PDA

View Full Version : I am a lone candle!

SearMeCarefully
June 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Bit dramatic? Mebe. I wish I had a buddy that was into hair stuff that was nearby. And someone that would do the Arwen braid for me! I did it on my mom once (simplified lol) I think it'd be so cool! I wouldnt wash for a week! lol
Anyone want to come play? baaah! All alone in my long hairdom

Here is the link to the picture/instructions of Arwen braid Linkage (http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/Arwen.htm)

And here is a picture of when I practiced it on my mom who has kinda short hair for it.. about bsl, so there wasn't a lot to weave after braiding them all (oh that length sucker!)
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/SearMeCarefully/hairyvette9braids001.jpg

DecafJane
June 10th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Wow. That is the most intricate hair work I have seen in a while! I can't do ANYTHING like that with my hair, but I can admire and cheer from a distance!!

I wish that I had people who were into hair around me as well - I'm quite lucky that my DH is tolerant of my hairtoy habit, or he could have me locked away. ;)
ETA: I wish I knew people IRL who would get as excited as I do if I told them that I found a Graydog BIN, or learned a French twist, or a sock bun, or anything else exciting. :(

EvaSimone
June 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I feel you... everyone I know gently teases me about my hair and some of them even tell me it looked so much "cuter" when it was in a bob. lol

eta. oh my gosh that braid is breathtaking!

Riot Crrl
June 10th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Well if I was in Utah I'd be right over. Wow what a braid!

Gumball
June 10th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Too bad those who enjoy that kind of fun don't always live in a small community near each other! If only, huh? All us monkeys need to live in the same jungle! We'd preen to our heart's content.

Riot Crrl
June 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
A utopian long hair island. Picture it. Children's hair would be detangled properly without making them cry. We would all have trims if we wanted them without making each other cry. There would be no shortage of henna-helpers. No Locks of Love suggestions.

All we would need is a lucrative enough export that we could trade for conditioner and Ficcares.

Saranne772
June 10th, 2008, 02:43 AM
A utopian long hair island. Picture it. Children's hair would be detangled properly without making them cry. We would all have trims if we wanted them without making each other cry. There would be no shortage of henna-helpers. No Locks of Love suggestions.

All we would need is a lucrative enough export that we could trade for conditioner and Ficcares. :lol:

And its so true. I mean I have a lot of people in my life who are long hair or BSL long hair and they dont care either way. I have one friend who has tb length hair but her parents are missionaries and she moved back to work near them in Botswana recently and you cant play with hair over email!!

toodramatik
June 10th, 2008, 03:16 AM
:O. all i can say is :O. beautiful braid!

I'm lone too :( i'm angering everyone i love because i constantly smell of amla :D I hope you find a hair buddy soon

FrannyG
June 10th, 2008, 04:31 AM
You did an incredible job on your mother's braid. :flowers: It's magnificent! I really know what you mean about being a lone candle. I'm in the same position, and I just love playing with someone else's hair. It also would be really nice for someone to do a cool braid on me.

You need to try an Arwen on yourself. I did one on myself once, but my hair is so pathetically fine and thin that it didn't look anything like what it was supposed to. Please dedicate some time to practicing it on yourself. It would be a crime not to, with your mad skills! :)

Indigo Girl
June 10th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I did one on myself once, but my hair is so pathetically fine and thin that it didn't look anything like what it was supposed to.

I feel your pain, Franny - with my hair I can't do those beautiful styles either. :no:

SearMeCarefully, that braid is just georgeous! :thud:

Another lone hair friend here - It would be nice to have someone else to talk to and practice styles on in person. An island would be nice - at least we'd have all the coconut oil our ends desired!

dulce-de-leche
June 10th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Beautiful is all I can say

Curlsgirl
June 10th, 2008, 06:01 AM
:thud: That do is incredible!!!

