PDA

View Full Version : Cut my own fringe!

Barniie
February 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM
So you know how everyone says 'never cut your own fringe, It always turns out horrible'

Well, they're wrong.

Without any previous haircutting experience, yesterday, I did as i usually do (crazy, spontaneous stuff) and i ponytailed my neck-length 'fringe' and chopped it off.
Now, I can see the shock in your eyes, but to tell you the truth, they look pretty damn good.

I will soon uplaod photos, but for those of you wishing to cut a fringe, heres what to avoid:

Don't cut your fringe wider than your irises
Make your fringe section 'trangle' shaped
Cut it off in little, teeny tiny bits

spidermom
February 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the results. I cut my own face-framing fringe the first time (but now it's grown out to breast length) and liked how it looked, too. My hair stylist even told me it was good (but she had improvements to make).

Anjou
February 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I would love to see photos. At least once a year I'm tempted to cut bangs and then immediately regret it! :p Maybe I need to brush up on my technique!

Barniie
February 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM
sorry about the 'school ponytail'

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZfFbfxHi-y4/TVDSNgPF_PI/AAAAAAAAAD8/b7f3G8E-lFw/s1600/Photo+on+2011-02-08+at+16.04.jpg

and out...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZfFbfxHi-y4/TVDShugKBsI/AAAAAAAAAEE/XhojzUNoFJ8/s1600/Photo+on+2011-02-08+at+16.08.jpg

They have a bit of an uneven centre, but it will grow out in a few weeks.

christinemariep
February 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
You look great with bangs! Good job! :)

Amraann
February 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I think it came out very nice.

Who says you can't cut your own bangs? I have always cut mine.

Barniie
February 8th, 2011, 12:47 AM
thanks:) does anyone have any nice styles i can do with my fringe at school? it's really strict so you have to have your hair tied up, no sparkly or coloured hair ties, clips, or pins. bobby pins, and blue and red hair ties are allowed. Thanks!

Phexlyn
February 8th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Your fringe turned out very pretty, good job! :)

You can also make rectangle or crescent-shaped bangs, although triangle is easier to section off and more common. ;)

evampr18
February 8th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Don't cut your fringe wider than your irises
Cut it off in little, teeny tiny bits

i wish i had seen this before i cut mine in china on my own in june of 2010. haha...
june:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6316&pictureid=84022
today, feb 8:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6316&pictureid=95620

bunzfan
February 8th, 2011, 01:43 AM
That looks really even for a first try. wWhen i was training to cut hair we were told to start in the middle as your guide and once you cut that add bits from each side and you the first piece you cut as your marker.

Mesmerise
February 8th, 2011, 01:59 AM
When I was younger and had a fringe I always cut it by myself! Sometimes the hairdresser would cut it the first time, but I used to trim it. Once my friend cut it for me during textiles class at school and she cut it waaaaaay too short and I was self conscious for weeks!

Anyway, I never had problems getting it straight. I doubt I'll ever go back to having a fringe though, cause last time I had one I just naturally sort of pushed it off my forehead cause I'm used to not having anything there! It would hide forehead lines though ;)

Avital88
February 8th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Thats a good job! I also always cut them myself, right now im growing my fringe out. That is taking quite long , and sometimes i feel the uge to cut it again haha maybe i will maybe i dont

Barniie
February 8th, 2011, 02:36 AM
evampr18:
you have really fast growing hair, mine was as long as yours in exactly twice as long later.

Dragon
February 8th, 2011, 03:12 AM
You have done a great job for your first time :)

hibiscus
February 8th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Good job, and its got a nice shape to it.

alwayssmiling
February 8th, 2011, 04:27 AM
It looks great! I particularly like the way you took it way back. Often when people decide to cut their fringe in for the first time they get nervous and make it too thin and spindly. I like your tips especially about only cutting as wide as our irises. I wish I had known that when I first started with a fringe, its way too wide now and I'm going to grow some of it out.

My tips would be to always cut dry and to flat iron first to get it perfectly straight then cut in too sections pulling taught and down. I always cut tiny bits regularly so if I do make a mistake it doesn't take long for it to grow out.

Well done.

Anywhere
February 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
That looks awesome. I cut my own bangs but I no longer like them and ugh, they're a pain to grow out.

enfys
February 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
It really suits you! Also, it's going to keep on looking better as your hair settles into place. It needs to get used to facing in a different direction!

KittyLost
February 8th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Great job! The shorter bit in the middle is hardly noticible.

kmangus
February 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Very well done! I also cut my own fringe, but I find side bangs very easy to cut. I do not believe I would be brave enough for "straight across" fringe. :)

rosek
February 10th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Wow, they look great! I don;t know that I would trust myself to cut bangs in, but I trim my own.

curlymarcia
February 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for posting these, it looks pretty good and is an inspiration for me (I am also cutting my bangs myself), but I am not as good.

stevekooch
February 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM
It looks fine, where is the problem? Great job!

evampr18
February 16th, 2011, 12:45 AM
evampr18:
you have really fast growing hair, mine was as long as yours in exactly twice as long later.

My fringe grows enough to look visibly fast, but as for the rest of my hair it grows so slow. Blehhh. :)

Endymion's_Star
February 16th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Your new bangs look super cute :)

I've always cut mine, but my hair grows so quickly that if I didn't I'd be at the salon every weekend. >.<

The best tips I've ever had were from my grandmother (who cut my hair when I was a kid) Use grips to keep all the other hair back, so your fringe always stays even, don't flat-iron it, because when you let it dry naturally/ don't flat-iron it, it'll probably be a little too long. Use a fine tooth comb on it, and trim it millimetres at a time O.o

I too had a friend who trimmed too much. I used to pin it back with barrettes because I was so embarrassed!

Fairlight63
February 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Your bangs look really good!
I used to cut my own bangs, but I am growing them out right now. I HATE hair in my face! I have curly hair & they would never lay right. They are finally about chin length now, it has taken about a yr. to get this long, so I am trying to keep sissors away from them.