PDA

View Full Version : Scalp exfoliation?

Loepsie
February 13th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Hello,
Recently I've been feeling like my scalp is in desperate need of exfoliation. I don't want to go into details on that (bit disgusting) but I assume it's mostly shampoo and dead skin buildup sitting on my scalp. Now I'm looking for a way to get rid of that that won't damage my hair, since scrubbing seems very harsh...
I've looked around a bit on the forum and found something about a sugar scrub, can someone please explain how exactly it's made?
Are there other ways of exfoliating the scalp?
Thank you! =)

DuckyDot
February 13th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I've used a sugar scrub! You use sugar (brown sugar is recommended but i've tried it with normal sugar too) and a conditioner. You mix them together and rub into the scalp. I'm not quite sure of how much of each to use, I just guessed! The first time I tried it I got great results but the second time not so much. Hope that helped!

Henrietta
February 13th, 2011, 05:20 AM
When I feel that I have a dead skin and products build up I just do a good scalp massage first. I'm sitting in front of TV watching a film or I am travelling around LHC. Little breaks when my hands hurt, then massaging again. In total I do this for two hours maybe... Seems weird, but when you're focused on doing something else you don't even notice that. Then I wash my scalp twice, instead of once,n(shampoo, rinse, shampoo, rinse) with good massaging too, and I keep the shampoo on my hair a little bit longer than usual (which means about 5+ minutes instead of 2;) )
I hope that will help. My scalp feels clean after that. No clarifying products, no mechanical scrub if you don't like the sugar idea.
:)

enfys
February 13th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I read in a beauty magazine that you can use a regular body scrub to exfoliate your scalp. I can think of few hair tips that sound more painfull! I would try massage as a first option too. Snowymoon has a great method in the archives that was used by those doing NW/SO.

Henrietta
February 13th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Well, personally I wouldn't go for body scrub for hair. Maybe it's just me but it dries my skin as... And it's not even about the mechanical scrubbing. Sometimes I don't even massage my skin too much. The gel itself is horrible in any body scrub I've had. So... it could damage hair. I'd rather choose sugar+conditioner option if massage and good washing won't work.

Loepsie
February 13th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Thanks =)
I'll try the massage, and if that doesn't work I'll try the sugar scrub ^-^

Anywhere
February 13th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I use coconut oil and brown sugar, basically the same way as one would use the conditioner/brown sugar scrub. It smells good, and is edible. :D

ravenreed
February 13th, 2011, 07:28 AM
When my scalp gets build up, I do an oil scalp massage. I use castor oil mixed into either coconut or camellia oil and add a few drops of rosemary essential. I usually do it when I am otherwise doing a heavy oiling so I just massage it in to the scalp, let it sit for about 20 or 30 minutes and then use the CO method to get it out again. I take time to CO twice to make sure my hair isn't greasy looking afterwards and finish it with an ACV rinse.

For some reason, the scalp oiling along with the massaging seems to break up all the buildup and gunk that is sitting on my scalp and helps everything calm down. HTH!

cinemax
February 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to try the conditioner/brown sugar. Thanks girls!!:cool:

LovelyL
February 13th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I actually end up washing my hair not so much because of the greasies, but much more because my scalp has a load of dead skin build up. I'm pretty sure it's not dandruff as it's not itchy or anything...

Basically I wash my hair after a mermaid soak in the bath and I feel the soak helps remove the gunk on my scalp. Hey if it helps the rest of my skin it can't be bad for my head :)

uwodahikamama
February 13th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Something else to consider from time to time.... I love everything from Morocco method and they have some scalp detox formula for sale.... it helps remove minerals, buildup, and detoxes the body! Its wonderful you should give it a try!

Kat
February 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I have one of these. (http://www.sallybeauty.com/scalp-massager/SBS-334010,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH) I use it before I wash my hair. Not sure if it does much, though (seborrheic dermatitis, so even if it takes a lot off, there's still a lot left, to be gross but truthful about it). But for just a bit of buildup, it would probably do fine.

