PDA

View Full Version : Golden, mousy and pale brown.

Saranne772
June 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Well there is a thread for the dark browns and blacks and for the blondes. What about the golden browns and light browns?

What are you hair care tips? etc :)

Katze
June 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
well, some of us (I can think of me and Spidermom) fit into at least two categories. In my case, it depends on if I count the bleached bits, which need special care, or the fineness of my hair, which I tend to think of as a special blonde problem, or, rather, the dull, mousy, liver-paste color of my hair if I go more than three days without washing, where it looks even dark brown and makes me look pale.

Can you tell I spend a lot of time wondering what my hair color officially is, and obsessing about it? :silly:

Maybe one subject for light-brown-haired people is whether or not they go lighter in the summer. Some seem to; others don't.

Siava
June 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Maybe one subject for light-brown-haired people is whether or not they go lighter in the summer. Some seem to; others don't.

My hair does that all on its own. It tends to highlight like crazy if I'm in the sun at all, even a few minutes! Come winter, my roots are so dark. It's very frustrating. I don't have any haircare tips though. I'm still rather new to this stuff.

Saranne772
June 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I go lighter in the summer and darker in the winter. So my hair can fluctuate between blonde and darkish brown but in the main its golden brown. My siggy shows some colour changes in the last 3 months (ignore the squiggles)

jojo
June 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I often wonder what colour mine could be classed as.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/crop.jpg

what colour would you put me at? this is all virgin btw too!

florenonite
June 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I go really blonde in the summer, but in the winter it looks like I've coloured my hair because of the colour difference.

Tips? I use ACV rather than white vinegar in the winter, because I've heard it can dull the blonde, and with my pale skin and blue eyes I think I look better with darker hair. In the summer, on the other hand, my hair will get bleached no matter what because I spend a lot of time swimming and the water helps with the bleaching.

florenonite
June 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM

I'd say you're a dark blonde or light brown, like me. I really have no clue as to what my hair colour is, though I tend to go with dark blonde as all my sisters are blondes.

amaiaisabella
June 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
You forgot reddish brown! Or do I fit into the dark brown category :confused:

Am I allowed?

SeaPhoenix
June 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Yay! I suspect I'll be in this category when my natural hair color grows in enough... I have about an inch or 2 of real hair color at the roots.. which looks brown indoors, but in sunlight glimmers a goldish dark blond.... I was naturally blonde up to age 13.. then started dying my hair... I have a vague recollection from back in 2003 (from 99-2003 I had a break in dying my hair), that my hair tends to be a lightish brown that lightens up more to a dark blond at the bottom, if it's grown out to at least APL or BSL.
I'm hoping to actually encourage the lighter shades on my hair once it grows out enough to do so (without using harmful chemicals to bleach it or color it).

rhubarbarin
June 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM
With short hair (which I had for years until recently) I am mousy brown, with longer hair I am getting blonder and blonder..

Sun makes the difference.

I still think of myself as having light brown hair, though.

peachy.pudding
June 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hello can i join, i am light brown with sun streaks, i used to hate my hair colour now i love it

Shorty89
June 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure which catagory I'm in. Anyone have any ideas? In sunlight my hair looks more golden but inside it's fairly dark. So can I join?

SeaPhoenix
June 10th, 2008, 01:42 PM
LOL - we could just dub this the "What hair color am I really??" thread, since most of us seem to have hair color that can't quite be pinned down to one specific color, depending on the season, length of hair, etc etc etc.... :D

hurricane_gia
June 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM

I would put you at "My Color!"

