PDA

View Full Version : Even my braids are tugging now....what's up with that?

shikara
February 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
So I wore a single braid for about 8 years with no problem. Then I experimented with updos - I can shape them easily enough but they ALWAYS tug in small different areas NO MATTER WHAT I USE to anchor it, even if they don't settle down my head (which they pretty much always do). So I wanted to go back to the single braid and guess what - tugging! I can identify the three areas and have tried so many different ways to 'manipulate' the hair to avoid it but it's just not working. I don't get it. What's going on? I was braiding just like I used to. It's made me run out of ways to do my hair (other than wearing it down - which isn't a good idea, believe me) and I'm feeling a little desperate (well, stressed anyway). Maybe this is just a rant but if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

skydancer7
February 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hi! How much longer is your hair now, compared to when you used to braid it? Could it just be the extra weight of the hair?

Or, if you are like me and have a sensitive scalp, updos are uncomfortable no mater what.

Good luck! Hope someone else has some ideas for you!

shikara
February 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM
My hair is two inches longer than it was then. And about sensitive scalps - I have been wondering the same thing. Perhaps it isn't tugging to the point that it is more 'damaging' than for those who don't feel the tug but the sensitivity makes it feel that way???? Or do I need to ditch the secured styles and wear it loose (which of course causes tangles). I recently read a post from someone who said their hair tangles so much, they were wondering if it was really worth all the effort. That's how I've been feeling these last few months but I have never felt that way before. Even ponytails drag my hairs down. I hate to say it but I wonder if I should start applying styling products to try to avoid tugs on updos. I don't know....

Night_Kitten
February 13th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Perhaps your'e just alittle out of practice, try to do the braid several more times to see if you can do it in a way that doesn't tug, maybe your hands will "get back" to the way you did it before you started experimenting with different updoes?
Or you could try doing the braid while the hair is damp, for some reason I find it easier to do a more comfortable braid when my hair is damp or oiled

Anje
February 13th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Is this something that's been going on for a while, or is it a new problem? I have days when all hairstyles seem to pull, and nothing seems to not hurt my scalp. Letting it just be down helps a bit, though washing seems to be what really resets my scalp when it gets angry. You might want to give it a good wash and see if your hair behaves better after that. Otherwise, try sectioning your hair differently for a braid (say, parting in a (Y) shape, or ponytailing the hair and then braiding).