Roscata
February 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
You might want to check out these threads: Scalp sugar scrub? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41322&highlight=scalp+scrub) and Scalp Scrub recipes? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40489&highlight=scalp+scrub)
Good luck! :D

Charlotte:)
February 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I recently did a scalp scrub with a mixture of honey and brown sugar. It worked quite well, and I don't think it was damaging because I didn't shed any more than usual in the shower :)

missfortune9335
February 13th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I use brown sugar and a mixture of my favorite oils, coconut and jojoba. Either way, if you use conditioner or oil, don't use too much or the sugar will dissolve. Then I scrub, scrub, scrub and CO the oil out. It works great!

cinemax
February 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I did a sugar conditioner scrub after reading about it here and it worked great for me. Did it two days ago and my scalp still feels good.

RadiantNeedle
February 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I use something similar to what Kat posted, one of these (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tSLxCv1c32M/TEUPWjeymeI/AAAAAAAABXA/Y8fRBzmx8W8/s1600/1188368204-55163_full.jpg) thingers. I gently place it on my head and massage in small circles, then lift it up and put it an inch or so over, so I can gradually work over my whole scalp without dragging it through my hair.
It's great for dandruff and sebum build up and just for stimulating massage in general.
I've never tried a conventional scrub on my scalp because I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to wash it out properly!

lpsqt60
February 15th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I just use a fine toothed horn comb and scritch my scalp all over with it, not too hard, but it really does the job and my scalp feels refreshed and tingly.

abbatabba1137
February 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I recently did a scalp scrub with a mixture of honey and brown sugar. It worked quite well, and I don't think it was damaging because I didn't shed any more than usual in the shower :)

When doing this(honey and sugar scrub), do you wet the scalp first? Or just apply dry???

Charlotte:)
February 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
When doing this(honey and sugar scrub), do you wet the scalp first? Or just apply dry???

I wet my scalp first :)

McFearless
February 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
runny cone-free condish + sugar or oil + sugar.

You can also oil your scalp and massage it with your fingers to loosen the dead skin cells.

Panth
February 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I just did (or rather got DBF to do on me!) a sugar scrub - table sugar (since that is all we had) + melted coconut oil massaged into the scalp for most of an episode of Sharpe. :P

Absolutely fantastic.

Only thing I can recommend people is that (especially if you have MBL+ hair) you do it somewhere easy to clear up. I still have gobs of sugar dried into my dressing-gown and there was MASSES all over the floor where I'd been sat ... which got on our feet, which got tracked around the entire flat last night. I spent ages this morning sweeping and it's lucky we don't have carpets or a fabric-covered sofa...
Maybe I just put too much sugar in and not enough oil?

stkl
February 23rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
sounds good, does anyone know if you do this on wet or dry hair? presumably if you use oil you do this before you shampoo right?

Vanilla Mint
February 24th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I generally put a cheap cone-free conditioner on my scalp while it is wet (in the shower), and then I spend a good five minutes just scratching my scalp. Sometimes I even turn the water off and sit on the edge of the tub.

Vanilla Mint
February 24th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Wait... Loepsie? Goodness, your are one of my favorite beauty gurus! Now I feel like a silly fangirl. *^-^*

CrystalStar
February 25th, 2011, 02:55 AM
When I feel my scalp is a bit gross feeling I find a good scritch with my nails does the job, and it feels good! You can always just wash your hands :) Then shower and your scalp should feel soft and lovely!

milagro
February 25th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I don't have flakes now that I CO but I use a scalp massager/scrubber every other time I wash my hair and love the super-clean, skin-breathing feeling it gives. It doesn't tangle nor pull hair. The key is press it gently and not to move it much in each section, just do small semi-circular strokes.

stkl
February 25th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I generally put a cheap cone-free conditioner on my scalp while it is wet (in the shower), and then I spend a good five minutes just scratching my scalp. Sometimes I even turn the water off and sit on the edge of the tub.

thank you :)