PDA

View Full Version : Essential hair toys?

jenjen10
February 11th, 2011, 12:39 PM
So, I have decided to treat myself with some of my tax refund money since I have lost all but one set of hair sticks (see how I can rationalize this?? LOL)

I need recommendations on what hair toys (and where to order them from) to get to have the most styling options. For reference, I have BSL, wavy, thick hair.

I also want to find a good wooden comb and some oils (sweet almond, etc) so if anyone can recommend where to look online for those, I would appreciate it!

I saw the links under the conventional hair toys thread but was sort of overwhelmed by all of the links!

McFearless
February 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I say you should go back on the conventional products board and look through the threads titled "_____ from etsy" or any specific type of hair toy or seller. You'll get a feel of how different hair toys perform and click the links to a seller's shop. Look at a user's hairtype and compare it to your own. I think hair type doesn't matter but if your hair is BSL you'll need a shorter stick than say someone with tailbone length hair. It all comes down to your style and what types of toys you personally like.

As far as a good wooden comb a lot of people like the body's shop wooden comb. I believe its less than 10$. Someone mentioned its a good idea to look at them in person to look out for rough edges. I've never used it personally so I can't give my opinion but the search bar could be helpful.

For oils check out food markets and gorcery stores in your area. Coconut, grapeseed, sesame and hazelnut oil are all found in the cooking oil section. Wal Mart has them also.

Chamomile betty
February 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Invest in a Ficcare Maximus. I have had mine for about five years. It is my go to hair toy for undos and I would not be without it.

Hth

CariadA
February 11th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I love my Body Shop wooden comb!

And I got 4 sets of beautiful hairsticks from Icing by Claire's at my local mall. They were all around $4 a pair.

Juneii
February 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
second the ficcare suggestion, I also would suggest getting a flexi-8, a 2 or 3 prong hair fork, and a pair of nice hair sticks.
hair oils will depend on different hair types and your preference.

McFearless
February 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
And I got 4 sets of beautiful hairsticks from Icing by Claire's at my local mall. They were all around $4 a pair.

Same here. I've had them for so many years and they still work great. Inexpensive, cute, and effective.

Lianna
February 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Where I live there's a lot of hair toy stores, they have variety and aren't expensive. They do not have forks though, only downside...so I bought some online, just to see what they're like, same with flexis. My favorite are still sticks. Since you're asking for the basics, I don't think you need $60+ forks/sticks/whatever. Can you look around near your house/city? Will probably be cheaper than etsy. But if you wanna spend the money go ahead.

meowmeow
February 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I think hair scroos/spin pins are a good basic to have, if you ever want to put your hair up with out any adornment. :)

patienceneeded
February 11th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I have totally fallen in love with the Flexi8. I had never heard of it before joining LHC in December and now I have 4. Well, I have 2. I just ordered 2 more...I don't HAVE them yet. =] Go to the flexi8 website (I just googled it) and check them out. Very cool.

I second (or third?) going to a Claires or Icing at the mall...lots of cheap but nice hairsticks. I have some that I have had for YEARS and they're still holding strong. They often have sales (Buy one get one 1/2 off) so you can get quite a bit. If you're just trying out sticks it might be nice to get some cheaper ones first.

A hair fork is good too. I have a few that I have collected over time.

jeanniet
February 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I second the Ficcare Maxima; they're great for thick hair. Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd add a couple of nice hairsticks and a fork. The hairtoy addicts thread in the Conventional forum is a good place to get ideas on different hairtoy makers. Have fun!

frizzinator
February 11th, 2011, 09:32 PM
If you actually go through the entire list in the hair toy link thread, you will be able to eliminate a lot those sources and the resulting smaller list will not be so overwhelming.

Shermie Girl
February 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I third the Ficcare. I love mine. They are versatile and beautiful. They hold an updo like iron and they are comfortable. My Ficcares are my go to hairtoy. :D

Yamainu
February 14th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I don't think claire's or icing sells hairsticks anymore... at least, the ones around me don't.

I'd get a really simple single hairstick that will go with everything - a nice wood or black one, (I use this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/53802300/handcrafted-wooden-hair-sticks-rhythm but in a darker wood). It really nice to have a go to stick to use one your favorite one-stick styles (such as the nautilus, lazywrap, whatever) so you can throw it up and have it look nice without really messing with it.

Then I'd get a pretty pair of sticks, something a little fancier, again, that goes with most everything you own. Nightblooming and Ravenslair on etsy are both favorites of mine, but just searching etsy for "hairsticks" will get you every style and price range under the sun. Feel free to go fancy one these.

I'd also get a flexi (my new fave), and probably a ficcare (I haven't got one, but they have a lot of recommendations).

That should cover you for updoes.

Non-updos: A silk pillowcase is a must (Dharma Trading Co. has one for about ten bucks that's divine). This is essential for keeping your hair tangle free, even oiling, and feeling like royalty!

A wooden or horn comb (I'm in the market for one of these right now) will be good for helping spread oil. The body shop wooden and Heavenly Harvest horn combs are both recommended a lot here. Neither can get wet though, so you'll want a plastic widetooth to use on wet hair - make sure it's seamless. I just got a cheap one from my grocery store and sanded the seams down, but you can buy seamless ones online (here's a thread on them: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=42395 ).

A boar bristle brush is also a good idea - again, to use either to distribute oil evenly, to help stretch washes, or just for smoothing when styling. I use a simple Scuunci one I found out my local pharmacy that I like well enough. Just be sure it's 100% boar bristle (if you have very thick hair, some people recommend mixed bristle to penetrate) and that it has a wooden, not a rubber base.

As for oil, this article http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71 has a how to, and a series of links at the bottom for online shopping. I just use cocounut oil from the grocers, so no personal reccs there.

Hope this helps!

elaiesusandavie
February 21st, 2011, 04:47 PM
For me my set of EZ combs is easy versatile and always gets lots of comments

GRU
February 21st, 2011, 08:24 PM
I really love acrylic hairsticks -- strong, smooth, and waterproof. LadyIdun has some fancy shaped ones in various shades, and PacificMerchantile has some regular shaped ones in a gazillion colors (both on Etsy). I don't think you can go wrong with either one of those.

If you want a real value, check out child-sized chopsticks. I get mine from Asian Ideas (http://asianideas.com/chforkibura.html).

I also second Spin Pins -- get at least half a dozen!