PDA

View Full Version : Where do y'all measure from?

CaliforniaAnne
February 10th, 2011, 10:43 PM
So, I've had a lot of confusion--where do you measure your hair from? I've been measuring and measuring, and despite my really long torso and the fact that my hair is on a few centimeters away from my tailbone, I'm still measuring only at 31". Am I doing this right? I keep seeing posts from other people saying that they are at 39 or 40" at tailbone...am I reading wrong? Measuring from the wrong spot? It seems like a drastic difference...or is everyone else just taller than me? I am 5 feet 6 inches. Just curious--any thoughts anyone? And also, like the title asks, at which point are you measuring from? Cheers!
:)

monsterna
February 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I measure from the very tip of my hairline in the center of my forehead, to the back. How are you doing it?

teela1978
February 10th, 2011, 10:51 PM
For standardization, its generally assumed that everyone measures from the front of their hairline down the back. Gives a easy reference point too... theoretically. This information used to be somewhere on the mane forum, but I can't find it. You might want to check out the sticky at the top of the mane forum, there's lots of info on how we usually do things around here.

fluffybunny
February 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Yeah, everybody measures from the front hairline. That way you have a consistent starting point for the measurements.

Darkhorse1
February 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Well, that explains why I can never get my measurements right either ;) I always measured from the middle of my head and found my hair never grew ;)

gypsymoth
February 11th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Even if you choose not to measure from your hairline for whatever reason, you should choose a spot that is going to be in the same place the next time you measure. (:

Katze
February 11th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I am 5'6, have a short torso, and 30" (my goal) is waist on me. I measure from the front of the hairline, IF I measure - I haven't since The Great Shed of 2009.

Mesmerise
February 11th, 2011, 04:49 AM
When I first measured I just measured the longest hairs on my head and then wondered why I the measurement was so low when I was reading of people with APL hair whose hair was as long as mine (which is 3" from waist or so), so I had to look up where it was measured from, and instantly got a few extra inches of length!