I don't have anyone either. My DH is wonderful about some of it but he just humors me I think because he loves my long hair. He can only take so much. :p

I try to talk to my best friend who had long hair but cut it. She's no help. My Mom just keeps saying how long my hair is. My co-workers think I'm looney.

Yes a nice Utopian LHC. :crush:
BTW Searmecarefully, good to see you! I have always admired your beautiful locks!!! I agree that you should practice and do that style on yourself. You can do it!!

MemSahib
June 10th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I feel you... everyone I know gently teases me about my hair and some of them even tell me it looked so much "cuter" when it was in a bob. lolThis is the exact thing I've gotten from my friends, too. Discouraging, isn't it?

In the meantime, What an amazing braid, SearMeCarefully!

Pegasus Marsters
June 10th, 2008, 06:12 AM
You need to try an Arwen on yourself. I did one on myself once, but my hair is so pathetically fine and thin that it didn't look anything like what it was supposed to. Please dedicate some time to practicing it on yourself. It would be a crime not to, with your mad skills! :)

I was going to suggest this... back in the day I did one on myself and it took time but looked awesome ^.^

jojo
June 10th, 2008, 06:14 AM
That is not a hair do, its a work of art. Wish my hair could do that!

betsala
June 10th, 2008, 06:27 AM
oh how beautiful! i was looking forward to spending time with my sister in law (and her hair) this summer. imagibe my surprise when she arrived with a pixie cut (cut from waist). i'm still excited to see her, but selfishly a little sad about the hair. she looks adorable at her new length though.

Xandergrammy
June 10th, 2008, 06:30 AM
That braid is amazing, SMC! And if I lived closeby, I'd be at your house in a heartbeat to learn how to do that braid. I think that braid deserves this smilie :thudpile:

Sana
June 10th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Wow!!! If I was nearby I would be rushing to your home to get my braid done like that!!

centurytoolate
June 10th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Lone candle here too. Not only that but I'm a hair idiot. When the revolution comes and we have a long hair island I am so there!

And I'm not even going to say anything about that braid cause I'm green with envy. ; )

cindy58
June 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
What a beautiful braid!

Delenn
June 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I feel your pain, Franny - with my hair I can't do those beautiful styles either. :no:

SearMeCarefully, that braid is just georgeous! :thud:

Another lone hair friend here - It would be nice to have someone else to talk to and practice styles on in person. An island would be nice - at least we'd have all the coconut oil our ends desired!

I'm right above northern VA. :eyebrows:

Eireann
June 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
That's stunning! My hair is no where near long enough for that, but WOW!

burns_erin
June 10th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Stunning Braid.

I am not alone out here, I am in fact the short hair in my family. My dad is @ mid back, 1 sister is @ hips, 1 sister is @ BSL (from waist-she is a prison gaurd and in prison that is not hair, it is a handle for pain). However, we are all hair idiots. My sister with the hair at her hips is unfortunately one of those long hairs you kinda wish wasn't.

So remember, sometimes being a lone candle can be a good thing. At least you do not have people telling you "you shouldn't grow your hair long, just look at so&so"

heidihug
June 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I am hair lonely, too. No one I know has the slightest interest in playing with my hair. Well, unless I pay them to do it at a salon! My niece has hair just past her shoulders, and I braid it for her when I see her, but she can't do braids or updos other than ponytails.

I love the Arwin braid. I think I could pull off a smaller version if I braided loosely with very slightly damp hair. Oh, to have the time on weekends to do this. And somewhere to wear it to show it off!

stargrape
June 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
That is beautiful! I wouldn't even know how to begin to do that braid! I am all alone in the hair thing too so I'm glad I've found this board and hope to make some friends here. :D

Anyone here from IL or IN?

JKRBeloved
June 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM
That is not a hair do, its a work of art. Wish my hair could do that!

Exactly! Oh, I know what you mean about being alone. Now, when people ask me if I'm growing it out again (I cut it in order to ease the growing into my silvers phase), I tend to not give a straight answer because I really don't want a discussion about it.

harley mama
June 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Too bad those who enjoy that kind of fun don't always live in a small community near each other! If only, huh? All us monkeys need to live in the same jungle! We'd preen to our heart's content.

