PDA

View Full Version : Will these clip-in hair extensions damage my hair?

Pandora.
February 10th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I know that hair extensions which are sewn in are extremely bad for your hair, but I hear that clip-in hair extensions are fine?

I plan to get mine from Foxy Locks (some of you might have already heard of them) and they are honestly AMAZING. The owner - Imogen - wears them herself and she looks gorgeous. I want to get the 20" ones which are 160g in total.

Here's the site where they're sold: http://foxylocksextensions.com/

What's your opinion?

Lianna
February 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
As long you're careful and don't sleep with it you should be fine. There's no need to backcomb the roots. If your hair is too fine and slippery it could be a problem, they wouldn't feel secure and they could brake some hairs at the root.

Pandora.
February 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I definitely won't be sleeping with them in. I hate wearing clips in my hair when I sleep. :P

I most probably won't be wearing them everyday either. Maybe twice a week perhaps? I get lazy in the mornings when it comes to getting myself ready lol.

I don't think I'll be backcombing either. :)

Rocket22
February 10th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have an entire album with extensions in and I had (prior to LHC) spent the last 4 years solid wearing extensions that I put in myself. I think I had very minimal damage although everyone says how bad they are? I think if you are very very careful you will have minimal damage as well. (everything does some damage) :) good luck! I loved wearing my "hair I could never have in my lifetime"

Pandora.
February 10th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I have an entire album with extensions in and I had (prior to LHC) spent the last 4 years solid wearing extensions that I put in myself. I think I had very minimal damage although everyone says how bad they are? I think if you are very very careful you will have minimal damage as well. (everything does some damage) :) good luck! I loved wearing my "hair I could never have in my lifetime"

I've just looked at your photo album and it looks like the extensions didn't do any damage to your hair at all. :)

Tbh, I think wearing hair extensions will make me not want to heat style my hair as much. If I get really thick extensions, I can try and conceal my real hair inside the extensions a bit, and mainly just focus on styling the extensions.

Rocket22
February 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I've just looked at your photo album and it looks like the extensions didn't do any damage to your hair at all. :)

Tbh, I think wearing hair extensions will make me not want to heat style my hair as much. If I get really thick extensions, I can try and conceal my real hair inside the extensions a bit, and mainly just focus on styling the extensions.

This was key to me for years! the only time I ever had long hair was when wearing my extensions and for this exact reason you pointed out. I pretty much only heat styled the extension hair, also because they were so thick and washing and drying was such a pain I only washed my hair every three days and could get away with it but with my real hair it was wash, dry and curl every day to get any volume. But now I'm heat, bleach, and extension free (extension for the moment I do love them though) :)

lara grace
February 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
A word of warning, extensions are seriously addictive! Myself and a lot of people I know have become addicted and feel naked without them. The clips themselves dont really do any damage unless they aren't clipped securely and can snag at your hair. The main problem is them getting really tangled after a few months of frequent wear and matting up with your own hair.

SummerSkye
February 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I was just looking at her site yesterday, I'm quite tempted too. Think they would look great in your hair!

Rocket22
February 10th, 2011, 02:03 PM
A word of warning, extensions are seriously addictive! Myself and a lot of people I know have become addicted and feel naked without them. The clips themselves dont really do any damage unless they aren't clipped securely and can snag at your hair. The main problem is them getting really tangled after a few months of frequent wear and matting up with your own hair.

I have to agree with this completely!!! it's a tough process and like I said I wore them SOLID for over 4 years and started wearing them about 16 years ago but way more off then on back then. But when you take them out you feel bald, you will think all your hair fell out. (that is why I always took pictures to keep me in check and to make sure I wasn't causing too much damage)

Pandora.
February 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the input everyone. :)

I honestly don't think I would get too addicted to them, since I won't be wearing them very often at all (as I'm already kind of comfortable with my real hair anyway). I'm only really wearing them until all my damaged hair grows out as it is.

