office who think I don't bathe (which is sad, because I bathe daily--I just don't bathe my HAIR daily, and it wasn't greasy before I *made* it that way with oil). Someday, I will learn to only oil my hair at night. :D

jojo
June 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I've had many stupid hair moments. Let's see...how about when I found LHC and discovered that I could use my hairsticks for things other than holding a cinnabun in place? It never occurred to me to stick it behind a ponytail, for instance, and then wrap the hair around it. Duh.

Oh my I thought this too, but sssshhhh I won't tell if you don't!;)

Nightshade
June 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Doing an ACV rinse and not diluting the damn ACV.

Realizing that slathering my hair with cones and then oiling it wasn't doing much without clarifying. :o

feralnature
June 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I had my BSL hair backcombed into dreadlocks and then cut them off to within 2-4 inches of my scalp one year later.

Not sure if it was stupid. Just something I did. Had I not done it, I would not have found this place and I would have continued to bleach and destroy the hair I had prior to dreads.

I was led here by my past.

DecafJane
June 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
"Hey, I can cut it short, it grows back!" Yeah, it does. But it takes A LOT OF TIME! Grrr. :(

Also, a note to my 17 year-old self: getting a bob when you have thick and wavy hair is a BAD idea. :p

Curlsgirl
June 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Franny dear you are so kind to make me feel better!!!

Spidermom, that really is TOO funny! I did my braid UNTIED today and it worked GREAT! LOL!

I love these stories!!! I DO feel better now! Hee hee!

Kiraela
June 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Whooboy. I can think of several hairstupid moments. Not the least of which was sitting in a hairdresser's chair and somehow acquiring a chin length bob. Me. A chubby, round faced, thick-n-wavy? AHHH. I have a photo around here somewhere from my school ID that year. (To be fair, I was only 15, and didn't realize how dumb it looked at the time, LOL)

BrianaFineHair
June 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Last Sunday morning, not washing all of the evo out of my hair; had to jump back in the shower - quickly. (late for church. my family was ready but I was not).

Oberon88
June 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Allowing my hair to get caught in armpits/doors/sweaters etc., so really, wearing it down all of the time......

Carina
June 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I have had alot of those CG.I have lost track of how many times I have looked at an updo and thought "how on earth did she do that".I really want to learn a new updo but I need pics to show me every step on how to make them.Hair stupid me:p.

Katurday
June 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM
"PIXIES ARE MUCH EASIER TO DEAL WITH THAN THIS WAIST LENGTH THICK VIRGIN STUFF!I THINK I'LL BLEACH IT TOO LALALALALA!"

The problem isn't a bad cut and heavy damage.
The problem is REPEATING THE BAD CUT, AND DYEING AND DYEING OVER AND OVER and being convinced it looked good.

There must be a god because of my coarse, damage resistant hair luck.

yldchyld
June 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
leaning over a fan with my hair down - freaking and then jerking back.

Wearing my hair in a pony tail while driving my convertible.

Not realizing I could get a straight perfect braid by simply turning my head upside down and braiding flipped over.

Blowing off combing my hair for three days (just clipping it up). I do this often and regret it every single time.

Smacking someone with my braid when I turn too fast. I guess that's more of a 'oops' than a 'duh'. Plus, it's kinda fun. :bigtongue:

Unzadi
June 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Not realizing I could get a straight perfect braid by simply turning my head upside down and braiding flipped over.

Oooh. Did not realize that until reading that right there. ::smacks self in forehead::

Actually thinking that riding in a top-down convertible with my almost waistlength hair loose and flying in the wind was an experience I had to try. Umm, no, it wasn't.

florenonite
June 11th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Not realising that I wouldn't get a twist in my braid if I start dutch braiding when I brought it over my shoulder rather than contorting my neck in an attempt to keep it straight.

Naluin
June 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Um, the time I decided to chemically straighten my hair over a bleach job. :rolleyes: That was stupid and horrific. I knew better, but I figured that if I messed up, I could just cut it off.

Well, I cut it off. That was the easy part. It's growing it back that's the issue. Oh well, you learn... eventually, right? :cheese:

Oh, and how about that bleach job? I decided that I wanted silver hair... except my hair is dark, dark brown, so I had to bleach it near white. My poor hair! But you know, I'd do that again, if I had really short hair that I planned on keeping short for a while. It was fun.