Seriously, I have the same color hair . . . just add a couple of sun-bleached streaks coming from the front hairline and that's my hair. :) I call is Honey-Blond. Or Rum. Or Whisky. Sometimes I call it light brown but I'd rather be blond. :D

I recently put Cassia on my hair and that seemed to bump it more towards Golden Blond and away from Unidentifiable-Shade-Of-Medium. So, I think I'll continue using Cassia!:cheese:

hurricane_gia
June 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM

But the real question is, what color of wood would contrast really well with this hair color? :D Because as I said, that's about the same as my hair color, and I really want a Baerreis fork that will stand out against my hair. But so many colors of wood just blend in with the Unidentifiable-Shade-of-Brown hair that I have, that I don't know what to get.

fleurdelis
June 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hmm, I aslo have no idea vif this is the color thread for me, but I guess it is. I have some borwn hair that before I considered dark, but not with colombian sun bleaching and strong bathroom light seems like light brown or something. Well, my goal is now to get it lighter so I put honey in conditioner (ok, also because my hair loves it) and I used john frienda light red proucts that really did brighten my hair up (a bit much actually, it looked like if I had painted them on some places. Now that is not that far from truth.)

HairColoredHair
June 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty much in this group... my hair is hair colored.

sapphire-o
June 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Just want to say dark blonde / light brown is my favorite hair color. :) Maybe it's because my DH has dark blonde hair. Using chamomile rinse help to bring out the golden colors, and coffee rinse can turn it into a true brown color for a while. It seems to have 1000 different shades depends on lighting, from flame red to almost black. It's fun to have this hair color.

florenonite
June 10th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I would put you at "My Color!"

Seriously, I have the same color hair . . . just add a couple of sun-bleached streaks coming from the front hairline and that's my hair. :) I call is Honey-Blond. Or Rum. Or Whisky. Sometimes I call it light brown but I'd rather be blond. :D

I recently put Cassia on my hair and that seemed to bump it more towards Golden Blond and away from Unidentifiable-Shade-Of-Medium. So, I think I'll continue using Cassia!:cheese:
Alcohol-coloured hair? I can handle that! ;) Not a big fan of Whisky, but I do like my rum (though I don't think my hair's really rum-coloured, unfortunately. More whisky-coloured).

Saranne772
June 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
What colour fluctuations. Mine is the same.

I have several hair colours all mixed:
Some hairs blonde
Some dark blonde
Some pale brown
Some golden
Some Copper
(these last three are more rare)
Some Auburn
Some dark chesnutty brown
Some black!

Mix it all up (and all virgin hair) and you get golden brown.

Its crazy!!

spidermom
June 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I threw in with the blondes already. As a youngster and into my 20s, it was without a doubt blonde. Now it's "can I call this blonde?" Funny - it's pretty much the same color of hair that my granddaughter has, and I consider her hair color to be light golden brown. She's only 6, and I expect that it will darken with time, which is why I place her with the brunettes. I could just as easily place myself with the light golden browns.

walkinglady
June 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I think I fit in here. Medium brown, Light brown, golden brown, and red. Sometimes it looks blond. Oh, and I have noticed a few of those silvers as well! All my tones are warm tones. I think this hair color is a lot of fun!

ReadingRenee
June 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
yay I was hoping someone would start a thread for us! My hair is pretty weird. Red in some lights, brown in others, gold AND ash tones threaded through out. Here is a picture when I was all natural before Henna and this is what I am growing out to. I don't have a lot of tips though except to say with my hair, I can use ACV for red tones, Molasses for dark tones, and honey for the gold and it doesn't matter. I guess its versatile. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/meowmixxrr/Photo29-1.jpg

jojo
June 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM
But the real question is, what color of wood would contrast really well with this hair color? :D Because as I said, that's about the same as my hair color, and I really want a Baerreis fork that will stand out against my hair. But so many colors of wood just blend in with the Unidentifiable-Shade-of-Brown hair that I have, that I don't know what to get.

this is very true, see that depends on whether your having a brown or blond day, or indeed a brown or blond moment:D I tend to have far more of the latter! and yes your hair colour is the same as mine too!

bex487
June 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I have dark golden blonde hair. I actually thought it was "just brown" until a hairstylist explained that technically my hair is considered blonde-she mentioned how dark blonde tends to look even darker when it's your overall color. That made me happy to know I'm still a blonde, even after it's darkened significantly. :)

As for tips...for summer highlights I spritz either lemon or vodka into my hair and sit outside. I read the vodka tip in a magazine, and it works! Don't use too much though or it dries hair out (at least mine).

