PDA

View Full Version : Oil Poo???

julliams
February 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'm guessing this means adding oil to shampoo. Are we talking 1:1 ratio of oil to shampoo? Do you add it to the bottle or just put some in your hand and rub together?

What have been the benefits to you of doing this?

The reason I ask is that I have a whole bottle of Coconut oil that has an expiry date of September 2011 and given that it's taken over a year to get through the other one, I'm going to have some left over past the expiry unless I find another use for it.

Thanks

Mesmerise
February 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I'm no expert yet, as I've only been doing the oil poo for the past week ;)

What I did was I made up a 1:1 mixture of melted coconut oil plus shampoo in an old washed out shampoo bottle and I've been using that ever since. I didn't make up a full bottle, as I didn't know how it would last and I didn't know what proportions to use.

However, it seems okay to do it this way!

My hair seems a bit silkier since I started but it's still frizzy. However, I've been able to go without conditioner since using this method, so it's sort of like a 2 in 1 lol. My hair isn't as silky as with conditioner, but it hasn't been hard to comb out either, so it isn't tangly.

Othala
February 7th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Expiry dates on oil are meaningless, IMO. An oil past its expiry date - even years past its expiry date - can be absolutely fine. They key thing is rancidity and for that you only need your sense of smell.

spidermom
February 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Agree with Othala.

Ratio of oil to shampoo varies. There is a very long thread about this, which I would link for you if I knew how.

ktani
February 7th, 2011, 06:55 AM
There is a thread on the topic here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063.

mellie89
February 7th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I just put about a tablespoon of coconut oil in my palm, add shampoo to about a 1:1 ratio, and mix it up with my fingers. I don't condition afterward. You will have to experiment to find out what ratio works the best for you. :) It is also recommended that you use a clear shampoo with a relatively small number of ingredients.

The benefits, for me, have been less frizz, more pronounced waves, and more body and shine. My hair feels heavier/thicker, also.

rags
February 7th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Here is the original thread too, which has a wealth of information: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025

WritingMum
February 7th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the link, ktani.