PDA

View Full Version : My Mother was right!!!

SummerSkye
February 7th, 2011, 11:53 AM
At the age of forty I have to admit my Mother was right! Well when it came to hair anyway! I had tb length dark blonde hair with sunstreaks until my mid teens, I wasn't allowed to cut it the main reason being that my hair was lovely as it was and I wouldn't suit short hair! Well I did, cut it off very short and died it dark. Since then Ive had perms , henna, dark hair but mostly highlighted blonde, short, long and everything in between. My Mum always said that my hair never was the same after I cut it and started messing about with dye! And I have finally realised that she was RIGHT! I was just telling my husband that I was going to stop highlighting my hair and go back to natural, grow it long and leave it alone apart from a couple of lighter streaks round my face which the sun used to do naturally! I then had a bit of an "oh" moment when I realised that I was planning on doing what my hair would do if I just left it alone in the first place!!! So my Mother was right!! Was your Mum right about your hair?
P.s. My Mum still has long hair, down to her waist, hasn't been inside a hairdressers since she was 14, wears it up all the time, doesn't do anything to it and she still looks great, she's in her late 60s now!

teela1978
February 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I actually keep finding things that my mom wasn't right about... apparently she's not infallible?

I do think that your mom is right on this one though. A lot of people dislike their natural color/texture for whatever reason, and will 'prove' how bad their natural hair is for their looks by showing an old picture. I always prefer the picture with virgin hair, every time.

Juneii
February 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM
my mom always insisted that having long straight ended hair looked best on me. I didn't believe her and went ahead and cut my hair short and layered them. She was right. I am growing it back to the way it was (I am a bit past the length I had before now) and it looks much better now.

lascuba
February 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Well, I have very curly hair that my mother really didn't know what to do with, so, no, she most definitely wasn't right about my hair!

AspenSong
February 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I can't vouch for my mother since I grew up with my Dad - But he used to basically tell me the same thing about my long hair when it wasn't dyed. And of course I didn't listen. =P
He was right about everything he told me though, as far as I can see. Just general care, and how I looked best with the color hair the good Lord gave me.

Stupid me to never listen. =/
I think if he could see my hair now though, he'd be happy about it. :)

roxylake
February 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM
My mom pretty much loved everything about my hair from color to texture. But, I was always wanting to straighten/color, etc. But, I have to say my mom is right....and I should have left it alone. :)

Rocket22
February 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I've never had nice hair and mom always butchered my hair.. (reason I'm hair obsessed now) but once I was old enough to make my own decisions they were not any better. (Perms, colors, bad stylist etc..) really think what is going to help me is just getting away from hair dressers and bleach!

constantki
February 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM
my mom liked my hair short with bangs. I look much better with long hair imo

Violeta
February 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
my mom was not right... she always wanted my hair cut short lol :(

Anywhere
February 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
My mom insists on me straightening and bleaching my hair because it looks best on me. Unfortunately, unlike your mother, mine is wrong.

Messyhair
February 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Mom (and all of the hairstylists in the family) always insisted that my hair was just too straight or too thick or too something to leave alone and I NEEDED to have spiral perm after spiral perm. Yeah, I stopped that as soon as anyone would listen to my opinion.

Vani1902
February 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
My mom is right when it comes to hair, for the most part. She always encourages me to wear it out with my curls and she hates heat styling. She has a really good approach to caring for her hair. The only thing about her is that she loves to dye it blonde. She looks like Barbie lol. Other than that, she's right.

rags
February 7th, 2011, 03:19 PM
My mother has the same baby fine, thin hair that I do. She started perming mine when I was quite young. She used to insist that I should always have "at least a body wave" at all times. So no, she wasn't right.

BrightEyes7
February 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
My mom was right. She always told me to stop heat styling so much and that I shouldn't be dying my hair and that I should keep it long...

