PDA

View Full Version : Feye's trim

cantom03
February 8th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Has anyone done Feye's blunt trim on really thick hair? Going to trim my daughter's hair soon and mine in the future and we both have more than a 4" pony circ. I am concerned about cutting neatly acoss after pulling a single pony down in the back, any suggestions?

SheaLynne
February 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I don't know if mine is as thick as yours, but it is over 4" diameter. I do a u-shaped Feye's trim every month (1/4 inch) on mine with no problems. I do go back and re-check from the front and the back several times (and make sure I take off less to start with so that if I keep evening up I do not end up with a bigger trim than I wanted!). Since your hair is curlier than mine, I would think it wouldn't be a big problem even if it isn't perfectly straight?

Madora
February 8th, 2011, 11:45 AM
My hair was 42" and thick. I used feye's self trim and it worked perfectly.

I think the most important thing is to do it slowly and use sharp scissors.

Anywhere
February 8th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I don't have thick hair but I would suggest using very sharp scissors and cutting it off in small bits, as in not trying to saw through the whole mass of ends if that makes sense. Cutting off tiny bits should get you a nice clean hemline, as the hair won't be trying to squeeze out of the scissors.

(Sorry if thats common knowledge for you thicker haired folks.. :o)

Speedbump
February 8th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I am over 4" circ, and I've been using Feye's method for years without problems. I used to do the "U" but I've done the straight-across the last three times and it went fine. I found that cutting it wet helps the hair "stick" together and keeps it from spraying out so much. Also, doing it in two to four hanks has been helpful for me, using the just-cut hank as my measuring guide. :)

Also, make sure you have RAZOR SHARP scissors. I can't stress that enough! :)

Jenn of Pence
February 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Good to know...this is one of the reasons I hesitate to do a self-trim. I hope to try it in the future. :)

cantom03
February 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks eveyone, I really appreciate the help. I'm a bit scared. And both of us have wurly hair so that does take some pressure off perfection. I signed up to the no trim challenge for 2011 so I won't have to worry about doing my own cut for quite a while.

brunette
February 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
When I used to do my daughter's thick hair I would end up with an uneven stub, the way round this I found was to keep the band on the end of her hair and then point cut into the stub until it was more or less even. It always looked fine once the hair was let loose.

lapushka
February 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Getting a *really* good pair of scissors is most definitely key, and even then not trying to saw through it all at once helps.

Avital88
February 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
With feyes self trim its quite easy to do, i have 5" inch circ. Myself and i use the technique with parting your hair in 2 ponytails and pull straight,then cut off as much as needed. It works really good for me, im not planning on visiting a hairdresser any time soon in the future

AZDesertRose
February 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
My hair is fairly thick, and I use Feye's method, although I do the U-shaped trim because that's what I like. :)

Just get good scissors and take your time. I've been doing it for a while, so I can do mine fairly quickly, but when you're first getting used to trimming your own hair, take your time.

I spent about what I'd have to spend on a decent professional haircut on scissors, and it's worth it because I don't have to go to the salon and be fussed at about layers or bangs/fringe or anything else.