PDA

View Full Version : Sea water protection?

perkidanman
February 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hello everyone who bothered to read this. :3

I've got a small question. I'm heading to Mexico in a few months and I plan on snorkling for the first time in the ocean. I'm wondering what kind of protection I can use on my hair. Is it okay to leave the water in my hair while I play around on the beach (I'm planning on building a sand castle. I know, I'm a giant child) or should I wash it out right away? I don't use commercial products on my hair, just my natural sebum, shampoo bars, ACV rinses, and occasionally Camellia oil or AVG to help if I get frizzy. I'm going to bring along my giant purple sun hat for protection out of the water but other than a swim cap I don't know what would work for the ocean.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

krissykins
February 11th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hmm, I suggest oiling your hair before entering the ocean and doing a quick ACV rinse as soon as you get out. Yes, it might be a pain in the rear if you just want to play on the beach, but it would be beneficial to you hair :)

HTH!

Othala
February 11th, 2011, 02:28 PM
In your situation I would apply Castor oil, well diluted in a lighter oil of your choice, to your hair and scalp. It will prevent seawater penetrating your hair shaft or drying out your scalp.

Enjoy your trip!

NorthStar
February 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi Perki, I'm new here, too! Brand new! I snorkel and scuba. Before I go on vacation I condition my hair like crazy with Kerastase aqua-oleum topped with deep conditioner. Leave it on for an hour. I do this weekly for about a month.

Once at the seaside, I use a Kerastase product (comes in a red hockey puck) made especially for hair that's going swimming. I forget what it's called. It's in their red line.

For snorkeling or scuba I put on the hockey puck products and clip my hair to the top of my head (so the clip doesn't get in the way of the scuba mask strap). When I come out, sin of sins, I just comb through a bunch of Suave coconut or Organix coconut conditioner and braid my hair and play all day.

At sunset I rinse well and use just a bit of shampoo on the scalp, unless I'm in the water again the next day. In that case, i just rinse.

Enjoy your vacation! :magic:

burns_erin
February 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I found heavy coconut oiling and then putting my hair in a bun to work very well. Maybe because coconut oil is absorbed into the hair?

In any event, in order to use enough coconut oil to work, I had to use a bit stronger shampoo to get all the oil out, so keep that in mind.

Jenn of Pence
February 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Paying attention to this thread, 'cause I'm going to Mexico next week! 8) I just can't get the hang of snorkeling, but maybe I'll come around this time and be a little mermaid all week. Then my hair will be prepared! :D

Capybara
February 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Lucky you! Hope you enjoy your trip :)

I actually find that salt water makes my hair feel great. I know it is supposed to be drying, but after a swim in the ocean, my hair is super soft. I do get tangles if I swim without it contained, though. Pool water makes my hair feel crunchy, so I usually will rinse my hair with regular water before swimming in a pool (I've heard that saturating it beforehand will inhibit pool chemicals entering your hair). Maybe you could do this before swimming in the ocean?

How about wearing it in a braid, or multiple braids? I find this helps too :)

perkidanman
February 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM
If I still had my thick coating of Sebum I wouldn't worry about it at all (I was VERY water-repellant) but since I started shampoo-baring my hair doesn't have as much sebum to protect it. I'll try the castor oil (maybe mixed with some camellia oil) and braid my hair while I snorkel. Hopefully that works. I'll try and post some pictures (sorry, fat lady in a bathing suit, apologies in advance, haha) when I get back to show the results!