PDA

View Full Version : Would adding honey to shampoo be at all beneficial for scalp?

Charlotte:)
February 11th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I have heard of people doing this, but wouldn't the shampoo just cancel out it's moisturizing effects by washing it out while you were using it? (I guess this could apply to hair also.)

Katze
February 12th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I don't think so.

Honey plus conditioner is a good idea; I sometimes use this as a CO or in a CWC wash.

NouvelleNymphe2
February 12th, 2011, 03:42 AM
i really like adding honey to my CO and CWC. not in the bottle though. i mix it in a glass and use immediately. i read a post where someone left it mixed in their conditioner for awhile and the honey + water turned into mold. eek! i have never added it to my poo so idk what moisturizing effect if any it would have. although i don't think it would be bad for your hair.

born_confused90
February 12th, 2011, 03:44 AM
i've applied honey to my wet hair length as a pre-shampoo treatment a few times and it's been beneficial for me in that it tames my hair and frizz plus makes it shiny. I don't know if applying honey directly to the scalp will do anything special, although it is a ... Argh! Can't remember the word: anti... What's the word for germ killing?
It would probably be quite soothing but honey can be quite difficult to wash out, that's why i always apply it to wet hair now.

milagro
February 12th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I agree, rather add it to your conditioner. Mixing it with shampoo seems like waste of honey, IMO, for you don't keep poo on your hair, do you?
I do DT with honey, olive oil and banana about twice a month. Highly recommend if you hair needs moisture!

born_confused90
February 12th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I agree, rather add it to your conditioner. Mixing it with shampoo seems like waste of honey, IMO, for you don't keep poo on your hair, do you?
I do DT with honey, olive oil and banana about twice a month. Highly recommend if you hair needs moisture!

that sounds brilliant! What are the quantities you use please?

milagro
February 12th, 2011, 04:58 AM
that sounds brilliant! What are the quantities you use please?

My ratio is one jar of banana baby food, 1 table spoon oil + 1 tbsp honey. Mix it well , apply on wet hair, cover with plastic cap and a tight head band (the concoction is runny!), a thick cotton or wool bonnet/wrap over it all and let sit for an hour or so. Make sure to add some heat, it helps penetration and prevents hair lightening (I found here honey can do that in duo with water at room temperature). HTH :)

born_confused90
February 12th, 2011, 05:09 AM
yay! Thanks for sharing, i can't wait to try it although i think i'll be using a whole blended banana in place of the jar(i don't think i've ever seen banana baby food). I learnt that last month also, but i keep on forgetting to use heat!

milagro
February 12th, 2011, 05:19 AM
yay! Thanks for sharing, i can't wait to try it although i think i'll be using a whole blended banana in place of the jar(i don't think i've ever seen banana baby food). I learnt that last month also, but i keep on forgetting to use heat!
I didn't try mashed banana myself but I read horror stories :D about people trying to get rid of banana chunks in their hair. So I do advise using babyfood, almost any brand has it, I buy Gerber. Or pick a very ripe banana and strain it very very VERY well! :disco:

pariate
February 12th, 2011, 06:09 AM
I'm inclined to believe that any extra moisturising ingredients (honey, oil, conditioner) added to the shampoo will act as a buffer to the detergents, thus making it gentler on your hair... But I'm not a scientist, so I could be way off! It just seems that anything that isn't a detergent/similar that is added to a shampoo will reduce the overall percentage of detergents/similar in the finished mix. E.g. say your shampoo is 40% detergents - you take 50ml shampoo (40% = 20ml detergents/similar) and add 10ml oil/honey, the final mix will be 60ml, 20ml of which will still be detergents/similar, but overall the percentage of detergents is reduced to 33%.

Does that make sense?

Charlotte:)
February 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I'm inclined to believe that any extra moisturising ingredients (honey, oil, conditioner) added to the shampoo will act as a buffer to the detergents, thus making it gentler on your hair... But I'm not a scientist, so I could be way off! It just seems that anything that isn't a detergent/similar that is added to a shampoo will reduce the overall percentage of detergents/similar in the finished mix. E.g. say your shampoo is 40% detergents - you take 50ml shampoo (40% = 20ml detergents/similar) and add 10ml oil/honey, the final mix will be 60ml, 20ml of which will still be detergents/similar, but overall the percentage of detergents is reduced to 33%.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, that makes sense to me! I mean, if you can dillute shampoo with water, why not with honey? At least it wouldn't be too liquidy to get a good lather like when it's dilluted with water.