MemSahib
June 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I have dark golden blonde hair. I actually thought it was "just brown" until a hairstylist explained that technically my hair is considered blonde-she mentioned how dark blonde tends to look even darker when it's your overall color. That made me happy to know I'm still a blonde, even after it's darkened significantly. :)Hmmmm... perhaps this is why my hairdresser of yore said I was blonde. I've always considered it to be a light/medium brown but what do I know?

xrosiex
June 10th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Hmmm I think I may just fit this group. In different light my hair color can vary from medium brown to kinda light brownish, or even dark blond or gold.

MeganS
June 10th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure this group is my color group as well. I'm brown, but with reds and blondes mixed in. Also, the more time I spend in the sun, the lighter things get. One summer in high school, I spent large portions of every day walking in the sun at a camp. Imagine my surprise when I glanced at my hair halfway through and realized I was turning reddish blond! Anyway, generally I like my hair color(s), though as far as taking care of it goes, the curl takes precedence over the color.

socks
June 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
My hair is a bit confusing when it comes to color. It was red when I was a baby, but soon changed into a pale golden blonde. It then darkened as I got older, and now it looks like either a warm, dark blonde or a cool, light brown depending on the light.

rhodochrosite
June 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Until around 12 or so, I was a blonde (lighter in the summer, darker in winter). Now, I consider myself a brunette with golden strands and a reddish shine. :)

hurricane_gia
June 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM
LOL - we could just dub this the "What hair color am I really??" thread, since most of us seem to have hair color that can't quite be pinned down to one specific color, depending on the season, length of hair, etc etc etc.... :D

Yes, it's the "I don't know what color it is" thread!

To make the frustration worse, I have hazel eyes, too!! Sometimes, because my hair is so in-between every other color, I call it hazel-hair.

I want to start a support group for people of undiagnosable hair and eye colors!

Deborah
June 10th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Jojo,

Judging by your avatar I thought you were a brunette, but now that I see your hair closer up, I think you are actually a darker golden blonde. Beautiful color! :flower:

1nuitblanche
June 10th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I think that I fit under this category. I had strawberry blonde hair until I was maybe 4, then it got more brown. When I was 14, I dyed it blonde (it turned out to be a very red strawberry blonde, then bleached to a blonde, but everyone who didn't know me before thought that both of these colours were my natural colour, and even once it all grew out, those who'd met me when I was bottle blonde still say I have blonde hair. I'd say I'm brunette, but probably because my eyes are brown and my eyebrows are almost black; however, I still think my brother is blonde probably because his eyes are green and his eyebrows are lighter than mine and more like the colour of his hair, since his actual hair is darker than mine. I also have this blonde streak around my face. (Long convoluted post!)

SeaPhoenix
June 11th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I have picture evidence now! Though - it varies depending on the light. As shown in my blog, early morning light makes it look a greyish blah brown... but 5pm sunlight, when there's still plenty of it to be had, yet its not glaring bright anymore... shows this: (which I think looks like it might potentially become dark ashy blonde, or really light ashy brown...? Either way...)

Photo 1 (http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/islandselkie/DSC01717.jpg)

Photo 3 (http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/islandselkie/DSC01719.jpg)

for comparison, here is one of the ones taken in morning light that makes it look just an ashy grey brown:
Early morning (http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/islandselkie/DSC01707.jpg)

So yeah.. my hair is very confused about what color it will be, all depending on the amount of light - and of course, how the hair will eventually be affected by the sun once the natural color gets some time and length to affected.

(Oh.. and I also was a natural blonde up until I was 13... i started dying my hair at 14 - varying shades of lighter blondes or more strawberry blondes... then brown my senior year - which actually turned kind of green, then shades of red in the military though I had a period of a couple of years where I let it grow out without dying... and then I hit the henna lol)

Katze
June 11th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Seaphoenix, my sister has a very similar hair color to you - ashy brown. That color can look really shiny and nice.

