PDA

View Full Version : What I don't understand about finger-combing. Please explain.

shikara
February 10th, 2011, 12:13 AM
So we know that it is best to keep hair untangled regularly so that the tangles don't build up into bigger ones. But using your fingers to comb only goes through so many hairs at a time so I don't understand how you could make your hair all smooth and tangle free unless you were doing it forever. I must be missing something??

darklion
February 10th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I use my fingers to sort out any big tangles that may be in my hair. Then I'll move on to the comb and then maybe the brush. I don't use my fingers as the end-all comber of my hair... just a gentle way to sort out anything large and smooth that out a bit.

trolleypup
February 10th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I use my fingers to sort out any big tangles that may be in my hair. Then I'll move on to the comb and then maybe the brush. I don't use my fingers as the end-all comber of my hair... just a gentle way to sort out anything large and smooth that out a bit.
You're a mind reader...took the words right out of my fingers!

donna'sdaughter
February 10th, 2011, 12:48 AM
for curlier textures , finger combing can be a more gentle alternative to combs.

Ishje
February 10th, 2011, 12:56 AM
it depends on your hairtype I think. fingercombing does not do anything for me at all :)
sometimes I use it to get the big knots out, but that is rare.

enfys
February 10th, 2011, 01:29 AM
On my head, finger combing and regular combing are a great way to break hairs. It's just not compatible. I envy those who can fingercomb successfully even if it is supplemented with regular combing or brushing.

milagro
February 10th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I usually do finger-combing prior to well, comb-combing, or instead of it. With your fingers you feel where the tangle is and you can instantly undo it without damage, while comb goes through "blindly" and takes your being more careful not to rip hair. I was never able to achieve very smooth look with just finger-combing though.

frizzinator
February 10th, 2011, 03:35 AM
You start at the bottom... the hemline of your hair. The goal is not to break hairs. It takes time to treat your hair gently like old lace, but if you never have tangles, then you probably don't need to fingercomb.

Start by inserting your fingers 3 or 4 inches from the bottom, then comb with your fingers through those 3 or 4 inches. Do this to your entire hemline.

If you encounter a tangle don't drag your fingers through it, just stop combing and use all of your fingertips on that tangle. You can bring the tangle into your direct view, then you can start pulling out individual hairs above the tangle.

After gently removing the hairs above the tangle, if you end up with two hairs knotted together, they can be cut above the knot.

Go back to fingercombing the bottom 3 or 4 inches of your hair. If there are no more tangles at the bottom, then move up 2 or 3 inches and fingercomb the bottom 6 inches, removing each tangle as you go. Continue in this way, increasing the length you are combing until you reach the scalp.

After I finish fingercombing I use a wide tooth comb in the same exact way I fingercombed.

luxepiggy
February 10th, 2011, 06:02 AM
The missing variable is sensory feedback.

Combing or brushing utilizes sort of a "shotgun" approach to detangling - in order to ensure that the hair is knot-free, you make continuous passes to make sure the teeth/bristles pass between as many strands as possible. The way you detect knots is by encountering resistance to the passage of the comb/brush, i.e. when it attempts to pass directly through a tangled section of hair. When you're able to make several passes without obstruction, that signals that there are few or no tangles left.

Fingercombing works on a completely different principle. As you pass your fingers through your hair, you can feel any knots on each side as your fingers slide past. They don't have to be in your direct path for you to find and address them. I can even find fairy knots by fingercombing.

I haven't used a brush or a comb in almost 10 years, and I have fewer tangles these days than when I used to brush it (^(oo)^)v

Madora
February 10th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Finger combing is a gentle way to find some of the larger snarls/mats/knots. Once you have finger combed all your hair, then it's time to take your wide tooth comb and repeat the procedure (starting at the ends of the hair and slowly working up to the scalp).
Make sure you have combed out thoroughly and have not missed any tangles (use your fingers, not your comb, to detangle the knots). If tangles are not completely eradicated, they have a nasty way of become worse. Get 'em while they're small!

PrincessBob
February 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Finger-combing actually shreds my finger nails after a few passes (I don't know why, and I've asked about it on fingernail threads, and they suggested that I massage my cuticles and file my nails regularly in one direction and I have tried to no avail), which causes the nails to catch on hairs that are mildly kinky or even straight hairs. It's frustrating to me.

Anywhere
February 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I finger comb to detangle my hair without reducing it to frizz.

Coan-Teen
February 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I finger comb just to move my hair to where I want it. It doesn't exactly need to be smoothed. My hair is almost stick straight anyway so I don't have to worry too much about appearance in that regard. It can be really useful for finding tiny knots that might otherwise have gone unnoticed or even missed by a comb.

mira-chan
February 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I finger comb mostly and comb regularly. I have wavy hair so it will never been smooth, as such I don't bother trying to smooth it. My hair doesn't tangle that much as is usually worn up so even if I don't catch a minor tangle it will fall out on it's own during the next wash. Major hair gatherings are gently pried apart though.

wildblue
February 11th, 2011, 09:47 PM
My hairs pretty wavy, so I finger comb when its wet and just let the smaller tangles hang out. They blend in with the curls as it dries, and then I brush or comb it on the day after I wash.

Aurantia
February 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
The missing variable is sensory feedback.

Combing or brushing utilizes sort of a "shotgun" approach to detangling - in order to ensure that the hair is knot-free, you make continuous passes to make sure the teeth/bristles pass between as many strands as possible. The way you detect knots is by encountering resistance to the passage of the comb/brush, i.e. when it attempts to pass directly through a tangled section of hair. When you're able to make several passes without obstruction, that signals that there are few or no tangles left.

Fingercombing works on a completely different principle. As you pass your fingers through your hair, you can feel any knots on each side as your fingers slide past. They don't have to be in your direct path for you to find and address them. I can even find fairy knots by fingercombing.

I haven't used a brush or a comb in almost 10 years, and I have fewer tangles these days than when I used to brush it (^(oo)^)v

Exactly! Luxepiggy and frizzinator, you described it beautifully! :)

I have not used a comb or brush in 6 months. Because others have given you tips on the technique, let me addresses your concerns about "not getting it":

Fingercombing will almost always take a little more time than brushing or combing, but it only takes forever in the very beginning when you are transitioning from brushes/combs to strictly hands. After enough practice your hands becomes extremely sensitive and nimble: I can actually sit and fingercomb my hair while browsing the internet or watching a movie without even thinking about what I am doing. My hands have become so accustomed to the feel and process that it is an almost subconscious motion, yet still very gentle.

But if I am ever to look at my fingers in motion, they are spider fast. :D

Once I am done, I can run my hand resistance free from crown to hem. And my mane looks perfectly arranged and smooth. The key is fingercombing to completion (until not a single tangle remains)!

ETA: I also only fingercomb when my hair is dry.