Foxy Locks "ensure" that if the hair extensions are treated well then they won't get tangled or matted, and there will be barely any damage. But they could just be saying that to get you all to buy them. :P

Hylia
February 10th, 2011, 04:24 PM
No way, when I had extensions I saw no damage at all. I wore extensions when I went from chin to APL just because I hated short hair on me. I think the only damage that will occur is if you straighten it to make it blend in more. Thats where my damage came from.

Dyefree
February 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I bought some foxy locks clip In extensions and they are fantastic.

Honestly as someone who used to pay around £900 on micro link extensions every 2-3 months, I can tell you the quality and final look is comparable.

I suffered from such low self esteem when I took out my extensions and stopped heat styling and dying, and these has been my saviour. I don't even need to heat style my hair, I will clip the extensions in and I'm loving a side messy fishtail braid...

I do only wear mine 2-3 times a month.... But honestly I sooooo look forward to those days.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Oh yes, I don't backcomb or use hairspray to keep the clips in either... They are totally secure without.

kwaniesiam
February 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Clip ins will not damage your hair, you'll be fine wearing them. If the clips don't want to stick without backcombing, just use a little hairspray or styling wax instead. Only thing you may want to be careful with is that unless your hair is naturally stick straight you have have some trouble getting them to blend in unless you straighten your real hair.

Xepher
February 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Ouu, those are gorgeous! Any idea how much they are in US dollars? I'm pretty tempted now :p

Pandora.
February 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I think they would be roughly 120 in US dollars. I just worked that out for ya. ;)

Gosh I am so excited to get these! I'm already picturing the amazing things I'm gonna be doing with these hair extensions - without heat and products!

raspberrytea
February 11th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I think the only damage from clip in extensions would be if you weren't careful while wearing or removing them, and they tangled with your own hair. I haven't tried foxylocks but I just purchased a set from headkandy which is also located in the UK and they are amazing! They are very long and thick, and they even match perfectly with my henna red shade. So if you're looking at other companies, cause I know foxylocks is frequently out of stock, I recommend headkandy. They also have several different lengths and tons of blonde shades.

Pandora.
February 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Ooh I have heard of headkandy but I haven't looked into them yet...so I will go and do that now. :)

lara grace
February 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Ooh I have heard of headkandy but I haven't looked into them yet...so I will go and do that now. :)

I have the headkandy ones actually, they're amazing quality and you get so much hair. When I was choosing between headkandy and foxylocks, headkandy seemed to have better reviews and more hair.

Copasetic
February 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Everything has the potential to damage your hair if you aren't careful. As long as you put these in, and take them out with care, it should be fine.

Pandora.
February 12th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I've been looking at a lot of "Foxy Locks vs. Head Kandy" reviews and Foxy Locks seems to get better feedback the majority of the time. I know Head Kandy provides more hair and longer lengths, but the quality of the clips are apparently terrible in comparison to Foxy Locks. I have come across a lot of bad reviews against Head Kandy, but absolutely none for Foxy Locks. I suppose it's okay if you're good with putting in extensions, but I've never had any experience with hair extensions whatsoever. :P

Pandora.
February 12th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Actually, after seeing this girl's Head Kandy extensions I've changed my mind. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBX4RolRPM&feature=related

We have a very similar hair color, so I would probably get the ones she's got. OMGGGG they look so amazing! :D

Demetra
February 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Oh my gosh stop what you are doing and please do not put those in your hair!!!!
I wore hair extensions (almost identical to those) for two years and it was great until MY HAIR STARTED FALLING OUT! I immediately stopped wearing them.
Luckily most of my hair grew back but I still have two small BALD SPOTS on the back of my head. So I decided to stop having FAKE LONG HAIR and join TLHC to grow my own. ;)

So please please please do not opt for extensions of any kind! Natural is always better, so I've learned...

Pandora.
February 13th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Oh my gosh stop what you are doing and please do not put those in your hair!!!!
I wore hair extensions (almost identical to those) for two years and it was great until MY HAIR STARTED FALLING OUT! I immediately stopped wearing them.
Luckily most of my hair grew back but I still have two small BALD SPOTS on the back of my head. So I decided to stop having FAKE LONG HAIR and join TLHC to grow my own. ;)

So please please please do not opt for extensions of any kind! Natural is always better, so I've learned...

