PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used sapote oil for hair or scalp?

pelicano
February 10th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I've just heard it can help seborrheic dermatitis, so am interested to give it a try.

UltraBella
February 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I have never heard of sapote oil, so I am no help at all !

curlymarcia
February 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Sapote also known as zapote or mamey is a fruit. The seed oil is used for hair loss (I had never try it). Anyway, I search online about the oil (in spanish) and I think the mamey is also use for seborrheic dermatitis. I don't know anyone with seborrheic dermatitis, so I have no idea if it works. I wish I could be more helpful.

banglaminerva
February 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I first ate sapote as a young child first time visiting my parent's country and I fell in love. 2nd time was when my family was visiting the Bahamas. I didn't realize that I couldn't bring fruit into the USA, so I stood at the customs booth and ate the whole bag. A few years ago, I had an unrelenting craving and ended up ordering a pound of it from a mail order place for almost $60 but they never ripened.

With all that though... I don't know anything about the oil.

pelicano
February 11th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try it - will report back!

banglaminerva
February 11th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I don't know what magical powers you all have, but I stopped by an asian grocery store today after work and they had a box of sapote!! Not ripe at all, but maybe they will ripen. Maybe.

Any ideas on how to get the oil out (so to speak!)?

pelicano
February 12th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Ooh spooky!! :D

No idea - I'm just going to buy a bottle of oil!! :D

ktani
February 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM
"In 1970, clinical tests at the University of California at Los Angeles failed to reveal any hair-growth promoting activity but confirmed that the oil of sapote seed is effective in stopping hair-fall caused by seborrheic dermatitis."
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sapote_ars.html#Other%20Uses

Good luck!