PDA

View Full Version : Preconditioning- How much oil do you use?

Dreamkitty
February 11th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I tried deep conditioning my hair with 1 part warm castor oil and 2 parts olive oil, then washed if off with shampoo.

My hair felt soft but it actually felt too limp, like I oiled too heavily.

So I realised that what works best for me is a little bit of oil and that a little goes a long way. :)

How much oil does everyone else here use for preconditioning?

Night_Kitten
February 14th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I use alot, to the point that my hair is all covered in a thick layer of oil from root to tip, and leaves oil staines on everything it touches... So I keep it in a bun to avoid messing everything around me...
For my hair there is no such thing as over-oiling before a wash, LOL :D
Guess it could depend on the hair type or the oil used (I use coconut oil, and sometimes an even mix of coconut and jojoba when it's really cold)

spitfire511
February 14th, 2011, 05:59 AM
If I'm oiling length, I use a good bit of just coconut oil.

I only use castor oil on my scalp, and not a ton of it. I just started trying it the way that PrincessP does it on her blog - it's a mixture of water (she uses rose water, but I didn't have any) coconut oil, castor oil and some EO's. I use that on my scalp. It did a great job this last time!

RedCat
February 14th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I use a lot of oil on my hail. I actualy soak my hair in it. I use some different kinds of oils and never had any problems with washing it off. Maybe you should try to wash it off with different shampoo??

sakuraemily
February 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM
You're oiling was sufficient I think. Its just that oiled hair requires 2 shampoos. I know from experience.

born_confused90
February 14th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I use coconut oil, probably about 1 and a half small palmfuls: 3/4 tablespoons I think. I'm always tempted to add more, but my hair doesn't respond well to heavy oilings unless the it has a long time to soak it up - like more than a day, and, oddly enough,that gives me headaches!

UltraBella
February 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I use a ton. My hair is completely saturated. What a mess !
I also use a small amount of coconut oil on my damp hair after I wash it. My hair feels so nice once it dries :)

Fufu
February 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I use about 8 to 10 drops of camelia oil on my hair length + massaing on the scalp.

I will then rinse with warm water, condition my length, shampoo my scalp, rinse much longer then usual. Condition length again, and rinse again.

Shermie Girl
February 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I have never measured. I use enough to thoroughly coat my hair, but not so it is dripping. I want the oil to wash out in one shampooing. If I have to wash twice, it strips the oil completely and defeats the purpose of the oil. :)

Othala
February 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM
My pre-wash oiling consists of making my hair wet with oil, so totally dripping with the stuff. Then leaving it overnight before washing off.

Celtic Morla
February 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I coconut oil my hair so it is coated but not dripping I usually leave it in a minimum of 4-5 hours or sleep on it with a shower cap. I then apply shampoo to my hair before i get itno th shower and let it work on breaking down the coating, then wash it out in the shower. I usually wash before rinsing out he shampoo, a few times I did 2 washes and did not liek the end result.

Tresses
February 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I have never measured. I use enough to thoroughly coat my hair, but not so it is dripping. I want the oil to wash out in one shampooing. If I have to wash twice, it strips the oil completely and defeats the purpose of the oil. :)

Agreed on all points. I will use coconut oil, sometimes mixed with jojoba and/or camellia, and eos.

I tried deep conditioning my hair with 1 part warm castor oil and 2 parts olive oil, then washed if off with shampoo.

My hair felt soft but it actually felt too limp, like I oiled too heavily.

So I realised that what works best for me is a little bit of oil and that a little goes a long way. :)

How much oil does everyone else here use for preconditioning?

Dreamkitty, castor and olive are heavy oils. Perhaps you need to use something lighter?