Gumball, thanks for the laugh about the monkeys. I have this vivid image of all of us sitting around picking at each others hair! :lol: :ohmy: :rollin:

Mely
June 10th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I wish that I had people who were into hair around me as well - I'm quite lucky that my DH is tolerant of my hairtoy habit, or he could have me locked away. ;)

I hear you! I spent several hours yesterday inventorying and photographing all my hair toys (post on "Show me your hair toys" thread). Every time my DH walked past and saw what I was doing he gave me a very strange look. I suppose he thinks I'm crazy, but he humours me. At least hair toys don't take up a lot of room!

susiemw
June 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

That hair is an absolute work of art.
I too wish I had someone's hair to play with.
I bought two toy hairstyling heads at garage
sales this weekend (25 cents, 50 cents) so I could
practice on something.

I have neices with long hair and they were over this weekend but wouldn't cooperate! :(

Next time I come out to use the genealogy library in SLC,
I'll let you know and we can "do hair" at night after the library has closed!

Susan

once again: WOW WOW WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!:cheese:

I'm going to have to look for instructions on how to do that braiding, it's magnificent. good job!

susiemw
June 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM
IAt least hair toys don't take up a lot of room!

That means you don't have enough! Go shopping! LOL

susiemw
June 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
That is beautiful! I wouldn't even know how to begin to do that braid! I am all alone in the hair thing too so I'm glad I've found this board and hope to make some friends here. :D

Anyone here from IL or IN?

I'm from northern Indiana (near south bend) but am
rarely home. I spent the last 9 months working in
So. Dakota and am so happy to be home again!!

Maybe we should all set up "hair get togethers" for
our little parts of the world.

Susan

susiemw
June 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM
What is the length of the hair that is in the braid in the original post?

Gumball
June 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I was just thinking, SMC, that hopefully you got the permission of the owner of the photo you posted here. Just making sure since she says that as a condition on the bottom of the index page of her site (http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/). :) We don't want to be violating any rules! :flower: It is a beautiful braid. *goes back to searching for monkeys*

Islandgrrl
June 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I'll volunteer my island - you can all come here and we can have hair parties!!!

ladystar
June 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM
That is just beautiful.

hurricane_gia
June 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I feel pretty lucky with my friends. It's true that no one in my immediate circle of friends is a long hair fanatic, but at least they understand the concept! All of my friends are either belly dancers, Rennies, SCAers or Hippies (or all four at once) -- all long hair friendly groups! :cheese: I am working on educating them all about SMTs, CO, and Henna/Cassia, but in the meantime I feel lucky that none of my friends has ever suggested I cut my hair.

I do have one friend with Finger-tip length hair who just shampoos and damp braids every day and that is all . . . and it's fantastic hair. She just has the right genes to never needs leave-in conditioner. Next time I see her, I am taking hair toys to her house and I am sure she will let me play with her hair. I'll have to add the Arwen braid to the list of styles I want to try on her.

My next goal, after convincing all of my friends to either Henna or Cassia their hair, is to make friends with other LHC members who live in Austin -- because they are out there, I just haven't met them yet. Then, we can have a Hair-themed Slumber-Party!

Sorus
June 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm in a similar boat. My Mom's long hair is super fun to play with, but she doesn't know how to french braid so she gets all the fun hairstyling.

For that amazing braid and more, Dreamweaver Braiding is an awesome site. It was my first inspiration to truly grow my hair out, because I wanted to wear braids like those. Dreamweaver Braiding (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples/braid_examples_vari.htm)

snowbear
June 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Maybe we should all set up "hair get togethers" for our little parts of the world.
The meet boards are set up for precisely that purpose! :)

kwaniesiam
June 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'm awfully far away, but would love to attempt that braid for you :flowers: I'm pretty good with braiding on others, all I can manage is a french or english on myself :rolleyes:

RavennaNight
June 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I stand in awe. :rockerdud:

I know the feeling. Ive got no people here to share hair ideas, tricks, etc, with either.