Jojo and Florenite, you two have almost the same shade ! Beautiful - I'd call it light chestnut.

HurricaneGia, it's funny that you say you have hazel eyes - I do too. The most common comment I get - usually a pickup line - is 'What color ARE your eyes anyway?' It was a rare color in the 'states, but is even rarer here where most people have blue eyes. It changes from grey to yellow and from dark blue to moss green depending on the light and what I am wearing. And I would consider you a blonde, too, not sure why.

Spidermom, you hit the nail on the head - you were blonde as a kid, so you are blonde now. Your granddaughter, though, does sound like a natural brunette.

It is so funny how haircolor is defined!

Phalaenopsis
June 11th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I already posted in the blonde topic, since I am darkblonde/light brown, *I think* One day it can be more brown, the other day more blond. In the summer it's always blonder.

To compare:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/IMG_0981.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/vierkant.jpg

Some people are convinced I am a blonde, some say I am light brown...

Maybe I should have the pictures larger, since now you can't really see the golden glow going on here

florenonite
June 11th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Jojo and Florenite, you two have almost the same shade ! Beautiful - I'd call it light chestnut.

HurricaneGia, it's funny that you say you have hazel eyes - I do too. The most common comment I get - usually a pickup line - is 'What color ARE your eyes anyway?' It was a rare color in the 'states, but is even rarer here where most people have blue eyes. It changes from grey to yellow and from dark blue to moss green depending on the light and what I am wearing. And I would consider you a blonde, too, not sure why.

Heh, that sounds fitting.

About the eyes, I've got blue eyes, which were always considered rare here in Canada, but one of my friends in Scotland (we mock each other a lot) insisted that my eyes were boring because they're blue, whereas his are green.

ysmalan
June 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Oh I think this is the right place for me. I'm kind of golden brown or something. At least I'm not "dark" and I'm definitely not blonde either, so I guess if I'm somewhere in between, I belong here. :D

I really need to protect my hair from the sun... I've got a few old strands that are more or less blonde, just because of a week spent on a beach in Turkey. I like my golden tones, but that's too much! :silly:

Lamb
June 11th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I want to start a support group for people of undiagnosable hair and eye colors!

I would definitely join that group, but for the time being, I'm joining this one. ;)
My hair is somewhere between dark blond, brown, and light red. In the sunshine, it sometimes has a distinctly ruddy tint, but whatever the season/time of day, it is always a light shade of some sort of brown.
This is my favorite sunshine pic (taken last October):
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/E_Agnes/hairandsunshine2.jpg
And this one is evening, lamplight:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/E_Agnes/DSCN0703.jpg

Both pics are without flash. What gives?? :silly:

Lamb
June 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Sorry for the huge pic - whenever I try to fix anything on photobucket, I get an "IE crash detection" warning and my browser goes down. I'll have to find another photo storing website.

SeaPhoenix
June 11th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Lamb,
Photos in both lights are beautiful! Very pretty colors :-)

hurricane_gia
June 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM
You have the sweetest curls!! I am all envious now. :D

ReadingRenee
June 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
oooh pretty pictures Lamb! My natural hair looks very similar in the sunlight. I don't know where all that copper comes from!

Lamb
June 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Thank you, SeaPhoenix, hurricane_gia, and Reading Renee. :)
My hair has one big problem with the (otherwise beneficial) sunshine: it fades and dries out over the summer. It doesn't turn into a lighter shade, it just - fades away.

Alaskanheart
June 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Okay I think this is where I belong too.I went to the blond thread first, but really Im not sure if I am blonde anymore.

Very light blond until 13-15 years old and then started coloring addictively up until last July.Yey 1 year anniversary of no haircolor next month!

I have about 8 inches of this unidentifiable blondish/ashy/light brown color, even my husband looks at me sometimes and says , what kindof haircolor is that?I thought you were a blonde?Whoops, so did I!