BrightEyes7
February 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I use alot, to the point that my hair is all covered in a thick layer of oil from root to tip, and leaves oil staines on everything it touches... So I keep it in a bun to avoid messing everything around me...
Guess it could depend on the hair type or the oil used (I use coconut oil, and sometimes an even mix of coconut and jojoba when it's really cold)

Same here. My hair looks soaking wet because I put so much oil. But I only use coconut oil.

teela1978
February 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I use maybe a teaspoon of coconut oil. I don't do it all at once though, a little at a time until it looks pretty oily. Mine is never to dripping though :)

sunnyhope
February 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM
if you do have to wash twice after oiling it will still have the effect has the hair has soaked up a lot but you can always add a little bit of oil after which is what i do. i love the coconut smell.

the two times i have oiled my hair i v used so i feel all the hair is coated.
First time i used grapeseed oil, other time i used coconut oil and some shea butter.

Angel_099
February 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Good thread. I have been wanting to try oiling my hair and wasn't sure how. I think I'll pick up some coconut oil and try it out before washing next time. : )

Anywhere
February 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I use maybe a tablespoon of EVOO before CO washing once a week. After rinsing out it makes my hair dry nice and frizz free, as well as making it very soft.

enfys
February 14th, 2011, 04:00 PM
On my scalp I use about 2tsp of a castor/grapeseed/EO mix and then a couple of palm fulls of mustard oil. I leave that for about 4 hours. I then apply conditioner all over my (dry) scalp and leave it for an hour or two before washing once or twice with shampoo. Even after that cleaning, my hair doesn't feel dry.

On my length, I always have some coconut oil. A heavy, prewash oiling will leave my hair looking almost wet. Again, CO gets it out better than shampoo.

Anje
February 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Castor oil's pretty heavy... using a bit less of that might make it easier to wash out.

Also, try COing it out. Just like Enfys said ^^^. Cheap conditioner on oiled-but-dry hair, work it in, let it soak, then rinse. Since my hair isn't particularly fond of shampoo, I would just follow up with a second, quick CO wash to make sure everything is removed.

PeaceLoveHair
February 14th, 2011, 07:20 PM
About a teaspoon along the length of my hair, and as much as it takes to oil my scalp entirely. Leave it on a few hours or overnight then wash out!

MissCoco
April 26th, 2011, 08:13 PM

This is exactly what I do! :D First, I apply a coconut base on very slightly damp hair. Then, I generously add Brahmi Amla, Bhringraj and castor oil (and sometimes almond/wheat germ/avocado and/or shea butter). After spreading the oils with a wooden wide tooth comb and BBB, I braid or bun it and leave this in for a few days. Finally, the day before I wash, I add coconut milk. I wash this all out with either 1. Lots of organic shampoo and an Indian herb rinse (strained aritha+shikakai+amla mix) or 2. Two sulfate shampoo washings. Unlike everyone else here on LHC, conditioner works horribly for me, oiled hair or not. :rolleyes:

Green Hair
April 26th, 2011, 08:25 PM
...After spreading the oils with a wooden wide tooth comb and BBB,...

What is "BBB?" Thanks, I'm new.

MissCoco
April 26th, 2011, 11:42 PM
What is "BBB?" Thanks, I'm new.

Hi, it means "boar bristle brush" which, as the name indicates, is a brush that has bristles made out of a boar's fur. It is not used for detangling, but rather to smooth the hair and spread oils/sebum. Welcome to LHC, also! :flower:

kouran
April 27th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I seem to have best results when I only oil my two braids. My hair is not dry, and if I use too much oil my hair won't absorb it. That is why I also use a light oil. I think it also depends on how fine/coarse your hair is.

Chetanlaiho
April 27th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I use quite a bit of oil, and I had trouble getting it out when I was still using shampoo. But now that I CO, all the oil gets out no problem ^_^ (and my hair feels much more moisturized due to not having to use shampoo on the length =D)

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 06:06 AM
If I am doing a deep oiling, I use loads but daily I use a pea sized amount, rub my hands together and just add to bottom 3". A tip too is not to wash out with shampoo but apply conditioner first!

gogirlanime
April 27th, 2011, 02:51 PM
My hair is heat and color damaged really bad so I soak my hair almost to the roots with an alternation of castor, olive, and coconut oil or I mix some of them. Then I do my M-T-G/essential oils mix on my scalp every night to make it grow.