PDA

View Full Version : The Snail Bun. I finally made a how to video.

EvaSimone
February 7th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I wear this bun almost every day. It's super easy and very comfortable, it works best on hair that's 28" and longer. My hair is 32" currently and it still works well, it just looks larger. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwSVNzljrA

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/rszpara/bakery048.jpg

ETA: For people with longer lengths a poster with 42" hair posted how it works for her so I hope this will help others.
BTW, as my hair is longer, I wrapped the length over 4 fingers, and still had ends hanging down that I tucked behind the bun and caught with the Ficcare. -Jel

Lunnafindel
February 7th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Wow, that looks really cool. do you have any advice for doing it with longer hair? (where would it go?) I'm looking forward to trying this.

LoveMyLongHair
February 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I wear this bun almost every day. It's super easy and very comfortable, it works best on hair that's 28" and longer. My hair is 32" currently and it still works well, it just looks larger. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwSVNzljrA

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/rszpara/bakery048.jpg

I just subscribed to you......beautiful work on both buns! :cheese: Two more lovely looks for me to wear!!

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu

EvaSimone
February 7th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Wow, that looks really cool. do you have any advice for doing it with longer hair? (where would it go?) I'm looking forward to trying this.

I would think that maybe looping the rest of the hair around the base? Also making the loop with four or five fingers instead of my measly three might eat up some length. Your hair might be too long for this style but I hope not. I hope you can find some way to make it work! :flower:

Amoretti
February 7th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Oh, that's beautiful! :thud: I just subscribed to you. :) Thanks for sharing.

summerjade
February 7th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Beautiful!! I will be glad when My hair gets long enough to try it.

Fairlight63
February 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks for making a video of the hairstyle. I have to try it. That one looks really easy too!

anilov
February 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Thank you! Would you say that the bun holds even with just a hairstick, or would I need to use a fork to hold it more secure?

Fufu
February 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Very pretty bun, thanks for sharing

EvaSimone
February 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Thank you! Would you say that the bun holds even with just a hairstick, or would I need to use a fork to hold it more secure?

I've never tried it with a hairstick. :o My hair is wet right now or I'd give it a try and tell you what I thought.

I would think that it would hold just fine with two hair sticks but one might be iffy.

I will try holding with a hairstick later and I'll post on my experience.

Eolan
February 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM
What a beautiful bun! Thank you for charing this. I hope I'll be able to do it soon.

growing2shine
February 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Great video and beautiful bun! It looks so feminine! Also, very shiny hair!
Thanks for sharing. :D

jel
February 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Lovely bun, thanks for sharing! I often do a similar knot, but I never thought of stretching the wrapped hair...

BTW, as my hair is longer, I wrapped the length over 4 fingers, and still had ends hanging down that I tucked behind the bun and caught with the Ficcare. (ETA: I tried this particular bun and the preceding is my feedback)

Phalaenopsis
February 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Such a shiney bun!

lunalovegood
February 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM
That looks really nice. You have such shiny hair! I've tried your other bun, which is also very pretty, but I don't have enough length yet. Hopefully soon!

Anywhere
February 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I subscribed as well. Our hair is about the same length, so I'm hoping it looks this good on me as well. :D

vanity_acefake
February 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
That looks beautiful. Thank you for showing us.

curlsgalore
February 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I love it! I did my hair like this today. Yay! I didn't use a ficcare though, I used my Goody hair pin. It's holding up great. I will try it with a fork and Ficcare to see which I like best. Thanks for sharing.

skyblue
February 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
awesome! Thank you for the vid!
You did a really good job with it!
I can't wait to try the buns!

EvaSimone
February 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Okay I used a hairstick tonight on still slightly damp hair. It works okay with just one hair stick but it is a tiny big saggy with only one. I just brought a stick through the top and weaved it a bit through the hair and out the bottom. It's holding well and looks pretty nice.

Lovely bun, thanks for sharing! I often do a similar knot, but I never thought of stretching the wrapped hair...

