PDA

View Full Version : To those who don't use coconut oil in dry hair

vnv
February 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM
What does work for you?

I noticed in the wet or dry coconut oil thread that some people say their hair reacts badly when they use coconut oil in dry hair. After my first few coconut oil treatments I think my hair may be the same. My hair seems worse.

Is it worth trying the coconut oil treatment on wet hair? Does it make much difference or should I just stay away from coconut oil altogether?

Are there other such moisturizing/conditioning treatments I could try?

I started a few weeks ago with a regime of CWC, coconut oil treatments and sleeping with a silk prettywrap but like I said my hair seems to be getting worse :(

alwayssmiling
February 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I find less is more with coconut oil. I thought hated it but I was saturating my hair in Coconut oil every night for weeks. I now know that a small amount as a prewash on dry hair, once week (sometimes once a month) makes my hair feel great. I also find if I overdo EVOoil I get almost a dry weird feeling to my hair.

I haven't tried adding coconut oil to shampoo yet, something I really need to do.....

Its all about experimenting and find what works for you.

SpinDance
February 9th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I can use coconut oil applied to dry hair as an overnight deep treatment before washing, but I have portion control issues when I try to apply it to either wet or dry hair after washing. No matter how little I try to use, it always ends up being too much. If I want to put something in my hair when it is dry I use Panacea, any of the 3 blends works well for me, in very tiny amounts, just as much as a touch of the finger to the surface, rubbed between my palms, then applied to my hair.

Until I started to use oil shampoo I used to use a drop or two of Beldaran's oil (similar to Africa's Best, but without the scent), or a finger touch of Panacea applied to wet but not dripping hair after washing. These worked better for me than jojoba, Shea or other oils. I don't need a leave in when I use coconut oil shampoo.

BrightEyes7
February 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Perhaps you're trying too much all at once.

You're supposed to try one new thing at a time to figure out what works for you. I only apply coconut oil to my dry hair as a deep treatment before washing. Then I'll put a little little little bit on my ends when wet as a leave in.

You have to experiment. Everyone's hair is different. What works for some won't work for others, even if they are pretty much the same hair type.

SpinDance
February 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Excellent point, BrightEyes7. It has taken me over a year and a half of very slow experimenting to find what is currently working for me, and I'm not nearly done. Some of the things I've learned about my hair and its needs have really surprised me and I would never have figured out if I hadn't taken it slow and careful.

Miss Misha
February 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I agree with the less is more theory. I have finefinefine hair and I use very little, but it does do wonders on my ageing dry ends. I put coconut oil in my hair when wet after CO washing. I use just enough to make my palms shiney and I apply only to the length, concentrating on the bottom. I also mix some with water and shampoo about 2 times per week for a regular wash. I use a lump about the size of a pea, mix with about 1 tablespoon each shampoo and warm water (to melt the oil) and apply all over. I've had a greasy scalp all my life and this seems to work.

cataphract
February 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I find that if I get just enough to rub between my hands and make my palms shiny and then rub my palms down the length of my wet hair that I get as good of results as I'm going to get from coconut oil. Anything more than that and I end up an oil slick. I think I have pretty low porosity hair, though.

Lianna
February 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Either way I get somewhat crunchy ends. But with damp hair is less. Oiling in general with damp hair is much more moisturizing. Coconut oil isn't the only oil around, if something doesn't work for me I seek other things, that's how it works for me and coconut oil.

einna
February 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
It might be build up, I get it pretty fast in my ends.
Also too much in hair, as people has suggested. I have never had so many bad hair days as I have after joining LCH ;). Finding a good routine and portion controll takes time. But in general my hair is getting better.
I think it is worth it to try coconut oil on wet hair, and as a pree wash treatment, because it is good for many peoples hair, and one of the few oils that penetrates hair shaft. And you have already bought some ;) Good luck.

Lianna
February 9th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Avocado oil and olive oil can also penetrate hair. Half a finger tip of coconut oil is too much for my iii hair (will get crunchy) and won't even touch most strands...so I pass.

ddiana1979
February 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I don't know what your hairtype is, but I add all my oils when my hair is wet, with the sole exception of camellia, which is extremely light.