If I woulda only just listened to her I wouldn't be trying to grow out all this old dye!

lapushka
February 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM
My mom warned me about hair dye. Did I listen? No. She warned me about washing my hair too often. Did I listen? No. She warned me about treating my hair too roughly. Did I listen? No. But, I doubt many teens really listen to their moms... if that's an excuse.

A lot of us start experimenting with our hair one way or the other at some point in our lives. :shrug:

Stephichan
February 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM
My mom used to say that if the worst thing her kids did was mess with their hair, then she was a lucky parent. My dad would always threaten to shave our heads if we dyed our hair any color. A few years ago I started using henna and while he says that he prefers my medium-ashy blonde hair, it doesn't look terrible (and no, he didn't shave my hair off). He has his moments.

LovelyL
February 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
was any one else thinking this on seeing this thread title? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD_i4hRYd8U

Back on topic, my mum is annoyingly pretty much always right! I have mostly followed her advice and not dyed my hair (except for two purple streaks... she convinced me to not do the whole head :p)

vanity_acefake
February 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
SummerSkye you know my mum and what she likes!
My mum prefers me with shorter hair.
Although last week she did sat that my hair colour (henna) was lovely
Result!
:)

Kathie
February 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I’m not sure if she was right or wrong... when I was around 3 she cut off my long blond hair (I’ve seen pics it was mid back and fell in ringlets). She did a classic bowl cut :(

Anyways her reasoning was that it would grow back thicker. I do have a lot of hair now, but I’m pretty sure I probably would of anyways without the boy transformation.

Maddy_T
February 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
At the age of forty I have to admit my Mother was right! Well when it came to hair anyway! I had tb length dark blonde hair with sunstreaks until my mid teens, I wasn't allowed to cut it the main reason being that my hair was lovely as it was and I wouldn't suit short hair! Well I did, cut it off very short and died it dark. Since then Ive had perms , henna, dark hair but mostly highlighted blonde, short, long and everything in between. My Mum always said that my hair never was the same after I cut it and started messing about with dye! And I have finally realised that she was RIGHT! I was just telling my husband that I was going to stop highlighting my hair and go back to natural, grow it long and leave it alone apart from a couple of lighter streaks round my face which the sun used to do naturally! I then had a bit of an "oh" moment when I realised that I was planning on doing what my hair would do if I just left it alone in the first place!!! So my Mother was right!! Was your Mum right about your hair?
P.s. My Mum still has long hair, down to her waist, hasn't been inside a hairdressers since she was 14, wears it up all the time, doesn't do anything to it and she still looks great, she's in her late 60s now!
This is my EXACT story!. I really messed my hair up! :( What I wouldn't give for my 12 year old, sunlightened, thick, waist length hair!.

Mesmerise
February 7th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I think parents should kind of just let their kids decide ;) If you push your kids to do one thing, they'll often just do the opposite anyway! Kids should learn from their own mistakes I guess.

That's not to say I don't give my opinion ;)

For a long time I wouldn't let my daughter cut her hair short (although I let her go shorter than I liked). She has beautiful thick hair, and I'm so envious of it!!! However, doing her hair was always a huge chore for both her and me, and she wasn't even able to brush the knots out of her hair at the age of 8 because it's just so thick and fine and tangles so easily.

Finally I let her get a chin length bob with an undercut so it doesn't get too boofy! Now she's able to do her hair all by her self and I don't need to make her scream and cry while doing her hair ;) I hope in time she'll grow it long again, as she gets old enough to cope with the thickness! Although, I have to say the bob actually looks super cute on her and I never would have had the chance to see how it looked if I'd always insisted she have her hair the way I like.

Oh, and I know a woman whose mum always made her have long hair as a child (so she could sit on it) and when she was old enough she chopped it off short and as far as I know, has had it short ever since!! I don't want to put my daughter off having long hair in the future by insisting she has long hair now. My mum never had long hair so didn't care whether I had mine short or long or in between!

