PDA

View Full Version : This is so weird. (Unnaturally fast growth)

ibleedlipstick
February 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
About two weeks ago, I went off all of my medications/vitamins. It was midterm week, and I ran out, and I forgot to buy them. I was only on a mild antihistamine, and I haven't had any issues, and I was on a multi-pack of vitamins along with a hair, skin, and nails vitamin. It was a lot of pills in a day.

I recently started using castor oil once a week, and yesterday was the third time I have applied it. I started Weight Watchers on the 18th of January, and I have been working out 3x a week for about 40 minutes for about three months now. I have been a bit more energetic in the past couple weeks, but I have started drinking more caffeine and this Celsius energy drink thing too. Nothing major, really.

Today, I saw a friend who was out of the country for the last three weeks, and she was like "Wow, your hair has grown!" It was nice to hear, because I was wondering if it was all in my head.

I dyed my hair less than two weeks ago, and I have about an inch of growth. This is completely strange, because up until recently, I have been losing hair like mad and not really having much hair growth.

Doesn't it seem really strange that my hair would start to grow now? The only thing that has changed has been my LACK of vitamins and the castor oil, which sounds great but I highly doubt speeds up hair growth. Plus, I have been somewhat stressed because I can't find a job, and I recently ended a year-long relationship. Oddly enough, I have just felt happier in general, less argumentative.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know what could have caused this.

Lianna
February 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Castor oil speeds hair growth for some people, that's why I bought it!

Castor oil for hair growth? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18265)

princessp
February 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Not weird at all, check out my photo album and you will see the huge castor oil growth I had too! I'm glad it works for you too. :cheese:

krissykins
February 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
It could be the exercise stimulating hair growth because of increased blood flow to the scalp?

Or something like that :p but the castor oil probably helped as well

Cirafly24
February 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I'd say it was the combination of the castor oil, the exercise, and the healthier diet. Just my :twocents:

On a side note, I'm doing Weight Watchers too! I started on December 2nd, and I love it. :D

McFearless
February 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Congrats! That is very fast growth but exercise always makes my hair grow fast. I'm glad you're no longer stressed out too. :)

spidermom
February 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I haven't changed a thing, and my hair has been on turbo-grow lately as well.
??? but I like it

Debra83
February 6th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Okay, guys, us jealous people want you all to figure out what is making this happen for you, bottle it, then send it to us, okay?!!! Please?

Malibu Barbie
February 6th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Exercise always helps!!

Mesmerise
February 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Nice! I concur with the others that it's probably a combination of extra exercise, healthier eating, and the castor oil. Also, while you may have stopped with the vitamins, you're possibly still getting the benefits from when you were taking them.

The only downside to super fast growing hair is that you need to colour more frequently ;)

milagro
February 6th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I've heard about castor oil doing wonders for hair but not to THAT extent :eyebrows:
Your stories make me think maybe I should try it after all (I've had a bad experience with using it on my skin).

ibleedlipstick
February 6th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I've heard about castor oil doing wonders for hair but not to THAT extent :eyebrows:
Your stories make me think maybe I should try it after all (I've had a bad experience with using it on my skin).

It is really bad on my skin — I used it on my eyelashes every day for about a week, and had the biggest blemish I have ever had in my entire life come up on my nose, near my eye. Needless to say, it is no longer used on my face. But I use it before bed once a week on my hair, and rinse the next morning, and have had no issue.

I'd say it was the combination of the castor oil, the exercise, and the healthier diet. Just my :twocents:

On a side note, I'm doing Weight Watchers too! I started on December 2nd, and I love it. :D

Weight Watchers is awesome! I think I might actually be successful with a diet program this time :cheese:

Nice! I concur with the others that it's probably a combination of extra exercise, healthier eating, and the castor oil. Also, while you may have stopped with the vitamins, you're possibly still getting the benefits from when you were taking them.

The only downside to super fast growing hair is that you need to colour more frequently ;)

It does suck! I have these roots and am like GRRR. Although, I can't complain too much. The growth is awesome!

Phalaenopsis
February 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I have a lot of hairgrowth too lately!

Maybe we're all turning into hairmutants with fast growing hair? :D

milagro
February 6th, 2011, 11:49 PM
It is really bad on my skin — I used it on my eyelashes every day for about a week, and had the biggest blemish I have ever had in my entire life come up on my nose, near my eye. Needless to say, it is no longer used on my face. But I use it before bed once a week on my hair, and rinse the next morning, and have had no issue.

