PDA

View Full Version : HELP - swim questions!

Katze
February 11th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Soo, I am ending up a very very stressful semester at work, getting ready to visit my parents and family in the US for a month with DD (she's 22 months), and wanting to relax and strengthen myself by doing a LOT of swimming next week before I fly on the 22nd.

I normally swim on Tuesdays and Fridays and CWC wash, swimming on 'dirty' hair (sometimes oiled or with lots of leave-in in it). My hair has seemed a bit dryer since doing this. this week I've been sick so I have been CO washing and my hair likes it (but my scalp doesn't).

Here are my questions:

Can I CO wash after swimming? Will it get the chlorine out (I do wet my hair before swimming, and do wear a silicone cap, though it is a bit problematic because my head is so huge)?

Do I HAVE to use shampoo (my hair/scalp like sulfates, but not with every wash, and non-sulfate shampoos are pointless) if I swim?

How often can I wash my hair without damaging it? Every day? Every other day? This would just be for a week, and I have found that I like my hair better if it is washed every 3-4 days or so - stretching washes just gives me bacon strips.

Are there any other things I can do to protect my hair? Unfortunately in our climate I do have to blow-DAMP my head (especially my ears) but I keep the dryer off the ends, though I do style a bit (forcing my hair to cover my scalp cleavage in the back).

My hair is getting a bit easier to deal with since I started styling it and using product, and I don't want to lose that, but I do want to keep it in good shape as much as I can. And swimming is just SO good for my whole being!

Thoughts? Ideas!?

thanks!

Katze

Nini
February 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
It's only a week, so you can do pretty much whatever is most convenient for you I'd say:)

inty
February 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Katze!

I've been kinda following your posts about life after the little baby Kitty was born :) Glad to hear you're doing well and looking forward for a holiday!

My DD6 is swimming now twice a week. I normally wash her hair with a shampoo and condition, like, once in 3 weeks. But the chlorine makes is tangly. So, what has been working for her is rinse it with club soda (think of Red Spa water, basically mineral water with bubbles/gas), and then condition with cone-free condish lightly. Let airdry and braid for the night. In the morning - decent untangled hair. The only downside is that mineral water is cool, and she doesn't like it on her scalp, so I do only the length and condition overall, seems to work.
Maybe you will need to shampoo more often, generally, since adults scalp is making more oil, but this after-swim routine can be done twice a week anyway.

HTH!

Her hair is babyfine and to her waist almost.

If you search for club soda here, you will find original threads about it and the fact that it neutralises/removes chlorine. Plus, it is very cheap (with plastic-bottle state refund it's like 5 cents for 1.5 liters here).

Enjoy your holiday! :cheese:

krissykins
February 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM
If you can find a conditioner with that magical stuff that neutralizes chlorine, an ingredient with EDTA in it or something, I think COing should be just fine.

kanzer
February 12th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm having similar problems, Katze! I want to start going swimming more but I notice that no matter how much I think I've rinsed/shampoo-ed my hair still smells like chlorine after I've been swimming. It seems to make the ends very brittle! I like the idea of oiling before swimming, I'll try that! Sorry I'm no help to you at all, but if I learn anything new I'll definitely pass it on!

Swimming is just about the most relaxing thing I can think of :) I hope you get de-stressed and enjoy your time off!