I am sure she will get to the stage of dyeing her hair (she likes it when I henna my hair, cause I'll save her a blob and put a streak into it near the front!). When she decides to dye her hair black and get a pixie I'll try to put a sock in it LOL! I did awful things to my hair as a kid and my mum pretty much let me go ;)

Lianna
February 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
My mom always kept my hair long as a child, but when I turned 12 I couldn't deal with how hot it was and cut it, nothing agaisnt long hair, just the heat. I felt awful in updos/ponytails, in my defense. I think she was right about the length, she doesn't care about the color though, hairdyes don't melt everyone's hair.

jasper
February 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Well, it was my mom who took me to get a perm at age 5, so I don't know about her haircare expertise. She has the same permed hairstyle herself that she started wearing in the 1960's, and I like her hair on her, but I had to learn to stop perming my hair on my own.

runaway177
February 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I actually keep finding things that my mom wasn't right about. She insists on taking me to a hair dresser to chop it off... and that's my cue to run far away :run:

McFearless
February 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Yep. Moms are always right.

Mine told me to leave my curly, thick beautiful hair alone. She said it would never ever be the same if I messed with it. She was right. Somehow it never grew back the same. :(

TwilightBloom
February 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Hmm, my mom was and is still wrong about hair. She thinks everyone looks better with short hair. She has that little old lady hair, you know where you have to color it, perm it and then style it with a curling iron, and spray it till it is hard as a rock.. I had long hair as a child, and i actually cut it myself, i don't really remember why, or that i even cut it.. Then that started the path to perms, i don't know why cause i have natural curls? I think i got them because my Mom had them, then color in highschool, and then again after i started turning gray. Now i am using a little henna, but I will never ever go back to killing my hair again. I have learned so much, here at TLHC, my hair is getting to healthy, I am so proud of me, and so thankful I found this site.:cheese:

coppercurls
February 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Well, I have very curly hair that my mother really didn't know what to do with, so, no, she most definitely wasn't right about my hair!

Story of my life!:rolleyes:

aldasbeke
February 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure my mom hates everything about my hair from color to texture. It never had body, was limp, looked too brassy, etc... That was not right...

I don't let her say anything mean about it anymore though. I just got sick of hearing about it :/

xoxophelia
February 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
My mother was not right about my hair. She insists I should use this curly hair product that makes my hair look horrrriiiibblllleeeeee........ as in.. worst ever.

However, her mom was right about her hair (and so was I heh :o). My grandma insisted for about 50 years that my mom should wear her curls naturally instead of somewhat straightening them resulting in dull, lifeless, and frizzy looking hair. She finally gave in after reading a little through LHC and now likes her hair for once. It is nice finally seeing actual spirals.

Speedbump
February 7th, 2011, 09:46 PM
My mother was a mixed bag. She had stick straight hair and so used a brush on my curls out of pure ignorance, so that was wrong. Definitely. :lol: Buuuut...I wanted long hair and she let me have it, even though she thought it was too long. I would only let her trim it about once or twice a year. I was very stubborn about it.

She was also right about another thing: My hair got horribly, and I mean horribly, damaged by swimming pool chlorine. It was white and looked like old sticks. :blueeek: She wisely insisted that we cut off the damage, and we both cried during the cut because I went from near-classic length to shoulder length in one go.

My Nana (grandmother) was completely right when she told me NEVER to color my hair because "women would kill to have my hair color." That was when I was 14 years old, and boy am I glad I asked Nana's advice and then listened! I love my hair color and I never would have properly kept up a dye job. Now, almost 24 years later, I'm letting my silvers grow in, just like Nana and my mom did. :inlove:

leslissocool
February 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM
My mom told me last week that I looked better with my hair bleached :(.

I had horrible cuts with the family I grew up with (grandmother had short hair most of her life, and hated my oily coarse hair). I just don't think they knew anything about hair at all... I didn't use conditioner until I moved to the US and used really harsh shampoos.

Now I put oil in my hair, and it looks so much better! If only she knew:misskim:!

Masara
February 8th, 2011, 12:13 AM
My mum thinks I look better with either short (very short) hair or with long hair in an updo. She's probably right.