If I add coconut or olive oil to dry hair, it looks greasy and lank, even after washing. I can use coconut oil mixed with my shampoo, however. . . that works great for me (see my signature, Movie Star Shampoo). So, for coconut, I always add it to the shampoo on wet hair. I use 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in my henndigo mixture, also wet hair.

For lighter oils, like my absolute favorites: NightBlooming's Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil, Argan, or occasionally camellia; I smooth just a tiny bit (usually 4 drops) through towel dried damp hair. Camellia is the only one (so far) I can add to dry hair, and I just use 2-4 drops for that to get rid of flyaway hair & get a pretty shine.

When in doubt, less is always more when it comes to oils.

jesis
February 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I love Argan Oil! I use Healthy Sexy Hair's Argan Oil, but my hair loves cones. I've never tried the plain kind, though.

EVOO is pretty good too.

Cailie
February 9th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I have the best luck with 2-3 drops of extra virgin olive oil on damp hair, specially in the winter when coconut oil solidifies in my hair (because around here, it's way less than 25 celcius !)

have fun experimenting !

Tikwichka
February 9th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Perhaps you are using too much coconut oil? Try smaller quantities. Also, give it a few tries and then see how you feel.

vnv
February 10th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Yeah when I used it on dry hair I did use a lot. I will try using less, on wet hair next.

Thanks for all your great advice :D

krissykins
February 10th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I would definitely try coconut oil on wet hair! It has made a world of difference for me! My hair does just fine when I put coconut oil on dry hair, but it feels SO much better when I apply it to wet hair.

As for other moisturizing treatments, have you tried SMTs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)?

moonlight
February 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I used to use Monoi (coconut oil) because I loved the scents so much. I *always* used too much!

So then I switched to Jojoba on wet hair, which my hair likes lots better and just used the Monoi for my skin and sniffing :)

After I run out of Jojoba, I'm going to try Olive Oil and see how that goes.

Sometimes I put a little essential oil in my Jojoba oil too....ylang ylang or geranium :)

vnv
February 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I would definitely try coconut oil on wet hair! It has made a world of difference for me! My hair does just fine when I put coconut oil on dry hair, but it feels SO much better when I apply it to wet hair.

As for other moisturizing treatments, have you tried SMTs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)?

Thanks. I will give coconut oil a try on wet hair first, see how that goes, and keep SMTs in mind for my next hair experiment.

krissykins
February 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks. I will give coconut oil a try on wet hair first, see how that goes, and keep SMTs in mind for my next hair experiment.

Good luck! :flowers:

HeatherJenae
February 27th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I start with completely dry hair and solid coconut oil. I get a big chunk out of the jar and rub it between my hands, then start slathering it through my hair until my hair is completely coated with it from roots to ends. I let it sit for an hour or so, then I get into a steamy shower to let the heat work it's magic, then I shampoo it out. It's really important to thoroughly shampoo it out. I made the mistake of not doing that very well the first time and my hair looked extremely oily when dry that day. Everyone was asking why my hair was still wet at work. I didn't tell them it was oil, I just went along with what they were saying and said it was still damp. But if I make sure to get it all out, the results are fantastic. My hair feels like butter. It's so soft and silky. Then, like the other ladies have said, I hit my head all over with a very light coat of coconut oil to tame the flyaways, and then I'm good to go!

lunache
February 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I've been using coconut oil for the past few weeks and it has been a revolution in awesomeness for my hair. However, everyone's hair is different and requires its own methods of TLC.

Me, I have heavy-duty coarse, curly hair and applying it on damp (80% damp - not dripping wet) hair makes it super soft. In addition, every night I pass wet hands through the length and put a bit more coconut oil. My hair just drinks it up. Also, I've found ktani's oil-wash method (with coconut oil) to work better than anything else I've tried (it's in the articles section).

However, on totally dry hair, it's a different story. Coconut oil becomes a crunchy mess of an oil slick.