PDA

View Full Version : Love the scent, hate the conditioner

HintOfMint
February 7th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I'm hoping the little potion makers on this site can help.

I bought The Body Shop Rainforest moisturizing conditioner and I adore the scent and I've received many compliments on the smell. However, the conditioner itself is terrible. It leaves a residue no matter how much I rinse and my hair tangles even when it is up (still figuring out how the hair fairies managed THAT one). Moreover, my hair is virtually matte. It leaves my hair with very little shine.

The scent is so amazing though. I'm wondering what I can do to make it a better conditioner and still have the scent. Should I mix it with another conditioner? Should I mix honey, any oils?

rocket_surgeon
February 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM
What are the ingredients?

skaempfer
February 7th, 2011, 10:36 PM
You'd have to look it up (I'm using dh's I-pad and everything is a pain on it!) but I think there was some discussion about the bs rf conditioner; it was not a big hit with most people. The hair butter in the same line, however, was, and I like it too.

But what to do with your regular bs rf conditioner, I don't know. You could try mixing in a little coconut or olive oil, though you might want to get the refined stuff, otherwise the coconuts will overpower that smell you like so much.

Good luck!

Cailie
February 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM
use it as shaving cream ?

or try clarifying before using it ?

McFearless
February 7th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe use a tiny bit as a leave-in? Sorry I don't have any advice.

Yosha
February 8th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Maybe it's not the co but the shampoo that's leaving a residue. When I got my samples the saleswoman told me to mix the shampoo with some water before putting it on the scalp, because it can be difficult to wash out when you don't use it like this. I had no problem rinsing out the shampoo nor the conditioner, though the co didn't do much for some people from what I heard (my hair liked it). It left my hair very shiny and pretty, and didn't tangle (my hair is pretty tangle free anyway).

LocustSpawning
February 8th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I've read some awful reviews on the rainforest range, but some people rave about it.

I'm still going to try it though.. hmm...

Konstifik
February 8th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I have also had the residue-problem with that shampoo, no matter how well it lathered and how long I rinsed it out. However, I found that doing an ACV-rinse afterwards really helped! I didn't get that coated icky residue-feeling. :)

Copasetic
February 8th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I would worry that adding extra ingredients would change the smell quite a bit. And doing a vinegar rinse might drastically reduce the scent thats left in your hair. Tough situation! I normally have the opposite problem; love what it does, hate the smell.

HintOfMint
February 8th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe it's not the co but the shampoo that's leaving a residue. When I got my samples the saleswoman told me to mix the shampoo with some water before putting it on the scalp, because it can be difficult to wash out when you don't use it like this. I had no problem rinsing out the shampoo nor the conditioner, though the co didn't do much for some people from what I heard (my hair liked it). It left my hair very shiny and pretty, and didn't tangle (my hair is pretty tangle free anyway).

I don't use the shampoo, just the conditioner. I use Suave ocean breeze to shampoo, and I don't have a problem with that leaving a residue with my other conditioners.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
I may try a citric acid rinse instead of an ACV rinse (just the idea of vinegar in a warm shower makes me feel woozy and sick), but I am worried that any acid rinse might remove the scent.

I may also mix it with another conditioner that rinses out easily to maybe dilute it a bit. Maybe with another floral scented conditioner so that it doesn't change the scent too much.

Well I have a whole bottle to experiment with. Wish me luck! Also if anyone else has any recommendations, please let me know!

Yosha
February 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I don't use the shampoo, just the conditioner. I use Suave ocean breeze to shampoo, and I don't have a problem with that leaving a residue with my other conditioners.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
I may try a citric acid rinse instead of an ACV rinse (just the idea of vinegar in a warm shower makes me feel woozy and sick), but I am worried that any acid rinse might remove the scent.

I may also mix it with another conditioner that rinses out easily to maybe dilute it a bit. Maybe with another floral scented conditioner so that it doesn't change the scent too much.

Well I have a whole bottle to experiment with. Wish me luck! Also if anyone else has any recommendations, please let me know!

Then it can't be the shampoo, sorry for that. They don't have that fragrance as one of their perfumes do they? That would have been nice:cool:

HintOfMint
February 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM
So I just washed my hair and mixed the conditioner with V05 clarifying conditioner (Vanilla Mint Tea) about 1:1, and my hair is much less residue-y! My hair feels less tangly. It's still drying so I'll let you know how the scent balanced out with the mix. Next time I may make a modified SMT out of it and the V05 to see how that works.

Oh the life of high maintenance hair and its trappings.

GrowingGlory
February 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Use less conditioner? Dilute before application?

Tia2010
February 8th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I have the same problem with that conditioner ! My hair tangled and had no slip at all..It did have some shine... But all in all it was a fail for me. Maybe you could use it as a leave in on the ends or canopy?

Delila
February 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Just thought I'd chime in because I feel your pain. I've been known to keep using things mostly because of the fragrance, not because of the benefits, but I guess now I feel lucky that none of mine caused any major issues.

HintOfMint
February 27th, 2011, 06:15 PM
or try clarifying before using it ?

UPDATE!

I was still having problems with my hair even when I stopped using that conditioner so I decided to look at the ingredients in my shampoo. I was using one of the Suave ones and it had polyquats in it. I know that they're supposedly water soluble, but I've had multiple problems with buildup with that ingredient.

So I clarified with Neutrogena's Anti-Residue clarifying shampoo, and then used the Body Shop Rainforest conditioner and, such a difference!

My hair feels so much better and it has hardly any tangles. It turned out not to be the conditioner all along!

I'm still careful with buildup with that conditioner, so I alternate it with another, but so far, everything is good even with a CWC routine as long as I don't use the Suave shampoo.

Yosha
February 28th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Yay I'm glad it's working for you now :D