Other than that, she hasn't really expressed much of an opinion and she's never tried pushing me into doing something I don't want to do.

But then, she washes her hair once a week and swears by coconut oil. She did try to get me to wash my hair less frequently, but then she saw it didn't work for me.

Dragon
February 8th, 2011, 01:21 AM
My Mum was wrong. Curls need length to help way it down so it doesn’t stick out in all weird directions and she would keep it above my shoulder blades.

SeaPhoenix
February 8th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Not sure, really. Childhood - teen years, my mom would push me to short hair. Now? Now she tells me to keep it long because she always like it long (which always leaves me confused because she was the one that talked me into a pixie cut as a child, and always made remarks when I was a teen to the extent of "aren't you getting a little too old for long hair now?") :-) I guess she's as confused about my hair as I am? :-)

Henrietta
February 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM
My mum does not generally comment on my hair but she shot me with simple logic lately- why are you planning to go back to cones if you don't need them?

Anyway, SummerSkye, I think we need all contrastive and crazy stages to finally figure out what we want. Now you'll appreciate your natural hair way more than you would if you had it from the beginning.

Anje
February 8th, 2011, 09:11 AM
My mom taught me to make hardboiled eggs by boiling them for 20 minutes. She was right -- they are hard after that much time!

About hair, though, my mom's not much of an authority. She always permed hers when I was younger and never grew it beyond shoulders. She claims it doesn't get longer, but I think care may have had a lot to do with it.

varintalonguard
February 17th, 2011, 01:55 AM
My mom...is learning how to care for her hair from me, from what I learn from here. And she always let us do what we wanted because when it came to hair she didn't have any more of a clue than us kids.

AZDesertRose
February 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM
My mom tried to talk me out of cutting mine short when I was in 12th grade. She was right. I look horrible with short hair, and the only time it looked even halfway decent at that length was when the hairdresser styled it. I never could style it myself.

As to my hair now, no more hair cuts. Just self-trims until I get rid of the layers, and then after that just S&D and the occasional self-trim to keep the split ends away.

Carolyn
February 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM
My mom was right about a lot of things but she knew very little about hair care or styling. She was one of those women who got a perm every 2-3 months and had her hair done every week. She kept mine short and permed it twice a year when I was a kid. She would wash my hair on Saturday and pin curl it and it was supposed to last a week. In 8th grade I pitched a fit and she finally gave me control. I learned about styling, products and hair care from friends. I can give my mom a lot of credit for teaching me other things but not hair care.

ladylovecraft
February 17th, 2011, 09:46 PM
My mother has always supported my hair experiments... she even loved it when it was bright, glowy pink! : P

She only ever gives me fuss when I'm planning on changing my hair color (like now, ditching bleach for red via henna), mostly because she's seen me hop back and forth from color to color... I don't do that anymore (I've been blonde for a year and a half now), but I think any sort of color change worries her. She thinks I'll start up on my musical dyes again. Trust me, I've learned my lesson!

AZDesertRose
February 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM
My mother never fussed at me too much about my hair. I was pretty much allowed to do as I pleased with it, but she did try (wisely) to talk me out of the pixie cut, because I think she knew it wouldn't be flattering on me. Oh well. Live and learn.

Quahatundightu
February 18th, 2011, 03:17 AM
My mum was always great with my hair and had good advice :) We do have similar hair though so that helps! She has always been supportive of all my wild ideas too :D

charalito
February 18th, 2011, 09:32 AM
My mother wasn't big on haircare, she taught me how to english and french braid and that was pretty much it.

My father, on the other hand, was really protective of my long straight hair. He would choose my shampoo and conditioner, spending what seemed like hours reading the ingredients. Hair gel, spray, mousse and the likes were banned for me, and I still remember getting grounded when my dad found my hidden hair spray.

And yeah, I grew up and experimented with lenghts, products and dyes, but I've gone back to the no products in the house rule. Guess in this case it was my father who was right :)