PDA

View Full Version : How's my progress?

kristymarie87
February 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Hi

I joined in April 2010 so not long and i will have been here a year, however, i couldnt wait that long to post this!!

So here is my beginning pic-

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/123456.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/Picture0183.jpg

And here is now-

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/Bexley-20110212-00291.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/Bexley-20110212-00327.jpg

I guess it could have been longer but i have been getting a trim every 9 weeks (i have given up until july now!) and am still straightening once per week but now on the lowest heat. My hair loves SLS and cones. I do aim to give up the heat when it gets a bit longer but at the moment i need the heat to tame it whilst at this unruly length!

I can wait till APL!!!

CastaDiva
February 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Congratulations on your great progress:) I`m a frequent trimmer and cone-lover as well:) Your hair is beautiful and the side parting looks very nice on you:) Hope you don`t mind me saying this but you really look like a model in that last picture:)

rena
February 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
The third one down looks a bit dark, but judging from the last one, you're coming along wonderfully! I wish I could achieve that much growth in that amount of time :)

kanzer
February 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
You're doing really well! I think you're just about passing that awkward length where it doesn't seem to be growing at all for months and then it suddenly looks much longer. It looks very healthy too!

What do you do when you don't straighten it? Do you blow dry? I've stopped blowdrying and I've been trying to give up straightening but every now and then I just crack and straighten my fringey bits, I hate it when they go all frizzy!

Fufu
February 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Great growth and your hair looks very healthy.

Red_Wednesday
February 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Nice progress!! Congratulations - it looks very pretty!!

Anywhere
February 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Congratulations. I think its good progress. :D

I think the trims helped with the overall full appearance of the hair and were a good thing (says the girl who hasn't trimmed more than 5 times in the past two years and has depressingly thin ends to prove it. :o), you and your hair look great!:cheese:

kristymarie87
February 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM
The third one down looks a bit dark, but judging from the last one, you're coming along wonderfully! I wish I could achieve that much growth in that amount of time :)

I dont feel like its that much!! I mean, if i could quit everything and stop trimming so much it would be so much longer!

You're doing really well! I think you're just about passing that awkward length where it doesn't seem to be growing at all for months and then it suddenly looks much longer. It looks very healthy too!

What do you do when you don't straighten it? Do you blow dry? I've stopped blowdrying and I've been trying to give up straightening but every now and then I just crack and straighten my fringey bits, I hate it when they go all frizzy!

Thanks! Its still just in the flippy stage and growing my layers is taking forever! Its not healthy i dont think....i see these lil bits sticking up all the way through the length that annoy me! Im not sure if its breakage or new growth!

Sunday to friday i air dry it (most of the time but its really cold so sometimes i blowdry) and time it back at night, then tidy it in the morning and wear it up. I use heat for a night out (which isnt that often, and on a Saturday since i want to wear my hair down.

I think until i get it past this flippy stage and at a stage where my hair looks wavy instead or having one random kink here or there i will still blow dry and straighten when i do. But once i can get up and go without it looking like i've been dragged through a hedge backwards, i will give up altogether!

Its worth stunting the growth for it to look tidy to me. If my hairs a mess i feel a mess and my confidence goes.....so i need the heat at the moment!

kanzer
February 12th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Tell me about it. I'm trying to stop heat styling but my hair hasn't made up its mind whether it's straight or curly - it's in between most days with a lot of frizz - and heat styling was great for getting it to behave. Now I wash it every other day, let it air dry (or do a bit of damp bunning/plaiting while I wait) and then use coconut oil to tame the frizz. That really works but I have to have it on hand all the time.

Last night I cracked and straightened my fringe, which is around chin length now (SO much more manageable, when it was the length yours is it just WOULD NOT lie flat!), and it just looked and felt fantastic, I wish there was some way to make it do that without using heat!!

Anyway I think yours looks great and you'll be at the length where you can leave it down without straightening soon I think! :)

elaiesusandavie
February 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
It looks absolutely brilliant Well done!

MrsGuther
February 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Very pretty! Nice growth too. :)

JulietCapulet
February 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Oooo nice progress!

Mesmerise
February 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Your hair's looking good! Despite your use of heat it doesn't look too damaged (I still straighten mine for going out because it really doesn't look good otherwise), so you're doing really well.

If you want faster growth, try cutting back a bit on the trims... instead of every 9 weeks, try and go 12 weeks and see how you go. Those three extra weeks will end up making a lot of difference over the long term if you're only getting the same amount cut off each time (it would end up being the equivalent of about 3 months of extra growth you're NOT cutting off if you can leave just those extra few weeks between trims).

enfys
February 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Are you trimming so much for a reason? It sounds like that might be what's working against you gaining faster. Unless you are trimming off severe damage I bet you could stretch it a little longer.