SweetPea88
June 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Gorgeous braid!

It seems we're all together in our hair-lonesomeness! I love to braid but I never get the chance to braid anyone else's hair and mine is the longest out of everyone I know (not such a bad thing I guess!). So, I pretty much do all my hair rambling here or to my poor BF! :)

Mary <><
June 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Guess one of these little smilies is me, and the rest are all of the others who have seen your beautiful braid! LOVELY!
:thudpile:

Indigo Girl
June 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I'm right above northern VA. :eyebrows:

Hah! Neat :D You should check out the meets then!

Dianyla
June 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Heh. This whole "lone candle" business wouldn't have anything to do with how you chose your username, would it? :lol:

Pssst: Portland's only a 10 hr drive! :D

SearMeCarefully
June 10th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not alone in my.. loneliness..? lol. That picture I had (thank you for notifying me, sometimes I don't even think of those things!) was from the website not the one I did of my ma's hair. I took down the original picture. I left a link to it instead and just put my ma's picture up instead.. (on my original post if anyone is interested to see it.) I wonder if my hair would be too wussy to pull it off as well as hers.. does anyone know how long her hair is? (dream weaver) So gorgeous.. maybe I will try it, iit can't be as bad as french braiding my loose hair (which likes to stick together and tangle before I get 1/4 the way through!! frizze frazzle..)

SearMeCarefully
June 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
It would be so fun to go to a meet! But there always seems to be that whole money, time, distance problem.. baaah

Gumball
June 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM
The picture of the braid you did on your mom looks fantastic! Wonderfully done! I keep having to go back and look at it since you did such a great job.

susiemw
June 11th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I like the braiding you did on your mom. It looks great.
i think I'll have to try this type of braiding on me and see how
it turns out.

susan

paradoxx
June 11th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I know how you feel! I actually have one really long haired friend (she recently cut it back to TB from Classic to even up the hemline), but she's really not that INTO hair if you know what I mean. :rolleyes: Her hair is very pretty, but I can't help but think how much prettier it would be if she took better care of it. Until I bought her some of Momma Smurf's metal hair toys for her birthday last year, she only did scruncie buns. *Sigh* This year, for her birthday, her aunt made her her first ever wooden hairtoy. It is a gorgeous pink ivory Little Egypt fork and I am just hoping that she catches the addiction so that she can join me in my madness. :twisted:

K_Angel
March 13th, 2009, 03:21 AM
That braid is waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy Past too cool! I wish I could do that!!!

I'm the only one in my family or friends that have long hair (if waist can be considered long?) But recently my sister in law has been kind of talking about growing out her hair. I think I have gotten her hooked on all the things that I tell her to do with her short hair that have made her hair look and feel so much better....

Anyway, if she does decide to grow out her hair long... then I'd have a hair buddy!

Although, perhaps instead of a revolution that causes us to go to an island. Maybe we could just all meet on a cruise??????? YOu know, make all the companies who sell good products and accessories to come and demonstrate them, so we could all day try new things and do each others hair! Sort of a floating Pajama Party! :rollin:

Chrissy
March 13th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I'm from northern Indiana (near south bend) but am
rarely home. I spent the last 9 months working in
So. Dakota and am so happy to be home again!!

Maybe we should all set up "hair get togethers" for
our little parts of the world.

Susan

That is called a long hair meet!!! :)

Beautiful braid. I too have no one. My family tolerates it. They don't make fun but my youngest son was mad/sad when I cut it. I keep telling him I'm growing it back. He used to brush my hair a lot. Now he won't. He says it's not long enough. Wahh!!! He will do a half hearted brush ocassionally. He said he would do it more the longer it gets.