Gahhh don't say that, you'll scare me. >__<

How often did you wear hair extensions and what brand did your wear? Seems as I honestly don't think I'll be wearing my hair extensions often enough to make my hair fall out.

ravenreed
February 13th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I imagine that unless you have fragile hair, wearing them occasionally and moving them so they are not in the same spot each time would probably be fine. I think people run into trouble when they do the same thing each time, and it causes stress on that area.

Gahhh don't say that, you'll scare me. >__<

How often did you wear hair extensions and what brand did your wear? Seems as I honestly don't think I'll be wearing my hair extensions often enough to make my hair fall out.

Anywhere
February 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I believe they will be fine, since you're not wearing them every day. I imagine the only potential damage would be when untangling your hair from the extensions if it tangles at the end of the day or getting the clips knotted up in your hair.

Overall I think there are much more damaging things you could do compared to clip in extensions. :shrug:

moon-child
February 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I've had permanent extensions (micro bond not glue) and these made my hair break a lot because like people have mentioned they'd tangle with my own hair and I'd have to roughly brush the tangles out (nothing else would work! :( ). I've had clip ins for longer and these are definitely better, but the things I'd watch out for is the lowest extension, by the base of the scalp would always tangle with my hair and I'd have to pull it out, and the clips would always be slipping down and I'd be pushing it back in again as much as possible over and over again, but it would take hairs with it. However to be fair, I wear them on nights when I'm doing lots of crazy dancing (and sometimes headbanging lol), when I've worn them during the day they've been absolutely fine! I think you should definitely get them!
PS - I would really recommend buying the wefts and clips separately and sewing them on yourself, that way you could get both the thicker, better quality of hair and the strongest clips, and it usually works out cheaper! And also, you could get the wefts in a few different colours (like a bleach blonde, an ashy blonde, and a light golden) which I think tends to make them blend better or if you have different colours in your hair anyway.

Mojavewolf
February 20th, 2011, 03:49 PM
how do you get to your extension site?

katienoonan
February 23rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'm so tempted now... just to keep me motivated to keep my hair free :-( ...

Somebody stop me!

Demetra
February 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM

I wore them every day but that wasn't my original intention when i bought them. I wanted to wear them just occasionally but it turned out I liked the way I looked with long hair sooo much that I opted for every day use. I was also very careful when putting them in/taking them out and I never slept in them. I don't remember the brand but they were the same type you have and I even got them from a professional beauty supply store. I would stop using them before you get addicted :p

aznchck14
February 25th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Extensions are so addicting, I had micro-linked extensions that I did myself and I loved them but they did tangle with my real hair and coupled with the straightening and blowdrying and tangling, it only made my hair worse and when I finally decided to take them out for good.
I felt naked and like I had lost half my hair (even though I hadn't) But then I had to chop off several inches of my hair over the year afterwards to get rid of the damage
So my advice would be no, however if it will only be on occasion you should be fine.

AmbrosiaShadows
February 26th, 2011, 01:32 AM
If you want them then go ahead. however be warned about these sorts of things.

Because they are worn touching or almost touching the scalp, any damage that occurs from them will exist at the place where they are attached. Damage travels up the hair shaft so be very careful about using things such as these. If you hair gets damaged or splits or even breaks that close the scalp you run the risk of permanently damaging the hair follicle.
I don't think I need to tell you that a damaged hair follicle is a very,very, very Bad Thing.

Nightshade has a very nice and comprehensive article on damaged hair here ;http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

CurlyCyndi
March 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I have been wearing clip ins for many years.. No damage but they could cause baling and thinning... I find wigs or 1/2 wigs like Jessica Simpons hair do by Jessica's to be kess damaging. You can find really inexpensive wigs with all wonderful colors and meanwhile have your hair in a french braid with heavy oiling. :) I did this this winter and went from chin length (in summer of 2010) to BSL by Dec 2010 :) It protects your hair so well.