I cant wait until its all virgin, maybe It will be easier to identify then?

chloeishere
June 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yay, someplace I belong! :happydance:
I really don't feel comfortably classifying my hair as either light brown or dark blonde. It's too light (I think) for light brown, and too dark/ too many red highlights to be called dark blonde. I just try to make sure it looks healthy and clean.
I've got lots of pictures though... I really try not to think about it too much, but I spend too much time trying to decide what color it is. This is after my most recent cassia:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3980c.jpg
Wavy, after a trim
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3658c.jpg
Bright sunlight
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3560c.jpg
Cloudy outdoor light
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3496c.jpg

Who knows!
It's nice to see everyone here. Though it may be hard to classify our color, I generally think it's still beautiful, and so variable and interesting!

daydreamer
June 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I could also just as easily put myself in this category, heh. Many of you that have posted I would totally classify as dark blonde! There just seems to be this strange no-man's-land between light brown/dark blonde.
I would join the unidentifiable color thread. ;) My eyes are equally vague.... some weird combination of green, blue, gray, flecks of warmer shades. I usually just say gray.

Cloverleaf
June 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I'm growing out blond dye, and my natural shade seems to be between dark blond and light brown I guess. I'm still trying to get used to the darker color, but I'm determined to go natural from now on. The color depends on the lighting and how clean (or dirty) my hair is too!

goldenbrunette
June 12th, 2008, 03:53 AM
chloeishere - your hair is absolutely gorgeous! the colour, texture..wow your hair is now an inspiration to me as it's a similar colour aswell. what is your routine?? you obviously take lots of care of it, i want your hair!

goldenbrunette
June 12th, 2008, 03:54 AM
oh and btw what does cassia mean?

Shypii90
June 12th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I think i fit into this thread more! lol
my hair's light brown in effect, I think.
Light enough to turn blond in summer. Dark enough to look brown (I think)

Sunlit:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj306/Shypii90/2008%20Hair%20progress/sideview.jpg

Siava
June 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Sunlit:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj306/Shypii90/2008%20Hair%20progress/sideview.jpg

I love it! I wish more curly haired guys would grow their hair out like yours.

Saranne772
June 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I was browsing through photos and this shows my hair changes through my childhood. Blonde and golden brown mostly

http://file026a.bebo.com/5/large/2007/05/28/11/19585513a4509746960b391925443l.jpg

This one shows the blonde streaks the sun gives me really well:
http://file030a.bebo.com/9/large/2007/05/28/12/19585513a4509808427b656380666l.jpg

This is similar to the colour I have now:
http://file034a.bebo.com/3/large/2007/05/29/09/19585513a4519457208b414229873l.jpg

This was when I was 8 and it had a darkish stage. Oh thats the welsh national costume btw (part of it)
http://file033a.bebo.com/0/large/2007/05/28/14/19585513a4511322628b736728245l.jpg

This is also my hair colour now- I was 9
http://file020a.bebo.com/7/large/2007/07/17/09/19585513a4998417400l.jpg

Finally this is the most mousy colour haired photo I could find
http://file017a.bebo.com/5/large/2007/07/17/09/19585513a4998446455l.jpg

Lamb
June 12th, 2008, 06:24 AM

Sunlit:

That's really cool! You're lucky with your curls. Looks like our hair is a very similar color in the sun.

Chloeishere, your hair is absolutely stunning - what is your routine?

Saranne, these pics are so cute. I am a bit envious since I couldn't have long hair when I was a kid - my hair was way too uncooperative for it.

hurricane_gia
June 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Aw, Saranne, you are so cute!!

Stagecoach
June 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Ah, this is my group! I've got everything from blond streaks, dark blond, light brown, brown and red tones.

Over all I'm constantly at war whether I should refer to it as dark blond or light brown.

I dont' really have any special care tips for my color hair though! But I do recomend ACV rinsing and Catnip tea rinsing.

chloeishere
June 12th, 2008, 10:49 PM
chloeishere - your hair is absolutely gorgeous! the colour, texture..wow your hair is now an inspiration to me as it's a similar colour aswell. what is your routine?? you obviously take lots of care of it, i want your hair!

oh and btw what does cassia mean?

