PDA

View Full Version : Parting tips

Kaya
February 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
So, I love braiding my hair, and lately I've taken to braiding it more to practice and polish. Today, I decided to try a double french braid, similar to the style I had braided when I went to the Ren-fest.
Needless to say, it's not spectacular, but I'm still happy with it.

But I'm hoping one of you lovely ladies has tips to get a straight part down the back of your head. I can never seem to get a straight line down the back and it drives me crazy! :justy: I try with a mirror and a rat-tail comb, but I still can't seem to fight through my thick, lightly-oiled hair. Help please!

fluffybunny
February 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I use the point of a hairstick and go fairly quickly, then check the result in a mirror. I think actually trying to watch in a mirror while parting the back would make it more difficult. Going too slowly and carefully seems to create more of a wiggly line for me, too.

Fiordiligi
February 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I go quickly down the parting with something pointy, usually a hairstick, and then hold it at the bottom hairline, and keep it there firmly while putting my fingers down through the hair and separating the mass of hair into two sections, one with each hand. It is a bit hard to explain, but I honestly never got the hang of this until last summer, and now I can do it dead straight almost every time.

There is a bit on one of Torrin Paige's Youtube videos which suddenly made it clear to me, but I'm afraid I can't remember offhand which one.

adiapalic
February 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Never have I thought to use a hairstick...how obvious!! :silly:

Lianna
February 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I part half, spread hairs on top, then part the rest. It's easier with damp hair.

excentricat
February 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
What also helps for me at least is to do a really rough division first, and throw each half forward. That way when you're making the actual division, you only have to deal with the back hairs and not the side hairs that have decided they want to be back there.

ScarlettAdelle
February 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
The easiest way I know is to find the point where you want your part to end (in your case, the nape of your neck, put your finger or thumb there, then take a hair stick or the end of a rat-tail comb, place the end at the beginning of the part & draw a line to your finger.