Phalaenopsis
June 11th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Okay, I'm still feeling hair stupid right now. :silly:

Can you really make a braided bun without tying of the end? How do you do it?

Tapioca
June 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
How about the time I went into the bathroom, got down my little toiletries bag, reached inside for the mirror, turned around, and looked straight into the back of my hairbrush? I was *trying* to get a look at the back of my head to check out the wavies, but a mirror works so much better for that kind of thing.

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Okay, I'm still feeling hair stupid right now. :silly:

Can you really make a braided bun without tying of the end? How do you do it?

All I did was just braid it all the way to the end and hold it tightly with two fingers on my left hand while I wrapped it around and tucked it in with the other hand. Then I secured it with a fork but you could use a scrunchy or fork. Mine held really well and I did it when my hair was straighter and slicker too. I tried to start the fork where I put it in close to where I tucked the ends in. I think that helps.

Euphony
June 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Oh holy hell! <wanders off to the back room to braid upside down for the first time>

yldchyld
June 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Oh holy hell! <wanders off to the back room to braid upside down for the first time>

Oooh. Did not realize that until reading that right there. ::smacks self in forehead::

Now you guys know how I felt when I learned that. Glad I could help.

How about the time I went into the bathroom, got down my little toiletries bag, reached inside for the mirror, turned around, and looked straight into the back of my hairbrush? I was *trying* to get a look at the back of my head to check out the wavies, but a mirror works so much better for that kind of thing.

haha! Been there, done that. Except it was the back of the mirror.

whiteisle
June 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM

This absolutely tipped over my tickle box! :rollin:

I can't wait to try that technique myself one day!

whiteisle
June 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
"Hey, I can cut it short, it grows back!" Yeah, it does. But it takes A LOT OF TIME! Grrr. :(

:p

I'm a member of this club, many times over! I've lost two $50 bets with my dad that I could grow my hair out to mid-back within some reasonable amount of time. Twice I've caved with money on the line. Man, I really believe the stuff grows back but I totally forget how loooooooong it takes! And I still owe my dad $100!:p

*note to self - offer triple or nothing this time*:cool:

SpiralingWaves
June 11th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Oh yes ... latest was wearing my hair down on a very windy day at the beach, with no back up hair accessories. I was trying to be, ahem, sexy for my husband. :o For the most part, DH did think it was ... but yeah ... I don't think I was too successful ... and it was not fun trying to get the knots out when we got back to the car. We had a great day and the beach was beautiful though. :grin:

Kiraela
June 13th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I cleaned the litterbox. My Hair was down.

Need I say more?

*makes a note to herself to keep a hairstick by the bathroom sink at all times, just in case. *

AnimaSola3o4
August 5th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Blowing off combing my hair for three days (just clipping it up). I do this often and regret it every single time.

I am SO guilty of this. In fact, I'm at that point right now where I'm feeling pretttttty regretful. Been sitting in a car for two days with the wind whipping my hair around too... der....

oh joy, off to detangle and braid. ;)

AnimaSola3o4
August 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM

me too! I've been asking both my mom AND my friend to do just a simple braid down my back for like weeks... both of them are like 'ahh i cant do that, its been SO long...' well duhhhhh. I'm actually about to try it too, course... gotta detangle the mess of my 3 day combing hiatus first.

ETA: OW OW OW OW, no. This did not work for me....at ALL. Somehow I have a very very looooooose braid with one super tight spot thats pulling at my scalp.

:( bummer. Well, I guess practice makes perfect huh?

LadyMoon11
August 5th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Plenty....
One example occurred on this very day. I was trying to vacuum my kitchen. I got impatient with my hair flopping in my face. The closest object that could be used to secure my hair was a rubber band from the morning newspaper. I used it :scared: You can guess as to my hair stupid moment results. So not worth it. :-(

Really... how lazy. I could have taken about 6 strides into the bathroom to get a scrunchie, a hair fork... hell, even a pencil! But no. I had to be lazy. :mad:

LadyMoon11
August 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Need I say more?

