PDA

View Full Version : pilli torti

April1
February 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM
My disgusting hair condition pic, pilli torti...taken in a very bright light to pick it all up...this was after naturally drying. I always apply jojoba oil at this stage, and it does calm it down a lot. My avatar pic was just after getting it cut and still wet, so not normally that dark. http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s94/PilliTor/P1070804.jpg

UltraBella
February 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I am sure it is a very frustrating condition to have, but I don't think it's disgusting at all. :flower:

Mesmerise
February 7th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Hmmm my hair looks almost like that if I don't put oil or something on it too... I've never heard of pili torti before today!

I don't know that I actually have it... but yeah... that does look similar to mine when air dried if I haven't done anything to settle those frizzly bits.

April1
February 7th, 2011, 02:37 AM
let me explaine pilli torti then:)...it is basically fragile twisting hair. The hair twists on its axis to 180 degrees at different intervals along the shaft. Thats a quick description. I dont know about mine doing that as what each and every hair, new hairs too come out with like a little squiggle and then it will start growing normally. You know sometimes i have to pluck one every now and then from the top of my head, as it looks like a pubic hair lol. Sounds ok and that you could just cut right across the hair when a certain length to get rid of it..but as we all know we loose and grow thousands of hairs all at different lengths all the time so cutting of each squiggle would be hard to do, and im not sure if id then end up with layered looking hair or not....Although, the only way i got my hair long and ok looking when in my late 20's was to get the hairdresser to twist sections of hair and carefully cut off the squiggles...i cannot find that hair dresser anymore, and its been hard trying to find one that is willing to do as i ask as they all think its not a good idea.

That reminds me...where in Aust can i get a good quality pair of haircutting scissors without costing the earth and that wont do more damage cutting with a regular pair.

Thanks.

Mesmerise
February 7th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Hmm I also get the occasional weird squiggly hair too??! I honestly don't think mine's quite as bad as yours...but this has made me wonder! I'll do some investigating next time my hair's freshly washed and not oiled. I think most of my hairs are okay, but I do get some that are just :confused::confused: hairs!

Or it could be that I just have strange hair ;)

I actually got the scissors I use from one of those clipper sets. I think my dad bought it to clip his dog's hair (LOL) only it was designed for humans and didn't work well...and I ended up taking it home in case it would work for my dog (it didn't) and ended up just taking the scissors out and using them on my hair! They seem to work quite well, but I guess they're not as good as proper hair cutting scissors! Or at least, better quality ones!

April1
February 7th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Lol, i think i definitly have strange hair, found one of them once that changed from very very course to normal to course to thin up and down the length. I do notice it in people with good hair, but only a few compared to me. My 8 yr old daughter has glorious, lovely thick healthy hair, but after washing you can see a few around with that slight curl, but not quit the squiggle. Actually i see a lot of people with that, so whatever it is that causes the hair to start out like that, then i just have an overload of it.

Lianna
February 7th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I don't think is that bad, just a bit frizzy. I just searched the condition out of curiosity. :) A lot of wavies/curlies have hair similar to that when they brush/comb too much/wash too much and never oil. All things I used to do and had hair similar to yours. And by wash too much I really mean too much, today I wash once everyday with shampoo, that's not too much (at least for me). There was a short time where the heat was unbearable and I washed 3x a day!

While it's not the same cause as your condition maybe the same "remedies" can apply. I think that cutting the parts you feel that needs cutting is a good idea, even if you do it yourself. One thing some wavies do is dry in a bun, slightly oiled from the middle down. It kinda "confines" the hair to stay in place, and it works for some, while others might get some strange waves. You might need to find the right confinement technique for you (bun, rollers, banding, braids).

I know hair care isn't one size fits all, and by no means I mean wavies/curlies should do this or that, like I said oiling. It's just a suggestion that works for some.

I also would like to add that you have a lovely hair color (even though isn't an accurate picture). :flower:

April1
February 7th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks Lianna. And I agree with your comment about same remedies applying. Its just all about finding out whats good and trying to work with what we have.