Thanks! I know it's very hard to rinse out, do you use shampoo? SLS kind or SLS-free?

With my experiment I had no blemishes or maybe they were just not noticeable for my whole face was peeling off :eek:

Cirafly24
February 7th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Weight Watchers is awesome! I think I might actually be successful with a diet program this time :cheese:

Yay! me too :) come check out the Weight Watchers thread in the Off-topic forum.

I have a lot of hairgrowth too lately!

Maybe we're all turning into hairmutants with fast growing hair? :D

I'd be cool with that.

alwayssmiling
February 7th, 2011, 03:47 AM
My hair hardly grew from October to December. But January I grew a good inch which seemed to appear overnight (I'm sure it didn't but it felt like a sudden spurt). I have been ill, and have stopped taking my hair vitamins. So I have no explanation to the sudden growth. Not complaining.

hibiscus
February 7th, 2011, 06:15 AM
--------------

Lianna
February 7th, 2011, 06:24 AM

I've heard from waist to TB in less than a year.

WritingMum
February 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I think it's conceivable that the fact that you are happier may also be a factor. You may have suppressed some hair growth for a time, putting your physical energy into the difficult situation. Please don't anybody take this the wrong way. No one should leave a SO in order to get hair growing again. But I do believe our bodies and spirits are connected and there may be a correlation.

AnnaJamila
February 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
ONE INCH?!?!?!?!?! Wow you're lucky!!! :) Haha, I'm going to have to find some castor oil...

Dina L.
February 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks! I know it's very hard to rinse out, do you use shampoo? SLS kind or SLS-free?

I also use castor oil (mixed with EVOO 1:1) and it isn't hard at all to wash it out. I use sls-free baby bath and with 2 shampooing I'm done. (I also shampoo twice when I don't put oils on my scalp before hair washing.)

krissykins
February 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Okay, guys, us jealous people want you all to figure out what is making this happen for you, bottle it, then send it to us, okay?!!! Please?

Yes please! :p

bunzfan
February 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
About two weeks ago, I went off all of my medications/vitamins. It was midterm week, and I ran out, and I forgot to buy them. I was only on a mild antihistamine, and I haven't had any issues, and I was on a multi-pack of vitamins along with a hair, skin, and nails vitamin. It was a lot of pills in a day.

I recently started using castor oil once a week, and yesterday was the third time I have applied it. I started Weight Watchers on the 18th of January, and I have been working out 3x a week for about 40 minutes for about three months now. I have been a bit more energetic in the past couple weeks, but I have started drinking more caffeine and this Celsius energy drink thing too. Nothing major, really.

Today, I saw a friend who was out of the country for the last three weeks, and she was like "Wow, your hair has grown!" It was nice to hear, because I was wondering if it was all in my head.

I dyed my hair less than two weeks ago, and I have about an inch of growth. This is completely strange, because up until recently, I have been losing hair like mad and not really having much hair growth.

Doesn't it seem really strange that my hair would start to grow now? The only thing that has changed has been my LACK of vitamins and the castor oil, which sounds great but I highly doubt speeds up hair growth. Plus, I have been somewhat stressed because I can't find a job, and I recently ended a year-long relationship. Oddly enough, I have just felt happier in general, less argumentative.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know what could have caused this.

I have a question has you just been massaging it in your roots?

haikitteh
February 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have a question has you just been massaging it in your roots?

This is my question too. I'm confused about how anything could make your hair grow faster just by putting it on the "dead" part rather than the scalp. Or ingesting it, which it doesn't sound like you are doing.

Avital88
February 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Ohh wow! Thats great news! Congrats with the whole inch of growth! I just started using castor oil too, applied it 3 times now, have to do it end of the week again.. Plus i exercise a few times a week, sometimes 2 sometimes 5 days.
I really hope i will get much growth too :D

milagro
February 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I also use castor oil (mixed with EVOO 1:1) and it isn't hard at all to wash it out. I use sls-free baby bath and with 2 shampooing I'm done. (I also shampoo twice when I don't put oils on my scalp before hair washing.)
Thanks :flower: Do you keep it long or just a couple of hours?

ibleedlipstick
February 7th, 2011, 03:34 PM
This is my question too. I'm confused about how anything could make your hair grow faster just by putting it on the "dead" part rather than the scalp. Or ingesting it, which it doesn't sound like you are doing.