*makes a note to herself to keep a hairstick by the bathroom sink at all times, just in case. *
OH NO!!
:tbear:

dorothea-brooke
August 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Gah... gah....

OMG!

:doh:

kwaniesiam
August 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Dying my virgin, BSL hair jet black at age 13. And not knowing how to care for it, always ripping at it with a brush and never using conditioner. Then getting it STRIPPED and dyed red by a hair dresser, which started me into the evil world of repeated chemical use :rolleyes:

Slug Yoga
August 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM

Need I say more?

Ew! shudder:(<---I love this smiley so much.)

I have come so dangerously close to this myself. Long hair hanging over the litterbox... luckily it hasn't touched anything. Yet. It's just a good thing my hair isn't a bit longer.

I won't go into when I turned myself green and stained my body pink. (that's why you always experiment on yourself first!).

Are you SURE you don't want to go into that? Because it sounds like a great story! Come on, you know you want to get it off your chest! :eek:

Kiraela
August 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Next time I am half asleep, due to not sleeping two nights in a row(48+ hours awake is not good, I think)... and decide to wash my hair - and then think, "I'll save time by not combing the conditioner through!!"... my BF has permission to spank some sense into me.

Three HOURS of detangling, and I think I'm down to a ii now. I know I caused some pretty bad taper, for sure... and I was seriously careful. When I get tired, I get strangely focussed - I'll take the time to pick out a massive mat, hair by hair... and not notice that the phone is ringing three inches from my head. :/

on another note: my scalp still hurts, and that happened yesterday.

Elainehali
August 5th, 2008, 10:26 PM
when I was much younger and not so hair savy. I was bleaching streaks into my hair.

Seeing the orange stage scared me. I washed it out right then. It was horrilble patchy and orange.

I covered the mess with a brown crayola marker for 2 weeks before fixing it.

Calanthe
August 6th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I do have my moments. Knitting both yarn and hair is funny for people around me but not so funny to detangle without losing hair.

According to Homer Simpson it's no problem to tear out hair because "there's more where that came from". This is not actually true which I should really keep in mind.

A wooden hairstick in wet hair is not a good idea. Now I have a beautiful pink ivory hairfork with blackish stripes and spots. Doh!

Monsterkitti
August 6th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Deciding when I was about 15 that the best way to stop my hair being greasy was to wash It with the harshest shampoo avaliable and never use conditioner.

Wanting my brown hair all bright pink. Lots of at home bleach kits later I had to colour it brown again immediatly because it was bright yellow and patchy :/

Bleaching the ends and colouring them many different colours for over a year. Endined up snapping off in the end :(

Juanita
August 6th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Swimming with my hair loose. The knots and tangles. Especially after half an hour of laps.

JessTheMess
August 6th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Ummmm yeah, but mine was a bit <ahem> severe...and I'm not sure if it was 'hair' stupid or just plain stupid and involved hair.

Before I started using hair soap regularly I was learning about it (yeah, duh right). Okay so I have my wonderful hair soap that I'm dying to try. I hate the smell of vinegar so I decide I'll try citric acid instead. I go in the kitchen, I have my measuring spoon, my citric acid, my pitcher and my water. I start with one tablespoon of citric acid, dump it in - then think hmmmm if a little is good, I bet a lot would be better - 2 more tablespoons.

I take my shower, I wash my hair, I fill my pitcher with 3 litres of water, I dump it over my head and immediately begin to scream. Hubby comes in, I'm red everywhere! He grabs shea butter, I take it and yell BAKING SODA! He gets the baking soda, we pour baking soda every where, smear shea butter everywhere. I was a half hour later to work and red for 5 hours.