BTW, as my hair is longer, I wrapped the length over 4 fingers, and still had ends hanging down that I tucked behind the bun and caught with the Ficcare. (ETA: I tried this particular bun and the preceding is my feedback)

Thanks for the feedback! I am honestly not surprised that other people have done this bun. I just knew I'd never seen a tutorial or anything that showed me how to do this so I just named it and made a tutorial. :o:)

Thanks for the idea about how to do this with longer lengths, I think I will add an eta on my original post so people don't miss this. :flower:

Lil Red Vampire
February 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Beautiful! I wish my hair was long enough to do that....

jasper
February 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM
How did you put the fork through? I can understand how the clip holds, but can you give me a play by play of the fork?

Vani1902
February 7th, 2011, 07:16 PM
It's so beautiful. I can't wait til my hair grows out to a length where i can do that bun. :)

wendy51
February 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I love your bun! (L)
I'll subscribe! ^^

ddiana1979
February 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Very elegant! I'll try that when I get a little closer to 28".

EvaSimone
February 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM
How did you put the fork through? I can understand how the clip holds, but can you give me a play by play of the fork?

I'll do my best to describe it and when I have some free time I will do an illustration or another video to show how to insert the fork.

For now the description. At the very top of the bun push the fork through some of the very top loop and then push it so it catches some of the hair near the scalp. Then push it so it catches the loop at the bottom. This is the best way that I can describe it so I hope that helps.

jasper
February 8th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Thank you! I will give it a shot in a few minutes- need to get through the coffee drinking phase of the morning. Thanks for such a neat looking style.

Yosha
February 8th, 2011, 05:28 AM
This is a very pretty bun, thank you for your tutorial, I put it in my hairlist. At first I thought the technique was similar to that of an Indian bun, but it looks quite different. I had no problem doing it on 45" hair (my hair is quite tapered). This is my first try, and looks sloppy compared to yours but I'll get there and I'll be definately wearing this more often:D
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5428038992_7b65fc5577.jpg

SheaLynne
February 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Ooh, I like this! Very elegant looking, and so easy! I'm wearing it today with one stick holding it (put it in the same as you described for the fork). My hair is about 38.5 inches long.

Thanks for the tutorial!!

Masara
February 8th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for this, it looks really good (much better on your hair than on mine!) and it's quick for mornings.
I really like your stay put bun too.

Yozhik
February 8th, 2011, 07:36 AM
What a beautiful bun!

I love it and am now wearing it, although I think I might have to wait a bit to get the proper twist of the snail shell to show up (need more length!).

meowmeow
February 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for this! I tried it today and it held great and didn't pull anywhere. Had some loose hairs at the end of the day, but that's because of the collar on my shirt. :)

SheaLynne
February 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Here's my not-perfect version. Depending on how I wrap the tail I can get a little spray of ends sticking out, or get them to tuck under. Here they are kind of in-between.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4802&pictureid=95860

I really love this bun, and can't wait to try my first fork in it, which should arrive in the next 2-5 days!!

SummerSkye
February 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Looks great, beautiful!

NouvelleNymphe2
February 16th, 2011, 02:21 AM
great video! when i have hair long enough i want to see your videos they're very clear! i find it amazing how perfectly your hands move around. it's like your eyeball are in your fingertips! :p

Amelia
February 16th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I can't see the video- Youtube barred it for my country :(

curlsgalore
February 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I love this Bun!! It' so versatile! I can get just a slightly different look with different hair toys. :)

podo
February 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I'm going to have to try this ASAP! :D

Be careful about holding with 1 stick depending on length... For JJJ's Pretzel Knot or the Crochet Bun - both of which are very similar to start with - the loop will eventually pull out if there's only 1 stick. Longer hair, where you're wrapping the length somehow, might not have this problem, but for the ones that don't, give it a wiggle to see if it'll hold, and bring along a backup!

SprngGrnGoddess
February 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wow your lovely shiny hair almost made me want to have dark hair...beautiful bun, thanks for sharing, I shall try in the morning I think, just not sure if my hair is long enough yet :D

ole gray mare
February 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Wow! That's gorgeous. I could maybe even do that because it doesn't look too complicated! :lol:

frizzinator
February 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM
It looks like the celtic knot until it is anchored through the wrapped hair.

podo
February 17th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I take it back, because of the "snail" part, it holds nicely even with 1 toy. :)

I don't think mine looks like any of the ones here, but I was in a hurry. Will try again shortly and will post results.

podo
February 17th, 2011, 02:51 PM
This didn't come out very "snail" but it holds VERY well - and it's a start at least!

http://images107.fotki.com/v71/photos/0/1708930/9139968/erreiscardinalwoodnautilusfork-vi.jpg

curlsgalore
February 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM
This didn't come out very "snail" but it holds VERY well - and it's a start at least!

http://images107.fotki.com/v71/photos/0/1708930/9139968/erreiscardinalwoodnautilusfork-vi.jpg

Very pretty!

