PDA

View Full Version : The Longer the More Tangles. Please Help.

Cosmicfish
February 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM
So, I'm desperately trying to grow out my hair, but after a horrible hair cut it is now seeming hopeless and spiraling out of control. So here's the story. I had a friend of mine, thanks to parents not wanting me to cut my hair (since I've been doing it for 3 years), but I let a friend cut my hair, and she butchered it, literally, giant cunk missing which she called a ''layer'' and all. But Cest la vive.
Anyways, it is not bra strap length and the longer it is this length it continually gets more and more tangled, I pretty much have to brush it over 25 times a day otherwise my hair is a complete and tangled mess. I think part of it might be my shampoo since now for some reason when I wash my hair it never feels clean, and I don't go sulfate or cone free yet. So what can I do to remove build-up, soften my hair, and help it repair itself and make it healthy?
I know this is long and I do apologize for it's length and thank you for your time
Also:
What silicone free shampoos and conditioners could I buy at Walmart? Thanks to my itty bitty town being destroyed by the super-store it is the only place here I can get hair products.

Lostsoule77
February 13th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Have you tried clarifying? I'm new around here so I'm not 100% sure, but I think that is a good place to start. You might have to do it a couple of times. I use Neutrogena, but there are others out there.
Does anyone else with more experience have some tips for her?

dancingunicorn
February 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Hey, I know exactly what you mean because this has happened to my hair before. You should try clarifying it by mixing a bit of baking soda (maybe 1 teaspoon or less) with your shampoo and washing your hair with it. This removes the buildup and will make your hair soft and shiny :) And don't forget to condition it after. Also, I don't know if you have a store called Lush near where you live, but it has amazing natural products that will not leave a buildup on your hair and they also make it look healthier and smell great :D I hope this helped a bit, good luck!

AnnaJamila
February 13th, 2011, 10:59 AM
You could try conditioner only washing- it's surprising but it really does clean your scalp, cut oil production and frizz, pretty much wipe out tangles and keep your hair soft and shiny. I love it! Every once and a while I feel the need to clarify with a little shampoo, but CO keeps my hair clean and happy for the most part!

Also the scissors could have been dull and created split ends. Take a peek at your hair in some bright light and try a little "search and destroy" mission to see if that helps.

Kat
February 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I think some hair is just prone to it. Mine, for example. I never wear my hair down, in part because it gets in the way, and in part because it just doesn't stay looking good.

If what everyone else is suggesting doesn't work, you may just have "difficult" hair and will have to work on trying to be gentle to it.

vanillabones
February 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Even when I had APL virgin hair my hair was always tangly too, it's just the way my hair is.

My hair loves sulfate it makes me feel really clean but when I use a clarifying shampoo I have a Fekkai balancing one, it feels great. I'm new and don't know about scalp help but I'm sure lots of threads on here can help with you feeling cleaner :P

I've decided to stop using cones and my hair likes it. I'm using Treseme Naturals Silicone-free volumizing conditioner at the moment. I really like it, don't buy the shampoo though I think I remember reading the bottle in the store and it had cones O_o ironic. Also in the shower maybe bring in a wide tooth comb with you and carefully comb through before rinsing it off.

CurlyZ
February 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hello Cosmicfish,
I am new here too and started my new hair care routine a month ago. I use:
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo (CVS)
Tresemme Naturals Low Sulfate Shampoo (CVS)
Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free Conditioner (CVS)

I used the clarifying shampoo just once.
My hair was more tangled than ever. Like a birds nest.
Then I put a HUGE amount of conditioner in.
It took forever to detangle, but was fine afterwards.
Since then I use the low sulfate shampoo and every other time I just co wash.
My hair feels better. Less damaged.
Good thing about Tresemme: it is really cheap. If your hair doesn’t like it, it’s not a big waste of money.

tinywife
February 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM
The really cheap conditioners often don't have cones. I use V05 from Wal-mart, and it works great.

Roscata
February 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your hair troubles.
I agree with the others and think you should definitely clarify your hair click here (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/) for instructions on how to do that, or you could use a clarifying shampoo (it will say on the bottle that it is such shampoo) Vo5 has one (VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifing Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Shampoo) if you're looking for a more affordable option.
If tangling is a constant issue you might want to consider a leave-in conditioner or a thicker conditioner than what you have. If you haven't already you should visit the Hair Care (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=2) category in the article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php) section.
Lots of luck in your hair journey and I hope you find a solution to your problem. :D

Chamy
February 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Welcome to LHC CosmicFish!
As some have already mentioned, Clarifying is a good place to start.
But like Kat and a lot of people, i too have tangle prone hair, if i wear it loose it tagles. I just learned to untangle carefully, take my time and when i come across a tangle i take that section and look at it, it is always a bent hair there causing the tangle. So i just cut that hair/hairs off, it gets better the more of the bent hairs i cut out.
Other than that i almost always wear my hair up, and i have learned to do updos that suit me, are comfortable and protecting.
Good luck!