I massage it into my roots — I swear, it is like glue. There is no way on this earth that I would ever put it onto my length. Ever. I would never get it out.

Admittedly, I am skeptical about it increasing hair growth. That is why I made this post, because I'm not finding a lot of good, scientific evidence as to why it should make my hair grow. I decided to try it because it was super cheap, and I don't really have much to lose — it wasn't going to hurt my hair.

I use this John Frieda root awakening shampoo to wash it out... my hair loves it! Then I use a random coney conditioner, and use my TT to brush it about 2 minutes in to the conditioning, and then while I am rinsing my hair out. I wash my hair when I first get in, and then shove conditioner onto it. I let the conditioner sink in while I do everything else, and tend to leave it on a bit longer on the day I use castor oil. (I generally shave that day. It is winter, and I am too lazy to shave more than once a week. No one ever sees my legs :) )

ETA: I use it undiluted on my roots, and I leave it on overnight.

vanity_acefake
February 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Yay to your amazing growth. Whatever you are doing it is obviously working.
I have caster oil. Must try it.

julliams
February 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM
This thread inspired me to try it too. I mixed mine with a hair and scalp elixir oil that I aready had http://www.perfectpotion.com.au/Online-Shop/Products/hair-and-scalp-elixir.aspx?ProductCategoryId=107424.

I experienced a little bit of discomfort at first - kind of like it was a little itchy but then it seemed to be absorbed and I went on to leave it on all day and night. All I did was mix about 2 drops of caster oil with the same of the elixir and just used my fingertips to distribute it over my scalp. I wasn't really interested in getting it onto the hair because I didn't want to look oily. I have a dry scalp anyway so it worked out fine. I feel like it got totally absorbed because there is no oily feeling this morning.

McFearless
February 7th, 2011, 11:42 PM

You apply it to the scalp only. Its very thick so its best to use a q-tip or dropper to drop the oil on the scalp.

PrincessBob
February 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Crazy indeed. Congrats on the extra length and lifestyle changes that seem to be making you happy. :party:

candlesandfish
February 8th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I've heard from waist to TB in less than a year.

I did waist to TB in about 6 months, but my hair grows obnoxiously fast (and I'm 5'1', so it's less space to travel I suppose)

I've never really noticed a difference in hair growth speeds with me, and that's just with pretty much benign neglect - I wash it twice a week, wear it in a bun and ignore it most of the time.

I know, I'm horrible :p

Mesmerise
February 8th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Wow! Waist to tailbone for me is like 7.5" despite me being only 4'11" LOL... I think I must have a weird body... I'd love to see me grow that much hair in just a few months hehe... I'd need to grow almost 2" a month!

I try not to pay too much attention to how fast my hair grows... but I can't help noticing how much regrowth I get after colouring :rolleyes:. I need to just forget about it and not think about it all the time!

candlesandfish
February 8th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I did about 4 inches in 3 months from October to January. My hair was ratty at the ends and driving me bonkers at a few inches past tailbone, so I got my hairdresser (who just about fell over in shock at the request, she's been trimming my hair for a while now) to take 4ish inches off, to just above tailbone. Best decision I could have made, got rid of all the unhealthy ends, and it grew out again by the 3 month mark which is when I get my hair cut.

Debra83
February 13th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Wow. Maybe there is truth to the rumor that your hair grows quicker after a trim...hope so, I just had it trimmed on Friday.

uwodahikamama
February 13th, 2011, 06:18 AM
There is a vine here in the woods of NC that doubles hair growth... the Indians have been using it for years and I tried some and it really works! Makes it thicker too. They call it great/grape vine? In the summer months you go cut one in half and let it drain into a jar. Then you rinse your hair with it as long as it's clean and dry. It really works!!

ravenreed
February 13th, 2011, 07:39 AM
My hair grows in fits and spurts. I get months with hardly any growth and then there are months with insane growth. It is really easy to tell on my hair because I have a goodly number of silver hairs in the front that let me know exactly how much growth since my last dye job. That is why I consider my average to be about 5/8" a month. In any single month it is uneven, but over the course of a year, that is about right.