PDA

View Full Version : hair typing help ... and routine, puhlease!

dropinthebucket
February 10th, 2011, 03:35 AM
After looking through lots of pics (as suggested in the hair twin thread - great thread!) I realize I am totally confused about my hair type. What do you guys think?

Here goes -

Wet, washed with shampoo bar, untouched.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_dRugPrH7Q8k/TVO5IFoMGKI/AAAAAAAAAYk/haw3ptysEDE/s288/P1060158.JPG

Same hair, dry, still untouched.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_dRugPrH7Q8k/TVO5OjlzM-I/AAAAAAAAAYE/zlCVUAhZbm0/s640/P1060164.JPG

After I sleep on it. Still pretty much untouched.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_dRugPrH7Q8k/TVO5cthsWAI/AAAAAAAAAYA/TeQIz-MahAk/s640/P1060177.JPG

So, day 1, I'm thinking 1c/2a? It's wavier at the front, has lots of frizz, and some volume, not much shine. You can see when it's wet that in some places it clumps in waves, and in some places it just hangs straight. Day 2, maybe 1b? The frizz is gone, it's shinier and straighter, but the ends are going all piecy and stringy! argh! it's driving me in-freakin'-sane! I know if I cut it the rats' tails will appear again, just further up. Any advice on routine to help with this is also gratefully appreciated! TIA.

Purdy Bear
February 10th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I think you might be 2a, as I cant see any spirals nor braid like waves. Sorry I cant advise on routine, but Im sure the other members can help with that.

krissykins
February 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I'd say you were a 1c/2a as well.

What is your current routine? What do you like/dislike about your current routine? We may be able to advise you on your routine with these answers :)

(as suggested in the hair twin thread - great thread!)

Yay! I'm glad I made that thread now :disco:

dropinthebucket
February 10th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Routine is just wash with shampoo bar twice a week. Every 4th or 5th wash, Tresemme's low-sulphate Naturals shampoo, for a bit of extra cleaning. If the frizz is really driving me crazy, I'll dab a bit of castor oil on, but not much. That's it. Not much of a routine! Conditioners make the stringy problem so much worse, I never go near them. Maybe if I can finally type my hair right, I can start searching for routine help? :)

krissykins
February 10th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Hmm. Lots of frizz, you say? That could be a sign of waves that aren't coming out. Have you tried ACV rinses? Oiling? What kind of conditioners make your hair stringy--light or heavy? What brands of conditioner have you tried?

These are a few questions I have off the top of my head. I hope they can lead us to a good routine for you!

dropinthebucket
February 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks, krissykins. I think so too. I did try an ACV rinse for a few weeks, but didn't see much improvement. I also tried Mariika's lemon rinse, but it made my hair terribly tangly, and the strings were worse than ever the second day. I've tried Tresemme's 'cone-free condish, as well. It's ok, but makes the strings a bit worse, even if I just use it before I shampoo.

I used to use 'cones, but they really weigh my superfine hair down, and it just goes all limp. The only time the stringy issue was fixed was when I hennaed. It was awesome for weeks after! But the strings came back as the henna resin coating wore off, and the colour was not really for me.

To be honest, I've always gotten fed up with it around APL and chopped back to shoulder. It's just about BSL now, and it's never been this long! Maybe if I can figure out my hair type and find a routine that suits it, I might be able to have decent-looking LONG hair, for the first time in my life? I'm really committed to trying stuff and seeing if I can make it work somehow - I want to get to waist. But Feb. 18 trim is fast approaching, and I'm worried if it still looks this bad, I'll chop! SO - all hairtype suggestions and routine advice will be so much appreciated :). And sorry to keep posting, hope this is enough info.! Thanks, lovelies!

lapushka
February 10th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Agreeing with 1c/2a. :)

MissManda
February 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Yep, 1c/2a. :flower:

Katze
February 11th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Your hair looks a lot like mine, but I have spiral ringlets underneath, and more straight bits on top.

Alternating CWC with CO and WO is my best routine. However, I have been swimming 2x a week for the past six months, and thus 'have to' (or do I?) shampoo (see my thread from today on this if you can help me). I ahve had a cold this week and have been doing more CO washing, which my hair seems to like.

It is not easy dealing with barely-wavy fine hair! My DH has 2c/3a fine, thick hair at about BSL length, and I see him having similar issues (dryness, tangling) but not that weird 'piece-y-ness' our hair seems to get.

Honestly, the thing I like right now is PRODUCT. Cheap hair gel mixed with conditioner on freshly washed hair, baby. Sometimes more if I want to wear my hair down, and gel if I want to wear my hair up too. I have special issues (regrowth after massive shed) but it does make my hair look a bit more 'normal...'

you are not alone in this struggle, believe me! Just look at my album if you want to feel better about your hair! :D

dropinthebucket
February 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Krissykins, Purdybear, Lapushka, and MissManda - thanks so much! It's a huge help getting a concensus on type. 1c/2a it is, then. :)

Katze, my hair is just like yours! It does just that same sometimes wavy, sometimes straight thing as in your album and .... OMG, I even have the exact same swirly bit at the top back of my head! (I plastered it down for the pic I posted here! but it is in most of the pics on my computer!) Gosh, and your hair is at WAIST and looks absolutely beautifu!!! Maybe there is hope.

If it's ok with you, I'll PM or put a message on your page asking for tips (like about honey - you use honey? - does our hair like honey? must - resist- urge- to -ask - a - million - questions - at - once). I've never had my hair this long , and I have no idea what to do with it. I also had chemical dye for a couple of decades (!) which puffed my hair and straightened it right out. I haven't had my own hair texture since I was a young 'un. Thank you so much for shining light at the end of the tunnel!