The bad thing is, I make bath and body products - I should REALLY know better - live and learn. I won't go into when I turned myself green and stained my body pink. (that's why you always experiment on yourself first!).
OMG Ouch!!!! At least you are okay now :( yikes

Hair stupid for me...
I naturally have dark brown almost black hair. The first time I decided to go lighter, I grabbed a box of DIY hair bleaching, rather than have it done professionally which is what I should have done. My hair turned out in orange, white, yellow, and red patches. It was horrible and I thought leaving it in longer would even it out. :smacks self in forehead:
Let's just say that my hair felt like mashed potatos when it was wet, and straw when it was dry

happymommy
August 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Not realizing I could get a straight perfect braid by simply turning my head upside down and braiding flipped over.:doh:

Umm...me and my current crooked braid will be right back...:run:

I love this forum. I learn new stuff every day.

bex487
August 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I still regret the day I decided I wanted really dark brown hair. I dyed it almost black (I should've gone in baby steps). I liked it for two months until it was fall and my skin became pale. Then I thought, "Oh, I'll just dye it back to blonde!" Yeah, it doesn't work that way. 2 applications of bleach, dye/toner later, my hair was really ravaged. I ended up cutting the damage off.

Curlsgirl
August 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I just had another one! I thought all of this time that Amish pins wouldn't work for me because I had tried them without success when my hair was about 22 inches long. I got some more and they are a LIFESAVER! They work like nothing I have ever used before!!! I can't believe I have gone all this time without them! :mad:

I love hearing all of these stories!

Chromis
August 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM
My hair stupids occur anytime I am lazy enough to not bother braiding my hair before bed. Oh the tangles! I know better, but every now and then...

Calanthe
August 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM
My hair stupids occur anytime I am lazy enough to not bother braiding my hair before bed. Oh the tangles! I know better, but every now and then...

Now, that sounds familiar, somehow :whistle:...the next morning I'm always asking myself: Will I ever learn?

Meli
August 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Something really stupid I did was to paint some wooden boxes - with my, at the time being, tailbone length hair in a low ponytail... :doh: Well, my hair got about three inches shorter that day, after cutting the paint away...

ColoradoDreamer
August 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
My hair stupids usually involve getting my hair too close to the whirring, spinning parts of mechanical gizmos. Like losing 6 inches from in front of my left ear to an Epilady back in 1989 - this was the original one that had the rotating metal coil in it. I was "shaving" with it and had stopped to examine my work without turning the thing off first and then holding it up next to my head.

The most recent one involved one of those little personal battery-powered fans. I was having a major hot flash the other day and tried to cool off the back of my head with it. I heard, "Bzzzzzzt!" and immediately thought, UH-OH . . . Fortunately, I only hit one of the fan blades against my head and no hair got caught. I also had my hair up in a bun that time and I think that helped a lot.

I think I may need to stay away from the whirring things . . .

atlantaz3
August 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Uh does realizing your hair is long enough to get caught under your arm pits and get deodorant on it count? Sorry for the yuck factor.
And I am also in the category of more stupid than smart hair decisions

Nevermore
August 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Assuming that the thicker, cloth covered, more hair-friendly elastics I have would be uncomfortable to use on a sleep braid instead of you know, TRYING it. Gah. I'm also too lazy at the moment to find another piece of ribbon to use for my braid and/or to try spidermom's ribbon+thin elastic braid tie off.

However, I'll be using those cloth covered elastics now for my sleep braid. And I will sleep braid every.night.from.now.on. I will, really. I will not lapse again. lol.

Country Cowcurl
August 7th, 2008, 12:18 AM
i, thankfully, was saved by a friend from having a hair stupid moment!! i was leaned over a couple of magazine pages i was cutting up to make a collage.....suddenly he screams at me "STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING, DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE!!" i look up at him quizzically until he runs over to move the 6" of hair i was about to snip off with the paper out of the way of the scissors. yeesh!

Sharon
August 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Me it was getting the big chop, when I was so close to my first goal of bsl.

Juanita
August 9th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Last night I sarted out with a chinese bun, but was at an outdoor film festival and the night was getting cold and only had a light silk velvet wrap., so let my hair down to fan around me.Hopped into my car to go home after. Gets home undos seatbelt and zap, hair goes with it. Ouch.

for braiding a straight braid I start it off standing up doing one or two rounds then I bend over to braid the rest. My hair is at 29 inches .
Juanita

rchorr
August 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Or (my fav) riding in the back of a pick up truck with my hair down. Not recommended!!