Thank you so much! What a lovely thing to say! :o Thank you too, Lamb! (Didn't see this at first, as it was on the next page).

I just realized these were all done with the same washing method-- wow, I had no idea! I use something called Dairy Whip to wash with. I vary conditioners, but I don't use silicone, it removes my waves and the shine looks different-- less multi-tonal, it's just white shine, instead. Also, I have fine hair, so I don't like build-up.

Here's a link to my blog entry about dairy whip (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=5731)-- it's soap, like shampoo bars, but much easier to work with, at least for me. It's soft, like firm frosting, and lathers and rinses clean. I consider it a midpoint between conditioner only and shampoo bars-- it's more cleansing than conditioner, but MUCH less stripping than shampoo bars (like shampoo bars are much less stripping than commercial shampoo, for me). I also don't get build-up with it, and no longer use an acid rinse. For conditioner, I generally use Giovanni 50:50, or the generic (sally's version) of matrix biolage conditioning balm (I tend to mix either with a protein and cone free VO5 cheapie, to make them more liquidy). My normal leave-in is camellia oil.

Cassia is something that I started about a month ago. I LOVE what it does for my hair-- makes it stronger, thicker, and wavier. It's also known as "neutral henna." It has a somewhat similar effect to henna on your hair (very good for the scalp and hair), but it doesn't change your hair color, and it's not permanent like henna. We have an active "cassia" thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406), it's interesting reading! I use the cheapo medicinal "senna" instead of the expensive, meant to be used for hair, cassia.

That's pretty much all I do-- I sometimes will switch up my leave-in, but I really don't even bother to do most deep treatments anymore-- the only deep treatment I use anymore is the cassia, and the rest of the time I just wash, condition, turbie for a bit, and put in a drop of camellia oil.

Sorry this is so long, and hope it helps!
I see there's a "Tawny" thread now, too! I like that word to describe hair. It's sort of... sultry. :eyebrows: Much more flattering than "dishwater blonde," too. Always a bonus!

goldenbrunette
June 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Lol, thanks for answering my question; I will definitely be getting some camellia oil. :)

I am about to read your blog entry on dairy whip (which kinda sounds like a chocolate and is making me hungry). I am also yet to read the thread, but I'm definitely up for experimenting with this cassia if it will give me hair like yours, I mean seriously, you must wake up every day knowing that no matter what else is going on your hair is guaranteed to look fabulous!

Infact I find this whole thread inspiring. I've never been quite satisfied with my natural hair colour and found it boring. I always longed to be black or dark brown or light blonde. However the pictures posted by people with a similar hair colour to mine have showed me how good our hair colour can look!

Siava
June 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Infact I find this whole thread inspiring. I've never been quite satisfied with my natural hair colour and found it boring. I always longed to be black or dark brown or light blonde. However the pictures posted by people with a similar hair colour to mine have showed me how good our hair colour can look!

I totally agree. Our hair can wear many hats. We're lucky. ;)

Paniscus
June 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I think I *may* fit in here. As a child, I too had blondish hair. Now, my hair seems to be a dull-going-grey brown with a few blonds and reds (and various shades of brown) mixed in. I have been doing a few henna glossings though, so I guess I'm pushing the red, but not too much. You can see what my hair looks like now in my profile pic. Also, when my hair is exposed to the sun, it does go lighter and brighter.

Blueglass
June 13th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I am a tawny. In my siggy I had some stawberry henna and it makes it look reddish, at least in the photo. I resently used a golden henna, actually a few grams of tumeric glaze, but even a few grams can be too much if you have light areas and had to lift the light areas with shampoo backing soda, conditioner and lemon and tone it down with stawberry, light brown, and marigold specially morrocco method hennas. Really closer to my natural tawny. Have to post new pics soon.

Joliebaby
June 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Chloeishere, your hair is lovely!

