PDA

View Full Version : white dots and knots

yellowflower
February 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
i only had my hair cut about 3weeks ago and I already have white dots and the end of some strands and little knots, is this due to all the dye?

How can you prevent them? Is it just a case of keeping having your hair cut? My next cut is in about 3weeks and I am thinking about having another inch cut off, as the less dyed hair that is on my head the better.

Lianna
February 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I know it's a common problem for curly hair, I wouldn't say it's just dye result. Sometimes overmoisturizing can cause these knots (SSK). Is your hair stretchy? If so, a little protein would help with these knots. White dots are damage, you can only cut and treat the hair better now.

ScarlettAdelle
February 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
White dots can be a sign of splits in the making or heat damage. Do you blowdry or heat style?

Are the knots on single strands, like a single strand tied on itself? Are you sure they're knots, or could they be nodes? Nodes are irregularities in growth, neither of which are direct results of coloring.

Feel free to pm me with questions, I'm a hairdresser :)

Avital88
February 8th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I only have white dots when i just dyed or when ive used heat..i finally s&d'd them all off. It took me 2 months..
Hopefully when you had your trim they will stay away!

yellowflower
February 9th, 2011, 06:36 AM
yes i do heat style as my hair is curly and the knots are on individual strands, there isnt lots but there is a couple and the white dots you can only see in certain lights

jesis
February 9th, 2011, 06:56 AM
The white dots are definitely from heat styling. Those white dots are basically where your hair has gotten too hot and "exploded" from the inside out. Usually your hair will break off at these points.

I ALWAYS have to S&D after I heat style, which I've cut down to about once a month or so. It is very damaging to your hair.

x0h_bother
February 9th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hm I am going through the same thing but cut back significantly on heat styling. I have no splits whatsoever but because I am doing better at moisturizing, my hair is wayyy more tanly and the random days I do heat style ruin my hair worse (more white dots due to moisture.) It's a viscious cycle, avoiding moisture is what I am going to be doing, as my hair type can handle it and really isn't that much better for using it.

Avital88
February 9th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Those dots are actually the main reason why i quit the heat, right now i have nothing. Try not using heat for 1 month or 2 and s and d.. See what happens then.

yellowflower
February 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Those dots are actually the main reason why i quit the heat, right now i have nothing. Try not using heat for 1 month or 2 and s and d.. See what happens then.

If i dont dry my curls with a diffuser my hair is a freeze ball because of all the damage, its kind of a catch 22, it looks worse if i dont dry it with heat, although i have cut back the heat so i dont dry it till its bone dry i dry it till its about 70% dry

Tia2010
February 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM
If i dont dry my curls with a diffuser my hair is a freeze ball because of all the damage, its kind of a catch 22, it looks worse if i dont dry it with heat, although i have cut back the heat so i dont dry it till its bone dry i dry it till its about 70% dry

I agree with the others that stopping heat would be best especially if your hair is in fragile condition but if it looks bad without drying I can see your frustration.

Maybe get a good ceramic hairdryer that has a continuous cool setting. I have a Solano 3500 and the cool setting feels like a fan so that's less worry about heat damage if I had to use it.

If you just can't stop drying that's what I would suggest but I would definitely give up the flat iron if you use one .

yellowflower
February 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM
No No i dont use straighteners (unless i go to the hairdresser's as a treat and because they can dry curly hair)

I have tried tonight without the hairdryer, I have just washed and put serum in it, so hopfully should be ok tomorrow, hopefully will be dry by bedtime, that 4hours so should be enough

Octave
February 9th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I get some white dots, and I don't use any heat appliances.
:neutral:
I even get them on my the strands of hair by my neck that are usually thinner just by cutting them(yes I use sharp scissors). :confused:

Lianna
February 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM

I know most people have nicer looking hair when heat styled, but I'm the oposite, LOL. :cheese: Without interfering with your right to heat style (which I don't mind at all)...Maybe you like damp oiling, controls a lot of frizz! A drop on freshly washed hair is enough.

yellowflower
February 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Its feeling a little crunchy in some places where it is drying

Tia2010
February 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Its feeling a little crunchy in some places where it is drying

I can't go by how my hair looks or feels as its drying. It always looks and feels weird/bad as its drying but when its completely dry it looks fine :). Let yours dry completely then decide what you need to do. Maybe oiling on damp hair or switching oils or something. Trail and error is the only way :)

yellowflower
February 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
It been 2hours and basically dry now, it feels ok and looks ok, not as poofy as with the hairdryer so thats good, thanks for the idea

Lianna
February 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I can't go by how my hair looks or feels as its drying. It always looks and feels weird/bad as its drying but when its completely dry it looks fine :).

My hair looks so bad when it's drying!

owlathena
February 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I get white dots and knots in my hair, and I havnt used heat in almost a year, and rarely before that (Lately I've been itching to straighten though, as I've gained a lot of length and would love to see how long it "really is" and my hair always feels so silky straightened, even though its damaging in the long run). When I S&D I find perfectly healthy hairs with a knot tied in the middle of them. If its a loose knot, sometimes I can undo it, most of the time I have to snip it off. I'm sure its just cased by me wearing my hair down all the time and it getting all tangled. It seems so strange to me that hairs can do that.