RCHORR'

Nyghtingale
August 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I had gone to the grocery store. Due to a prior stoopid moment I had that involved locking my keys in my trunk, I always place my keys on my seat while loading the trunk. Well, I was closing the trunk, and a wind (with an obvious sense of humor), blew my hair into the trunk. There I was in the parking lot, with my hair stuck in the trunk, and the keys in the car. I can still hear the laughter.
/sigh

ruby_tuesday
August 9th, 2008, 02:27 PM

2nd! + wearing sticky lip gloss to make the matters worse. :eek:

Shanarana
August 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Riding a motorcycle with my hair loose and whipping around.......not a good idea, I think it took me over 30 minutes to gently get the tangles out after a wash and condish.

Can't forget using deodorant without putting my hair back.

Eryka
August 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM
It must have been prophetic, me finding this topic. I was scouring this site for reasons why my normally oily scalp is dry enough to be flaking and itching, while my length is fraglie yet sticky. So while reading an article about protien and the havoc it can cause, I was gloating at how I threw out that protien-laden shampoo. That stuff made me so dry and itchy.

-Wait-

I'm dry and itchy now.

-Dashes to the bathroom to check conditioner bottle-

-Screams, waking up entire neighborhood-

Whey protien reconstructor

-Profusely apologizes to hair and scalp, taking back all the threats made earlier in the day-

Indigo Girl
August 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Does attempting to oil my ends and somehow managing to get the oil all the way up to my roots *yet again* count as a "hair stupid moment"?

I didn't have time to wash it out before I had to leave for work. I bet there are people at my office who think I don't bathe (which is sad, because I bathe daily--I just don't bathe my HAIR daily, and it wasn't greasy before I *made* it that way with oil). Someday, I will learn to only oil my hair at night. :D

LMAO - I just saw this; I do this all the time. I do wonder what people at the office think of me...

Sofoulee
August 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah, for about 6 years I thought my hair would only look good if it had blonde highlights...

I think it looks darn good dark! :cool:

skay
August 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Years ago, I also had a rough hair experience after riding on the back of a motorcycle.

It was my first ride and I wanted to feel the wind in my past-shoulder length hair.

All I remember is tangles in my hair for days after. I would slowly untangle a day at a time and tried using conditioner to get my hair slippery so I could get the tangles out.

All I could think was:

Now I know why motorcyclists wear bandanas on their heads. lol.

curly girl fla
August 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Velcro...holding my girls' dvd monitor to back of my carseat on my headrest...enough said...

Nyghtingale
August 9th, 2008, 10:49 PM
It must have been prophetic, me finding this topic. I was scouring this site for reasons why my normally oily scalp is dry enough to be flaking and itching, while my length is fraglie yet sticky. So while reading an article about protien and the havoc it can cause, I was gloating at how I threw out that protien-laden shampoo. That stuff made me so dry and itchy.

-Wait-

I'm dry and itchy now.

-Dashes to the bathroom to check conditioner bottle-

-Screams, waking up entire neighborhood-

Whey protien reconstructor

-Profusely apologizes to hair and scalp, taking back all the threats made earlier in the day-

hahaha. that's why I always wear my glasses while shopping. I have bought many shampoos thinking I had the shampoo & conditioner.

Slug Yoga
August 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I had gone to the grocery store. Due to a prior stoopid moment I had that involved locking my keys in my trunk, I always place my keys on my seat while loading the trunk. Well, I was closing the trunk, and a wind (with an obvious sense of humor), blew my hair into the trunk. There I was in the parking lot, with my hair stuck in the trunk, and the keys in the car. I can still hear the laughter.
/sigh

LOL! How'd you get out of that one?

Nyghtingale
August 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM
LOL! How'd you get out of that one?

I called out to a woman passing buy to get my keys and open the trunk for me. :o

Oldive
August 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
My hair stupid is from many many years ago, and probably is what stopped me from experimenting at all with my hair.

Mind you I was around 14 at the time, and didn't think this one through

I read that a part of the egg was really good for your hair.

And I thought "Hey! I'll try that" Gathered up about 6 eggs and dutifully seperated the yolk from the white.... And proceeded to smear the egg whites into my hair.

Rinsed it out, and it was glued to itself. Took a bottle of conditioner and my mom about 2 hours to detangle the whole thing.