Haith
June 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Yaay! A thread I can fit into! I'm not actually sure exactly what colour my hair is (a common problem, I've found) but I'm definately between golden and mousy.

sandrak
June 16th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I think I fit in this category. Here are some photos I took.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/sandrak1/June2008046.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/sandrak1/June2008036.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/sandrak1/June2008035.jpg

Amalthea
June 17th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I think that my hair falls into the light golden brown category. Right now it is hennaed, with an inch or so of ashy roots showing. Once it grows out more, it takes on more golden tones like this:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee170/nuggits27/PB240171.jpg

Henrietta
September 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Reeeeeeeefresh! :)

I think I fit here;) From time to time I like to call myself "dark blonde" and my haircolour is marked as "dark blonde" on hair dyes boxes, but I think of is as "brown" ;)

Alix
September 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I get highlights in the summer, but I don't get to bad root growth in the winter, however if I cut my fringe back in everyone wants to know if I died my hair darker. Cause then I've cut all my blonde out.

Krentje
September 5th, 2010, 01:21 PM
however if I cut my fringe back in everyone wants to know if I died my hair darker. Cause then I've cut all my blonde out.

O how i recognise this, Alix. Last autumn i got my hair trimmed back 2 inches, my own boyfriend asked me if i had coloured or "hennad" it!!

Any tips for winter root darkness? Camomille doesn't really work on my hair.

I always say my hair is brown, which other people contest by saying its either goldish or redish or blonde...

Would love to have sound brown hair, or just blonde or just red, but well.. instead of thinking we have 'nothing', we -the hair colour undefinable- should rather think we have it all. :cheese:

Capybara
September 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Amen, Krentje! We sure are lucky :D

My friends all refer to me as a blonde, while my family and I stubbornly refer to my haorcolour as light brown. Probably has something to do with the platinum blonde sister ... Since I joined LHC, though, I've discovered the term "blonnette." this, I find, is a happy medium. Satisfies both sides of the controversy :p

For the record, my hair does get substantially lighter in the summer months, so much so that I'll have a demarcation line in the winter :o

spidermom
September 5th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Years ago I asked my hair stylist what color she would call my hair, and she said "gold."

Now it's more platinum, but that's o.k.; both are valuable.

MandyBeth
September 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I'm a hennad mouse. My hair isn't that dark - 10 high dye henna doesn't max out - but my hair does not go blonde. I might pull red but I'm mid ash brown, aka mouse.

Henrietta
September 6th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I found a yummy name for my hair colour today. No more "dishwasher water":D It's caramel with chocolate. End of discussion;)
Yes, someone might say it's just brown/dark blonde, pffff... But I like it more when I may give a nice name to my hair colour. Nice and yummy:D

Moondust
September 6th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I found a yummy name for my hair colour today. No more "dishwasher water":D It's caramel with chocolate. End of discussion;)
Yes, someone might say it's just brown/dark blonde, pffff... But I like it more when I may give a nice name to my hair colour. Nice and yummy:D

Hehehe:) And mine is 'pecan';)

Henrietta
September 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hehehe:) And mine is 'pecan';)
You inspired me to find this yummy name ;)

Tiina
September 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I think I fit here, too. I'm more-or-less colourless. In sunlight (as in the signature pic) or when it hasn't been washed in a few days it sort of has a light brownish/yellowish tone but if it has been washed with shampoo it is practically grey and takes on whatever colour it has around it. In low light it can appear almost black, in lots of light or overlight, however, it is very light. My current roots are a tad darker and more pigmented than I remember though. Maybe the pregnancy affected it. Will see what happens. :)

I've also got a stripe of pure silvergrey at the back of my head but it is probably too early to call my colour by that. :p

ETA : on a closer look, or in a moment of increased colourblindness the sig-pic suddenly appears pinkish beige.:confused:

PiroskaCicu
September 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I'm a natural "golden mousy pale brown"... but right now it's dyed red. My hair turns a lot lighter in the summer, so that over time my hair on the ends is probably 5 times lighter than my roots!

rosek
September 6th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Mine is.... yeah I'm going to go with pretty colourless, and gets blonde if I go in the sun. The ends are... almost a strawberry blonde? Result of brown dye over blonde highlights and two years of fading.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5565&pictureid=77007

You can see the colourless part in the April picture, and the strawberry blonde ends in the others!

