PDA

View Full Version : Sun damage

April1
February 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Does the sun damage hair??...im guessing it would, it burns the skin!! If so, what measures can be taken to prevent this. I thought of the usual oils, but could this perhaps 'cook' hair when in the sunshine.

Madora
February 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Wear a white scarf to protect your hair in the sun. It will keep your scalp from being sunburned as well as protect your hair.

Lianna
February 6th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I've seen some leave ins with SPF, usually for dyed hair, I'm not sure.

milagro
February 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM
It does, I see it every summer. My hair gets bleached and dry. I try to protect it (mostly just covering head) but often forget... Use hats and scarves as Madora suggested or at least do it up hiding the most fragile ends within.

rocket_surgeon
February 6th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I spend at least ten hours a day outside in the summer for work. I've been thinking of wearing something like this (http://www.ehow.com/how_4886593_tie-head-wrap-knot.html) all the time, and doing some extra deep conditioning on the side.

I wonder if there are any particularly good leave-ins to prevent sun damage; most of the websites I've found on summer hair care just say to use jojoba or coconut oil, which most of us already do.

Juneii
February 6th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Wear a white scarf to protect your hair in the sun. It will keep your scalp from being sunburned as well as protect your hair.

I wish I knew this when I went outside to read. It was so hot and sunny today that my hair was burning hot and I got lightheaded after going back inside.

McFearless
February 6th, 2011, 11:37 PM
The sun bleaches light hair and makes black hair dull.

I wear some type of hat when I go outside and I put my hair in a bun to minimize sun exposure. Well I always put my hair in a bun but still :p

milagro
February 6th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I wish I knew this when I went outside to read. It was so hot and sunny today that my hair was burning hot and I got lightheaded after going back inside.
Take care! This can be dangerous, I had sunstrokes twice. If you feel feverish or sick headache or nausea please don't force yourself to do anything, don't take any painkillers and just stay in bed, if it gets worse call a doctor! I hope you're ok now but just in case :waving:

UltraBella
February 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I spend at least ten hours a day outside in the summer for work. I've been thinking of wearing something like this (http://www.ehow.com/how_4886593_tie-head-wrap-knot.html) all the time, and doing some extra deep conditioning on the side.

I wonder if there are any particularly good leave-ins to prevent sun damage; most of the websites I've found on summer hair care just say to use jojoba or coconut oil, which most of us already do.

I love the head wrap idea, but where would I put all my hair ??

Milo
February 7th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I do a scarf-covered bun (but I do that in the winter too to protect from cold and wind)

jasper
February 7th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Oh yes. I had an argument with a hair dresser once about whether or not I had colored my hair. I worked outside and usually wore a hat, but with my pony tail sticking out the back. I remember he picked up a handful of my length and stretched it out to show me my "undyed roots" and I shook my head and said "sun damage!"

honeyblonde
February 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hi April1, try Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-In Cream, it has a UV shield! I live in FL and I am very sensitive to the :sun:. I also lighten my hair.:scared:

Sorry, I get a little smilie happy!! :D

monsterna
February 7th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Threads like this make me glad to be a hermit. Even in Houston.

honeyblonde
February 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Monsterna, LOL Me too!! :flamed:

skyblue
February 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I never noticed any damage to my hair in the summer, does dark hair hold up better in the sun??

NotInPortland
February 7th, 2011, 01:13 PM
My hair usually goes lighter in the summer but I've always liked that it does to be honest....:neutral: There's no way I could be bothered wrapping up my hair and covering it everytime I went out in the sun in the summer unless it was scorching out (which it never has or ever will be where I live:p).

NotInPortland
February 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Oh and forgot to mention that my hair never looks like it has been damaged or anything it seems to hold up just fine and is just a bit lighter.

krissykins
February 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hi April1, try Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-In Cream, it has a UV shield! I live in FL and I am very sensitive to the :sun:. I also lighten my hair.:scared:

Sorry, I get a little smilie happy!! :D

Does anyone know what exactly gives it the UV shield? I used to use this product and I loved it, but I gave it up when I stopped using cones. Are there any cone-free products with UV shields?