The article I read had said yolks. >.<

crispycritters
August 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
When I was 18 years old I chopped my long hair into a pixie style, then i got sick of going to the hair stylist all the time to keep it up...so I shaved my head bald.. yea because that made sense.....enough said. I can't believe my now husband has stuck with me through that....twice...dont ask.

Solitude
August 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I called out to a woman passing buy to get my keys and open the trunk for me. :o

Yikes. Must have been ultra embarrassing.

Tisiloves
May 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Today I CO washed my face instead of my fringe :oops: it is soft tho.

ladylowtide
May 31st, 2012, 03:05 PM

THIS.

Now I have to put my hair into two long tasseled braids, and I only oil the tassel. That is the only way it doesn't end up creeping all the way up to my scalp :D

silverstars
May 31st, 2012, 05:14 PM
To 16 year old self: don't make the end of your layers flip out. Make them flip in. You will look like an idiot for two years.

Arashi
May 31st, 2012, 05:37 PM
I had an extremely stupid one recently: after having what I thought was an "allergic reaction" to indigo a few years ago(after being fine with it for a long time) when dying my hair I avoided the stuff and used only conventional dyes for all that time afterwards.

Then it dawned on me the other day that I had put cinnamon in it to subdue the smell. I had used cinnamon before for that purpose with success with henna, but the indigo is even stinkier than the henna, so I may very well have used more cinnamon..

Sure enough, I got ahold of some indigo and patch tested and no reaction. Glopped henndigo all over my head and again, no reaction. D'OH! :disgust:

Carissamarie08
May 31st, 2012, 05:39 PM
When I was a senior in highschool I thought it was a good idea to dye over the extreme use of sun in on my head and it fried my hair off. The whole top layer.

jacqueline101
May 31st, 2012, 07:13 PM
I don't know about hair stupid moments I have hair misbehaving. It wants to do what it wants to do.

julierockhead
May 31st, 2012, 08:58 PM
Thinking that the reason my long, smooth, healthy hair couldn't hold on to the light brown dye and always ended up faded in a few washes was because the conditioner was somehow dissolving it out. :crazyq: So, I stopped using conditioner. My hair became frizzy and dried, so I spent 60 bucks on a fancy blowdryer and a round brush, and tried to dry it straight. That didn't work very well, so I bought my first straightener! That I cranked up to the highest setting! Then I got a few highlights for summer. :brainbleach: Then, I got some more! :disgust:

After a few months of that, I had to cut the damage off, since it was breaking anyway. I went from waist to above shoulders.
*takes a bow*

GoblinTart
May 31st, 2012, 10:34 PM
Mine was rather recent, and pointed out to me by my dear dear husband.
Babe, I chopped 4 inches off my hair.

Why???

It was all damaged and not growing and my ends were scraggly, and I hate my layers.

You know, if you weren't S&D every evening, and trimming weekly, your hair would have grown.

I was not trimming that often.

Yes you were. And doing S&D every night did NOT help with your ends.

I did not trim weekly.

I have it marked on my calendar.

*facepalm* he was right. Sigh.....

GoblinTart
May 31st, 2012, 10:42 PM
To 16 year old self: don't make the end of your layers flip out. Make them flip in. You will look like an idiot for two years.

How about chin length bob, and flipped out ends. Mid 90s, it was totally stylin back then.

HintOfMint
June 1st, 2012, 12:55 AM
How about chin length bob, and flipped out ends. Mid 90s, it was totally stylin back then.

LOL, that was my senior high school portrait in 2005. Stylin' then too!

Zindell
June 2nd, 2012, 04:52 AM
I hate the smell of vinegar so I decide I'll try citric acid instead. I go in the kitchen, I have my measuring spoon, my citric acid, my pitcher and my water. I start with one tablespoon of citric acid, dump it in - then think hmmmm if a little is good, I bet a lot would be better - 2 more tablespoons.

I'm sorry but... :D :D :D

Long_hair_bear
June 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
Or that old person moment I have when I thought I put pins in a pretty finished updo, didn't, and let go......

In high school, at around 16, I dyed my hair black when I went through an " I wanna be Asian" phase. Yyyyyaaa black is never touching my hair again. It was nigh impossible to get out and in the end, they had to bleach my hair twice then dye it back brown. :rolleyes:

And when I cut my hair back to apl feb 2011..... Fail me!