Kat
September 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I'm another of those who hasn't a clue what color her hair is! I usually use "light brown" these days because I definitely wouldn't call it blond anymore (it was quite blond when I was a kid and for the longest time I didn't get over calling it blond--though I used "dark blond"; probably not until a few years ago), but it's also not really what I'd call light brown (too much of a gold overtone). It's somewhere around the same color as Saranne and Jojo (or hell, like many of you in this thread, for that matter...funny that there's so many of us!)--kinda golden brown with an ashy (or mousy) tone, if that's possible (so would I be a warm because of the gold, or a cool because of the ashiness??). Shorty's is similar too.

It's weird because it's sort of a dark honey color, but if you look at the actual strands individually they look quite gold. But I've also got random strands of reddish, ashy-brown, and even black in there. Sometimes if you look and my hair is lying the right way, you can even see vertical bands of different colors, one section more gold, and one section more brownish. Really weird.

My eyes, though, are dark, dark brown (they look almost black). In the right light though you can see there's some gold in them too; in exactly the right light, they almost seem to have a golden glow behind them. My parents both have brown hair.

I call is Honey-Blond. Or Rum. Or Whisky.
I like this! "My hair is Scotch-colored!" I suppose it sorta is, a little...

she mentioned how dark blonde tends to look even darker when it's your overall color.
Ah, that would explain my "individual strands look gold" phenomenon.

I've thought of doing a henna gloss to bring out more red. I've love to henna my hair totally, but I'm afraid that I'd get too lazy to keep up my roots, and more importantly that I'd get tired of it and have to either buzz my head or grow two-tone hair for ten years (or whenever I got tired of two-tone and cut it off). Henna is not exactly a color that makes a subtle change in our hair--at least those with brown or black hair, or hair that is already more reddish, won't have such an obvious grow-out line.

the other thing I don't like about lighter hair is that it just doesn't have the shine of darker hair. :( Though if i pick up my braid and look close up, I do see a shine coming off it...little glitters off individual strands look almost iridescent!

Fiordiligi
September 7th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Yet another "not-sure-what-colour-my-hair-is" person here! I was dark blonde or golden as a child, and these days I'll usually just call it it good old English mouse. I could probably get away with "dark blonde" as the front still lightens noticeably, and I also have a blonde streak at my nape which looks a bit funny in updos.

Someone once called it "toffee", which was nice, but an ex of mine called it "evanescent". It took me ages to work out if that was a compliment or not. (In retrospect I think not!)

Lighting makes a huge difference. I *wish* my hair was really the colour in my profile pic, but that's just in my bathroom with afternoon sun falling on it. In my bedroom it's just so much duller.

Henrietta
September 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Guys... Don't call your hair "colourless" or "grey". I used to do it for many years and it didn't make me more happy with my hair ;) What about finding a yummy, food-related names? Honey, chocolate, caramel? And I recommend you also this funny wikipedia article: Shades of brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors#Brown). Maybe it;s not the most important thing but I believe it's better to have a nice name for your haircolour. "Colourless" sounds sad:(

Henrietta
September 16th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Refresh!:)

The summer is almost over, there's less sunny days and I noticed some ashy tones in my fringe. Probably they would appear in the rest of my hair too. I cannot say I like it. I prefer warm, honey and brown tones than this grey tone:( If it goes more ashy I will consider honey lightening...

kitschy
September 16th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I was really blond as a kid and got continually darker until age 40. I was considered dark blond/light brown. This is what I look like now that I'm going gray. I'm blond in places, brown underneath and silver on top.

jane53
September 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I'm golden, mousy, and pale brown, with some white and some medium brown thrown into the mix. Producing what you see below: