PDA

View Full Version : Color Conflictions

KellyGormley
February 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I have been having this problem for years, no matter what I do, no matter how hard i try, no matter what color it is, I am never happy with my hair color. I'll be happy with it for a week or two generally and then I hate it. I've done every shade of red imaginable, I've been light brown, ashy brown, medium brown, and and really dark brown (almost looks black, which is my current hair color) its been black (which looked terrible) and Ive been orange-y blond, white blond, silver blond, and golden blond however blond wasn't the most flattering shade for me it looked ok as long as I wore makeup which got annoying fast. I don't know what to do, my boyfriend says Red looks amazing on me and I believe him, i'm just never happy with the shade. I'm wondering if Its because i'm unhappy with the length of my hair and so no matter what unhappy, or if i'm doomed to hate my hair color forever. I'm tired of not having a color I love, it gets tiring and it ruins the day when I look at my hair and hate it, it just makes things so depressing. What should I do, somebody help me :(

iris
February 6th, 2011, 08:41 PM
That happened to me when I dyed my hair with henna and later with elumen, I was just never happy with the color and always examining it and obsessing over slight nuances. I think a big part of it for me was that when you (general you) dye your hair, you take control over what color it is, and when you have control over what color it is, it has to be perfect somehow. Something like that.

I never had that problem with my natural color, not before I started dyeing it, and not after I quit dyeing either. I have grays and whites now (that I blend in somewhat with a blond temp dye) and even they don't bother me to the extent that dyed hair did. And the rest is what they call 'dishwater blond', so it's not like it's a super desirable/popular color. I like it though. It's like, I can't fault my hair for the color it has naturally, but once I start messing with it I get picky about it.

I don't know if going natural would work for you, but it has definitely helped me, I'm not at all obsessive about it anymore.

kwaniesiam
February 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Find a flattering base color for most of your hair, then I'd suggest adding a few streaks of a brighter color in the front around your face or in your bangs, if you have them. Perhaps a multi-dimensional color would work better for you, some highlights and lowlights? Do you prefer your hair light or dark? If you look good in red, then go with red, but add some darker or lighter pieces as well to break it up and keep you from getting bored with it.

KellyGormley
February 6th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I hate my natural hair color, I've never hated a color more. Its like ash brown and I think it is so boring.
Yeah I think a lot of my problem is the color i like I always see on someone else and it never comes out right and I just hate my hairs length so much that I don't like the way it looks no matter what I do. But for years now my hair has been the same length and I have gone back and forth between red and dark brown and I just can't decide.
I always want to go between these 2 shades of color and Im never happy
http://oi55.tinypic.com/1zdccw1.jpg
http://oi53.tinypic.com/96lqv4.jpg

spidermom
February 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I think maybe you are unhappy about something else in your life that is much harder to change, so you focus on your hair. You can change that overnight, but since it's not the problem, the change in hair color doesn't satisfy. Look deeper.

Malibu Barbie
February 6th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I love red hair. I would dye it and it lasted maybe a week. Red is the hardest color to keep in hair. It then became a really unnatural brown with lots of blonde coming through. I gave up and went back to my blonde hair. I get tired of it. Try and find a color that looks best and maintain it. That's what I ended up doing.

torrilin
February 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I hate my natural hair color, I've never hated a color more. Its like ash brown and I think it is so boring.
Yeah I think a lot of my problem is the color i like I always see on someone else and it never comes out right and I just hate my hairs length so much that I don't like the way it looks no matter what I do. But for years now my hair has been the same length and I have gone back and forth between red and dark brown and I just can't decide.
I always want to go between these 2 shades of color and Im never happy
http://oi55.tinypic.com/1zdccw1.jpg
http://oi53.tinypic.com/96lqv4.jpg

*peers at hair, yup, still dark ash brown*

*peers at hair again... nope, still not boring*

I'm very pale, and my face is quite round, and my hair was always incredibly straight seeming (and it's a nightmare to deal with in anything shorter than APL). Basically, I wind up looking like a Victorian porcelain doll. Not very fashionable, but... it's the way I am.

If I work with my natural high contrast coloring, I end up striking most people as very pretty. And if I wear clothes that suit me, I look pretty distinctive, since the shapes and styles that suit me are not often in fashion, but they tend to be very classic looking.

(and yes, it does often fill me with rage that it is not ok to just be me... but that is how fashion works...)

Like Spidermom says, it sounds like you're blaming your hair when other stuff is involved.

(and um... that second pic *is* your natural color from what you say... so I feel pretty damn sure it isn't your hair color that is the problem)