SnowWhite
June 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
First deep treatment, before lurking at LHC :D

I thought it was a good idea to do a deep treatment with EVOO and Sesame oil. I put those two oils in a bowl and then put it in the microwave for 1 minute.
THAT SMELL! It smelled horrible! The sesame oil has a very strong scent...

So I applied it all over my hair: like half a bowl... And my hair was way shorter then, just reached shoulder length perhaps?
No wonder I had trouble rinsing it out. I shampoo'd like 7 or 8 times and I thought I would never get it out of my hair.

The next day my hair was really soft though... But I'm never going to do that again! I've become much wiser because of LHC (hopefully :D )

DarkCurls
June 2nd, 2012, 03:56 PM
I just spent five minutes figuring out how to put a plastic bag on my head. I was literally wrestling the thing over my hair when... I realised all I had to do was hold the bag open, bend over at the waist and let the hair fall into the bag, then flip back up and voilą.
Fail.

jasper
June 7th, 2012, 10:21 AM
This might be the thread for me today. I am taking grass burs out of my hair right now.

I washed my hair this morning and put it in a bun to keep the wet hair off my shirt. Later I felt like the bun was too tight so I took it down and left it loose. Then I took a stroll around my back yard and noticed a very tall weed that was going to seed and had been overlooked. I bent over and pulled it up and threw it out. An hour later I notice that in the process I let my loose hair snag all sorts of burs from that lawn weed.

dollyfish
June 7th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I just spent five minutes figuring out how to put a plastic bag on my head. I was literally wrestling the thing over my hair when... I realised all I had to do was hold the bag open, bend over at the waist and let the hair fall into the bag, then flip back up and voilą.
Fail.

OH GOD!!!!!

Is it bad that this post has finally taught me how to do this? That just...never occurred to me...

And on that note, I had no idea for the longest time that the trick to getting a good high ponytail was to flip upside down first! I've had short hair all my life and never learned these things as a child.

SerinaDaith
June 7th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Okay my absolute worst hair choice ever granted there have been many but this is the one that makes me really want to cry and beg the hair gods for a second chance... My hair is naturally a dark (mousy) brown with some sparkly silver here and there, I started dying it when I was 19 and always stayed pretty dark, dark browns, auburns and blacks. I never lightened my hair. EVER. I got married and my DH while we were shopping for dye and bleach my husband says why don't we bleach your hair too rather than dying it? So dumb me I say sure honey. So not only does the hair that has been dyed for quite a few years, I was at BSL at that point so we are talking serious build up of dye.
My hair was almost white at the roots which changed into kind of a burnt orange color which I could not for all the conditioner, oil or TLC in the world work a brush through. I would have kept the length if I thought for even a moment that I could with my tender scalp deal with the hour long conditioner slick hair brushing every day. I got out my husbands clippers and went to 1/4 inch of hair. Then I dyed it purple for the heck of it.

Vampyria
June 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Yes I did. I mixed yogurt in my cassia treatment today. And my hair hates protein! I just kind of forgot yogurt has it.:rolleyes: I have fuzzy, frizzy wire on my head now. :brickwall

Hollyfire3
June 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Yes I did. I mixed yogurt in my cassia treatment today. And my hair hates protein! I just kind of forgot yogurt has it.:rolleyes: I have fuzzy, frizzy wire on my head now. :brickwall

I've done that sort of thing many times....I repeat over and over to myself "no protein in DTs" and I STILL grab ones that say "repairing"..hopeless I tell, you i am hopeless!

door72067
June 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM

if it was my comment in the "braid" vs. "bun" thread, (as I do braid first, then bun and hold with a hairstick) I want to give *credit* to where I found out how to do it:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86621

sometimes I French braid, and sometimes I just English braid, but I never tie it off (although, when I first came across the tutorial, I did use an elastic on the end because my hair was a bit too short to hold properly if I didn't)

XcaliburGirl
June 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
I tried to make Kimberlily's de-frizz spray with coconut oil instead of jojoba. It was fine until I decided to store it in the refrigerator. It all clumped up.

Lady Neeva
June 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
My scalp demands washing every other day. If not, it starts raging. (ACV, tea rinses, nothing works except for cones)