PDA

View Full Version : No heat curling problems.

vanity_acefake
February 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I have hair that is 2" past bsl, which is poker straight and a bit dry at the ends (winter dryness) which I have been trying to learn how to curl (no heat).
I've tried Curlformers, sponge curlers, wrap, snap and go curlers and old fashioned hard curlers. I've used a leave in conditioner, curled when damp and left to dry.
Every time spectacular fail! My hair ends up looking frizzy and tangled.
What am I doing wrong?
Any tips would be so greatfully received.
:)

jasper
February 7th, 2011, 04:03 PM
My hair won't hold a curl if it isn't completely dry before I unroll it, so it works better for me to roll dry hair and sleep on it over night. Also, it will get too poofy and frizzy at the ends if I roll it too tight on rag or sponge rollers.

It might help to use end papers if you are getting frizzy ends. The way I remember them being used was to comb the section straight and smooth, fold an end paper over the end, mist it with water pull it slightly down the hair to get all the strands in line and then roll the hair in the paper onto the roller.

BrightEyes7
February 7th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I'm just as clueless as you. I have sponge curlers and they either get super frizzy or don't curl at all!

I want to try those curl formers but I think I'd need to double up or just curl the ends... either way those things are pricey!

vanity_acefake
February 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
BrightEyes7 I got them on eBay! You are right they are rather costly. I hope when I get the hang of them I will get the curls I so would love to have.
Jasper end papers are a good idea. I will definately give them a try.

darklion
February 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I only get the frizz, if I've inadvertently bent the ends while curling. If I try to roll the ends TOO tightly and I mess with it too much... it will frizz.
I've had the best luck if my hair is already semi-dry when I roll it. Then I don't roll it all the way to the top. I'll only roll it to my shoulders and then go to bed. Too much hair on the roll will prevent it from drying and you don't want that. If it's still damp in the morning, carefully unwrap each one individually into a sausage roll (think shirley temple), compress it into a flat curl (collapse it upward), and put a pin into it. Then pull out the hair dryer and dry the curl. Let it cool, then unpin it.
Personally, very little curls my hair. It desires to be mildly wavy and that's about all it will do. The above procedure works pretty good though. It's provided the best curls for me.

Rocket22
February 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
when I first took the no heat challenge I bought the caruso steam rollers and love them. I have super fine hair and really need some kind of bend on the very bottom to give me a decent hemline. I can put in a whole head of curles and have tons of curls, or just put in two at the very bottom to give me an undercurl they work pretty well.

Shermie Girl
February 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Caruso rollers work great They curl with warm steam, not heat and are really gentle. They are a little spendy but worth it. :D

Tikwichka
February 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Have a look at Torrin's YouTube channel. She has a video on how to make curls.

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

SummerSkye
February 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Can't remember if you have tried "rags " in your hair? I haven't a clue how to do it but bet you could find out on the net. How about lots of little pleats with setting lotion when your hair is wet and leaving it to dry? I know you said you tried it before and it didn't work but if you got the old fashioned setting lotion and do lots of pleats I bet you could get at least a wave.

xoxophelia
February 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
The way I do mine I actually only use my fingers and mini claw clips which helps prevent kinkiness from bobby pins or rolling the ends oddly around a roller (better control). I just wrote an article on it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=200

If you make your sections smaller your will get more defined coils. They will look like the one in the video at the bottom of the article.

As far as frizz goes.. I wore my hair using this method to a wedding and the day before I bunned on slightly damp hair with jojoba oil (enough that you wouldn't want to wear it down but not so much that my hair looked greasy when up in a bun). Then, the next day after I washed it and put it up in the coils it turned out very well.

cubedcoley
February 7th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I switched to oil shampoo or Ktani's oil shampoo method. Here is a link to her article that is AWESOME, and she updates it regularly, so you will find up-to-date information as well as links to important information in the oil shampoo thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191

It makes my fine 1a hair bend VERY easily now, whereas, curl used to fall out after a few hours, or look frizzy! I say this would be something to look into trying, because it may not be your technique of rolling causing your problems!

Also, I have heard great things about the Caruso curlers, but have not tried them myself. Happy curling!! :)

UltraBella
February 7th, 2011, 08:00 PM
My love affair with the Caruso started many years ago.
Pics and info here :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52864&highlight=Favorite+curls