Chrissy
March 13th, 2009, 05:02 AM
That braid is waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy Past too cool! I wish I could do that!!!

I'm the only one in my family or friends that have long hair (if waist can be considered long?) But recently my sister in law has been kind of talking about growing out her hair. I think I have gotten her hooked on all the things that I tell her to do with her short hair that have made her hair look and feel so much better....

Anyway, if she does decide to grow out her hair long... then I'd have a hair buddy!

Although, perhaps instead of a revolution that causes us to go to an island. Maybe we could just all meet on a cruise??????? YOu know, make all the companies who sell good products and accessories to come and demonstrate them, so we could all day try new things and do each others hair! Sort of a floating Pajama Party! :rollin:

There would have to be a George Michael salon on board. :)

Carolyn
March 13th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Great thread topic! How did I miss this when it was active the first time? Cool that it's been brought back from the "dead" :D I don't have anyone to "talk hair" with. The hair meets I've been to have been awesome because there is no fear or embarrassment about discussing hair. Other than that I keep silent about my hair addiction. There is no one around here to talk hair with. I'd love to find someone who could french braid for me.

Kiraela
March 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I've got longhaired acquaintances, but none that really pay much attention to hair in general. Although one wears the cutest scarf buns on a regular basis, so she may be a closet LHC-er...

ratgirldjh
March 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
very cool braiding. where do you live? if you live in austin, tx - please, please come and help me braid my hair!!!

i have the same problem. my best friend - who has waist length wavey red hair btw
is NOT interested in talking about hair - or experimenting - or hearing about my hair experiments.

she still washes her hair with coney shampoos - and even put silicone serums directly on her hair til just recently when she finally realized that i was right they were drying out her hair too much.

she just doesn't 'get' the idea of oiling your hair and then leaving it on overnight and washing it out. she thinks it is crazy. she would much rather wash all the natural oils out of her hair and replace them with conditioner!

SIGH - and her hair used to be sooo beautiful - time and products are taking their toll

SearMeCarefully
March 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Lol, yeah I'm still all alone over here. There never seems to be any big meets nearby that I see =( and even then a lot of people don't like their hair being touched by others

Here is a picture of my first arwen braid on myself (in my album) it was tough! me arms! I've done it twice now on myself but I'm positive the braiding isn't done right.. lol I kind of just threw it all together and lost my place a few times
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=24993

skay
March 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM
That's braid looks so cool on you -- and your mother as well!!

You both having stunning red hair as well!

That's one braid I'd like to do one day.

Hope you find another candle or two in your area. :)

Omens
March 14th, 2009, 01:59 AM
*Is in total awe*

You have skills. Wow. I'm surprised your arms didn't fall off! Geez! Just looking at it makes my arms hurt. I can't even french braid someone else's hair, let alone my own...I can only do a sad little braid at the nape of my neck. Doing something like that is beyond my comprehension.

spf4214
March 14th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Wow, fantatic braid. I can only do the standard braid at the back of my head too :(. I'm a lone candle too, no one I know is as hair-obsessed as me.

PurpleRays
March 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I must say your braid is absolutely beautiful. Such intricate work...

WavyGirl
March 15th, 2009, 01:43 AM
SMC that braid is amazing. You must have muscles of steel.

I hear ya on the lone candle bit. I know there are other members in Spain, but I don't think any of them are close to me. DD likes to play with my hair, but she lacks skills and it can get painful. :silly: No-one else I know is even slightly interested in updos. It would be nice to have one long haired friend here so I could have someone do some of the updos on me I can't manage and, of course, I'd return the favour.

Ryanne
March 15th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Those braids are really awesome!
I'm the only one around here who cares about hair, though my mother is starting to grow her hair out, so soon I'll have someone to practise hairstyles on.

~GypsyCurls~
March 16th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I know what you mean, I don't have any IRL friends who share in my obsession. I wish I had one, or a sister maybe that I could talk about it with or do each other's hair!