That said, you still got great growth so the trims must have been small. At your length, I say use heat wisely, like the way you dropped the temperature. Get through annoying stages however you must!

arc691
February 16th, 2011, 04:10 AM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/More%20Smilies/AwesomeSmiley.gif

Congratulations on your progress!! Your pictures to-date look wonderful!

spitfire511
February 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I agree that your pics look great! I also completely understand needing to 'like' the look of your hair while it's growing. Good luck with holding out on those trims until July!

bunzfan
February 16th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Your hair has grown a lot considering you have it trimmed every couple of months. What's the reason for using dryers/straighteners if you don't mind me asking? if your hair is wavy/curly it could really pretty just air dried.

I used to cut every 8 weeks to and since i have stopped my hair has grown loads, anyway it looks great:D

BrightEyes
February 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM
You're making great progress!

I am also trying to quit heat styling but haven't been able to do it cold turkey. Like you I heat style on the weekends when I have somewhere nice to go (which is just about every weekend, so it's once a week for me). During the week I either wear my hair in its weird/waviness or put it up and try to forget about it. But I start to get really bothered with my hair if it's up all the time. Weird, I know. Hopefully as it gets longer and I can do more with it I'll be more excited about putting it up lol.

I've also been trimming every 8-9 weeks. I've been considering stretching trims out but I also have highlights, so I'm worried about the ends looking too ratty. So, yup I'm gaining length VERY slowly.:rolleyes: But you really have made great progress. Your hair is looking very lovely!!:)

FluffSpider
February 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Hmm. You could try getting it tamed with a blowfryer and a brush-BBB on my wet hair+blowdryer from a high angle makes mine look almost straightened.
Or then again, you could spritz some condish diluted with water in the evening, make a little bun, and get bun curls. At that length, they would be spiral-y, and look great on half-ups. Dear Lord, I miss feeling my head light and getting curls that STAY and using all sorts of cute hair toys that aren't hard to find

KittyLost
February 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Great progress, I love the brown colour!!

kristymarie87
February 16th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Your hair's looking good! Despite your use of heat it doesn't look too damaged (I still straighten mine for going out because it really doesn't look good otherwise), so you're doing really well.

If you want faster growth, try cutting back a bit on the trims... instead of every 9 weeks, try and go 12 weeks and see how you go. Those three extra weeks will end up making a lot of difference over the long term if you're only getting the same amount cut off each time (it would end up being the equivalent of about 3 months of extra growth you're NOT cutting off if you can leave just those extra few weeks between trims).

Thanks, i've actually been cutting back gradually from every 4 weeks and have decided to go until July without any trims! Its my birthday in August so why not treat myself?!

Are you trimming so much for a reason? It sounds like that might be what's working against you gaining faster. Unless you are trimming off severe damage I bet you could stretch it a little longer.

That said, you still got great growth so the trims must have been small. At your length, I say use heat wisely, like the way you dropped the temperature. Get through annoying stages however you must!

I was trimming alot because i was using more heat when i started and have gradually cut down and now i have cut down the trims. I hope to do 6 months with no trims and look at my progress then! The were only micro trims and trimming the layers so its not been too bad.

Your hair has grown a lot considering you have it trimmed every couple of months. What's the reason for using dryers/straighteners if you don't mind me asking? if your hair is wavy/curly it could really pretty just air dried.

I used to cut every 8 weeks to and since i have stopped my hair has grown loads, anyway it looks great:D

I'm not sure if i have waves or not (its never been wavy before) and i have tried scrunching which failed and plopping which also failed. But if i just air dry it looks a mess! And i have gone a few months without any heat and could not deal with feeling messy - i tie it up all week so its nice to make an effort on a Saturday!

Hmm. You could try getting it tamed with a blowfryer and a brush-BBB on my wet hair+blowdryer from a high angle makes mine look almost straightened.
Or then again, you could spritz some condish diluted with water in the evening, make a little bun, and get bun curls. At that length, they would be spiral-y, and look great on half-ups. Dear Lord, I miss feeling my head light and getting curls that STAY and using all sorts of cute hair toys that aren't hard to find

It never goes straight! Just frizzes up even with serums and leave-ins. My layers prevent me from bunning, i have tried doing to buns but ended with wacky curls/waves that just looked a mess! I hope once the layers grow it will work!

Great progress, I love the brown colour!!

Thank you :D It was red, but its faded. I do aim to do it red again though.