I am going to try and post a pic soon.

SprngGrnGoddess
February 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Lol, I tried this today, but my hair isn't really long enough ( it tapers too much at the moment) and it ended up looking like one of the little baby snails I took pictures of in the winter...

podo
February 18th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Much better today!! (forgive the [lack of] picture quality - these were taken on my cell, one over my shoulder in the mirror and the other by a coworker) The 1st pic is a better pic overall, but doesn't show the whole bun very well. The 2nd pic shows the whole bun, but I had to lighten it so you could see it. These were taken about 2 min apart, but they look reversed because one was in the mirror and the other wasn't.

http://images12.fotki.com/v216/photos/0/1708930/9139968/baerreiszebrawoodnautilusfork2-vi.jpg

http://images28.fotki.com/v998/photos/0/1708930/9139968/nbaerreiszebrawoodnautilusfork-vi.jpg

Yosha
February 19th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Lol, I tried this today, but my hair isn't really long enough ( it tapers too much at the moment) and it ended up looking like one of the little baby snails I took pictures of in the winter...
Baby snails are cute, the bun must be cute too I think!

It's lovely to see how the bun looks in everyone's hair. I'm still working on mine and I managed to have it look a bit less sloppy than my other picture. The first picture is what it looks like when I do the bun as in the tutorial and wrap the rest of the length another time around the bun. The second is when I wrap the length another time around the base before making the loop. The fork is inserted through the loop.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/5434453932_df94280723_m.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5433833479_6d4c10d455_m.jpg

podo
February 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
The second is when I wrap the length another time around the base before making the loop. The fork is inserted through the loop.

So, um, how do you do this exactly? Do you just twist tightly to make it wrap, like the start of a cinnamon bun? Then loop on top of that and continue?

eshta
February 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
This is a really lovely looking bun and good vid., with a little over 28'' I just don't have enough length yet. I have a puny tail to pull trough the loop and that won't hold. Beautiful, can't wait to wear this.

RetroKitten
February 24th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I can't see the video- Youtube barred it for my country :(

it's the same for me, too bad, because from what I can see on the pics it looks like an amazing updo!

Yosha
February 25th, 2011, 10:11 AM
So, um, how do you do this exactly? Do you just twist tightly to make it wrap, like the start of a cinnamon bun? Then loop on top of that and continue?
Sorry for my late response, I didn't check back. I do the extra wrapping when I'm holding the first loop, and after the extra wrapping I make the small loop. My apologies I wasn't very clear on that:D

EvaSimone
February 25th, 2011, 04:34 PM
It's awesome to see everyone's variations on the snail bun! They look great!

it's the same for me, too bad, because from what I can see on the pics it looks like an amazing updo!

I think it's because of the song I used. Give me a few days and I will upload one without a song. Sorry about that.

serious
March 12th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Here's my attempt :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2446&pictureid=98071

It's a perfect bun to show off my new pair of sticks! ( the first ones I didn't make myself :) )

curlsgalore
March 12th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Here's my attempt :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2446&pictureid=98071

It's a perfect bun to show off my new pair of sticks! ( the first ones I didn't make myself :) )

Are those quattro sticks?! They are gorgeous!!

serious
March 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Are those quattro sticks?! They are gorgeous!!

No, not quattro :)

these were made by our beautful frost pattern, and they ARE gorgeous!
have a look at my braid, buns etc. album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2446) for more pics :)

Lostsoule77
March 13th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I just tried this and I def. need to get the sliding technique down better, but I loved it. Plus it finally allows me to use this beautiful clip I bought years ago that I've never been able to use! Yeah. :) Thank you so much for sharing and especially for doing the video (it's always harder for me to do with just directions and/or pics.)